The '2008 is my year to lose weight!' thread

[quote name='CocheseUGA']We need some cheapass diet recommendations. I know I'm not the only one who is having to do this on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Doesn't help that I'm in a good amount of dept, and a drinking problem.

I haven't been contributing to any of these types of threads but since fall 06 I've lost somewhere between 40-45 lbs. My record distance before tiring out or losing interest or getting sore in a cardio run is 5.7 miles(motivated by a whore ex gf).

[quote name='CocheseUGA']We need some cheapass diet recommendations. I know I'm not the only one who is having to do this on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

My only suggestion is an obvious one. Buy in bulk from BJs or CostCo. That's the problem with healthy foods, they aren't cheap (usually).

When I go to CostCo I pretty much get the same thing. 8 packs of canned chicken, 12 packs of light tuna in water, 2 boxes of cereal (with 2 bags in each), 3 pounds of almonds and whole grain bread. Add in a variety of fruit and you're looking at almost 70.00 :whistle2:#

Going to Bally's for the past month and then to the school gym today was a huge change. The gym was packed with baseball players getting ready for the season, and I never noticed before, but some of the guys are so sloppy when they lift. I'm not sure if it's because they want to do more weight to show off, but all I kept seeing was unbalanced bench presses, uneven flys, bicep curls that weren't fully extended, etc.

I weigh in on Fridays, lost 3 pounds this week, that puts my total since Jan 2 at 9.4 pounds...4.44% from my starting body weight. I'm now at 202.4...getting close to being under 200 for the first time in years and years...

Still haven't started any exercise program (waiting for Wii Fitness), still planning on doing my complete and total cheat day from sundown tonight (deep dish spinach and mushroom pizza) to sundown tomorrow (Big Mac for lunch)...and then have my six solid days....I'm happy losing 2 or 3 a week until April....then when I hit 190 or 185, I'll be happy as a clam...

Seriously, my one cheat day makes all the difference in the world. Knowing that anything I crave...all I have to do is wait six days (at the most) makes it a cinch to diet and diet huge the other six days...additionally as my appetite is decreasing, I won't nearly eat as much.

Crap... damn rain caused my 5k to be cancelled... well that combined with mid 30 temps... at least it saved me $20 and a trip downtown... but all that training...oh well... there is a 10k next weekend

This past week was probably the worst week I've had regarding cheat meals. Monday I ate quite a few pastries after having a personal pan pizza, Wednesday I ate an extra sandwich in between lunch and dinner, Thursday and Friday I ate from Chipotle twice, and Saturday's breakfast and lunch were gourmet pastries, wraps, and sandwiches.

I was a little nervous to see how much I gained but my weight didn't change at all. I was pretty relieved and excited since I can start enjoying non-healthy foods more without it affecting my weight. I guess it is true when they say your metabolism does get much higher as you become more fit.

Ran a 10K race this weekend in 45 degree drizzly wet conditions and still posted a personal best by 3 seconds, 6th overall, and 1st in my age group with a nice trophy to place with the others on my entertainment center

[quote name='zman73']Ran a 10K race this weekend in 45 degree drizzly wet conditions and still posted a personal best by 3 seconds, 6th overall, and 1st in my age group with a nice trophy to place with the others on my entertainment center[/QUOTE]

Good for you!

I've lost about 4 lbs so far (231 down from 235) my last workout ended abruptly.... I started getting headaches during my 3rd set.... I tried to start the next exercise but it was bad... so I went to try and do some light cardio and drink water, but ti didn't go away, so I stopped. I'm not sure what it was. I went out and had a few drinks the night before but nothing crazy (I was driving).

any ideas? i've been on the same diet for almost 2 months now and never had this happen, so I don't think its a case of too little calories or something. could I have been dehydrated? any other ideas? this ever happen to any of you?

Down to 173. I was going to treat myself to an ice cream sundae but calculating how many hours of cardio I had to do to get rid of this gave me a headache.

photo_nutrition_SN036.jpg

Try to imagine how many calories and grams of fat the sundae contains before you click the link. I literally had to double my estimates. No wonder America is obese, an everyday person wouldn't know how much this "once in a while treat" actually packs. I was shocked at the numbers.

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/Nutrition/product.aspx?Category=Sundaes&id=SN036

I had a lazy week so I didn't workout as much as I wanted to..but I got on the scale today and I lost 2 1/2 lbs!! \\:D/

I still feel kinda sick, but oh well. I hope I can feel better soon so I can make the effort to work out :cry:

Out of curiousity, how often do you guys weigh yourselves and particularly when? I leave my scale out and its interesting to see as you weigh yourself during the day. You can literally be a couple pounds lighter after taking a crap haha. Or when you wake up, weigh yourself before and after you take your morning piss. Its really interesting how every little thing can affect your weight.

Not to crap on you guys who are losing a couple pounds here and there, but I think its better to focus on results you see/feel versus your weight. You might drink a lot of water the day of your weigh in and be upset at the results. Just some thought. :D

I weigh myself once or twice a week, usually right before I jump in the shower. I've actually tried a few times to weigh myself right before or after a piss or a crap, and I don't see much of a loss weighing myself after.

if you weigh yourself every day you will most likely see yourself going up and down a few pounds depending how much water your currently holding, your last meal, etc.

I weigh myself at the same time everyday, just to get some sort of frame of mind.

I've noticed my jawline looks better, one of the first places I lose mass.

Since I am trying to gain weight, I rarely weigh myself... focusing on how defined I look from working out, with my wife nearby to ask her opinion

[quote name='CouRageouS']Out of curiousity, how often do you guys weigh yourselves and particularly when? I leave my scale out and its interesting to see as you weigh yourself during the day. You can literally be a couple pounds lighter after taking a crap haha. Or when you wake up, weigh yourself before and after you take your morning piss. Its really interesting how every little thing can affect your weight.

Not to crap on you guys who are losing a couple pounds here and there, but I think its better to focus on results you see/feel versus your weight. You might drink a lot of water the day of your weigh in and be upset at the results. Just some thought. :D[/quote]

they say the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning when you wake up and after you went to the bathroom. Also its not best to weigh yourself every single day; kinda pointless your weight changes almost every single day; due to the food/liquid you took in and taken out. I know when I lost over 60l+ bs I was weighing myself every week and just relying on the mirror instead of the scale. Looking at the numbers not moving can be discouraging and make alot of people stop dieting.

Yeah I just go by the mirror test. I have noticed that my abs are starting to get fingers again and I am AMPED!!! I also have noticed that I am starting to get pecks again and finally turning my man titties around. I was SOO mad at myself for getting soft but that is what marriage can do to ya boy and girls. I have kinda started smoking again which I am angry about but I AM GOING TO QUIT. I just have to keep telling myself that and getting in that mind frame for good. Its sad that I could go out and drink at not even want one but the minute that I got bored sitting around my appt, I walked down to the store and bought a pick. It was almost like a out of body exp.....

[quote name='CouRageouS']Out of curiousity, how often do you guys weigh yourselves and particularly when? I leave my scale out and its interesting to see as you weigh yourself during the day. You can literally be a couple pounds lighter after taking a crap haha. Or when you wake up, weigh yourself before and after you take your morning piss. Its really interesting how every little thing can affect your weight.

Not to crap on you guys who are losing a couple pounds here and there, but I think its better to focus on results you see/feel versus your weight. You might drink a lot of water the day of your weigh in and be upset at the results. Just some thought. :D[/QUOTE]

I do it every Sunday right when I wake up & go to the bathoom. I have one of them scales that give you your fat %, muscle % and hydration levels. I keep track of them all and the ones that need to decrease have and the ones that increase...have :D

OK, so I'm considering doing some stuff at home to supplement my cardio at the gym. We have a balance ball that I'll probably do some crunches and pushups with. Would a medicine ball help round that out?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']OK, so I'm considering doing some stuff at home to supplement my cardio at the gym. We have a balance ball that I'll probably do some crunches and pushups with. Would a medicine ball help round that out?[/quote]

A balance ball is hit or miss. It messes my back up bad when I use it so I use a small almost medicine ball to do my ab work to save my back

believe it or, what works GREAT for abs are those stupid "ab slider" things (I think there are a few clones as well, you can probably buy one for 20-30 bucks online or on eBay)

I used one for like 5 minutes one day, like it said. I didn't feel anything when I was done, but the next day my abs were SO sore...

[quote name='Kendro']Down to 173. I was going to treat myself to an ice cream sundae but calculating how many hours of cardio I had to do to get rid of this gave me a headache.

photo_nutrition_SN036.jpg

Try to imagine how many calories and grams of fat the sundae contains before you click the link. I literally had to double my estimates. No wonder America is obese, an everyday person wouldn't know how much this "once in a while treat" actually packs. I was shocked at the numbers.

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/Nutrition/product.aspx?Category=Sundaes&id=SN036[/QUOTE]

29g of protein? Holy shit that's gotta be the healthiest thing I've ever seen!

[quote name='MrX']Yeah I just go by the mirror test. [/QUOTE]

I went from 277 in dec, to 265 in Jan. I'm aiming for 240 but I'm more interested in toning my body, than losing weight.

It's working to an extent, as my man titties are definitely shrinking and my shoulders are looking really defined.

I'm really trying to get rid of my stomach and man titties. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[quote name='Moxio']29g of protein? Holy shit that's gotta be the healthiest thing I've ever seen![/QUOTE]

It would take me about 10 miles of running at a decent pace to burn those calories... 1400 calories... wow, I thought the chocolate lava cake I got from Chili's once in a while was bad

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I went from 277 in dec, to 265 in Jan. I'm aiming for 240 but I'm more interested in toning my body, than losing weight.

It's working to an extent, as my man titties are definitely shrinking and my shoulders are looking really defined.

I'm really trying to get rid of my stomach and man titties. Does anyone have any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Cardio.

So I've been eating smaller portions of food, drinking only water, and I've started the following exercise routine:

-Stretch
-Jumping Jacks
-Push-ups
-Jumping Jacks
-Squats
-Jumping Jacks
-Sit-ups
-Jumping Jacks

in a 4 week plan to lose 10 Kgs.
Since I live in rural Japan, there are really no Gyms anywhere near where I live nor can I buy any exercise equipment. This workout doesn't require any special gear and it only takes about 20-30 minutes so I don't have any excuse to NOT do it everyday.

I started REALLY slow, but I'm increasing the number of reps each week as follows:

W1 W2 W3 W4
JJ 30 50 75 100
P 10 15 20 25
JJ 15 25 35 50
SQ 20 25 30 35
JJ 15 25 35 50
S 25 35 45 55
JJ 30 50 75 100

After just one week I lost 2 Kilos! :D

I can't really see any major results just yet, but I FEEL much better and I actually have energy these days. Good stuff.

I might check out WiiFit soon, if I can find it cheap.

in the past few weeks I have fallen in love with the elliptical machine. I can "run" for far longer on one of these than a treadmill and I burn the same amount of calories (if not more, because I can go farther before I get tired). the one at my gym has multiple settings that increase and reduce the amount of resistance (I usually use the Hill climber)

I start every gym trip with 10 minutes on this to get warmed up, then go do some weight lifting, then (depending on what sort of lifting I did) I'll do another 10-30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical machine. I've noticed a pretty good improvement in the distance I cover in a 10 minute period since I started. and I'm starting to see myself lose weight. I can't to see how I'll look in 3 months of this!

[quote name='Gameboy415']So I've been eating smaller portions of food, drinking only water, and I've started the following exercise routine:

-Stretch
-Jumping Jacks
-Push-ups
-Jumping Jacks
-Squats
-Jumping Jacks
-Sit-ups
-Jumping Jacks

in a 4 week plan to lose 10 Kgs.
Since I live in rural Japan, there are really no Gyms anywhere near where I live nor can I buy any exercise equipment. This workout doesn't require any special gear and it only takes about 20-30 minutes so I don't have any excuse to NOT do it everyday.

I started REALLY slow, but I'm increasing the number of reps each week as follows:

W1 W2 W3 W4
JJ 30 50 75 100
P 10 15 20 25
JJ 15 25 35 50
SQ 20 25 30 35
JJ 15 25 35 50
S 25 35 45 55
JJ 30 50 75 100

After just one week I lost 2 Kilos! :D

I can't really see any major results just yet, but I FEEL much better and I actually have energy these days. Good stuff.

I might check out WiiFit soon, if I can find it cheap.[/QUOTE]

thanks man I think I'm going to use this workout routine. I really didn't know what to do.

i met my goal! which i set around August... i was 125 and now im 110, yay! no i just need to work on those abs...

P.S. that sundae looks sooo good. but 1400 calories!? i would have never guessed. i only guessed around 800.

Have you guys checked out the Progresso soups? They're all not bad in calories but there are a few that are only 60 calories per serving (a can's 2 servings). They come in some really good flavors and for the cheapness in us, I usually find them 2 for $3.00 at Wal-Mart. So $1.50 for a filling lunch that's only 120 calories.

And if any of you have ever used Weight Watchers (I haven't) they are 0 points in Weight Watchers.

I have 1 more month till my cruise, so I gotta start getting serious. I've been hitting up the gym twice a day, cardio the first time and lifting the second time. My diet has been awesome and I'm pretty motivated not to drink alcohol (except my birthday is next week, might be hard to resist). I feel like Im getting back to my former self slowly, but my weight keeps going up. Im like 210 now.

Hello Guise.

A combination of being ashamed and not being sure ( don't have a scale ) makes me reluctant to post my height and weight, but lets just say I'm really fat ( but not over 300 ). Here is my workout plan so far:

30 minutes of jumping rope
15 Push-ups ( increasing )
15 Sit-ups ( increasing )
And a 15-25 minute walk

Also, dieting. Is this any good? How much do you think I could lose in, say, 1 year with this plan?

I found two things yesterday that I've fallen in love with: the arm cycle, and throwing a medicine ball in the air from a supine position on the floor. Both really work the triceps and shoulders pretty well.

[quote name='GTzerO']Hello Guise.

A combination of being ashamed and not being sure ( don't have a scale ) makes me reluctant to post my height and weight, but lets just say I'm really fat ( but not over 300 ). Here is my workout plan so far:

30 minutes of jumping rope
15 Push-ups ( increasing )
15 Sit-ups ( increasing )
And a 15-25 minute walk

Also, dieting. Is this any good? How much do you think I could lose in, say, 1 year with this plan?[/quote]

Depends really on what your goals are. Weight loss? Muscle building? What you're doing is mostly a lot of cardio. I suppose that would be ok minimally for weight loss but your results will eventually plateau (probably even less than a year). You need to include a bit more strength training besides push-ups. Really, start lifting weights. Even if you don't want to get bodybuilder big, you can still lift weights (just do more repetitions per set w/ lighter weights). The more muscle you develop, the faster that fat will evaporate.

Also, don't be surprised during that first month when you actually gain weight. That first few months are the hardest for people trying to lose fat because when they see that weight gain, they don't realize it's due to a developing muscle mass. Weight is a terrible measure of fat loss (if that's your goal) since it's just a measure of how much gravity exerts on a body not what's in the body. Get a pair of fat calipers to figure out your own body fat percentage (which is a more accurate way of keeping a rough tab on how much you need to lose). The cheapest is under $10 while the most expensive can run about $250 and up. Since muscle is denser than fat, a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. So that first few months, since the fat is being burnt off & muscle is being more fully developed, you will see a slight weight increase before it tapers off again & the real weight loss can begin. So when you see that slight increase (assuming you were strict enough on yourself not to go off a good exercise & diet regimen), don't get disheartened & give up. Man up and plow on through.

Also, don't diet (if by diet, some limited food selection that most people will try to stick by but will quit 2 weeks in). Instead, gradually change your eating habits so that it stays w/ you for life. Learn to eat more protein vs. carbs & fats. Cut out empty carbs such as soda (and if you MUST have a pseudo-sugary liquid, try fruit juice but in small quantities). If you feel slightly hungry, drink lots of water. Most of the time, this is actually just thirst. Don't punish yourself by going on a weird diet that you'll eventually quit. Instead, every week, find 2-3 healthier alternatives (but still tasty) to your favorite foods. If you've gotta have a roast beef sandwich on white, try using turkey ham on wheat or natural peanut butter on wheat instead. I find that using alternatives doesn't force you to think that you're punishing yourself when on a diet (like most casual dieters feel).

Also, when eating, try eating in reverse order - your biggest meal should be breakfast (and it should still be healthy). Eat six small meals out of the day but out of the six, the biggest should be breakfast, not dinner. The way your body burns fuel (calories) is by adapting to your past eating habits - it can't predict your future moves. So you can trick your body into waking up earlier in order to refuel itself. I was a terrible morning person as a kid but I noticed I tended to wake up earlier as well as feeling refreshed once I trained myself to eat a hearty breakfast & a light dinner. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

My goal is weight loss, but muscle building wouldn't be bad. Thanks for the advice. The only problem is is that I really don't have access to a gym or anything, so I do all of my exercise at home.

But there is a class in school (....yeah...I know ) I can take next school year where they mostly do weight lifting and such. I suppose I can just do cardio up until then.

[quote name='GTzerO']My goal is weight loss, but muscle building wouldn't be bad. Thanks for the advice. The only problem is is that I really don't have access to a gym or anything, so I do all of my exercise at home.

But there is a class in school (....yeah...I know ) I can take next school year where they mostly do weight lifting and such. I suppose I can just do cardio up until then.[/quote]

There are ghetto ways of doing things. Before college & easy access to a gym, I had to make do w/ what I had on hand. There was a park that was about 2 miles from my house so I would run there & back using HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and while there, I would do pull-ups on the jungle gym. In addition to that, I also used many old 2 gallon plastic milk bottles filled w/ water each tied to a rope on the separated wooden handle of a broom as benchpressing. I started out w/ 4 full bottles and would add one 1/3 filled bottles on each side until I was able to do 10 full repetitions and then fill it w/ another 1/3. I was able to get a total of 8 bottles before I had to give it up since I plateaued and could easily do about 40 reps in a set (as well as running out of room on the broon handle to tie more bottles w/o it being awkward to lift. The great thing about that is that it also taught me good form since the bottles would sway and throw me off balance if I tried to lift using momentum only. So I learned how to go slow and keep good form. Another idea might be to go to your local hardware store & pick up some pvc pipes. You can easily make a pull-up bar or a ghetto pulley system. Or if you've got a bit of $$$ to spare, pick up some used weights. There's a ton of stuff you could do just w/ a pair of dumbbells and a medicine ball.

Not a good 5k race for me this sunday... I think I overtrained after topping my 10k record last week... took the day off before the race like I usually do, but it followed 2 days of 7 and 8 mile runs, and as I started to warm up, realized my legs were really sore
Went from 6:12 mile, to 12:52 after 2, then finished the 3.1 in 20:33, still around a 6:37 pace but I had nothing in the tank... my last 5k was 19:34, but Ive also had back problems this week too which has hindered some of my training

Hope to run under 20:20 this saturday at another race

I'm curious if any of you guys take supplements to help your weight loss (either just a standard multivitamin or something else)

what do you take and why?

I just started taking the one a day "weight smart" multivitamin, has green tea extract thats supposed to help with weight loss, anyone else?

I've been on a low carb diet for a month now and I lost about 13lbs. I was at 175 and I'm down to 162. My diet is like a cycle where Mon and Tues is when I eat very low carbs, Wed and Thurs is moderate, Fri and Sat is normal amount, and Sun is when I eat as much carbs I want then I start all over again.

I also lift weights 3-4 times a week and I use a exercise bike for now because of the cold weather. When it gets warmer I'll start running 5 miles again and hope I can run it in 40 mins or less.

[quote name='Drnick']I'm curious if any of you guys take supplements to help your weight loss (either just a standard multivitamin or something else)

what do you take and why?

I just started taking the one a day "weight smart" multivitamin, has green tea extract thats supposed to help with weight loss, anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I drink protein shakes and use pills called redline for lifting. I used to use this thing called N.O.-Xplode for lifting but the taste wasn't that great and a little expensive.

I need to lose about 100lbs by June. Ususally, the only way to do it for me is to focus on a girl I'm interested in. Unfortunately, my depression is like 20x what it used to be, so I have to actually get motivated off of other shit, which there really isn't anything I seek in this life other than love. :(

gl to the fattys and skinnys

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Got down below 230 yesterday...before the Super Bowl.

That's gone now. :([/QUOTE]

False.
Just have a GOOD week and you will be fine! Seriously! :applause: If you feel that bad, throw in an extra workout somewhere.

[quote name='lilboo']False.
Just have a GOOD week and you will be fine! Seriously! :applause: If you feel that bad, throw in an extra workout somewhere.[/QUOTE]

lol, that's what I'm gonna have to do.

bleh the superbowl.

bread's done
Back