The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Monsta Mack']This is really sad lol.[/quote]

Well it can't be too heart breaking if the Sox lose like this. If the Rays continue to play like this, I don't think the Phils staff stands a chance against their offense.

[quote name='javeryh']Don't forget to thank the umpires who gave Hamels every single borderline call (and some non-borderline ones too!).[/quote]

let it go man, the opposite could be said about the calls against moyers who needs a tight strike zone for his precise pitching to be effective.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Well it can't be too heart breaking if the Sox lose like this. If the Rays continue to play like this, I don't think the Phils staff stands a chance against their offense.[/QUOTE]

Well let's hope not. I don't want to see the audience that boos Santa Claus taking the field get the joy of seeing the Phillies win the world series. Cheapy knows what I'm talking about lol.

The Sox are just plain embarrassing. Their entire pitching staff is getting mowed down and the hitters aren't doing jack shit. It's more like the Kansas City Royals or Seattle Mariners versus The Tampa Bay Ownage.

Found the Santa thing, happens to be a long time ago and I was misinformed it happended in a Eagles game.

The incident occurred in 1968. The Eagles were having a miserable season under Joe Kuharich, who may have been the most disliked coach in team history. The team started off the season 0-11 (back then they played 14 games), but the lone bright spot was that the team would be in position to select O.J. Simpson with the first overall pick in the 1969 draft. The Eagles then went on a two-game winning streak and lost out on the first pick. So even when they won, they lost.

The Santa Claus incident occurred during halftime of the last game of the season, a game in which the Eagles were defeated by the Vikings. Back then, the regular season ended before Christmas, so they had a show at halftime. An older person was supposed to be Santa but he didn't show up (or was too sick or drunk depending on which version of the story you hear). In his place, they found a guy in the stands who had come to the game dressed in a Santa suit. He was young, skinny guy who didn't look the part. There have been accounts of the person being drunk, but I'm not sure if that's ever really been verified.

The fan reaction was a combination of a poor portrayal of Santa, frustration with coach Kuharich (who was fired after the '68 season) and the team. Philadelphia had become a football wasteland at the time. Between 1962 and 1977, the Eagles had exactly one winning season. On this day, fans took their frustration out on Santa.

The amazing thing is how the national media hangs on to this. You always hear how "Philly fans boo/threw snowballs at Santa Claus" on ESPN. It happened once, nearly 40 years ago. I'm a Philly fan who was 12 years born in 1968, and I've never booed Santa Claus or thrown a snowball at him.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryanbph']IMO the rays will smoke the phils[/QUOTE]

Thank you captain obvious.

Now where are all the Yankee "fans" to jump on the Ray bandwagon? Come on now.

Philly fans are vicious, but its brought out big time by the national media. I look for the Rays to absolutely crush whoever the Phils throw in games 3/4/5 (well atleast 3/4, I think Hamels is the toughest for them, but a smart move would be to send him back to the Trop)

Edit: This is assuming a miracle doesn't occur between now and 11:30 (end of game at this rate).

If Philly loses to the Devil Rays, they will have lost the World Series to every AL East team (1915 Red Sox, 1950 Yankees, 1983 Orioles, 1993 Blue Jays).

[quote name='ryanbph']IMO the rays will smoke the phils[/quote]

never underestimate the underdog phils, they were supposed to be no match for the HOT dodgers that cleaned the clock of the Cubs, we saw what happened.

[quote name='gokou36']Wow, I turn on the game bottom of 7th inning and now sox are winning. Comeback time![/quote]

Not winning, but playing like they should have been.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Not winning, but playing like they should have been.[/QUOTE]

hrmm, yeah. guess i'm too tired and need sleep soon. well at least they're tied.

Glad I was wrong. I think Francona should pitch Lester Saturday. That way if they win on Saturday, he's got Beckett going on Sunday. But he's going to pitch anyone who can pitch to keep the Sox alive. Just as long as the person pitching isn't Timlin.

It's Maddon's fault. He should have used Howell or Price when they were facing thse 5 lefties in the 8th instead of leaving Wheeler in there.

I'm curious how much Boston is paying the commentators for them to be cheerleading this hard.

(Yes, I realize they aren't, but I'm not sure the announce team could be any more blatantly wanting Boston to win if they were wearing Sox garb)

Great comeback, but I think I'd be getting more unbiased play-by-play listening to Boston radio, and it's ruining the series for me.

[quote name='TheRock88']It's Maddon's fault. He should have used Howell or Price when they were facing thse 5 lefties in the 8th instead of leaving Wheeler in there.[/QUOTE]
He had nothing else. If Howell came in earlier, he's cooked before the 9th and they would've used Chad Bradford, likely against lefties. They stuck with Howell there because they didn't have confidence in anyone behind him.

And who is complaining about the TBS announcers? They're horrible, they've been pro Tampa this entire series. I've been listening to the Sox commentators on the radio, even with the delay difference.

Though I suppose they had to stop kissing Tampa's ass once they blew that lead.

There were a few comments that indicated that the outcome was determined and the Rays had in fact won the game. First one was "The champagne is on ice" and the other was "The people are dancing in the streets in Tampa/St Pete".

With that said, I don't care for the announcers at TBS, but I think the Fox announces are worse.

[quote name='Genocidal']I'm curious how much Boston is paying the commentators for them to be cheerleading this hard.

(Yes, I realize they aren't, but I'm not sure the announce team could be any more blatantly wanting Boston to win if they were wearing Sox garb)

Great comeback, but I think I'd be getting more unbiased play-by-play listening to Boston radio, and it's ruining the series for me.[/QUOTE]

its common for any home team broadcaster to root for their team. You know how much shit the phillies broadcaster talks about the mets. I think he went crazy when we swept them at Citizen's bank ballpark. whats funny is that the Yanks broadcaster and the mets broadcaster Howie Rose....are so critical of their teams. They really had nothing nice to say about the their own teams but more good to say about the others.

with that said, i didnt see tha game and if Ron Darling said the game was over...he should know better.

just watch some of the replays......wow amazing game fellas.

[quote name='integralsmatic']its common for any home team broadcaster to root for their team. You know how much shit the phillies broadcaster talks about the mets. I think he went crazy when we swept them at Citizen's bank ballpark. whats funny is that the Yanks broadcaster and the mets broadcaster Howie Rose....are so critical of their teams. They really had nothing nice to say about the their own teams but more good to say about the others[/quote]I wouldn't expect otherwise from a home broadcast team. TBS is supposed to be the national broadcast, however.

[quote name='craven_fiend']With that said, I don't care for the announcers at TBS, but I think the Fox announces are worse.[/QUOTE]
Tim McCarver is the worst announcer in sports, bar none. I mute the game when he's on.

Time to see what the Rays are made of.

[quote name='speedracer']Tim McCarver is the worst announcer in sports, bar none. I mute the game when he's on.

Time to see what the Rays are made of.[/quote]

Hopefully not much, coming from a Sox fan. But the loser of this series will have fought their asses off, assuming it goes 7 games. The way the Rays played in Boston, they deserved to take the series. The way Boston came back in their last 9 or so outs, from 7 runs down. This has been an amazing series. And it sucks that I won't get to watch the rest of it, barring another marathon game. Nothing like working weekends from 4-2:30 FRI-SUN, but it gives me more time off, so oh well.

[quote name='speedracer']Tim McCarver is the worst announcer in sports, bar none. I mute the game when he's on.
[/quote]

You must not have heard Bill Walton before.

[quote name='Genocidal']I wouldn't expect otherwise from a home broadcast team. TBS is supposed to be the national broadcast, however.[/quote]

I don't know what you are bitching about..they were kissing the rays ass for several games straight. The national broadcasters always do that. Who ever is winning or should win they kiss the ass of. It isn't just tbs...and tim mcarver is the worst announcer in the MLB.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I hope the Dodgers re-sign Manny, he was like a one-man army[/quote]
Yeah but he apparently wants a 150 million for six years. Yikes!

Dodgers will need to figure out their pitching first I think, Lowe is expected not to return and what do you do with Penny?

[quote name='yukine']Yeah but he apparently wants a 150 million for six years. Yikes!

Dodgers will need to figure out their pitching first I think, Lowe is expected not to return and what do you do with Penny?[/quote]
Whoa, I'm not too surprised but whoa...

From what I hear, there were a couple of players not expected back next season

that is a shitload of money for a long time for someone that should be entering the twillight of his career who has a history of not playing when he doesn't feel like it. I know he was a saint for the 2 months in LA but that is a lot to give someone with his history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back