The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
$5 code worked last night on a digital code in store ($10 PSN). Double dip works fine too, save for not working on digital currency online.
I can't really find anything to USE it for, online... I mean, between the $59.99 required for free shipping and not allowing it on digital goods...

$300 repair charge! Yikes that seems really unreasonable.

Does anyone know if GameStop will take in consoles that are having problems?

My Xbox Series X has decided to start displaying graphical glitches in games that makes it seem like (at least) one of it's RAM chips has gone bad. =( I checked Microsoft and it's $299 for them to repair it! I know in the past that they've taken in `broken-ish' systems and just charged a refurb fee (say $50 or so). Overall that would be quicker and cheaper than either sending it to Microsoft or selling it on eBay as broken. =(

Does anyone know if GameStop will take in consoles that are having problems?

My Xbox Series X has decided to start displaying graphical glitches in games that makes it seem like (at least) one of its RAM chips has gone bad. =( I checked Microsoft and it's $299 for them to repair it! I know in the past that they've taken in `broken-ish' systems and just charged a refurb fee (say $50 or so). Overall that would be quicker and cheaper than either sending it to Microsoft or selling it on eBay as broken. =(
Gamestop will take it for a refurb fee I don’t know what that is for the XSX, have you tried calling Microsoft, they have fixed consoles for me outside of the standard warranty window free, it’s always worth calling them first. Don’t attempt a repair yourself, keep the warranty seal intact, this generally helps my case with Microsoft. Bummed they closed the Microsoft stores, this was always an easy way to get a free replacement.

$300 repair charge! Yikes that seems really unreasonable.
While this does seem high, this has been an unusual generation of consoles in terms of repairs, Sony for some odd reason won’t even fix PS5s outside of the warranty window, I’ve had a few I’ve tried to help people with and they send up sending them back without repair and refunding the $270 or so fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pre-order arrived this morning. That was a lot faster than I expected from GS. They must've ran out of the posters though.

They don't ship posters. You're supposed to take your order confirmation to a store if you want one, but stores may not even have enough for their own preorders.

Controllers got a bump I see.

Switch Pro Controller - $44 trade w/ pro
White Dualsense - $27.50 trade w/pro

These are better than they have been.

That is a total ripoff for the Dualsense. Pretty good for the Pro Controller though.
I have a few original launch Dualsense I’ll probably get rid of at that price, I replaced them them with the newer (A) models when they were $50. It’s more than I could get after fees and shipping other places, but the pro controller price is insane, I got a similar price for a few around Christmas with the 60% bump we had.

I have a few original launch Dualsense I’ll probably get rid of at that price, I replaced them them with the newer (A) models when they were $50. It’s more than I could get after fees and shipping other places, but the pro controller price is insane, I got a similar price for a few around Christmas with the 60% bump we had.
I remember when they had them pre-owned in white for $30 a while back I believe? I should've picked some up, but like you said I wanted the (A) Model, and I can't stand white controllers. So I skipped.

Gamestop will take it for a refurb fee I don’t know what that is for the XSX, have you tried calling Microsoft, they have fixed consoles for me outside of the standard warranty window free, it’s always worth calling them first. Don’t attempt a repair yourself, keep the warranty seal intact, this generally helps my case with Microsoft. Bummed they closed the Microsoft stores, this was always an easy way to get a free replacement.

While this does seem high, this has been an unusual generation of consoles in terms of repairs, Sony for some odd reason won’t even fix PS5s outside of the warranty window, I’ve had a few I’ve tried to help people with and they send up sending them back without repair and refunding the $270 or so fee.
I always buy Microsoft Complete. Its dirt cheap and any issues I have is an $50 charge I believe.

So I guess the new strategy on double dipping will be to have a physical item in your cart with the $5 promo applied and after you use your $5 in store on a $10 eshop, Xbox or PSN card, you then order that item for store pickup and wait for them to get it I guess. The hunt for games I want that are just over $5 and are in stock at a GS close by begins.

the monthly $5 does not work unless the item is over $5
It works at the store but not online.

I have a related question now that I can't double dip.

Can I use a $5 monthly and say a $3 reward to get an eshop code for $2 out of pocket? I know you can't combine two of the same denomination reward.

edit: I want to preorder a game from GS and use my rewards. Would using the rewards drop it below $59 and I have to pay shipping?

It works at the store but not online.

I have a related question now that I can't double dip.

Can I use a $5 monthly and say a $3 reward to get an eshop code for $2 out of pocket? I know you can't combine two of the same denomination reward.

edit: I want to preorder a game from GS and use my rewards. Would using the rewards drop it below $59 and I have to pay shipping?
I'm not sure if it has changed with the recent updates but I was once able to do a $5 cert bought with points + $5 monthly coupon to get a $10 Xbox credit for free in store.

I love how helter-skelter it is dealing with GameStop, both from a policy and an employee standpoint.

The whole point of franchises is supposed to be uniformity.

Purchased a $20 eshop card today from the website to not receive it. It’s not even showing up in my recent orders, but I have a confirmation email with an order number. Plus the PayPal transaction is present. When I search my order number the GameStop website says it can’t find it.

Their CS number is down due to weekend, but man this is completely fucked.

Purchased a $20 eshop card today from the website to not receive it. It’s not even showing up in my recent orders, but I have a confirmation email with an order number. Plus the PayPal transaction is present. When I search my order number the GameStop website says it can’t find it.

Last time I ordered a digital eshop card there was only 1 email. The ‘thank you for your order’ email had the eshop download code in the body.

Last time I ordered a digital eshop card there was only 1 email. The ‘thank you for your order’ email had the eshop download code in the body.
Same. Ordered on Feb. 1st (RIP dip) and received an "Thanks for your Gamestop.com order of Nintendo eShop $10!" email with the code. Nine days later, I got another email with "Your downloadable content code is ready". Haha

Same. Ordered on Feb. 1st (RIP dip) and received an "Thanks for your Gamestop.com order of Nintendo eShop $10!" email with the code. Nine days later, I got another email with "Your downloadable content code is ready". Haha
Same for the Steam card on 2/1. Code on initial email and got another email on 2/10. Both emails should come back to back on the same day usually.

If I have a preorder paid off with a giftcard, and I cancel it, doe the funds go back to the original giftcard or do they issue a new one? 

Also, if I have trade credit, can I use it in store to buy other retailers' giftcards? 

Gamestop website is fucked. I don't have anything from multiple years of orders in history. Hopefully it'll right itself ASAP and you can get your code, or you'll get your email. You checked your spam and stuff right? I've had the emails drop there from time to time for digital orders.

This happened to me as well this weekend. I even received an email saying the code is ready, but the code was missing. I ended up using the contact us form on the website and got an email with in half an hour with the code. Funny enough, it still hasn’t shown up on my orders but the code worked.

Gamestop website is fucked. I don't have anything from multiple years of orders in history. Hopefully it'll right itself ASAP and you can get your code, or you'll get your email. You checked your spam and stuff right? I've had the emails drop there from time to time for digital orders.
Nothing. I checked. My only email says: “You will receive a notification when the Digital Download is sent out shortly.” with nothing to follow. I did go to see about disputing the charge with PayPal and there was a gamestop customer service email address it provided to contact first. I’m gonna wait until tomorrow to see if I get a response.

The email address does nothing. You will have to call. There is an extremely high number of posters complaining about not receiving digital codes in the GameStop subreddit, and the mods advise against buying digital codes on the website until it's fixed.

I wonder if Metroid Prime Remastered physical actually releases today for some retailers.

Looks like Amazon and Target updated to 2-22, Gamestop shows 2-13 still and 'add to cart' vs preorder.

Guess I will find out later today at the store where I put in a pre-order last week 

I wonder if Metroid Prime Remastered physical actually releases today for some retailers.

Looks like Amazon and Target updated to 2-22, Gamestop shows 2-13 still and 'add to cart' vs preorder.

Guess I will find out later today at the store where I put in a pre-order last week
Never believe GameStop. They don’t even know what new means.

The email address does nothing. You will have to call. There is an extremely high number of posters complaining about not receiving digital codes in the GameStop subreddit, and the mods advise against buying digital codes on the website until it's fixed.
Every time i try to call it says “wait times exceed 60 minutes” and it auto hangs up.

The site in general seems borked this month. Preorders don't have free shipping, codes not coming through, and a decent amount of reports of Awaiting Product Availability, all while customer service is near unreachable. Why anyone would patronize the site without already having credit or a gift card, I don't know.

well called a couple stores none seems to have gotten Metroid Prime in today.. so far. 

They said maybe this week? Seems like, as predicted, they dont have a clue. 

Diofield Chronicles for $35. What’s square Enix track record on price drops. Should I wait? Just started Engage so it’ll be months before I get to it.

bread's done
Back