The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Did anyone get their Ishin steelbook? My store said that they are coming but I'm not sure I believe them!
I picked mine up yesterday. I called, because they never did, and the steelbooks weren't in when I picked my game up on Tuesday. The store I went to only had two left, including the one I got, but that doesn't mean the other people that preordered didn't get theirs. Both employees I dealt with were adamant only those that preordered would get one. I had to present my receipt for preordering.

It's an OK steelbook design wise. It always bothers me when the title isn't on the spine. Nintendo is worst about this, but Fire Emblem Engage had it, so maybe they're putting the titles on the spine going foward.

I went to my Gamestop on Thursday night and they said their shipment was delayed until next Wednesday. So I walked across the street to Walmart and they had 10 copies. Crazy that people are scalping them for that much.

My Metroid just arrived today from Target. Would’ve spent down GameStop credit but managed to score Metroid and Tears of the Kingdom for $81.50 from Target.

Warning about the ishin steel… they’re shipped loosely in a box, have a matte finish, and no plastic wrap. Also no text on the spine. My local store got 7 in and ALL had damage. The finish is rubbed off and scratched easily, practically just by looking at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats pretty normal for packaging on seperate steelbooks tbh, most have tissue paper between them at most during shipping

This week's deal where you save $30 on a pre-owned console with any two PO games stacks with the 1TB Xbox One consoles they have on sale for $110 - I picked up two cheap games and got the whole bundle for a little over $80 pre-tax. That's definitely the best deal I've seen so far on an XB1 (I haven't even seen a steal at pawn shops to that degree).

I guess the question is: what niche does an XB1 fill these days, if any? I have a 360 and a Series S; the 360 covers all of my 360 needs (and a series X would as well I believe), and pretty much all of the XB1 must-haves are all a part of Game Pass, right?

Why did you buy a product that's already been supplanted by another one you already own? The mechanical drive is junk - slow to read and write. That also means that downloads and system updates are agonizingly slow. On the occasions I feel like playing an Xbox One game, the console has to update first for at least 10 minutes.

There are really only two reasons left to owning one: 1). If you want to play Kinect games, and 2). Physical discs are often cheaper than their digital counterparts. I wasn't able to finish Dragon Quest XI before it left Game Pass, so I bought it at GS. That's really about it.

Ya there’s pretty much no reason to own an Xbox one if you have a series console other than discs if you own an XSS. Unless you want one for another room or something

Why did you buy a product that's already been supplanted by another one you already own? The mechanical drive is junk - slow to read and write. That also means that downloads and system updates are agonizingly slow. On the occasions I feel like playing an Xbox One game, the console has to update first for at least 10 minutes.

There are really only two reasons left to owning one: 1). If you want to play Kinect games, and 2). Physical discs are often cheaper than their digital counterparts. I wasn't able to finish Dragon Quest XI before it left Game Pass, so I bought it at GS. That's really about it.
Well, that's kinda what I was wondering myself after the purchase. I've noticed that XB1 games are significantly cheaper, but again, how many of those are already easily available on Gamepass? I already have a few disc games I've been meaning to play and I don't currently subscribe to Gamepass, but this was probably a bit of a redundant purchase. Unless there's any real unique reason or cool hack I can do with it, I might just return it.

Well, that's kinda what I was wondering myself after the purchase. I've noticed that XB1 games are significantly cheaper, but again, how many of those are already easily available on Gamepass? I already have a few disc games I've been meaning to play and I don't currently subscribe to Gamepass, but this was probably a bit of a redundant purchase. Unless there's any real unique reason or cool hack I can do with it, I might just return it.
Username does not check out.

I've been saving my $5 online coupon all month and used it this evening for a copy of Borderlands Handsome Collection for $6.99 before coupon.  Just a heads up that as long as you have a qualifying item in your cart, you can complete your purchase at any time and with any qualifying item throughout the month.  Just make sure you never empty your cart out with the coupon applied and you should be able to use it.

Xbox one never had any exploits, developer mode allows for emulation, but this is better on your XSS. Microsoft learned their lesson after the 360 exploits, I’d just return it.

You have that fabled HDMI In port, if you can utilize it. Hook up a Switch to it so you can play Mario on Xbox :3

If you want a Blu-Ray player then there ya go. Otherwise the console would be good for cloud streaming if you had Game Pass Ultimate.

You have that fabled HDMI In port, if you can utilize it. Hook up a Switch to it so you can play Mario on Xbox :3

There are already ways to play Mario on an Xbox 😋

If you want a Blu-Ray player then there ya go. Otherwise the console would be good for cloud streaming if you had Game Pass Ultimate.
Idk what I did. I broke something

I went to redeem my $5 on a $10 eshop card as normal. It isn't letting me and saying the item doesn't qualify. This is new, it seems. It didn't do that last month or the handful of months before. Did this change? 

I went to redeem my $5 on a $10 eshop card as normal. It isn't letting me and saying the item doesn't qualify. This is new, it seems. It didn't do that last month or the handful of months before. Did this change?
If this is online, yes--the monthly $5 coupon no longer works on digital currency online, only in-store. If you want to use it online, you have to find a physical item.

There's quite a few great Sony game sales at the moment.

Last of Us II new 10
Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut PS4 used 9
Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut PS5 used 28
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart PS5 used 28
Uncharted legacy of Thieves PS5 Used 19
Miles Morales PS5 used 19
Demons souls remastered PS5 28
Death Stranding directors cut PS5 used 19

So question. Not sure how to go about this without looking shitty. I have a few preorders open at my local store, but at this point in time I will not pick them up. A few have already been released. I know it affects their numbers, but should I care? It’s probably 3-4 games with $5-$10 on each. I know it’s my money, it shouldn’t just sit there. Thoughts?

So question. Not sure how to go about this without looking shitty. I have a few preorders open at my local store, but at this point in time I will not pick them up. A few have already been released. I know it affects their numbers, but should I care? It’s probably 3-4 games with $5-$10 on each. I know it’s my money, it shouldn’t just sit there. Thoughts?
In those situations I usually cancel and consolidate the total into another pre-order. In the past GS has given me so much free credit through flips that I usually buy 2-3 new games from them per year. Do whatever you want though, it is your money and you can do what you like with it.

Bro just cancel lol.

If you don't pick up or cancel a preorder within 30 days of its release and then want to cancel all you get back is a store gift card (or a store trade card IF you used store credit for the payment) no matter how you paid for the preorder. Has been this way since before the pandemic.

can't really find anything worth using the online $5 double dip on as most of the stuff is OOS in store. Not wasting any more trade credit on crap i dont really want

It's probably common knowledge here, but I used my points for a rewards certificate and found out that it won't apply to any on sale items. That's ridiculously dumb. Now I'm stuck with an online only cert that I can't really use since I'm digital only now.

It's probably common knowledge here, but I used my points for a rewards certificate and found out that it won't apply to any on sale items. That's ridiculously dumb. Now I'm stuck with an online only cert that I can't really use since I'm digital only now.
Do the rewards certs not work on eshop/psn/Xbox store credit?

Unfortunately I joined pro rewards just when they changed everything for the worse. It appears the $10 welcome credit is only for online, and the $5 March reward says its only good in store. I was really hoping to use these things towards some eshop goft cards before the new Zelda comes out. I THINK I can use the $5 in store towards a $10 eshop card, but the $10 welcome credit won't work on anything digital and is only online, right? So I'm stuck using it for something physical in stock I can pick up nearby? Either that or pay for shipping. 

The welcome credit is just points, you can redeem for an in store coupon fine.
I may have accidentally clicked to redeem online earlier or something, as the only option I see under 'active offers' is a $10 online only reward. Did I screw it up or can I redeem these in store as well?

I may have accidentally clicked to redeem online earlier or something, as the only option I see under 'active offers' is a $10 online only reward. Did I screw it up or can I redeem these in store as well?
There are in store coupons to redeem for as well, you have to call customer service to refund the points if you selected the other.

So I added an xbox gift card to my cart, and it says it's no longer usable with the xbox $5 coupon. :(
Digital with coupon is in store only, can't do it online.

Dude we've been talking about this for a whole month..
What games are guaranteed to like?
Does double dipping no longer work online?
What has preorder trade in bonus?
Can I use the 5$ monthly for eshop and Xbox cards?
Why are their phones never working?
Store hours are terrible.
How many copies can I trade in at one time?
What is the limit for trade in credit?

Basically sums up 90% of the thread.
Feel free to add anything I missed.

bread's done
Back