The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
As far as I know, you can use it online, but not on anything digital.
Interesting. Right above the coupon and the barcode, it says "in store only". It's fine for now because I actually will use it in-store but at some point may want to use the monthly coupon online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Right above the coupon and the barcode, it says "in store only". It's fine for now because I actually will use it in-store but at some point may want to use the monthly coupon online.
It's always said in store only, it works fine online. You just can't use it for digital items online and you can't check out online with a $0 balance.

Joy Con trades were fine while they lasted now the left joy con has also dropped, with the 25% bonus it’s only $40 for a used set, it was $44 without the bonus before they nuked values, less than $20 each before bonus is way less than they’ve been the last few years.

New trade in bonus towards Zelda TOTK. Seems kinda meh for certain games but can be good if you have cheap copies of those games.

New trade in bonus towards Zelda TOTK. Seems kinda meh for certain games but can be good if you have cheap copies of those games.
Edit: Get $50 trade credit towards the purchase of Zelda when you trade 2 select games. https://www.gamestop.com/zelda-trade2-list?utm_source=rakutenls&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=Wario64&utm_campaign=2&utm_id=2949699&utm_kxconfid=tebx5rmj3&cid=afl_10000087&affID=77777&sourceID=0wLgH49VWzI-gm8nWHsuhvIYo3GIN8o_YA&ranMID=24348&ranEAID=0wLgH49VWzI&ranSiteID=0wLgH49VWzI-gm8nWHsuhvIYo3GIN8o_YA

List of eligible games:

A

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (SWI)

Amazing Spiderman 2 (PS4, XB1)

Animal Crossing New Horizon (SWI)

Astral Chain (SWI)

Atomic Heart (PS4, PS5, XBX)

B

Bayonetta 2 (SWI)

Bayonetta Origins Cereza and the Lost Demon (SWI)

Blood Bowl 3 Brutal Edition (PS4, PS5, XBX)

Bravely Default (3DS)

C

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (PS5)

Call of Duty Modern Warfare II (PS4, PS5, XBX)

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII (PS4, PS5, SWI)

D

Danganronpa Decadence (SWI)

Dark Souls Remastered (SWI)

Dead Space (PS5, XBX)

Deadpool (PS4, XB1)

Death Stranding Director's Cut (PS5)

Demon Slayer Kimetsu no Yaiba (SWI)

Demon's Souls (PS5)

Detective Pikachu (3DS)

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5)

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (SWI)

DRAGON BALL Z KAKAROT (SWI)

Dragon Quest XI S Echoes of an Elusive Age (SWI)

Dying Light Platinum (SWI)

E

Elden Ring (PS4)

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (SWI)

Evil West (PS5, XBX)

F

Final Fantasy VII Re Intergrade (PS5)

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)

Fire Emblem Engage (SWI)

Fire Emblem Fates Birthright (3DS)

Fire Emblem Fates Conquest (3DS)

Five Nights at Freddys Security (PS4, PS5)

Forza Horizons 5 (XBX)

Forza Motorsport 7 (XB1)

G

Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut (PS5)

God of War Ragnarok (2 Disc) (PS4)

God of War Ragnarok (PS5)

Gotham Knights (PS5)

Gran Turismo 7 (2 disc) (PS4)

Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)

GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition (SWI)

Guilty Gear Strive (PS4)

H

Hogwarts Legacy (PS5, XBX)

Hollow Knight (SWI)

Horizon Forbidden West (PS4, PS5)

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity (SWI)

Hyrule Warriors Definitive (SWI)

K

Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)

Kirby and the Forgotten Land (SWI)

Kirby Planet Robobot (3DS)

Kirby Star Allies (SWI)

L

Last of Us Part 1 (PS5)

Last of Us Part II (2 Disc) (PS4)

Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

Legend of Zelda Breath of Wild (SWI)

Legend of Zelda Links Awakening (SWI)

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (3DS)

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (SWI)

Luigi's Mansion 3 (SWI)

M

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (SWI)

Mario Golf: Super Rush (SWI)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (SWI)

Mario Party Superstars (SWI)

Mario Strikers Battle League (SWI)

Mario+Rabbids Sparks of Hope (SWI)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (SWI)

Mega Man Battle Network Legacy (PS4, SWI)

Metroid Dread (SWI)

Metroid Prime Remastered (SWI)

Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)

Minecraft Legends Deluxe (PS4, PS5, SWI, XBX)

Minecraft Story Mode Complete (SWI)

MLB The Show 22 (SWI)

MLB The Show 23 (PS4, PS5, SWI, XB1, XBX)

Monster Energy Supercross 6 (PS4, PS5, XBX)

Monster Hunter Stories (3DS)

N

Need For Speed Unbound (PS5)

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (SWI)

Nintendo Switch Sports (SWI)

O

Octopath Traveler (SWI)

Octopath Traveler 2 (PS4, PS5, SWI)

One Piece Odyssey (PS4, PS5, XBX)

P

Paper Mario The Origami King (SWI)

Persona 5 Royal (SWI)

PGA Tour (PS5, XBX)

Pikmin 3 Deluxe (SWI)

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (SWI)

Pokemon Legends Arceus (SWI)

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! (SWI)

Pokemon Let's Go, Eevee! (SWI)

Pokemon Moon (3DS)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue (SWI)

Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)

Pokemon Scarlet (SWI)

Pokemon Shield (SWI)

Pokemon Shield Plus Expansion Pass (SWI)

Pokemon Shining Pearl (SWI)

Pokemon Sword (SWI)

Pokemon Sword Plus Expansion Pass (SWI)

Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS)

Pokemon Ultra Sun (3DS)

Pokemon Violet (SWI)

Pokemon X (3DS)

Pokemon Y (3DS)

Pokken Tournament DX (SWI)

R

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (PS5)

Resident Evil 4 (PS4, PS5, XBX)

Resident Evil Village Gold (PS5)

Rocket League (SWI)

S
Sackboy A Big Adventure (PS4, PS5)
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (PS4, XB1)
Sifu (PS5, SWI)
Sniper Elite 5 (PS4)
Sonic Frontiers (PS4, PS5, SWI, XBX)
Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS4, PS5)
Splatoon 3 (SWI)
Stray (PS4, PS5)
Super Mario 3D All-Stars (SWI)
Super Mario 3D World+Bowser Fury (SWI)
Super Mario Maker 2 (SWI)
Super Mario Odyssey (SWI)
Super Mario Party (SWI)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (SWI)

T
Tales of Symphonia Remastered (SWI)
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (PS4, SWI)
TMNT Cowabunga Collection (PS5)
Transformers Rise of Dark Spark (PS4)

U
Uncharted Legacy Collection (PS5)

W
Wild Hearts (PS5)
Witcher 3 (PS5)
Wo Long Fallen Dynasty (PS5)
WWE 2K23 (PS4, PS5, XB1)

X
Xenoblade Chronicles (SWI)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna ~ The Golden Country (SWI)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (SWI)

Y
Yoshi's Crafted World (SWI)

*Offer valid 5/7/23-5/20/23. Net credit after promotion is $50.00 or greater, and must be applied toward the purchase of a new copy of Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

Seems worth it if you picked up $10 copies of either TLOU game before GS inflated the prices to capitalize off of the TV show

I wonder if I can do the Zelda $50 deal and then cancel the preorder to get $50 trade credit. I'm all out of trade credit and the thought using my credit card at GameStop feels weird.

Hope no one trades in those high demand 3DS games to GameStop for this promo.  

I’m probably trading in Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Tales of Symphonia since it appears that is actually a decent value for the 2.  

Hope no one trades in those high demand 3DS games to GameStop for this promo.

I’m probably trading in Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Tales of Symphonia since it appears that is actually a decent value for the 2.
I wonder if this trade promo is the reason why it went oos at best buy?

Brickseek shows at Walmart it's $8 for regular and greatest hits last of us 1 remastered for ps4 none near me tho for either. Probably mostly cleared out due to popularity of the HBO show

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=497339106

Half priced books might not be another bad outlet. found one for $10 gonna trade with that and LoU2 I think and use credit for the rest / my $5 monthly too. 

probably gonna cancel my $59.99 target preorder of ToTK and go with this, certainty to have it launch day (vs May15-18 ETA for a long while now, and Target is hit or miss) and way less out of pocket 

Well I've had sackboy and horizon forbidden west on my trade pile for a few weeks now so seems like decent value for those two. Not a terrible trade promo if you're planning on getting Zelda.

Majority of that zelda list is trash, however I've been sitting on a extra DMC5 ps5 & LOU ps4 remaster for a while. Shocked to see both of the list. Will be dumping those off today, and I'll be able to keep my ToK CE sealed! 

Seems promo only works when you buy the game. So not sooner than Thursday night or Friday when you pick up. Preorder doesnt qualify

I’m not sure if that’s right but that’s what they told me unless they didn’t know what they were doing which is always possible since says deal qualifies starting today in fine print.

Seems promo only works when you buy the game. So not sooner than Thursday night or Friday when you pick up. Preorder doesnt qualify

I’m not sure if that’s right but that’s what they told me unless they didn’t know what they were doing which is always possible since says deal qualifies starting today in fine print.
I went in and the employee had the list so she knew about the promo. She had to override the system to get to $50 but my preorder is now in.

Yeah, despite the website saying it's good starting today, the promo doesn't officially start until Thursday.  As a result I wasted my time going there to try and trade in two games towards a preorder.  I wanted to call the store to verify the promo, but no one ever answers the phone when I call.  

Yeah, despite the website saying it's good starting today, the promo doesn't officially start until Thursday. As a result I wasted my time going there to try and trade in two games towards a preorder. I wanted to call the store to verify the promo, but no one ever answers the phone when I call.
I worked for GS back in the early 2000s and I couldnt stand answering the phone especially the last hour when I was getting ready to close the store down. I dont blame them for not answering now that they often run one person most days to save labor.

capitoloneshopping sends targeted cashback offers via email where you have to click in the link in the message to open gamestop.com with a higher % cashback. He is saying to just place an order with the offer and then go back and click on the email again when you want the higher % cashback again for another order.

capitoloneshopping sends targeted cashback offers via email where you have to click in the link in the message to open gamestop.com with a higher % cashback. He is saying to just place an order with the offer and then go back and click on the email again when you want the higher % cashback again for another order.
Mine doesn't work. I don't recall ever getting 24% but I do have a 15% that expired May 1st and I just tried it right now it's only giving me 1.6% cash back. I do have 20% at Gamestop.

I just got back from gamestop with some news. I saw the TotK pre-order bonus and the plank is 5x7 and about 3/8" thick. The associate said they were shorted about a hundred planks for the amount of pre-orders that they had, but they are opening pre-ring at 3:00 p.m. on thursday. This is all from a store in southern california.

I just got back from gamestop with some news. I saw the TotK pre-order bonus and the plank is 5x7 and about 3/8" thick. The associate said they were shorted about a hundred planks for the amount of pre-orders that they had, but they are opening pre-ring at 3:00 p.m. on thursday. This is all from a store in southern california.
If you pre ring do you get a plank or do you still have to show up at midnight to pick up (I would pay on Thursday if I could pick the game up Friday, there’s no way I can stay up for the midnight release).

I just got banned from the GameStop subreddit for reposting this question after it was initially deleted (with no explanation). Here’s what I posted:

I brought in two games eligible for the “$50 towards Zelda” that’s being run right now. https://www.gamestop.com/zelda-trade2-list However, after the trade-in transaction I looked at my receipt and it had only given me $31 towards the preorder. Evidently the system didn’t register the promo, the employee had no interest in manually correcting it, the manager also had no clue about it and was totally apathetic, and they insisted they couldn’t return the games I’d just traded in to me and refund the whole transaction. I now have my receipt which shows the exact games I traded in, along with the date and the Zelda preorder. How do I resolve this? The employee and store manager were totally unhelpful and had an attitude of “You’re unreasonable” and they were honestly complete morons who didn’t seem to even grasp the promo (the employee kept saying “Death Stranding isn’t worth that much”). Do I need to somehow contact a regional manager? Is there a customer service line that can help sort this out? Thanks!

——————-

I was then told by some responders, including a mod, that the reason I didn’t get $50 is because it’s a promo towards the “purchase” and not towards a preorder. Which makes absolutely no sense. The literal wording in the promo says it starts 5/7. How would this work towards purchases then during the period before the game is released? My receipt uses the word “purchase.” A preorder is money/credit towards a “purchase.” Anyone who has ever done a promo like this at GameStop knows they always have stuff like this for trading towards upcoming games and getting extra value/credit.

I just got banned from the GameStop subreddit for reposting this question after it was initially deleted (with no explanation). Here’s what I posted:

I brought in two games eligible for the “$50 towards Zelda” that’s being run right now. https://www.gamestop.com/zelda-trade2-list However, after the trade-in transaction I looked at my receipt and it had only given me $31 towards the preorder. Evidently the system didn’t register the promo, the employee had no interest in manually correcting it, the manager also had no clue about it and was totally apathetic, and they insisted they couldn’t return the games I’d just traded in to me and refund the whole transaction. I now have my receipt which shows the exact games I traded in, along with the date and the Zelda preorder. How do I resolve this? The employee and store manager were totally unhelpful and had an attitude of “You’re unreasonable” and they were honestly complete morons who didn’t seem to even grasp the promo (the employee kept saying “Death Stranding isn’t worth that much”). Do I need to somehow contact a regional manager? Is there a customer service line that can help sort this out? Thanks!
——————-
I was then told by some responders, including a mod, that the reason I didn’t get $50 is because it’s a promo towards the “purchase” and not towards a preorder. Which makes absolutely no sense. The literal wording in the promo says it starts 5/7. How would this work towards purchases then during the period before the game is released? My receipt uses the word “purchase.” A preorder is money/credit towards a “purchase.” Anyone who has ever done a promo like this at GameStop knows they always have stuff like this for trading towards upcoming games and getting extra value/credit.
I thought it wasn’t working till Thursday evening hence the word “purchase “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, you're probably screwed. Once you sign the pad you are accepting the trade value that was presented. You're best bet would be to talk to the district manager about it. Customer service line will not be helpful.

I thought it wasn’t working till Thursday evening hence the word “purchase “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This doesn’t make much sense to advertise the promo as being from 5/7-5/20 then. It should state that it starts on 5/12 if that were the case. And again, the receipt calls it a purchase. “Offer valid 5/7/23-5/20/23” but the offer can’t be used from 5/7-5/11?? Utterly absurd to believe this is anything other than a lack of this promo being in the system yet. Trying to explain it away with the semantics around purchase vs. preorder is just defending a poorly implemented promotion.

This doesn’t make much sense to advertise the promo as being from 5/7-5/20 then. It should state that it starts on 5/12 if that were the case. And again, the receipt calls it a purchase. “Offer valid 5/7/23-5/20/23” but the offer can’t be used from 5/7-5/11?? Utterly absurd to believe this is anything other than a lack of this promo being in the system yet. Trying to explain it away with the semantics around purchase vs. preorder is just defending a poorly implemented promotion.
Literally happens all the time. And purchase always means purchase, this isn't new. Gamestop hasn't counted a preorder as a purchase in DECADES. The promo doesn't work until you can purchase which is prerelease Thursday, Sunday is general advertisement cycles and when things load in but it clearly states PURCHASE.

Also regarding the ban: You were answered the question over 5x and refuse to accept the answer and then reposted it again in a new thread. That's why you got banned, not for asking the question itself, you were already answered multiple times and refused to accept it.

Literally happens all the time. And purchase always means purchase, this isn't new. Gamestop hasn't counted a preorder as a purchase in DECADES. The promo doesn't work until you can purchase which is prerelease Thursday, Sunday is general advertisement cycles and when things load in but it clearly states PURCHASE.

Also regarding the ban: You were answered the question over 5x and refuse to accept the answer and then reposted it again in a new thread. That's why you got banned, not for asking the question itself, you were already answered multiple times and refused to accept it.
It says the offer is valid as of yesterday. But apparently it’s not valid? If it’s just towards a full purchase, then the employee could have told me I had to pay the additional $20 to have paid in full and purchased it ahead of its release. It’s on the website, not an internal thing saying it’s now in the system ready to be activated on the release date. And if it needed to be towards a purchase, why didn’t the employee explain that to me? It also seems to me a totally honest and easy mistake to have made- help the customer out by offering to refund the trade so they can bring it back on release day? I was very kind to the employees, who just seemed to have no clue the promo existed, but they treated me like the promo didn’t exist, didn’t make any sense, and I was somehow being unreasonable asking for an explanation of how to actually get the promo that was displayed on Gamestop.com with a valid date that included today.

@izembo

Update: called another Gamestop, they are fully aware of the promo, said it should be working in the system, that if it wasn’t the store should have manually adjusted it for me, and they’re going to contact the store I went to and explain the promo and how to fix it for me.

They also clarified when I asked that a preorder is a purchase. It’s a “prepurchase.”

So let's sum this up, Gamestop is a crappy company who can't get basic things like marketing done correctly. The employees generally don't know dick all and probably have as much experience behind the register as you do. You are dumb for signing on a trade without paying attention to what it said.

Nobody wins, everyone loses. Congratulations.

bread's done
Back