The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
May be worth checking your local walmart (I know, I know) for the Zelda Pro controller.

Saw like 5-6 in stock at a local store over the weekend, but I'm sure if they're actually limited, they won't last long anywhere.

Ordered the Zelda pro controller from Gamestop on the 15th still has not shipped yet.  What they told me via email was it is backordered and we don't know when we are getting it in.  Thanks Gamestop!

Likely i will never see Zelda Pro backordered on GS.   It's not a good day my Target Zelda Pro turn into normal Pro controller.  You can't sub. Zelda Pro for Normal Pro controller.  I'm extremely disappointed and none of local target stores have it instock.

Went instore to take advantage of the Zelda deal today. Took COD Cold War and Last of Us 2. Clerk literally tried to refurb me because he said there was a fingerprint on Cold War. Just politely told him I wouldn't be trading in either game and left. Almost 100% sure he did that just because I was trying to buy the game without a pre-order. Pretty much out on going to brick and mortar Gamestops at this point. Everytime I go in to buy a new game that's not a pre-order they try to find a way to not sell it to me. When Dead Space came out I damn near wanted to just do an in-store pickup to not have to do the dance where they pretend to not have the game. Realize they have metrics, but they're gonna run the store out of business trying to avoid selling games to people.
Sucks that you were treated that way, but outside of first party Nintendo I’ve noticed my GameStop in the last year will run out of new AAA release at or near launch & remain OoS in store for up to a month. And if it’s anything indie/Japanese niche good luck on there being any copies at all there. Threads on the GS Reddit back this up even for things like premium editions of NBA 2K.

I order the Trails & Ys series direct from NIS & the store I shop at they hardly ever get them at all because I’m not preordering there.

Damn that sucks. My experience yesterday was awesome. Took my games and didn't even try to upsell me (either on a warranty or on renewing my long expired Pro membership). They had a whole drawer full of copies of Zelda, so I don't see why they wouldn't want to sell them as easily as possible. Maybe your store didn't have as many. And besides, aren't trade-ins one of their metrics? Eh, whatever - all that foolishness of metrics and quotas is just so awful.
From what I’ve read on the GS Reddit, trades are a metric the store is measured on, but no one except maybe the store manager gets monetary compensation for a store exceeding their trade goals.

It's dumb as hell that they keep changing it, and freaking 80 dollars is beyond ridiculous. But for me personally, this is a good change. I'm subbed up for several years, and a lower minimum threshold is more incentive to double dip.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. I thought they were changing the minimum for free shipping to $25 for Pro members. They're changing the price of Pro to $25?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was mentioned on the GameStop subreddit, but the corporate mods deleted it. Multiple employees have confirmed it on there and the increase happens on June 27. Also, 5% off preowned, collectibles, clearance items, and protection plans. All points will also expire when membership lapses and one year after earned from a purchase.

That's crazy. So because of the price increase, the removal of the $5 currency codes, and the removal of double dipping on currency, we went from spending $75 per year for $180 in currency to spending $85 per year for $120 in currency. It's not even worth renewing anymore

That's crazy. So because of the price increase, the removal of the $5 currency codes, and the removal of double dipping on currency, we went from spending $75 per year for $180 in currency to spending $85 per year for $120 in currency. It's not even worth renewing anymore
Right? I realize its still technically 'free' money with a little effort, but its considerably worse. I read about it on this site and was super excited about it and joined the month they decided you couldn't use online codes on gift cards anymore. I haven't used the online $5 once due to lack of anything worth it. I'm definitely not renewing next year.

No more $5 monthly and no more boost on trade credit? Literally 0 reason for me to renew, and I’ve been one always saying how pro was a good value

I have renewed with points every time. Just renewed a week ago. With points becoming harder to come by, I probably won't renew again next year unless I have enough. I'll never use real money to renew.

I have approximately 70,000 points accumulated over the past several years, does this mean I need to use them before June 27th or else a majority of them expire?

EDIT

From the CAG Twitter link I have until December 1st.

If they keep the $5 coupon I might as well extend my membership one time before the price goes up. If they drop it I'll probably never shop there again since 5% doesn't even cover sales tax for me.

Why would they care about losing customers on a 0% margin product? One could say... a devil customer, for those who are old enough to remember.
Ya that’s probably their logic. The ones who won’t Renew are they ones they won’t benefit from in the first place (me lol).

Sometimes I question just how moronic GameStop can be.
When they cease to exist, everyone will claim it's due to the death of physical games, but we will all know it's because of thier contempt for thier customers and employees, and mind bogglingly awful business decisions. Sort of like blockbuster.

"new benefits"

"new ways to engage with the program"

"the teams have been listening to members' feedback and are excited to deliver a new simplified, valuable program"

Shut up, corporate.  :twoguns:

How many people are "benefitting" from all the restrictions they've been putting forth lately? Got rid of the 10%/20% Pro pre-owned discount, got rid of the pre-owned coupons, got rid of $5 digital currency, no using the monthly coupon on anything digital online, the most ridiculous free shipping threshold I've ever heard of for a popular national chain, and they have the nerve to charge MORE money?

I'm gonna need a quote on that. If true, Gamestop is absolutely dead to me. Dead.
it's not true. you cant redeem points towards posa but the monthly will still work.

Ah. That wasn’t one of the pics I saw posted. That would mean it’s smart to renew for an additional year before the price goes up if that’s the case
You can't renew early anymore unless you're within 3 months of expiring.

How many people are "benefitting" from all the restrictions they've been putting forth lately? Got rid of the 10%/20% Pro pre-owned discount, got rid of the pre-owned coupons, got rid of $5 digital currency, no using the monthly coupon on anything digital online, the most ridiculous free shipping threshold I've ever heard of for a popular national chain, and they have the nerve to charge MORE money?
No, no, don't worry, just like they kept telling us when they killed the discount, the 10/20 percent discount went away, but thats because theyre going to lower the prices of all their pre-owned games without the need for a specific discount!

... still waiting.

Some MBA cooked this up as a way to increase revenue. Too bad they have nobody there that could have had the idea of doing just did what DKOldies did (buy up lots and lots of retro stock) in the past few years. Heck, they have more infrastructure than DKOldies does, and could have just undercut them by 5-10% and still made a huge profit.

The funny thing is their inventory trackers are so borked that nobody knows what any 1 store has retro-wise (or to be fair, current gen wise either), and they have so much flea market grade garbage in terms of plushies and that sort that they don't even have room for games. If they actually had a sound way of getting items to customers, they could have easily made profit on nostalgia the way DKOldies and their ilk did. They regularly fail at just that... getting inventory into the hands of customers without a hassle.

But nope, ass backwards thinking like reducing staff to 1-2 total per store but then thinking people will pay a premium for the B&M experience and services that those overworked employees don't have time to sell you is going to kill them. Best Buy is right behind them, but only delayed because they still exist for people to at least see electronics in person and for being the only game in town. If Target or Walmart wanted to, they could put Best Buy in the ground for good too.

Is there a way to renew Pro Membership online, using points, and get the physical Magazine ? 

Messing with checkout, all I see is digital magazine and paying normally

The in store coupons no longer work on POSA cards? When did that go into effect?
Not yet, its on the changing program items so the 26th.

Is there a way to renew Pro Membership online, using points, and get the physical Magazine ?

Messing with checkout, all I see is digital magazine and paying normally
No, it's going digital only with "a way to get physical they'll announce later"

not to come to their defense, but to come to mine I think I spent like $5 on each yearly subscription for the past few when that deal is going on.

In that regard, I've broken even after one $5 monthly coupon being used

Nobody is denying GS is a dumpster fire, but theyre like the last remaining big chain retailer for physical games at the same time..

No, it's going digital only with "a way to get physical they'll announce later"
Game Informer is going digital only? That's worse news to me than the price hike since I would never read a digital magazine - that's just a more cumbersome website. Damn. I've been reading GI since '98. The Pro membership practically paid for itself with the signup points, and the print magazine was great for reducing time I spend looking at screens.

Game Informer is going digital only? That's worse news to me than the price hike since I would never read a digital magazine - that's just a more cumbersome website. Damn. I've been reading GI since '98. The Pro membership practically paid for itself with the signup points, and the print magazine was great for reducing time I spend looking at screens.
Too be fair, their reviews are incredibly predictible. Top 3 pre-order game at GS? You can pencil that in for a 9 out of 10. Obscure Japanese game with nuanced mechanics? 4 out of 10.

bread's done
Back