The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
This is what it says on my account.

Our order update system is experiencing an outage. For updates, check the tracking number included in your shipping confirmation email.
Same. My order eventually went through, got my pickup email notifcation like an hour or two after posting here. So I think I put in my order around 10am and didn't get the notification (and therefore neither did the store) until about 4:30 or 5.

Can you sign up for a Pro Membership in store without using a credit card (pay with trade credit)? Online there is no option to pay with trade credit anymore.

Can you sign up for a Pro Membership in store without using a credit card (pay with trade credit)? Online there is no option to pay with trade credit anymore.
Yes, you can pay for pro with trade credit... and the $15 "pro membership renewal cert" is actually just a $15 off coupon. They just have to print it out and scan it for some obsolete reason. If you have other more expensive items in the transaction, it will discount that off instead of the pro (to try get 5% off your total order pro-promo this week) :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
Monthly coupons work, points redemption coupons don't.
On the B1G1? Not working online so you must mean in store. But I also assume that the games would have to be different prices... if they were the same price it would take $5 off one game but then make it the free one.

I just tried to buy a Steam gift card online with trade credit and got this message:

This product cannot be purchased with your GameStop gift card. Please use a different form of payment.

Well, that sucks.  I'm hoping that it still works in-store!

I just tried to buy a Steam gift card online with trade credit and got this message:

This product cannot be purchased with your GameStop gift card. Please use a different form of payment.

Well, that sucks. I'm hoping that it still works in-store!
Trade credit still works in store on Xbox and PSN currency, others have mentioned that Steam also works. I tried on 6/1/2023, used my $5 monthly PUR coupon and $5 trade credit on a $10 Xbox gift card. As stated by others, PUR certs don't work on digital currency in-store and online.

Yes. They just can't use points to redeem coupons to pay for it, unless you're redeeming for the pro renewal coupon directly.
Yes, you can pay for pro with trade credit... and the $15 "pro membership renewal cert" is actually just a $15 off coupon. They just have to print it out and scan it for some obsolete reason. If you have other more expensive items in the transaction, it will discount that off instead of the pro (to try get 5% off your total order pro-promo this week) :razz:
Thanks, I just signed up for a new Pro Membership in-store and instantly received 10,000 points. I had to sign up for a new account because for some reason my old Pro account would not renew (system shows that it expired, even though it does not expire until July and CS could not do anything).

Trade credit still works in store on Xbox and PSN currency, others have mentioned that Steam also works. I tried on 6/1/2023, used my $5 monthly PUR coupon and $5 trade credit on a $10 Xbox gift card. As stated by others, PUR certs don't work on digital currency in-store and online.
I can confirm that trade credit (and the $5 monthly PUR coupon) work for digital currency in-store. And that a points based PUR certificate doesn't. Thankfully I was able to mostly clear out my points and finally pick up Metroid Prime Remastered for the switch using them.

Additional related data point: I tried to buy Battle.net currency in-store with trade credit yesterday and a similar error popped up. I thought I bought some recently but could be misremembering.

It's not a recent change.  The website is so broken it doesn't work on restricting it at times but it has been restricted for over a year.  Most times at most you'll be able to get 1 through before it flags it for manual review on any future purchases and then just keeps blocking.

Additional related data point: I tried to buy Battle.net currency in-store with trade credit yesterday and a similar error popped up. I thought I bought some recently but could be misremembering.
Ohhh that's good to know. I was about to go burn some credit on battle.net money.....But yea, I could've sworn you could use credit

If I can't use GameStop gift cards or trade credit to buy Steam online gift card then no more GameStop for me. I'm 100% digital these days.

what is the $15 pro membership renewal cert? I want to renew my expired Pro membership during this Pro week to buy some games

what is the $15 pro membership renewal cert? I want to renew my expired Pro membership during this Pro week to buy some games
It's something on the computer only the employee can access. I've seen them do it for others and as was said they have to print off the coupon it generates and scan it in the POS to take $15 (currently) off.

went to gs today around 5pm, hand written sign taped to door, closed at 4pm due to staffing shortage, anybody know what the bonus is on console trade?

went to gs today around 5pm, hand written sign taped to door, closed at 4pm due to staffing shortage, anybody know what the bonus is on console trade?
Last Thursday, my local store was still closed at 12:30 p.m. with the doors locked and the security shutters down.

For a store that opens at 12 noon and closes at 8 p.m., GameStop already opens later and closes earlier than any other brick and mortar retailer. Yet, they wonder why their stores aren't meeting projections. :roll:

45_4.jpg

Shipping kills the 4 for 20/40. My nearest store doesn't have most of what I want.
I think we're at the point where we can say "Shipping kills every sale".

Now, a proactive company would have run a 4 for $80 sale on a bunch of the crap that's in the $25-40 range that isn't moving. We wouldn't necessarily enjoy such a sale, but hey, it'd probably work to move some slow moving stock. Problem is that a proposal like that requires GS to have proactive thinkers, not just some MBA who did an analysis and said "hey upping the free shipping threshold will lead to bigger orders/more revenue", not taking into account that 80% of games are under $79 (probably more to be honest).

Damn, I'm tempted to trade in my Series S so I can upgrade my AMD processor...except the processors at Gamestop's website are a bit more expensive than other retailers (it was more competitive during holiday 2022). Does anyone know if you can do an in-store PM and have them ship a computer part to the store or is that not a thing?

I don't mind sitting on the credit and waiting for a sale. I'm feeling this is probably the best trade-in deal I can get for my console considering Gamestop is changing things up again.
Did you trade in your Series S? Microsoft just announced the Xbox Series S Black 1tb. This will probably send the TIV of the Series S White down.

Also, some prices are actually higher than just a few months ago.

Forza Horizon 3 was $9.99 in January, thus qualified for the 4/$20 deal, but now it's $14.99, so it only qualifies for the 4/$40 now.

Did you trade in your Series S? Microsoft just announced the Xbox Series S Black 1tb. This will probably send the TIV of the Series S White down.
Nope. I was about to reply to my post yesterday because I have an exciting update.

A friend who recently updated to Zen 4 gave me his old 5800X and ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI for free, I just had to pay $30 shipping to get them! Though it would've been nice to get the $210 trade-in, I suddenly felt less compelled because now I don't have to get a new CPU which is what the trade in would've been for. I suppose being patient and sitting on the credit would still be valid but I'm OK with waiting for another opportunity. At least now I can try to get to Judgment/Lost Judgment that I bought last year but barely touched :bouncy:

bread's done
Back