The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I don’t know why we bother with this company sometimes…
I think I’m more insulted at the opened game in a poly bag. Is that supposed to make it ok?
attachicon.gif
IMG_7579.jpeg
attachicon.gif
IMG_7580.jpeg
Just curious, how much was the total for these four ‘new’ games? I’m assuming this was in tandem with the B1G1 sale last week?

Just curious, how much was the total for these four ‘new’ games? I’m assuming this was in tandem with the B1G1 sale last week?
Yes the one that's still going but GS just randomly removes games from the sale. I think most of what's above isn't even on the B1G1 now. They were $60 total for the 4 games + a $25 GC that I got to get over the threshold.

I would have gladly picked them all up locally but there wasn't 1 store that even had 2 of the 4, let alone all 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 games got delivered today from the Buy 4 for $20/40.

3 came without cases
- Zone of the Enders: Mars (PS4)
- Our World is Ended (PS4)
- Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (Wii U)

1 came sealed as pre-owned
- Hotline Miami 1-2 (PS4)

The rest came complete
- Okami HD (PS4)
- Riders Republic (PS5)
- Ghostrunner (PS5)
- Ni No Kuni 1 (Switch)
- Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 (PS4)
- School Girl Zombie Hunter (PS4)
- Sushi Striker (Switch)

Gotta love when I order used and expect an opened game and get it sealed but order games I hope and expect to get sealed and I get gutted copies or with no case at all.

GameStop makes no sense.

12 games got delivered today from the Buy 4 for $20/40.
3 came without cases
- Zone of the Enders: Mars (PS4)
- Our World is Ended (PS4)
- Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (Wii U)
1 came sealed as pre-owned
- Hotline Miami 1-2 (PS4)
The rest came complete
- Okami HD (PS4)
- Riders Republic (PS5)
- Ghostrunner (PS5)
- Ni No Kuni 1 (Switch)
- Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 (PS4)
- School Girl Zombie Hunter (PS4)
- Sushi Striker (Switch)
Gotta love when I order used and expect an opened game and get it sealed but order games I hope and expect to get sealed and I get gutted copies or with no case at all.
GameStop makes no sense.
I’ll add to that last point with another silly change…

Usually when I received orders, the stores they were shipped from were closer by, and usually in 3-4 orders for 10 games.

This time I got an order from SC (I’m in PA), which makes me wonder why they never bothered to open a 2nd DC that was in the Mid Atlantic or Midwest. If they properly stocked it, that would cut down on shipping costs, time and would lessen the burden on stores.

Their whole model makes no sense though. Clearly it’s better to make your understaffed stores serve as mini DCs, unless they have 1 of something then it basically doesn’t exist and you’re relying on walk in traffic to sell those orphaned copies.

Two things every gamer should know by now:

Gamestop = new games are rarely factory sealed and new (at least online)

LRG = your game isn't coming till a year later (if then)

There are others, but these are the most common issues.

I also received Star Ocean in one of those poly bags.  The disc was mint but there was a big hole in the cover art.  So, I had to return it.

Two things every gamer should know by now:

Gamestop = new games are rarely factory sealed and new (at least online)
LRG = your game isn't coming till a year later (if then)

There are others, but these are the most common issues.
Oh I get this, but the perfect response to that is… none of that makes it right. Heck, I got myself permanently banned from /r/GameStop for pushing back on the notion that said billion dollar company has been doing things this way for years. (Forgetting that while that was a thing at the store level for ages, its only started to creep into mail orders since stores starting shipping out orders).

Perfect response to that is, Bed Bath and Beyond was also a billion dollar company, and even had more sales than GameStop and look at them now.

If my current Pro membership isn't up until October does that mean I can't renew in store before the price increase?
Correct. You have to be within 3 months of your membership expiring and have auto renew turned off to renew early.

I don’t know why we bother with this company sometimes…

I think I’m more insulted at the opened game in a poly bag. Is that supposed to make it ok? IMG_7579.jpeg IMG_7580.jpeg
Other option is for the "classic" circle seal stickers that ALWAYS leave residue at best on the case when removed since online orders for current games are fulfilled at the store level.

All these Nintendo pre-orders going up today.  Genuinely curious, anyone actually preorder from GameStop, and if so, why would you with the $8 shipping charge?  Such a joke that standard pre-orders can’t even qualify anymore, even for members of their paid membership program.  And that persona tactics coaster set pre-order bonus, plus any other pre-order bonus is going to be “instant delivery” for online orders now, meaning they mysteriously are all gone before game even releases and no legit customers get one.

GameStop has always had issues, but it’s like they are actively trying to get rid of the few excuses left to shop there.

I wouldn't count on getting any physical bonuses if ordering online at this point, so yeah, just don't do it.   There's plenty of places that'll deliver on time for less.

I’d go with Walmart for preorder bonus when ordering online. They have a pikmin water bottle up now and probably something for other big games at some point.

All these Nintendo pre-orders going up today. Genuinely curious, anyone actually preorder from GameStop, and if so, why would you with the $8 shipping charge? Such a joke that standard pre-orders can’t even qualify anymore, even for members of their paid membership program. And that persona tactics coaster set pre-order bonus, plus any other pre-order bonus is going to be “instant delivery” for online orders now, meaning they mysteriously are all gone before game even releases and no legit customers get one.

GameStop has always had issues, but it’s like they are actively trying to get rid of the few excuses left to shop there.
I'm slowly slowly learning that there really isn't logic with this company. Every idea they've had is one of those "good in theory/on paper, bad when actually executed".

I will always attribute them to people with MBA brain rot, as in they've never worked a front line job where they've had to explain these policies to a customer's face.

Some interesting news re: the game insurance and FF 16 Deluxe Edition (PS5): 

After buying my pre-order I looked on my receipt after the purchase and saw $3.99 was added for game insurance.  I brought it up to the cashier in protest and he pointed out that there was also a $4 credit on the receipt to cover the cost of insurance.  He said it was something Square Enix put into the system to cover buyers in the event any bugs or glitches cripple the game.   

Never heard of that before, anyone else? 

Info on how I paid: 

Had $5 down previously on preorder; 

used points to redeem a $25 cert in-store; 

used a GS gift card I purchased with points from my credit card; 

used trade credit; 

covered the last few bucks with cash out of pocket; 

everything calculated correctly even with so many tender types! 

Some interesting news re: the game insurance and FF 16 Deluxe Edition (PS5):

After buying my pre-order I looked on my receipt after the purchase and saw $3.99 was added for game insurance. I brought it up to the cashier in protest and he pointed out that there was also a $4 credit on the receipt to cover the cost of insurance. He said it was something Square Enix put into the system to cover buyers in the event any bugs or glitches cripple the game.

Never heard of that before, anyone else?

Info on how I paid:

Had $5 down previously on preorder;

used points to redeem a $25 cert in-store;

used a GS gift card I purchased with points from my credit card;

used trade credit;

covered the last few bucks with cash out of pocket;

everything calculated correctly even with so many tender types!
They probably just adjusted the game down 4 bucks to make it free but also help their numbers......not something they should be doing.

Sounds like BS. Did you still have your monthly coupon? Or does your receipt show "Promotion Not Found" for the discount? I think associates are supposed to be able to redeem your points for coupons soon if you ask them to.

Well it works, I did it today and I have never had that problem.
Thank you! It worked for me today as well. Had that problem with Fire Emblem Engage most recently and a few others. Had to think on my feet with one and lost out on another instead of Preordering Street Fighter VI....

Sounds like BS. Did you still have your monthly coupon? Or does your receipt show "Promotion Not Found" for the discount? I think associates are supposed to be able to redeem your points for coupons soon if you ask them to.
Yeah I still have my monthly coupon, he initially asked if I wanted to use it and I said no. Just checked right now and coupon is still there in my account. But the promo does say "not found" so I think you're right. Looks like I got fed some made up story while he was busy cooking his numbers.

They probably just adjusted the game down 4 bucks to make it free but also help their numbers......not something they should be doing.
Yeah I think you're right lol. There was no xtra $$ out of pocket for me, but it sucks that my home store now is resorting to these tactics.

How is GameStop as far as missing packages concerned? I had 7 games in 1 package from the 4 for $40 sale marked as delivered but it was nowhere to be found around my residence. This is the first time I’ve had this issue with this.

Often stuff gets marked as delivered prior to actually being so. I would wait a day and if it doesn't turn up then contact them. Though odds are they'll at best just refund it as that's what happened to me when a megaman I ordered didn't show up and I wrote a review saying so after they sent me the email to review my purchase.

It was removed because there was no way for them to charge the $5 deposit if doing online for in store pickups.  Stores were having upwards of half of preorders or more on some games being $0 deposit reservations and the rate at which people came to pick up those was abysmal.  This led to lots of extra stock sitting on shelves which is generally bad for business with how slim margins are.    Once released the buy online pickup in store function goes live which allows you to pay fully for it, but there's nothing before then because of just how old GS entire system is.

It was removed because there was no way for them to charge the $5 deposit if doing online for in store pickups. Stores were having upwards of half of preorders or more on some games being $0 deposit reservations and the rate at which people came to pick up those was abysmal. This led to lots of extra stock sitting on shelves which is generally bad for business with how slim margins are. Once released the buy online pickup in store function goes live which allows you to pay fully for it, but there's nothing before then because of just how old GS entire system is.
God, I remember when we had that turned on at gamestop. We'd have like 200 Call of Duty preorders and 3/4 were zero down. A quarter of those would actually pick it up....God that sucked.

It was removed because there was no way for them to charge the $5 deposit if doing online for in store pickups. Stores were having upwards of half of preorders or more on some games being $0 deposit reservations and the rate at which people came to pick up those was abysmal. This led to lots of extra stock sitting on shelves which is generally bad for business with how slim margins are. Once released the buy online pickup in store function goes live which allows you to pay fully for it, but there's nothing before then because of just how old GS entire system is.
I get it but seems it could be mitigated by limiting "online preorders for store pickup" to like 15. Or you know, just have a reasonable free shipping threshold like every other business.

Or make people actually pay for the preorder in full.

GS is the only retailer I can think of that lets you put a small amount down on a preodered game (I am sure someone will correct me now).

Noticed something strange on the Gamestop website. Under account>personal data

when I click on personal data get an error message "For technical reasons, your request could not be handled properly at this time. Please contact customer service at 1-800-883-8895"

What does this mean, anyone else get this issue? I just needed to update my phone number 

Bought Vice City Stories for PS2, they shipped me standard Vice City.

Bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS3, they shipped me the standard Marvel vs Capcom.

I don't even know why I still buy online from these clowns.

Bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS3, they shipped me the standard Marvel vs Capcom.
I had the same issue happen with gta iv complete. They sent me the regular version….. not to mention they failed to send me shenmue 1 & 2 and a shirt I ordered. Now they aren’t even answering emails probably gonna have to call about it.

I had the same issue with GTA VCS. I suspect it happens due to Vice City having a penny trade value, so if they search for Vice City, only Vice City Stories comes up.

I actually ordered 4 copies, ended up with 2 VCS and 2 VC. 1 VCS discs was cracked. Ultimately, ended up with a copy just missing manuals and such and returned the other 3 copies.

Supposedly (most?) stores will be getting semi-large shipments of "Retro" stock from the warehouse in the coming weeks to fill up at least 1 wall section. This includes systems and accessories. SL said everyone would be getting some e-training on how to spot fakes and what conditions they allow for tradining in old consoles and games. Should be fun to see how this goes!  :shock: I want to get some more vita!

So far I've seen a some SNES, N64, and Gamecube trade-ins in not terrible condition, but nothing noteworthy. 

Hmmm, my ps5 crash once while when playing ffxvi.   I don;t think it is overheating but i worry it is something else as it crash whenvewr i am being load in to a new area.  I am deabting should I trade that in for 385 credit and then buy a new ps5 instead.  

Hmmm, my ps5 crash once while when playing ffxvi. I don;t think it is overheating but i worry it is something else as it crash whenvewr i am being load in to a new area. I am deabting should I trade that in for 385 credit and then buy a new ps5 instead.
all ps5s have this and can happen on any game. happened on nfs unbound for a friend then he tried vacuuming it out and messed it up worse. ALOT of ps5s have this issue. i havent but still

bread's done
Back