The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Supposedly (most?) stores will be getting semi-large shipments of "Retro" stock from the warehouse in the coming weeks to fill up at least 1 wall section. This includes systems and accessories. SL said everyone would be getting some e-training on how to spot fakes and what conditions they allow for tradining in old consoles and games. Should be fun to see how this goes! :shock: I want to get some more vita!

So far I've seen a some SNES, N64, and Gamecube trade-ins in not terrible condition, but nothing noteworthy.
This is incorrect. The only "retro" some stores will see is DS/3DS/Wii/360/PS3/WiiU. all retro is required to go back to warehouse first though. The standards for how this is being displaced is terrible as well, it's not really dedicated other than bottom shelving in for example the switch section.

Or make people actually pay for the preorder in full.

GS is the only retailer I can think of that lets you put a small amount down on a preodered game (I am sure someone will correct me now).
They could do that in store sure, but as stated the in store system has no way to apply a payment from online. Even if online paid in full there's no way to make it show up in store as a paid order(and even if there was there'd be a huge issue if someone needed to cancel and get a refund since it'd be missing all payment info)

I had the same issue with GTA VCS. I suspect it happens due to Vice City having a penny trade value, so if they search for Vice City, only Vice City Stories comes up.

I actually ordered 4 copies, ended up with 2 VCS and 2 VC. 1 VCS discs was cracked. Ultimately, ended up with a copy just missing manuals and such and returned the other 3 copies.
That's smart. I'm going to start doing this from now on. Buy multiple copies and hope 1 comes in. Plus you'll hit that free shipping threshold easier.

This is incorrect. The only "retro" some stores will see is DS/3DS/Wii/360/PS3/WiiU. all retro is required to go back to warehouse first though. The standards for how this is being displaced is terrible as well, it's not really dedicated other than bottom shelving in for example the switch section.
This is correct.... standards are terrible. It mostly depends on the store, most near me don't follow the rules.. ex. for the last year or so a few anal-er stores near me said they had to send retro stuff back to the warehouse like 3DS consoles, Vita games, etc.. but then the majority of them just put them out on display and sold them without holds. I've purchased vita, gamecube, n64, SNES, gameboy games and 2DS/3DS consoles in that time, and now those stores are telling me they plan to take in crap like SNES consoles and sell them. So YMMV. I'm looking forward to the variety!

Last edited by a moderator:
An FYI for anyone else that prefers paying the extra $5 for the physical editions of Game Informer with your rewards membership - A store manager I usually trust persuaded me to just get the digital sub this time as he says they're for sure shutting GI down this year. I told him I thought that had been a rumor for a few years now but he insisted it was happening soon.

all ps5s have this and can happen on any game. happened on nfs unbound for a friend then he tried vacuuming it out and messed it up worse. ALOT of ps5s have this issue. i havent but still
Hmmm, right now ps5 trade in for $385....think it is worth while to trade it in since the problem only happen in xvi, pay 100 ish for a new one or there can be promo that raise it? Thanks to FFXVI uato save it is not too bad but it can get annoying

This is correct.... standards are terrible. It mostly depends on the store, most near me don't follow the rules.. ex. for the last year or so a few anal-er stores near me said they had to send retro stuff back to the warehouse like 3DS consoles, Vita games, etc.. but then the majority of them just put them out on display and sold them without holds. I've purchased vita, gamecube, n64, SNES, gameboy games and 2DS/3DS consoles in that time, and now those stores are telling me they plan to take in crap like SNES consoles and sell them. So YMMV. I'm looking forward to the variety!
For sure, that being said they just pushed out another wave of telling all stores they must send back, so it'll likely be on a report for at least a bit cracking down on stores that don't send back.

Hmmm, right now ps5 trade in for $385....think it is worth while to trade it in since the problem only happen in xvi, pay 100 ish for a new one or there can be promo that raise it? Thanks to FFXVI uato save it is not too bad but it can get annoying
email i got says extra $25 when trading in a console towards a ps5 purchase. might be an awkward exchange unless you come up with a good story but $25 is $25.

email i got says extra $25 when trading in a console towards a ps5 purchase. might be an awkward exchange unless you come up with a good story but $25 is $25.
Tbh, it would be simple, all i need to do is trade it toward the ps5 FFXVI bundle. Just say I want to trade it in for a fresh warrnety and the game. I would need to resell the game but with the 25 off i should be able to break even. 60-25=35. Would the XVI be digital code or physical copy?

Tbh, it would be simple, all i need to do is trade it toward the ps5 FFXVI bundle. Just say I want to trade it in for a fresh warrnety and the game. I would need to resell the game but with the 25 off i should be able to break even. 60-25=35. Would the XVI be digital code or physical copy?
that is actually what i was thinking, but I knew you were having problems with ff16, so I wasn't sure if you would want to pay the premium for the bundle. im pretty sure all the bundle consoles are digital games now.

that is actually what i was thinking, but I knew you were having problems with ff16, so I wasn't sure if you would want to pay the premium for the bundle. im pretty sure all the bundle consoles are digital games now.
I can probbaly resell the game easily for 40-50 ish. I try playing street fighter 6, no reboot issue at all.

Bought Vice City Stories for PS2, they shipped me standard Vice City.

Bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS3, they shipped me the standard Marvel vs Capcom.

I don't even know why I still buy online from these clowns.
I'm trying to burn through hundreds of thousands of points since they'll nuke them if I ever let me Pro membership lapse (maybe not immediately but I don't trust them one bit). Would be great if they had a bigger reward threshold for online use, since 1) I can't just get a $60 order shipped for free and 2) having to mix up rewards/cash just to hit the $80 threshold is silly. But then that would be expecting GS to function with logic.

I did somehow get the deluxe editions of WWE & PGA 2K23 last week, both with unused codes, so there's that.

Still debating on what to do with all my "new" games but it's not even worth trying to email them and getting ghosted. It will suck when they die off but they did it to themselves.

There's little to no incentive to walking into a GS to buy a new game vs Amazon/Target/Walmart/BB.
GS did a great job killing that.
I take it a step further and say its not even worth preordering there. I swore off it after being burned the last 4 times. Zelda preorder wood, Fire Emblem tarot cards, Diablo IV steelbook. And there was an amiibo I had preordered an amiibo; they sold my preorder. I stick to bestbuy now. They've been getting all the steelbooks, plus they actually deliver on their preorder bonuses. Haven't had an issue yet. In fact, at least half the time I get the game a day early.

An FYI for anyone else that prefers paying the extra $5 for the physical editions of Game Informer with your rewards membership - A store manager I usually trust persuaded me to just get the digital sub this time as he says they're for sure shutting GI down this year. I told him I thought that had been a rumor for a few years now but he insisted it was happening soon.
They've cut staffing for GI to the bone over the last couple of years (I also think I saw something on Twitter from someone who's left there that they're down to 15 people total for the whole production of the magazine), so I would not be surprised for that to be true.

It seems like if I want to auto-renew 1 year PRO membership for $15 I have to pay with a credit or debit card; there's no way to pay with points or with credit on my trade card. 

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong thanks! 

It seems like if I want to auto-renew 1 year PRO membership for $15 I have to pay with a credit or debit card; there's no way to pay with points or with credit on my trade card.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong thanks!
Wouldn't do auto renew at all but if you go in store you can use TIC

Is there an end date for the bonus?
Get $25 Extra Trade Credit when you trade in any video game console and purchase any new PS5 console: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades. Excludes PS VR items.

that is the only fine print, no dates for it. but i have seen the banner before so it has been going on for a while.

I'm trying to burn through hundreds of thousands of points since they'll nuke them if I ever let me Pro membership lapse (maybe not immediately but I don't trust them one bit). Would be great if they had a bigger reward threshold for online use, since 1) I can't just get a $60 order shipped for free and 2) having to mix up rewards/cash just to hit the $80 threshold is silly. But then that would be expecting GS to function with logic.

I did somehow get the deluxe editions of WWE & PGA 2K23 last week, both with unused codes, so there's that.

Still debating on what to do with all my "new" games but it's not even worth trying to email them and getting ghosted. It will suck when they die off but they did it to themselves.
Best way to use points is in store on the Buy 1 get 1 new. When you use the points, it applies to both games, not just one...

Did gamestop change some rule again?  Since my account been ban, I always use my friend account and go to suburb to trade in games since they require id in city, not the burb.  Today I drag my ps5 to the burb gamestop i been to a few months to try to trade it in, I was surpise they suddenly ask for ID.  I just say I don'ty have it and walked out.  I am located in Chicago BTW.   Is it because it is a system trade they require ID?  I guess I will need to wait till my friend is free to help me trade in.  In the mean time i ordered a 980 pro to install to ps5 to see if it would solve the freeze hard lock issue

Did gamestop change some rule again? Since my account been ban, I always use my friend account and go to suburb to trade in games since they require id in city, not the burb. Today I drag my ps5 to the burb gamestop i been to a few months to try to trade it in, I was surpise they suddenly ask for ID. I just say I don'ty have it and walked out. I am located in Chicago BTW. Is it because it is a system trade they require ID? I guess I will need to wait till my friend is free to help me trade in. In the mean time i ordered a 980 pro to install to ps5 to see if it would solve the freeze hard lock issue
Requirements for trades (hold period, ID, no sealed items, signature for over X amount, etc.) are generally based on local/state pawn laws, not GameStop.

Just got back from going in-store to use my monthly coupon. They had signs printed and hung up for a B2G1 on all pre-owned games starting 6/30/23. 1 Day early starts on 6/29/23 for Pro members. Didn't think to take a pic.

They also had PS2, PS3 and Wii U games out as well.

B2g1 preowned is active in the website. And rakuten is currently 7% back on pre owned. But they gave me 7% of the entire total of the 3 games, not just the 2 that aren’t free. Just bought 12 games lol

Bought Vice City Stories for PS2, they shipped me standard Vice City.

Bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS3, they shipped me the standard Marvel vs Capcom.

I don't even know why I still buy online from these clowns.
Bought Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PS4 during the Buy 4 for $40 and got Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. It's gonna be a bitch to return this too. My local stores won't take it unless they have a copy of the original game I ordered...

B2g1 preowned is active in the website. And rakuten is currently 7% back on pre owned. But they gave me 7% of the entire total of the 3 games, not just the 2 that aren’t free. Just bought 12 games lol
It always goes based on the entire total.

Is anyone else unable to check out using the Rakuten app? Whenever I click Check Out it does the little loading animation for a moment, and then nothing happens.

That did work as an option, but I'm paying with a gift card.

I was able to check out in Chrome by forcing desktop mode for both websites, but I'm not even sure if the cash back activated or not. Just have to wait and see.

Any decent flips? I want to order a couple cheap items on clearance, but the absurd shipping threshold just kills it. If I could get some games with it and get my money back, that'd be nice. I looked for a little bit last night and didn't see anything though.

Recently when I went to a gamestop to get B1G1 on Ishin the employee automatically added the 1 year warranty for $4 or whatever and didnt ask if I wanted it but did declare it while summarizing the order and I said I dont want it

Cant believe people do this on I'm assuming virtually every single transaction and dont think it wont backfire at some point 

Recently when I went to a gamestop to get B1G1 on Ishin the employee automatically added the 1 year warranty for $4 or whatever and didnt ask if I wanted it but did declare it while summarizing the order and I said I dont want it

Cant believe people do this on I'm assuming virtually every single transaction and dont think it wont backfire at some point
At least he told you, I’ve had them do it and say nothing. Luckily for me I pay attention to the pin pad now as to it shows everything you’re purchasing. I get it you’re trying to keep your job. At least try to upsell on it instead of pulling scummy shit.

That did work as an option, but I'm paying with a gift card.

I was able to check out in Chrome by forcing desktop mode for both websites, but I'm not even sure if the cash back activated or not. Just have to wait and see.
I've had this issue before too. In the future select PayPal. Go through the hoops as if you are paying with PayPal and then at the final checkout screen before hitting submit you can change it to a gift card/credit and it works that way. It's very annoying.

checked out a couple stores close by on lunch break and they all had 'retro' games (albeit not great selection) - 360/Wii U/PS3/DS/3DS 

and some 3ds consoles 

if interested give it a peep never know might be some underpriced gems 

Last game I bought from Gamestop, the employee added it at the start as well. I asked them if they added it or the system added it, and they said, "I don't even know anymore."

I told them I didn't want it.

Later, as the price was ringing up, they asked me if I wanted the warranty...and I told her in the middle of her speech that no, I already said I didn't want it, then they got SUPER upset with me that I "interrupted" them. It was a very uncomfortable and disappointing experience. I haven't gone back to that Gamestop since.

Gonna have to start using Rakuten, MS Bing hasn't paid out on any of my Gamestop.com orders in over a year.  It'll alert me by email when the cash back is ready, but the amount is always $0.

bread's done
Back