The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Stock checker typically lies as I doubt these games are magically out of stock in a 50 mile radius. Especially so6 which is what I'd pick up but they are always out of stock on it. 

Is skyward sword worth even playing on switch? I don’t think they upgraded graphics on it and I heard the controls are really bad on switch. Debating on grabbing it.

Went to 2 different stores, neither had WWE 2k23 on Series or Hogwarts Legacy on X1. I asked them to check but they said it wasn't available anywhere nearby. I did see Metroid Dread, Skyward Sword and Elden Ring. Some prices weren't updated but the employees were scanning them and I assuming updating them. Was able to trade in Miles Morales before the expected trade value nerf tomorrow.

Is skyward sword worth even playing on switch? I don’t think they upgraded graphics on it and I heard the controls are really bad on switch. Debating on grabbing it.
The game does look better, it's upscaled and much cleaner than the Wii release but you can definitely tell the game doesn't hold up visually. Also, neither control scheme (Switch motion controls or the non-motion controls) feel all that natural, I thought the original Wii motion controls were better even if I didn't care for the waggle controls.

I really liked it on the Wii, even with my distaste for waggle, it's prob my 2nd or 3rd fav Wii game. But on the NS... I just didn't care for it as much. It was a good game but there's much better Zeldas on the system. I'd say get it only if you need more Zelda after Link's Awakening, BotW and TotK.

I bought it a while back, because my wife asked for it, but I considered Skyward Sword to be the worst Zelda game (even compared to Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass). There’s nothing in the Switch port to redeem it, and I’d recommend you play pretty much any other Zelda game instead.

It was available for shipping for a while but wasn't available for pickup near me. Definitely seems like a price mistake, but I'll be sure to try to PM with their website if my local store has it in stock and price on website stays same.
It was available for like 30 mins for shipping. I managed to snag 3 and added a game for free shipping. Seems like an error for sure. Let’s see if they ship. Will prob just sell on eBay though.
Wow that sold out FAST! Missed that then :puke:

Also random update on my Pro membership that expires today. I (and the store associate) figured it would expire at midnight PST (12 hours ago) but I think I still have until the rest of the day before it dies? When I go to Account Overview, it shows that I still have points remaining and that I have a Pro Digital membership that says "Expires:07/16/2023" with a link to renew next to it. When I go to 'Manage Pro Membership', it says "You currently have no active subscriptions". My active offers is also showing that I still the $1 reward certificate that I used the last of my points to redeem. When trying to check out a pre-owned game, the 5% off discount for Pro members still shows up.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with spending the rest of my points on Mario Kart 8 for my sister. Otherwise I seriously didn't have anything else to buy because I only have a Series S and playing PC/Game Pass games exclusively and even then I haven't been gaming as much (other than that Cyberpunk 2077 binge recently). At some point I will get both SX/PS5 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can any Pokémon card players help me out?

My son is just getting into them and we got him a violet trainer kit, some booster packs, a tin — diamond maybe?

Anyway, is there any chance these cards are worth anything right now? Should I bother checking them or just let him do whatever he wants with them. So far I looked up some articles and the highest violet card is like $20 so who cares.

If a card was worth $100 or something I’d sell it for him.

Now that digital video game sales have overtaken physical game sales, it is time for GameStop to have separate listings for used “game only” and “game with case”. That likely means lower trade values if no case but that is fair.

Goodness they already offered me a discount on the membership for $20 a year. That’s how I know it’s a failure already with the price increase.
If you're still a current member, make sure they're not using your July $5 or 5,000 of your points to offer it to you at that price.

Got a targeted email. Not a terrible deal if your Pro membership lapsed.

GypFF2W.png

I bought it a while back, because my wife asked for it, but I considered Skyward Sword to be the worst Zelda game (even compared to Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass). There’s nothing in the Switch port to redeem it, and I’d recommend you play pretty much any other Zelda game instead.
Sounds about right. I can't believe the original got a 93 metacritic score. If it wasn't named Zelda it would have been getting 5s and 6s and that's no exaggeration. I love the series but that game sucked and almost killed it before BOTW came along. There's a reason it only sold 3 million copies to 100 million Wii owners.

I grabbed Harvestella today, $29.99 for a “new” copy. Got it home and the My Nintendo coins for the game had already been redeemed. I shouldn’t be surprised, I guess.

Gotta love when a Jr Detective that I thought was my friend (we knew each other for years) falsely reported that I was a reseller and got my account banned... The reason on my account is being said as "confirmed reseller for BoxLunch". Anyone who knows about BoxLunch knows they aren't a reseller store. The only person in any store who knew I worked at BoxLunch in the past was my friend.

I haven't worked for BoxLunch since November 2022 and even when providing termination papers from the company, they refuse to change the decision.

I lost out on 122K points and ANY assistance over the support line. I had 2 outstanding orders where I didn't receive the disc and cartridge of games and they are now flat out denying the refund or replacement immediately because any account who has been flagged/banned are automatically denied any assistance.

This was the message I was told by an agent that was DEFINITELY not supposed to be told to me - "OmniChannel Issue Investigation. Do not process any refunds. Do not process any replacements. Do not allow any assistance for this user."

Man I knew GameStop blows but this is just the icing on top.

Wow, they want all out on you. Wouldn’t surprise me if there are rewards for flagging potential “abusers”. Best to move on and let them sink.

Gotta love when a Jr Detective that I thought was my friend (we knew each other for years) falsely reported that I was a reseller and got my account banned... The reason on my account is being said as "confirmed reseller for BoxLunch". Anyone who knows about BoxLunch knows they aren't a reseller store. The only person in any store who knew I worked at BoxLunch in the past was my friend.

I haven't worked for BoxLunch since November 2022 and even when providing termination papers from the company, they refuse to change the decision.

I lost out on 122K points and ANY assistance over the support line. I had 2 outstanding orders where I didn't receive the disc and cartridge of games and they are now flat out denying the refund or replacement immediately because any account who has been flagged/banned are automatically denied any assistance.

This was the message I was told by an agent that was DEFINITELY not supposed to be told to me - "OmniChannel Issue Investigation. Do not process any refunds. Do not process any replacements. Do not allow any assistance for this user."

"Do not allow any assistance for this user."

Goddamn that sucks. Did you tell the Jr Detective that you're no longer with BoxLunch? If so, what happened? "Oops, my bad?" Kind of lame you didn't get a warning at all.

"Do not allow any assistance for this user."

Goddamn that sucks. Did you tell the Jr Detective that you're no longer with BoxLunch? If so, what happened? "Oops, my bad?" Kind of lame you didn't get a warning at all.
Yeah of course. It was one of the first things out of my mouth when I found out he worked for GameStop after I left the company. Yeah zero warning whatsoever. I only found out because my account was giving me issues in store not being recognized and it was bizarre. Every other employee attributed it to the GameStop Pro change that happened but when I called earlier this month, that's what they told me.

What's worse is this past weekend when I mentioned to one of the employees what was going on and being truthful with why my account was glitching out on their end, they decided to call Support to see if I was even allowed to shop in store. Of course, I got denied with that too, wasting 20 minutes of my time.

I'm just glad my old employee discount from 3 years ago still works online.

Contact a small claims lawyer. You might very well be able to get some restitution out of your so-called "friend."

I see a banner that says extra $50 when you trade in a series x or ps5. just scroll down on the main page it is next to the power trade games. would make them both $407.50 if it actually works in store
I hope this is not a continuing trend where they leave off Series S and Switch from future bonus trade promos.

Contact a small claims lawyer. You might very well be able to get some restitution out of your so-called "friend."
Okay that seems a little extra don't ya think? The easiest thing for me is just to not shop there anymore and if I still want to, just make a new account.

I'd suggest doing chargebacks since gamestop refuses to issue you refunds. Your card company will side with you and the only downside would be that gamestop won't let you use them for purchases which since you are already banned is moot.

I'd suggest doing chargebacks since gamestop refuses to issue you refunds. Your card company will side with you and the only downside would be that gamestop won't let you use them for purchases which since you are already banned is moot.
This or file a complaint with BBB. You’ll get in contact with someone who actually has more power then people over the phone. I’ve had terrible experiences with email/phone with people I’ve spoken to. That’s super shady what they pulled with you. Unless you were trading in multiples of items constantly and over the limit I don’t see why a junior detective can flag your account just because your work place.

This or file a complaint with BBB. You’ll get in contact with someone who actually has more power then people over the phone. I’ve had terrible experiences with email/phone with people I’ve spoken to. That’s super shady what they pulled with you. Unless you were trading in multiples of items constantly and over the limit I don’t see why a junior detective can flag your account just because your work place.
BBB has no power. And GS won’t give a shit because they’re GS. Credit card company is the way to go.

I see a banner that says extra $50 when you trade in a series x or ps5. just scroll down on the main page it is next to the power trade games. would make them both $407.50 if it actually works in store
Doesnt this usually just mean that the base value was increased by $50 and not an extra $50 on top of the current value?

Doesnt this usually just mean that the base value was increased by $50 and not an extra $50 on top of the current value?
it has been reported on slick deals that they got $407 for a ps5. I personally have never seen this kind of promo already baked into the base value but I rarely pay that much attention.

On a whim I asked my homestore if any nearby store had any gamecube games in stock and after a high-speed race across town lo-and-behold... 

CYB8naN.png

Fire Emblem was even "on sale" for a semi-reasonable $95! (pro discount ftw!)

Also, they still haven't re-listed most of the PS1 generation of games, so don't expect those anytime soon sadly

On a whim I asked my homestore if any nearby store had any gamecube games in stock and after a high-speed race across town lo-and-behold...

CYB8naN.png

Also, they still haven't re-listed most of the PS1 generation of games, so don't expect those anytime soon sadly
Oh damn how much was that Wind Wake combo?

What is the one in the middle?

Congratulations sorta on getting path of radiance. Shame it cost you that much.
It's probably my favorite entry because of the skill system and victory points system.

CYB8naN.png

I couldn't find games like that in stock back in 2005.... you're finding them in 2023. Insane.

Literally the only thing I thought that flagged my account before the reason I was given was the amount of returns I was doing from the Buy 4 for $20/40 sale online. I bought too much and 80% of what I got came without any cases of artwork because of the BS lottery you gotta play. But the real reason is dumber than that. I planned on doing a chargeback tomorrow so it's all in place.

Wow that sold out FAST! Missed that then :puke:

Also random update on my Pro membership that expires today. I (and the store associate) figured it would expire at midnight PST (12 hours ago) but I think I still have until the rest of the day before it dies? When I go to Account Overview, it shows that I still have points remaining and that I have a Pro Digital membership that says "Expires:07/16/2023" with a link to renew next to it. When I go to 'Manage Pro Membership', it says "You currently have no active subscriptions". My active offers is also showing that I still the $1 reward certificate that I used the last of my points to redeem. When trying to check out a pre-owned game, the 5% off discount for Pro members still shows up.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with spending the rest of my points on Mario Kart 8 for my sister. Otherwise I seriously didn't have anything else to buy because I only have a Series S and playing PC/Game Pass games exclusively and even then I haven't been gaming as much (other than that Cyberpunk 2077 binge recently). At some point I will get both SX/PS5 though.
So my Gamestop Pro Membership should've expired two days ago on 7/16 but for some reason I still see points in my account including the newly added ones from purchases on 7/15. I still see my $1 rewards certificate I redeemed points for too. Anyone know what's going on here? Do I still have Pro until the end of the month or what? I'll update y'all if I still have it after this month though. I don't want to contact any associates out of fear of Jr Detectives on my ass in case the system is messed up.

You won't be able to use the coupons. Your points will expire in three months unless you renew.
Right, I remember you saying I wouldn't be able to use the coupons. However, I definitely did not remember you saying there was a grace period of three months to renew before they actually expire.

Your coupon expires when your membership does. At least the monthly ones do, so I'm assuming it's the same with one you redeemed for points with. You can't stack pricematch and coupon. You should have bought literally anything since now you just threw your points away unless you go back again.
It's OK though, not like I was planning to renew but it's nice to have options just in case there's a nice Pro-only deal like $50 trade-in bonus for Series S. I only redeemed the $1 certificate out of FOMO just in case I had something else to go back and buy (I thought about the Division 2 but it's digital is also dirt cheap when on sale). I appreciate the help though.

But anyway, a very very "interesting" user experience as a lapsed Gamestop Pro member so far. No real indication that I'm expired since it still says I'm a Pro member under my account. If I wasn't a Pro member anymore then it would be nice to have some thing to remind me to renew Pro to use my rewards cert before it expires or a put an expiration date on my points so I know I have some time to FOMO back in. Maybe it's "by design". Also, the points from 7/15 were posted on 7/17 so if I weren't a Pro member then I wouldn't have gotten those points since only Pro members can earn points. WACK

I didn't mention the grace period because come December, your points will expire regardless of whether you have a membership or not if it's been a year since you earned them. If you're not Pro, then your points should expire by December even if they're not 3 months old. You can read the FAQ here.

Did you check if you have auto-renewal on?

I didn't mention the grace period because come December, your points will expire regardless of whether you have a membership or not if it's been a year since you earned them. If you're not Pro, then your points should expire by December even if they're not 3 months old. You can read the FAQ here.

Ah, yes. I read the FAQ although apparently not too carefully because I must've skipped that part about where it said "Points held by non-Pro Members expire after three (3) months from the last day the Member made a purchase or trade." I also got confused with the "Prior to" and "After" Dec 2023 parts and switched them up. :oldman:

I think the situation I had in mind was to renew my Pro in October, redeem my points and they would expire at the end of November and use them during Black Friday if there are any better deals than right now. It's a HUGE gamble, I know (since Nintendo games don't really get big discounts although MK8 was recently $30 for Prime Day and also at Target the same day), and it would still cost me money out of pocket. At least I minimized the damage by using them before my Pro expired and not having to renew.

And nope, I did not have auto-renew on. I made pretty damn sure. I don't see a charge either and I didn't get an email. :bouncy:

Thanks for clarifying that for me, mate, and pointing back to the FAQ. I basically read through it really quickly out of...FOMO from what I thought was my last day. FOMO is one helluva drug :joystick:

Come December they'll expire if the points are over a year old. Expiring upon expiration of Pro is CURRENTLY already in effect.

Come December they'll expire if the points are over a year old. Expiring upon expiration of Pro is CURRENTLY already in effect.
There's the bit that says:

Prior to December 1, 2023, points held by Pro Members expire after one (1) year from the last day the Pro Member made a purchase or trade. Points held by non-Pro Members expire after three (3) months from the last day the Member made a purchase or trade.
If you basically cash in your $5 monthly then that's going to keep pushing it back until the Dec 1 changes happen.

On or after December 1, 2023, points held by Members will expire if you are not a Pro Member, and all points will expire one (1) year from the date of accumulation (which is the date when points are posted to the Member's Account).

bread's done
Back