The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Anyone else experience a store not opening? It seemed like the employee didn't bother to show up today at my local store. A lot of people showed up and waited until 12:30pm and then could not wait anymore because it was 102 degrees.
last friday i went to the store in the afternoon and they were closed. theres a paper said Closed Today.

went in today (my pro expires 8.18.23) and the guy behind the counter said it would not let him renew. Anyone had this happen before? I know i was on a trade ban with this account...I wonder if they are banning memberships now?
I don't have any flags on my account but a clerk wasn't able to renew my membership in store (this was before the change) because I had auto-renew. He had me open up GS' website on my phone browser (not the app) and told me how to disable auto-renew. After that, waited a minute and he was able to renew in store.

So anyone have any luck redeeming those extra monthly $5 coupons? I tried to use one yesterday but the rep pulled up the real coupon in his pos and added it to my transaction.

So anyone have any luck redeeming those extra monthly $5 coupons? I tried to use one yesterday but the rep pulled up the real coupon in his pos and added it to my transaction.
I think it was just a glitch. They were gone yesterday morning before I tried to use them.

Is there a way to remove a Gift Card from your online account ?

I want to pay for something with a Gamestop gift card, but there will be a significant balance afterward

Given the recent online breaches, I don't want to run into a problem if my account gets hacked

I tested the system by adding a small gift card, but under My Payments sections in my Profile, I don't see it there

I tried and they came up invalid in store when the associate scanned my screenshots of them

Anyone else experience a store not opening? It seemed like the employee didn't bother to show up today at my local store. A lot of people showed up and waited until 12:30pm and then could not wait anymore because it was 102 degrees.
Gamestop has one of the highest turnover rates in the industry and since they are one of the few nationwide business that still pay next to or at minimum wage, they can't replace people at the same rate.

So when you have 1 person working a 10 hour shift by themselves knowing they aren't hiring others, they come in whenever they can since they have shit to do outside of work. Unfortunately.

Is there a way to remove a Gift Card from your online account ?
I want to pay for something with a Gamestop gift card, but there will be a significant balance afterward
Given the recent online breaches, I don't want to run into a problem if my account gets hacked
I tested the system by adding a small gift card, but under My Payments sections in my Profile, I don't see it there
It doesn't save gift or trade cards.

went in today (my pro expires 8.18.23) and the guy behind the counter said it would not let him renew. Anyone had this happen before? I know i was on a trade ban with this account...I wonder if they are banning memberships now?
You likely have auto renew turned on from last year and have to log into your account on the website to turn auto renew off.

^As a followup , if not in a hurry is it not better to wait for after the pro week since you can then do the madden bonus for +30%

Gamestop has one of the highest turnover rates in the industry and since they are one of the few nationwide business that still pay next to or at minimum wage, they can't replace people at the same rate.

So when you have 1 person working a 10 hour shift by themselves knowing they aren't hiring others, they come in whenever they can since they have shit to do outside of work. Unfortunately.
And they ride the employees to reach insane sales metrics. In order to keep thier job and/or get scheduled for shifts they have to have high percentage of reservations, power up rewards sign-ups and warranties sold. So low pay and it being a shitty company to work for is why the turnover rate is so high.

What I like about Gamestop is that they always keep you guessing. Who do they hate more? Thier employees, or thier customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I like about Gamestop is that they always keep you guessing. Who do they hate more? Thier employees, or thier customers.
Both! As a former employee it felt like the high pressure sales tactics that corporate required makes the employee hate the customer and vice versa. Pushy employees who can't take no for an answer are scummy and horrible to deal with. And as a employee it's easy to hate people who turn down all your sales pitches because without hitting metrics you won't get scheduled and you will get yelled at by your micro managing district manager.

With everything combined it feels like Gamestop just hates existing as a business in general, and takes it out on everyone responsible for perpetuating that existence.

I suspect Gamestop only exists now because it was propped up by being a meme stock. Had it not exploded in early 2021 and stayed sub $4 the whole time, would it still be around?

I suspect Gamestop only exists now because it was propped up by being a meme stock. Had it not exploded in early 2021 and stayed sub $4 the whole time, would it still be around?
yeah they were hundreds of millions in debt without being profitable and no path to new revenue streams. They're still just treading water since their operations aren't enough to drive profitability.

they're not investing in new ways to make money or increase margins, so they're just doing enough to pay labor costs and overhead. NFT marketplace is a lost cause. Store and website traffic is stagnant. They've finally cut ties with advertising partners (cashback sites). But they're in position to slowly slowly bleed unless they make a move to expand or take some kind of risk.

With everything combined it feels like Gamestop just hates existing as a business in general, and takes it out on everyone responsible for perpetuating that existence.
Absolutely. The used car salesman high pressure tactis makes it miserable for both employees and customers. So I can totally understand why a complete stores would quit without notice and not be able to open for the day. Leaving a sign on the door notifying the customers that the whole staff quit due to it being a horrible company to work for is pretty common on gamestop employee reddit nowadays.

If you return an item purchased with a points certificate , will you get the full price of the order back on your trade credit or just the amount paid after the cert?

Example used a $10 points cert on a $15 item if I return this will o be refunded $15 for the item or just $5 and then lose out on the 10,000 points I used for the cert redemption.

Also not sure if others have any ideas on what to use points certs on instead of e-credit (was told no longer works on steam or eshop codes, what a bummer at least the monthly still works).

Also not sure if others have any ideas on what to use points certs on instead of e-credit (was told no longer works on steam or eshop codes, what a bummer at least the monthly still works).
Slim pickings. Best use is probably in-store to hopefully stack with a game already on sale. Second best might be a first party Nintendo game on release.

If your points will last, Black Friday's usually good at Gamestop. Last year I got quite the haul online.

If you return an item purchased with a points certificate , will you get the full price of the order back on your trade credit or just the amount paid after the cert?
Example used a $10 points cert on a $15 item if I return this will o be refunded $15 for the item or just $5 and then lose out on the 10,000 points I used for the cert redemption.
This is GS we're talking about. Of course it is the worst case scenario. You get refunded the amount after the cert and yiu don't get the cert or points back.

How long does $$ deposited towards a preorder stay in the system at the store you made the pre-order at? Basically I put $5 down on RE4 months ago but ended up picking my a copy at a different store. I plan on going to the store I made the initial preorder at and using my monthly coupon and said $5 to buy a psn card. 

How long does $$ deposited towards a preorder stay in the system at the store you made the pre-order at? Basically I put $5 down on RE4 months ago but ended up picking my a copy at a different store. I plan on going to the store I made the initial preorder at and using my monthly coupon and said $5 to buy a psn card.
Forever? Or until it’s stolen. But most likely, until the store closes.

Double checking, you can still use trade in credit and the monthly $5 toward Steam credit right? Thinking of turning a long unused Switch Pro controller into Baldur's Gate 3

Double checking, you can still use trade in credit and the monthly $5 toward Steam credit right? Thinking of turning a long unused Switch Pro controller into Baldur's Gate 3
Yes, The monthly coupon should still work on steam cards, eShop, PSN.... It's when you redeem your accrued points that that's only works on physical merchandise.

Yes, The monthly coupon should still work on steam cards, eShop, PSN.... It's when you redeem your accrued points that that's only works on physical merchandise.
Fwiw, I hass an associate say I could redeem my points towards a physical eshop card the other day. Didn't try it but are we 💯 that it's locked down too?

Used last months $5 monthly on a $20 steam card, though they don't carry the physical cards anymore. Have to ask them to print it out for you.

Fairly certain that if you go in store and do a "Web In Store order" that the free shipping threshold is only $25 compared to $79 on the website at home.
Has anyone had any success with this? I called up two different gamestops and neither had any idea what I was talking about.

Has anyone had any success with this? I called up two different gamestops and neither had any idea what I was talking about.
I have not done it myself, but the workers at the store I shop at have said it to customers to attempt to stop them from leaving when they don't have random games in stock anywhere in STL.

Used last months $5 monthly on a $20 steam card, though they don't carry the physical cards anymore. Have to ask them to print it out for you.
This is most likely b/c there is a lot of elder abuse fraud tied to Steam and Razer Gold cards so many stores are just hiding the cards under the counter/in the drawers/in the back of the store.

I’m sure it’s due to employees getting thrown into running the store solo without any training. Yes they should be able to order an item in store for you. But they got maybe a couple hours of training before they were thrown to the sharks so it’s probably not on the highest priority to train on.

Fwiw, I hass an associate say I could redeem my points towards a physical eshop card the other day. Didn't try it but are we 💯 that it's locked down too?
I suppose you could try your luck again, but it's been shut down the last 2 months. I'd have a fallback plan on what you use that coupon for if it doesn't work on the POSA cards

I received both of my b1g1 orders.  I ordered:

Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society PS5

Neptunia: Sisters VS Sisters PS5

Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End and the Secret Key PS5

Loop8: Summer of Gods PS4

Little Witch Nobeta PS4

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Switch

Everything came sealed except for Hyrule Warriors but it was minty, even the case.  Very happy with my purchases!

So it hit me that GS never sent me the Twilight Princess Link amiibo and I could not find the order online. Turns out, the order was cancelled and they never told me. 

They also decided that they won't be refunding me points for my $15 cert I used. 

This company.... 

So it hit me that GS never sent me the Twilight Princess Link amiibo and I could not find the order online. Turns out, the order was cancelled and they never told me.

They also decided that they won't be refunding me points for my $15 cert I used.

This company....
Just amazing they still exist.

As always you should avoid trying to use certs or points unless you are buying something in person. It may not end well.
Yeah except like I said before...

This is the GS paradox...

Online - can find something you want; but shipping costs/free ship threshold are asinine and you can only use 1 cert.

VS

In Store - can find Funko Pop and other "merchandise" that you don't want; but they'll let you stack rewards certs.

bread's done
Back