The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any success with this? I called up two different gamestops and neither had any idea what I was talking about.
I did it today. Ordered a $40 title and got free shipping. It requires a Pro Membership. Most of them don't even know how to process a web in store order. In store receipt just shows Gamestop.com Order $42.39 which is the dollar amount with tax for me. REF has the online order ID and then it later showed up on my Pro account no different than any other online order. It shows savings was $7.99 on the website for the order for the free shipping.

Yes, The monthly coupon should still work on steam cards, eShop, PSN.... It's when you redeem your accrued points that that's only works on physical merchandise.
When I went to the store on 7/1, the associate told me flat out that the monthly coupon doesn't work on gaming gift cards in store anymore.

Another GameStop lie. I left and didn't buy anything even though I needed an Xbox card.

Not sure if it was mentioned before " FREE shipping on Pre-Orders $59+ Arrives on or shortly after release day".

Not guaranteed release day, not guaranteed preorder goodies (as we've seen), and knowing GS probably not even guaranteed free shipping. I don't trust online orders as far as I can throw them.

Not sure if anyone else has ran into this yet or not. A friend renewed their membership a couple of months back before it expired. Paid for it in store to renew. The account never reflected that they had renewed it. So they lost all of their points.

Another friend renewed yesterday and upon looking at their account it also hasn't updated to reflect the renewal of the membership. He's awaiting a response from their e-mail customer care team in regards to it.

In short, if you renew in store verify your account actually gets renewed.

Used my final $5 monthly credit on Pokémon cards
B1G1 50% off was cool too
It’s been a great ride, pay $15 in trade credit for a year membership and get $60 in store credit a year, oh well

Black Friday $15 yearly membership + 1000 point sign up bonus will happen ;)

So there’s a GS in a mall in Philly that’s open 10-7 or 10-8, depending on the weekday. They’ve been at single coverage for at least all of 2023.

This company is so incompetently run that they close for anywhere from 2-3 hours a day due to cutting costs? Considering I’ve seen a rotation of the same 2 people every time I’ve gone in there, they can’t be hiring.

Really wish this company had made real moves when they got that influx of cash instead of whatever it is that they did.

Not guaranteed release day, not guaranteed preorder goodies (as we've seen), and knowing GS probably not even guaranteed free shipping. I don't trust online orders as far as I can throw them.
only time I take a risk is if they do one of those buy x get y sales. Like that buy 3 get 2 that worked on preorders years back. Though they had a payment glitch at the time so my pokemon arceus order was cancelled. But all 9 of the other games were delivered and came as advertised with the preorder items including elden ring. Though that also had a benefit for the of rakuten cashback and dicounted gift cards from target or something.

With all of these posts crapping on gamestop, I'm just hoping my purchase of a psvr2 goes smoothly when I'm forced to buy one because my points are expiring. So sometime before December 1st, I'll have to use them for the PSVR2.

With all of these posts crapping on gamestop, I'm just hoping my purchase of a psvr2 goes smoothly when I'm forced to buy one because my points are expiring. So sometime before December 1st, I'll have to use them for the PSVR2.
How exactly are you going to do that though? Since they changed it so that employees can redeem points for you at checkout, the highest value reward is $25, you can’t stack multiples of the same value, and limit of 3 of any coupon, discount or other offer per day.

How exactly are you going to do that though? Since they changed it so that employees can redeem points for you at checkout, the highest value reward is $25, you can’t stack multiples of the same value, and limit of 3 of any coupon, discount or other offer per day.
I currently have 62,089 points. I'll just buy it online for in-store pickup or just go in store and do the best with those points converting them online or in store rewards. If I can't use all of them in one transaction, I'll use the rest in a different transaction for a game or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it hit me that GS never sent me the Twilight Princess Link amiibo and I could not find the order online. Turns out, the order was cancelled and they never told me.

They also decided that they won't be refunding me points for my $15 cert I used.

This company....
I learned never to use certs on anything you won’t get right away. Or anything you might change your mind on. The company is just stupid.

Went to GameStop to trade a couple things in, got around $100. Wanted to get a $50 PSN and $50 Steam card but employee said they can’t do Steam credit… instead of arguing got $100 PSN, not the end of the world I suppose.

even in stores a lot of times they don’t get enough for preorders happened to me recently with pikmin 4. I’m hoping I get my Spider-Man controller that I pre ordered in store. Im preparing myself for disappointment tho .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So there’s a GS in a mall in Philly that’s open 10-7 or 10-8, depending on the weekday. They’ve been at single coverage for at least all of 2023.
This company is so incompetently run that they close for anywhere from 2-3 hours a day due to cutting costs? Considering I’ve seen a rotation of the same 2 people every time I’ve gone in there, they can’t be hiring.
Really wish this company had made real moves when they got that influx of cash instead of whatever it is that they did.
They are hiring but nobody wants to work for $9-$10 an hour with no benefits for a company that pushes for unrealistic metrics. Plus throw in the unprofessionalism that seems to be the standard that managers and district managers have that other companies would fire for.

Went to GameStop to trade a couple things in, got around $100. Wanted to get a $50 PSN and $50 Steam card but employee said they can’t do Steam credit… instead of arguing got $100 PSN, not the end of the world I suppose.
Well they can do Steam though only in $20 or $50 codes that print out on the receipt. It's also available on the website which you can use trade credit to pay with.

Monthly coupons stack with the $50 Dualsense sale.

Horizon Forbidden West PS4 is $21.27 preowned and has a free PS5 upgrade.

I think those are both the cheapest they've been.

Anyone tried to update their billing information on an online order lately? I tried to change my card and billing address on some pre-orders online but even though it says it was updated the orders are still showing the old billing address and card. Does their system just take some time to update or is there some issue?

Anyone tried to update their billing information on an online order lately? I tried to change my card and billing address on some pre-orders online but even though it says it was updated the orders are still showing the old billing address and card. Does their system just take some time to update or is there some issue?
Known issue, has been an issue for a long time. It'll likely never update, and even if updated there's a good chance it ships to old address anyways.

They are hiring but nobody wants to work for $9-$10 an hour with no benefits for a company that pushes for unrealistic metrics. Plus throw in the unprofessionalism that seems to be the standard that managers and district managers have that other companies would fire for.
Anybody with a brain cell would work somewhere else. Pay is most likely higher and fewer responsibilities.

My store had a good manager but the DM gave her a hard time about not holding preorder pops that arrived late (just for the 2 days a preorder should get) and instead selling them to the online orders that came in. She quit and went to LensCrafters where I can bet she is getting more for less stress.

Around the same time another employee that was awesome left because she got an internship.

That store got a new manger but it’s the guy from another store that was only giving the Zelda armsleeves to people who paid for insurance on TOTK so I know my store is going to go to shit.

It's a issue with their end. Your only option is to call cs and have them fix it for you then it should work as I've run into that problem with preorders a year or two ago. It will have to be done on each individual pre/order as well.

I need to spend like $8 to get free shipping on an order, any tips? I also have a $15 online cert sitting, which I could use on something as long as it ends up being $8 after this coupon. 

Anyone happen to know which consoles are included in the $50 bonus trade up for a PS5? Got a controller that's been acting stupid, working now but if I can get a new console and warranty I will, and wouldn't mind trading my PS5 and another console collecting dust in to get a new one since they're $50 off as well.

Great time to buy a ps5 disc console from GS especially if trading in another console.[attachment=38102:IMG_0901.jpeg]

Anyone happen to know which consoles are included in the $50 bonus trade up for a PS5?
PS4 pro is eligible and xbox series X is also eligible for trade boost- just called GS to confirm. Pretty sure only one console will get the 50 trade boost. But a 50 trade boost and $50 discount off the ps5 disc console is pretty sweet. Series x may trade in for 430 with pro membership if you buy a ps5 console.

PS4 pro is eligible and xbox series X is also eligible for trade boost- just called GS to confirm. Pretty sure only one console will get the 50 trade boost. But a 50 trade boost and $50 discount off the ps5 disc console is pretty sweet. Series x may trade in for 430 with pro membership if you buy a ps5 console.
Sony is doing this because they are getting ready for the PS5 Slim (according to Xbox FCC leak). GS is not the only retailer selling the PS5 at a discount, just the only one offering an extra $50 trade in bonus.

https://gamingintel.com/ps5-50-dollar-discount/

Great time to buy a ps5 disc console from GS especially if trading in another console. IMG_0901.jpeg
I just did this. My total after tax came to about 27.31 after tax

PS5: $449.99

XBOX One S: -$138.0 0 (88.00+50)

XBOX Series S: -$242.50 (192.50+50)

$25 Certificate

$15 Certificate

$5 Monthly coupon

Total $24.49 before tax

I got the Series S from the Verizon deal when I only paid $150 for it. :D/

$25 Certificate

$15 Certificate

$5 Monthly coupon

Total $24.49 before tax

I've been waiting to trade my Series S with the $50 extra trade in bonus, but I don't like the Fat PS5 (waiting on a PS5 Slim which is suppose to come out in September). I guess I'll keep waiting.

I just did this.
Interesting the 50 trade boost applied to both consoles you traded in. Did this require a manual override or was done automatically by the point-of-sale system at the register when you purchased?

I've been waiting to trade my Series S with the $50 extra trade in bonus, but I don't like the Fat PS5 (waiting on a PS5 Slim which is suppose to come out in September). I guess I'll keep waiting.
If you read the article, you will see that it will have a detachable disc drive and the exact same specs as the current ps5. Not sure what you are waiting for- I don’t think it will be much slimmer.
A ps5 pro on the other hand (if true and ever launched; I have no references) might be worthwhile to wait for.

Also curious that it applies to both consoles wonder if it allows trade amount above value of ps5 say you trade in a ps5 and series s to get a new ps5 and leftover credit with extra $50 on both trade in consoles.

Interesting the 50 trade boost applied to both consoles you traded in. Did this require a manual override or was done automatically by the point-of-sale system at the register when you purchased?
It took him awhile to find the promo but my receipt shows it was applied once the PS5 was scanned.

Has anyone had issues with a dualsense drifting after only a month after use . I had a black controller sitting for over a year before I opened it and it started drifting after not even a month of opening it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$25 Certificate

$15 Certificate

$5 Monthly coupon

Total $24.49 before tax

Yeah, sounds about right. Two Xboxes are almost as good as one Playstation.

Single coverage is definitely to cut costs. It makes the stores a easy to target for robbery and theft. Its hard to feel safe working solo in a random small strip mall when you have a room full of consoles and a register full of cash. Many have quit and are planning to quit because they feel unsafe. Plus working solo coverage at a gamestop is just so bad... phone constantly ringing with the worst questions and crank calls... checking in 80 giant boxes of distro, processing and cleaning trades to make sure they are sellable, taking in new trades, making sure inventory counts are in and accurate, cleaning and alphabetizing games on walls, making sure people don't steal and in-between helping customers. Definitely not worth what they pay.

Great time to buy a ps5 disc console from GS especially if trading in another console.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0901.jpeg
This feels like Sony is going for the jugular right before Starfield launches. I know they've already got a big sales lead and now someone can essentially trade in a Series X and only pay $15 + tax to switch to a PS5.

Xbox is the console that is struggling to sell and Microsoft isn't making any effort to boost sales. They're the ones who should be running this type of promotion. But that's why they're in last place. They stink at marketing.

Single coverage is definitely to cut costs. It makes the stores an easy to target for robbery and theft. Its hard to feel safe working solo in a random small strip mall when you have a room full of consoles and a register full of cash. Many have quit and are planning to quit because they feel unsafe. Plus working solo coverage at a gamestop is just so bad... phone constantly ringing with the worst questions and crank calls... checking in 80 giant boxes of distro, processing and cleaning trades to make sure they are sellable, taking in new trades, making sure inventory counts are in and accurate, cleaning and alphabetizing games on walls, making sure people don't steal and in-between helping customers. Definitely not worth what they pay.
Just curious, anyone else have any other examples of a store or chain that is mostly single coverage? I can’t think of any offhand, outside of small booths at malls, or something like that.

Just curious, anyone else have any other examples of a store or chain that is mostly single coverage? I can’t think of any offhand, outside of small booths at malls, or something like that.
Radio Shack

This feels like Sony is going for the jugular right before Starfield launches. I know they've already got a big sales lead and now someone can essentially trade in a Series X and only pay $15 + tax to switch to a PS5.

Xbox is the console that is struggling to sell and Microsoft isn't making any effort to boost sales. They're the ones who should be running this type of promotion. But that's why they're in last place. They stink at marketing.
Yeah, Xbox's brick & mortar retail presence and public awareness are almost nonexistent at this point. That's a huge oversight. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand nor value the benefit of public visibility, IRL marketing, and physical retail shelf tangibility. These things don't sell themselves like personal computers.

Not everyone gets their commercials from Youtube and streaming.

Core gamers and old school players are also fickle. "There aren't any good games to play". People like being part of the cultural zeitgeist, buying into new releases that people are playing, and that there's a good amount of public discourse and manifestation.

Xbox has molded themselves into this brand that capital-G Gamers play at home by themselves.

Single coverage is definitely to cut costs. It makes the stores a easy to target for robbery and theft. Its hard to feel safe working solo in a random small strip mall when you have a room full of consoles and a register full of cash. Many have quit and are planning to quit because they feel unsafe. Plus working solo coverage at a gamestop is just so bad... phone constantly ringing with the worst questions and crank calls... checking in 80 giant boxes of distro, processing and cleaning trades to make sure they are sellable, taking in new trades, making sure inventory counts are in and accurate, cleaning and alphabetizing games on walls, making sure people don't steal and in-between helping customers. Definitely not worth what they pay.
To be clear, this is a single coverage store in an actual mall (you know, the closest ones not the strip malls, those things going extinct haha).

That's why they have such long hours (10-8), since most GS I know have things like 12-8. I just feel bad for the workers who probably get a lot of eye rolls from customers because they're closed 2-3 hours of the mall hours.

bread's done
Back