The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Put an order in for 6 Switch games, mainly the 1st party ones I hadn't played yet, and it's crazy to see that none of them were technically available in 3 of my local stores.

I'm sorry but being out of stock of 2 year old 1st party Nintendo games, sale or no sale, is pathetic. I bet that they sold out because of online orders too, which is even more pathetic. 

Put an order in for 6 Switch games, mainly the 1st party ones I hadn't played yet, and it's crazy to see that none of them were technically available in 3 of my local stores.

I'm sorry but being out of stock of 2 year old 1st party Nintendo games, sale or no sale, is pathetic. I bet that they sold out because of online orders too, which is even more pathetic.
Put in an order last Saturday and 3 of my 4 games haven't even been picked up yet. And of course the one that comes is gutted. All of these are going back. Should have known better than buy new from GS. Thought these being mostly 1st party N games that theh wouldn't be gutted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that won't be put on game pass? Genuinely asking. I bought a series x for Redfall (oops) and Starfield so I need to extract some value.
Only DLC included for games would be GOTY Editions or Definitive Editions of the games that were released on Gamepass. Unlikely that dlc will be included right away since they will attempt to recoup some more of the development cost before doing so

Only DLC included for games would be GOTY Editions or Definitive Editions of the games that were released on Gamepass. Unlikely that dlc will be included right away since they will attempt to recoup some more of the development cost before doing so
Makes sense. I'm just really unfamiliar with Xbox and gamepass. I've been a PS guy since I started playing games. I only bought a Series X for this. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Ok incredibly noob question but I haven’t been to a GameStop for a long time or anything like that thanks to my newborn baby but I went in today to purchase something and they told me that I better use my points or they are going to expire. I asked why I’ve had them for years and he said it’s their new program. Is this true or is it there usual BS? Sorry for the stupid question but I’ve been out of the loop for quite sometime due to lack of time.

It's true. You should spend your points asap, especially if you're not going to renew Pro, which is $25 now. Points accumulated before December will expire when the new program goes into effect. You can't use points-redeemed coupons on digital currency, but you can use your monthly coupons on them.

It's true. You should spend your points asap, especially if you're not going to renew Pro, which is $25 now. Points accumulated before December will expire when the new program goes into effect. You can't use points-redeemed coupons on digital currency, but you can use your monthly coupons on them.
Damn! Thanks for the response greatly appreciate it. Got nearly 100K of points so I really didn’t want me to just lose them. Gyess I better get to using them up fast! Is there a time frame when this comes into affect and I lose all my points?

Ok incredibly noob question but I haven’t been to a GameStop for a long time or anything like that thanks to my newborn baby but I went in today to purchase something and they told me that I better use my points or they are going to expire. I asked why I’ve had them for years and he said it’s their new program. Is this true or is it there usual BS? Sorry for the stupid question but I’ve been out of the loop for quite sometime due to lack of time.
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn! Thanks for the response greatly appreciate it. Got nearly 100K of points so I really didn’t want me to just lose them. Gyess I better get to using them up fast! Is there a time frame when this comes into affect and I lose all my points?
New policy goes into effect December 1

Do you think that won't be put on game pass? Genuinely asking. I bought a series x for Redfall (oops) and Starfield so I need to extract some value.
DLC for Game Pass titles is never included in the subscription. It is discounted by 10% though.

New policy goes into effect December 1
To be clear, that date is when a whole bunch of our points will expire, so use them before that date.

They don't even have the $50 certificate anymore, which makes it even harder.

Membership is more expensive, fewer ways to earn points, fewer options to use rewards and points on... it's like they want to die.

It’s only a matter of time. Things were bleak before the stock shenanigans but writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

To be clear, that date is when a whole bunch of our points will expire, so use them before that date.

They don't even have the $50 certificate anymore, which makes it even harder.

Membership is more expensive, fewer ways to earn points, fewer options to use rewards and points on... it's like they want to die.
To be fair, it's not that they want to die so much as the video game publishers want them to die. Publishers - including the console makers like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo (who are also big publishers) - have not been shy about the revenue lost to used game sales.

In many ways, Gamepass was probably more of a reaction to slow/stop used game sales than a way to fend off Sony/Nintendo. It just so happened that the streaming service approach became even more pervasive with the pandemic.

Anyways, as much as I dislike Gamestop, it was (and yes, I'm using the past tense because the writing is definitely on the wall) the last obstacle for the industry to leap into digital downloads/transactions. At this point, Gamestops have very little inventory, and it'll only become more and more sparse as most players buy digitally while those who buy physical are not ones who'll sell them back.

Meanwhile, publishers will increasingly migrate games off discs onto streaming and downloads, so what exactly is Gamestop to do? Their sales will keep dropping along with their revenue -- so the only option is to cut benefits/costs (or for the suits to take pay cuts, and we know that'll never happen).

After Gamestop bankrupts, may be someone will buy the name and turn it into a niche/small publisher. I always thought GameTrust was one of the company's most interesting moves that it should have kept with.

Gamestop stays in business for one reason. There are a lot of people who would rather trade their stuff in to them instead of dealing with the absolute idiots on offerup asking if you'll trade a $500 console for their dads old speakers.

The irony is, Gamestop bought Impulse in 2011 and really could have been a viable Steam competitor if they had invested heavily in it.  I actually bought a game on Impulse (The Witcher) before I did on Steam (Torchlight). But they were still seeing so much money from the used game business that whatever voices they had saying a shift was coming were clearly ignored. It would have taken doing something like Epic has in order to really get a foothold; and they would have been in a much better position in 2011 than Epic was in late 2018. To me that's the most interesting "what might have been" in the PC digital gaming space, up there with the long rumored "Valve and MIcrosoft are going to merge and Gabe will become CEO."

Y'all are trying to predict the demise of Gamestop.  Meanwhile, I'm just here trying to figure out how game developers can make a game for Switch and not the Xbox One or PS4.  When a PS5 and Xbox Series version exists with that Switch version.

Y'all are trying to predict the demise of Gamestop. Meanwhile, I'm just here trying to figure out how game developers can make a game for Switch and not the Xbox One or PS4. When a PS5 and Xbox Series version exists with that Switch version.
If I had to guess, I'd bet both Microsoft and Sony are now actively discouraging their primary developers from releasing ports on previous gen consoles in order to make consumers feel more obligated to buy the newer machines.

The irony is, Gamestop bought Impulse in 2011 and really could have been a viable Steam competitor if they had invested heavily in it. I actually bought a game on Impulse (The Witcher) before I did on Steam (Torchlight). But they were still seeing so much money from the used game business that whatever voices they had saying a shift was coming were clearly ignored. It would have taken doing something like Epic has in order to really get a foothold; and they would have been in a much better position in 2011 than Epic was in late 2018. To me that's the most interesting "what might have been" in the PC digital gaming space, up there with the long rumored "Valve and MIcrosoft are going to merge and Gabe will become CEO."
My favorite what ifs on old failed businesses are if Toys R Us and Blockbuster went different routes when change was happening and they still had money. I believe both TRU and Blockbuster had hundreds of millions left over when the competitors that ultimately put them out of business (Amazon and Netflix) were starting to overtake them. Hell Netflix offered to be bought out by Blockbuster for $50 million, which is chump change compared to what they became.

My favorite what ifs on old failed businesses are if Toys R Us and Blockbuster went different routes when change was happening and they still had money. I believe both TRU and Blockbuster had hundreds of millions left over when the competitors that ultimately put them out of business (Amazon and Netflix) were starting to overtake them. Hell Netflix offered to be bought out by Blockbuster for $50 million, which is chump change compared to what they became.
My inclination on the Netflix/Blockbuster thing is that it would have gone similarly to Gamestop/Impulse in that the brick and mortar stalwarts wouldn't have allowed it to be developed like it ended up being and some competitor would have ended up winning out instead.

And never forget, in spite of the easy to believe narrative, TRU (and plenty of others) didn't die because of competition, they died because of a leveraged buyout, which shouldn't be legal. Plus the biggest thing that hurt TRU and Bestbuy (and most pre-1995 retail chains) was Walmart, far more than Amazon.

It has the new expansion that comes out in 2024.
I had to dig through articles to finally get an answer to what all this nonsense is about: so what deluxe includes is a PRE-ORDER for the expansion which isn't made clear anywhere on the store pages or listings for the game. JFC how misleading.

Gamestop stays in business for one reason. There are a lot of people who would rather trade their stuff in to them instead of dealing with the absolute idiots on offerup asking if you'll trade a $500 console for their dads old speakers.
I've had all kinds of stupid offers but the worst one was when someone asked me if they could have the PlayStation 5 for free.

Looks like Gamestop is doing some unannounced trade promo. Traded in a PS4 and a PS5 game preordered Lords of the Fallen expecting 30% bonus but instead got $5 bonus trade plus 10% bonus from Pro off the base value for each title. Not sure of any other specifics.

Looks like Gamestop is doing some unannounced trade promo. Traded in a PS4 and a PS5 game preordered Lords of the Fallen expecting 30% bonus but instead got $5 bonus trade plus 10% bonus from Pro off the base value for each title. Not sure of any other specifics.
Assuming the base value either needs to be $5 or $10 and if no minimum we will crush it. Issue is most stores refuse to take games that aren't worth $1 or more.

I was just about to bring that up. Turned a $40 pawnshop haul into around $260. Caught me way of guard.

What's this deal? Trade in any game worth $5 or more, get extra $5 if you preorder CoD?
someone else preordered lords of the fallen and also got the $5 extra, so it is either any preorder gets an extra $5 on any game or not dependent on a preorder at all.

Just checking in after a long while. Glad to see there's still a few promos that people are having luck on.

I think when my Pro expires next month that might be it. Costs 25 bucks now, points can't be used for PSN anymore, and who knows when they will stop letting the monthly coupons work on PSN/Digital. It stops looking good once you factor everything in. Still very glad for all I've made off this company in the past few years.

Matt has been predicting gamestop's demise and all digital for years now. I'm sure he will brag and say 'I told ya so' when it comes to pass in 2123.
I'll readily acknowledge that GS isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The company still has a lot of cash and ways to pay its bills for years to come. All I'm saying is that its revenue model of living off used game sales isn't going to keep it in business.

Presuming the company has smart accountants and a decently competent board, it'll string itself out like Blockbuster, Radio Shack, and Circuit City. Blockbuster of course offers a good analogy -- a company that once was on top of its industry, failed to innovate, and then found itself with nowhere to go as the movie companies made VHS/DVDs cheaper and cheaper for the masses.

And let me be clear - I've never said I've wanted GS to go away. I'd be happy to see it find a way to stay in business. I'm not exactly sure, though, how it does that when publishers are increasingly not making the products GS needs to survive. What happens when the next Xbox and PS6 go all digital (heck, it looks like the next PS5 re-design will be without a disc drive)?

I have no idea - but I have very fun memories of buying used games at Funcoland, EB Games, and then GS. May be they'll hit gold and find a way to stay in this stiff retail video game market ... but I think we can all agree that the trajectory of used games is not on GS' side.

someone else preordered lords of the fallen and also got the $5 extra, so it is either any preorder gets an extra $5 on any game or not dependent on a preorder at all.
It is preorder dependent, it's replaced the 20% bonus for the selected preorders. Now you get $5 bonus on any title of $5 tiv or more instead of the bonus percentage. Great for lower value, not great on higher value.

I think it’s most likely “get a $5 boost on any game trades in with a minimum value of $5”. They’ve done that in the past

This may be a dumb question, but when you trade in towards the PS5 for the bonus, do you have to buy the PS5 in that transaction?

Also, got a couple of really nice Vita games complete today.

This may be a dumb question, but when you trade in towards the PS5 for the bonus, do you have to buy the PS5 in that transaction?

Also, got a couple of really nice Vita games complete today.
Yes. The bonus doesn't trigger until the PS5 is scanned in on that transaction.

I can only find the older banner for the extra 20% towards certain preorders, nothing mentioned anywhere on the GS website about the extra $5 towards trades.

I have a few games around $5 value but also have one that is $35 base trade in, so it would be nice to know which of these is in effect (both would be awesome).

If anyone can please confirm, it would be most appreciated.  I don't trust calling them to get accurate info, this thread is usually more accurate than GS employees on the phone, lol.

bread's done
Back