The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I'm always surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit already regarding Gamestop selling opened new games as new.

Especially in our litigious country.

Last edited by a moderator:
holy shit, i bought 2 games and got 2 definitely new sealed no stickers on it game, but i dont like knowing i got lucky. new means new, not "like new". i've seen other people in this situation on other message boards
That doesn't even qualify as like new. Those are acceptable condition at best given none of them had their original cases let alone cover art and 2 were in generic garbage gs cases.

Surprises me to see people in this thread continue to gamble with "GameStop New" games.
  • 4 accounts with varying levels of points that have been sitting there for years, dating back to when trades actually could bank you a ton of points - all 4 have Pro on them but expire around November so I'd be in a situation where they'd all lose their points pretty quickly after 12/1
  • Local stores with maybe 10-15 new games in stock at a time, and that's being generous. They all ran out of the PS4/PS5 "back to school sale" games within a week. MLB 23 was unavailable within 50 miles of me :whistle2:|. My stores are so barren that it's a chore to find 4 games in the 4 for $10/$20/$40 sales.
  • Not being able to use points in 1 big purchase (say for a console) means I have to use them on sales like this. I haven't even started liquidating points from my main account.
  • The $79 shipping threshold means almost every order I put in was 4 games minimum. I think I wanted 8 games at most, but they were all different price tiers, so had to find matching $ amounts to trigger the B1G1, and then, in most cases, get up to 4 in an order to trigger free shipping.

Sorry if this has been answered. But with the $5 extra promo….do you 10% pro and $5 extra? Or just $5 on top of the base value

Some bozo tried to deny my online order return saying I needed a receipt from that store to return. Eventually admitted he just didn’t know how to process an online return and was blowing smoke up my ass. Made him call his manager to walk him through it. Thankfully he didn’t realize two of the games were b1g1 so I got an extra $60 back making the whole ordeal worth it.

Upcoming trade promos for you all

(PROS ONLY) : $25 extra trade credit - PS5,
XBX, Switch consoles (8.27 – 9.9)

(PROS ONLY) Trade More Get More PO SW
& PO Controllers: 2/10%, 4/20%, 6+/30%
(8.27-9.9)

Trades: 20% extra credit for any controller trade
(9.3-9.16)

Power Trade: Starfield, NBA 2K24, Mortal Kombat 1, Forza Motorsport, Assassin's Creed Mirage, Super Mario Wonder, Spider- Man 2 (8.27 – 9.30)

(8.27-9.9)

(9.3-9.16)

Power Trade: Starfield, NBA 2K24, Mortal Kombat 1, Forza Motorsport, Assassin's Creed Mirage, Super Mario Wonder, Spider- Man 2 (8.27 – 9.30)
Thanks for the heads-up. I guess we should assume the "hidden" $5 bonus promo ends on Saturday (8/26).

(8.27-9.9)

(9.3-9.16)

Would base values go up or down next week in everybody's opinion?

(8.27-9.9)

(9.3-9.16)

what does "PO" mean again? been a minute

and whats a power trade?

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess we should assume the "hidden" $5 bonus promo ends on Saturday (8/26).
I believe when I saw the memo, it did say it ends on 8/26 at closing.

It was also emphasized prior that the $5 bonus promo towards pre order should not be stacking with any other trade deals, so if it does get extended it’s going to be one or the other unless there is a glitch.

Would base values go up or down next week in everybody's opinion?
Probably a little bit of both along with values staying the same.

There was trade bump on select games weekend recently. Usually it’s called a “Most Wanted Trade” email campaign (where people get emails about their games trade value), but I saw no mention of an upcoming one that is in the same time frame as this upcoming pro member trade bonus.

Some bozo tried to deny my online order return saying I needed a receipt from that store to return. Eventually admitted he just didn’t know how to process an online return and was blowing smoke up my ass. Made him call his manager to walk him through it. Thankfully he didn’t realize two of the games were b1g1 so I got an extra $60 back making the whole ordeal worth it.
And this is why I don't bother with trying to do returns in-store. Something that 99% of retailers can do no problem is like curing cancer for Gamestop.

Had not 1 but 2 chatty Cathy's asking me about the 2 games I was trying to trade in and had to pull teeth to get them to put $5 down on Fallen to trigger the extra $5 bonus.

Then one of them even scratched off the material that covers the pin on the trade in card (do they normally do that???) AND entered that info into their terminal.

Had not 1 but 2 chatty Cathy's asking me about the 2 games I was trying to trade in and had to pull teeth to get them to put $5 down on Fallen to trigger the extra $5 bonus.

Then one of them even scratched off the material that covers the pin on the trade in card (do they normally do that???) AND entered that info into their terminal.
Swiping the card on the terminal does not require the pin. I ALWAYS stop adding credit to a trade card once that pin is scratched. You need the pin for online and hand keyed purchases i.e. with the pin you can make a purchase without the card.

Just so you know, the free shipping threshold for any web in store order is $25 before sales tax. Basically just go to your local store and have them do an order through the website on their terminal.

• 4 accounts with varying levels of points that have been sitting there for years, dating back to when trades actually could bank you a ton of points - all 4 have Pro on them but expire around November so I'd be in a situation where they'd all lose their points pretty quickly after 12/1
  • Local stores with maybe 10-15 new games in stock at a time, and that's being generous. They all ran out of the PS4/PS5 "back to school sale" games within a week. MLB 23 was unavailable within 50 miles of me :whistle2:|. My stores are so barren that it's a chore to find 4 games in the 4 for $10/$20/$40 sales.
  • Not being able to use points in 1 big purchase (say for a console) means I have to use them on sales like this. I haven't even started liquidating points from my main account.
  • The $79 shipping threshold means almost every order I put in was 4 games minimum. I think I wanted 8 games at most, but they were all different price tiers, so had to find matching $ amounts to trigger the B1G1, and then, in most cases, get up to 4 in an order to trigger free shipping.

The $5 bonus did not work for God of War PS4 and Far Cry 6 Xbox for me. It worked on the other games I traded in but not those two games. Not sure what the requirements are to qualify for the $5 bonus. I'll probably trade them in with a few controllers next week. How likely are the 20% extra for controller bonus stacks with trade more get more?

The $5 bonus did not work for God of War PS4 and Far Cry 6 Xbox for me. It worked on the other games I traded in but not those two games. Not sure what the requirements are to qualify for the $5 bonus. I'll probably trade them in with a few controllers next week. How likely are the 20% extra for controller bonus stacks with trade more get more?
The $5 bonus is likely coded onto games of 5.00+ base value as of xx date and ignores games that were below 5.00 base. Far Cry 6 for xbx was 2.50 base less than 2 weeks ago. GoW was 3.00 base.

I've been trying to place orders on GameStop.com today. Keep getting this error:

"We're sorry that your order could not be placed. This probably happened due to a high order volume or temporary connection errors. Please wait a few minutes and resubmit your order. We won't process your payment until you successfully place your order. If you have further questions, please contact us."

I tried making another account with a new email and got another error. "Oops! We can't process your payment...."

I googled and people say this may mean your account was banned. But I haven't done anything weird on there. I returned one game back in early June. I don't trade things in there. I maybe return one game per year, but nothing crazy.

I still have orders there in my order history. I called their support line and the guy told me my account looked fine. So I don't know. Any idea on what I should do?

(8.27-9.9)
Since their wording is usually intentionally obtuse, I'm going to guess the 30% boost is total percent and not additional to regular pro 10%? So essentially the same as trading towards a preorder?

I've been trying to place orders on GameStop.com today. Keep getting this error:

"We're sorry that your order could not be placed. This probably happened due to a high order volume or temporary connection errors. Please wait a few minutes and resubmit your order. We won't process your payment until you successfully place your order. If you have further questions, please contact us."

I tried making another account with a new email and got another error. "Oops! We can't process your payment...."

I googled and people say this may mean your account was banned. But I haven't done anything weird on there. I returned one game back in early June. I don't trade things in there. I maybe return one game per year, but nothing crazy.

I still have orders there in my order history. I called their support line and the guy told me my account looked fine. So I don't know. Any idea on what I should do?
Have you tried clearing all of your web browser's Gamestop-related cookies, plus clear the cache? I was able to place a preorder for Persona 3 Reload a few minutes ago without trouble, and I think I had a similar problem to yours within the last year that either resolved itself or was fixed after I cleared the cookies.

Have you tried clearing all of your web browser's Gamestop-related cookies, plus clear the cache? I was able to place a preorder for Persona 3 Reload a few minutes ago without trouble, and I think I had a similar problem to yours within the last year that either resolved itself or was fixed after I cleared the cookies.
I tried using a different browser entirely, didn't work.

Edit: weird I was able to place an order on the app. But no confirmation email yet.

Since their wording is usually intentionally obtuse, I'm going to guess the 30% boost is total percent and not additional to regular pro 10%? So essentially the same as trading towards a preorder?
No--if the promo was for Pros only, then the 2/10% tier wouldn't make sense if it included the Pro bonus. I assume those percentages are before the Pro 10%, so you'd get 40% extra with 6+ games traded.

No--if the promo was for Pros only, then the 2/10% tier wouldn't make sense if it included the Pro bonus. I assume those percentages are before the Pro 10%, so you'd get 40% extra with 6+ games traded.
giphy.gif

True. My fault, my fault.

Probably a little bit of both along with values staying the same.

There was trade bump on select games weekend recently. Usually it’s called a “Most Wanted Trade” email campaign (where people get emails about their games trade value), but I saw no mention of an upcoming one that is in the same time frame as this upcoming pro member trade bonus.
Unfortunately Gamestop changed so much,it has to be found manually unless way around it I believe

they told me they wouldnt even take GOW straight up because they have so many or something. still a nice haul without it, so i'm happy.

Wouldn’t it just be 12.10 without a preorder?

I don’t have a preorder I want to put $5 against. Maybe if they’d announce a preorder bonus for the two Mario games coming up.
Just put $5 on Mario Wonder to get the boost and then move it later on if you don’t like the preorder bonus.

I traded in a few games today that got the bonus when applying towards an existing preoder. The only game that had an issue was Akiba's Trip for PS4. The website shows $6.60 trade credit but their system only gives $4.40. 

What was the rule on trading in multiples of the same game over a rolling period? I seem to remember people getting banned for trading in two many times over the course of a month or so.

bread's done
Back