The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Mario 3D All Stars trades for $40 base. I keep hanging on to my copy thinking it will shoot up in value as a collectors item but it never does. There's probably too many copies of it out there for it to increase much in value.

If you do cash, I think it's 500 limit. Also, if you trade 2 of the same consoles, you get soft banned, too.
I never do cash. And I did technically do 2 of the same console on separate trades so that must have done it. I blame GS for offering to give me $100 for a VCR Xbox One.

Mario 3D All Stars trades for $40 base. I keep hanging on to my copy thinking it will shoot up in value as a collectors item but it never does. There's probably too many copies of it out there for it to increase much in value.
I had a few that I just put aside when they were new and ended up giving 2 to GS that got $56 after bonuses, and put the last one on Ebay and it got $80. Even with how many are out there, GS almost never has it in stock.

If you decide to sell it, message me first with your price please.

Demand will drive the value not supply

The demand for this game as a physical will inevitably overwhelm whatever supply Nintendo put out there

banner on the site shows the trade 6 promo at the 40% boost for pros

also says games or controllers

Last edited by a moderator:
I see they dropped the trade values of the Series S and PS5 ahead of the PRO trade boost that might start tomorrow. Classic
Don't trade the Series S for anything under $200 because the value was $192.50 w/Pro before the drop.
5.jpg

You end up losing $2.50 with this promo since they dropped the TIV. No deal.

I wouldn't be so sure the TIV will go back  where it was after this promo is over though. last time they had a promo like this the value stayed low for quite a while afterwards, and by the time this one is over the black series S will be out.

For the trade more promo, is there a minimum value a game has to be?  I have 4 decent value games and a couple that are only $2 that I would trade in if I knew it would trigger the 40%.  

For the trade more promo, is there a minimum value a game has to be? I have 4 decent value games and a couple that are only $2 that I would trade in if I knew it would trigger the 40%.
We won't know until someone tries, but the threshold has always been either $2 or $5; based on the $5 promo which just ended, I'd assume the latter but you can't really assume anything with GameStop.

I don't think there has been a minimum value with these trade more deals in the past. The $5 extra has a minimum just because it would be such a large bonus for really low value games. in this promo a $1 game would only get 40 cents extra. it would be nice if they spelled it out for sure though because to get the max bonus you have to trade in groups of 6 games, if 1 doesn't qualify for whatever reason you get knocked down to 30% for the other 5 games.

edit: actually, it says 6+ on the promo, so i wonder if that is different from past promos and you just have to trade in more than 6 games instead of groups of 6.

Is GameStop accepting PS3 controllers? I don’t see a listing on their website. I have a few standard black, fully tested, I’d like to unload during the trade boost.

Has anyone tried to see if the trade 6+, get 40% extra stacks with the 20% extra for preordering Spiderman2, Mario Wonder, etc? Would love to get 60-70% extra.

I wouldn't be so sure the TIV will go back where it was after this promo is over though. last time they had a promo like this the value stayed low for quite a while afterwards, and by the time this one is over the black series S will be out.
I am holding out to see if they do a promo for trading the white Series S for the black one, maybe if they don’t sell well.

Sounds like the employee just rang the game up without going into your account to “redeem” the preorder, or their system goofed up & didn’t print the code on your receipt. I’ve heard of that happening many times early on a release day, last time being AEW release date.
I pre-ordered Starfield but there wasn’t a code on the receipt. Should I go back to GameStop to ensure they redeemed the pre-order for me?

Can you trade retro games to any GS and would they count towards the 40% bonus?
i traded a vita game and it qualified for the 40%, also i traded in 10 games and they all got the 40% extra. lowest value one i tried was $2.

also, anybody else getting taxed on trade credit now? not sure if it is a change in Missouri, KC or a gamestop change. really devalues gamestop credit though.

i traded a vita game and it qualified for the 40%, also i traded in 10 games and they all got the 40% extra. lowest value one i tried was $2.

also, anybody else getting taxed on trade credit now? not sure if it is a change in Missouri, KC or a gamestop change. really devalues gamestop credit though.
Might be a state change, it’s usually taxed on a state by state basis. Not taxed in NYC as of yesterday.
Also - $5 bump is officially gone and now replaced by the tiered/40% extra right ?

$5 promo still up! I put it towards MK1 and as many have highlighted, minimum $5 TIV for it to bonus to activate. Had I known I would've bought more lesser dollar valued games to trade since my stack got the $5 promo and then the others got 20% :(

$5 promo still up! I put it towards MK1 and as many have highlighted, minimum $5 TIV for it to bonus to activate. Had I known I would've bought more lesser dollar valued games to trade since my stack got the $5 promo and then the others got 20% :(
What games did you trade that got the $5 bonus? If it’s still live, it seems the $5 promo would override the “standard” 20% Power Trade promo for anything with a $5+ TIV.

What games did you trade that got the $5 bonus? If it’s still live, it seems the $5 promo would override the “standard” 20% Power Trade promo for anything with a $5+ TIV.
Tales of Arise PS5

Saints row the 3rd PS4

Kena PS5

R&C Rift Apart PS5

Gang Beasts PS4

Those all got the $5, I also had 2 joycons and Life is strange PS5, those only got the extra 10% since I didn't have 4 or 6 in total. Originally I did that and was going to walk away with my extra 40%, the guy said lemme check if theres a better active trade promo, and applied MK1. Saw the extra 10-12 bucks and I said sure I'll take it!

Tales of Arise PS5
Saints row the 3rd PS4
Kena PS5
R&C Rift Apart PS5
Gang Beasts PS4

Those all got the $5, I also had 2 joycons and Life is strange PS5, those only got the extra 10% since I didn't have 4 or 6 in total. Originally I did that and was going to walk away with my extra 40%, the guy said lemme check if theres a better active trade promo, and applied MK1. Saw the extra 10-12 bucks and I said sure I'll take it!
Thanks for the detailed explanation—if you don’t mind, could you post the amounts you got for each?

Thanks for the detailed explanation—if you don’t mind, could you post the amounts you got for each?
Tales of Arise PS5 - 12.70

Saints row the 3rd PS4 - 10.50

Kena PS5 - 12.70

R&C Rift Apart PS5 - 19.30

Gang Beasts PS4 - 14.90

LIF:TC PS5 - 3.60

Joycons - 18 each

I am unable to purchase anything from GameStop.com using my main account. I kept getting an "Oops! We can't process your payment" error. It's been like this for the past month or so. However, I tried it with my girlfriend's account and I was able to make the purchase.

Is my account banned? The only thing I can think of that might trigger this is I bought 2 games with the Buy 1 Get 1. Then went to the store to return them since they were opened. The guy ended up giving me full credit for both games even though I told him they were part of the buy 1 get 1 free.

Is it still any preorder that triggers it? Because I traded in 6 games, put in a new preorder (not one of the 20 boost ones) and the $5 didn’t override anything. all got the 30 +10.
Did your games have a $5 or more TIV? I traded in 4 games earlier and said I wanted to preorder Spider-Man 2 and I got the bonus on all 4 games (all 4 games had base values of $5-$7)

Definitely going to try this at a diff GS than usual tomorrow:

Combination of 6 games with $5 TIV (mainly in the $5-10 range)

Small deposit towards a pre-order, I'll try to pick something that won't hurt this store if they get an extra copy, like COD or one of the Mario games

I have a giant pile of loose 3DS games so I should be able to trigger both bonuses tomorrow. If I can get $20 for a bunch of old XB1 & PS4 controllers, even better.

Definitely going to try this at a diff GS than usual tomorrow:

Combination of 6 games with <$5 TIV and controllers
Other random games with >$5 TIV (mainly in the $5-10 range)
Small deposit towards a pre-order, I'll try to pick something that won't hurt this store if they get an extra copy, like COD or one of the Mario games

I have a giant pile of loose 3DS games so I should be able to trigger both bonuses tomorrow. If I can get $20 for a bunch of old XB1 & PS4 controllers, even better.
Yeah I got $21 for an Xbox one controller today

bread's done
Back