The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Speaking of the 360 marketplace shutting down. Does anyone have a good site with a list of what's only available on the marketplace and nowhere else?
CAG member Bloomy posted a list of those Xbox 360 games on the first page of the Xbox Live deals thread. I can't link directly to the post, but just scroll down far enough, and you'll find it. He even added descriptions regarding the DLCs and associated achievements.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/371393-xbl-deals-dwg-assassins-creed-watch-dogs-more-golden-week-star-wars-gwg-truck-racing-champ-armello-lego-batman/page-1

As for deals on those games, I know that the non-backwards compatible 360 game Dust: An Elysian Tail is on sale on the 360 store for $4.94 this week, but most of the non-backwards compatible games haven't received discounts in a very long while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to assume that the Series X trade in is getting extended? No stores have the console in stock and it's not available for purchase online now either.

Going to assume that the Series X trade in is getting extended? No stores have the console in stock and it's not available for purchase online now either.
I think I have some insight on why stores do not have series x consoles. 2 stores i went today showed they had 1 in stock but it wasn't there. I ended up just trading towards the diablo bundle and im going to hold on to it and return it to get a regular console if they ever get them. even the diablo console they showed they had 5 in stock, but only had 4, and online shows they only have 2...

but anyway, if this is a common problem i can see gamestop not sending more consoles to stores if it shows they haven't sold a console that has been sitting there for months (but doesn't actually exist)

also, the clerk really hooked me up on my trade in, once i told them i was buying a series x, they told me if i preordered a game i would get a 30% bonus (on the series s i was trading in), and that i didnt even have to pick it up! so they put a penny on modern warfare 3? and low and behold nothing happened, but when they rang up the series x the $50 bonus showed up and they took credit for it. I just had to laugh at that when i walked out of the store.

Does GameStop still sell Apple cards? They are no longer on the website, at least as far as I can find. If so, can trade in credit still be used to purchase Apple cards?

extra $50 toward series x is still going on, new deal 20% extra trade in value for controllers, also the previously mentioned trade 2, get $50 trade in has started, a few interesting games in there like sparks of hope, bad part is wording sounds like you have to buy a game and not just preorder something.

I had a recent purchase arrive on Saturday from the b1g2 promotion that was missing an item. The packing slip included it, but it wasn't in the box. Has anyone else had this issue? Guessing my best bet is to call on Monday

I had a recent purchase arrive on Saturday from the b1g2 promotion that was missing an item. The packing slip included it, but it wasn't in the box. Has anyone else had this issue? Guessing my best bet is to call on Monday
Had this issue happen more than once my friend. Even with brand new games. I would suggest just going into the store. A lot of times customer service will give you the run around.

extra $50 toward series x is still going on, new deal 20% extra trade in value for controllers, also the previously mentioned trade 2, get $50 trade in has started, a few interesting games in there like sparks of hope, bad part is wording sounds like you have to buy a game and not just preorder something.
https://www.gamestop.com/trade2 - link to the list for those interested

xbox has devalued physical games on their platform. Can’t sell what there isn’t demand for
and customers have devalued paying full price to own any kind of Xbox games.

Guess where it goes from here in regards to future game development, publishing, and studios' desire to have MS as their main partner?

I have the PS5 version of Miles Morales and the PS4 version of Elden Ring haha. If they were reversed, I could have traded towards a new game. Oh well.

Has anyone heard of another round of layoffs/store closings? I went to my local store and overheard an employee being trained that they need to get their numbers up or the store could be closed. I'd be pretty annoyed if my regular store is on the chopping block. I can't say I'm completely surprised since whenever I went there on weekdays, sometimes I was the only customer there.

and customers have devalued paying full price to own any kind of Xbox games.

Guess where it goes from here in regards to future game development, publishing, and studios' desire to have MS as their main partner?
Don't need partners for development or publishing if you just outright buy them. (Zenimax, Activision Blizzard, etc, etc...)

That said, the number of developers or publisher that I would trust enough to pay full retail for any of their products is pretty low. Never mind the humiliation conga that was Square Enix past year or so of releases.

With the exception of Final Fantasy XVI, almost every game they've made in the past year has been Buy 1, Get 1 Free for the entire summer, and they're still not selling. Sadly, it's not just Square Enix seeing this.

Has anyone heard of another round of layoffs/store closings? I went to my local store and overheard an employee being trained that they need to get their numbers up or the store could be closed. I'd be pretty annoyed if my regular store is on the chopping block. I can't say I'm completely surprised since whenever I went there on weekdays, sometimes I was the only customer there.
I feel like maybe it’s best for they’re mental health if they shut down, GameStop is like modern days slavery for the employees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't need partners for development or publishing if you just outright buy them. (Zenimax, Activision Blizzard, etc, etc...)
Yeah, that's my point; Microsoft needed to buy them.

Gamepass is good for low-volume, burgeoning developers. It gets them great exposure. It pays the bills and it makes their business profitable. But it also puts a ceiling on what big-budget studios can do in terms of sales revenue and volume. It's generally not a thing big pubs should go for.

Just like how Christopher Nolan didn't want movies going straight to Netflix / streaming during the (2020+) pandemic era. That devalues high-end products and IPs. Nobody has felt that harder than Disney, and with Disney+. As it turns out, spending $200-$400mil+ on development costs every time is not a sustainable business model!

No but, I recently went to the gamestop at the baybrook mall here in texas. They don’t even have games on the wall anymore. They moved all the games to metal shelves in the middle of the store and everything on the wall is plushies/trading cards. I’m assuming they’re more then likely going to close down soon as to there is another gamestop down the street from there and 2 others in a 20 mile distance.

Had this issue happen more than once my friend. Even with brand new games. I would suggest just going into the store. A lot of times customer service will give you the run around.
Happy to report that GS is mailing me out a gift card for the amount of the missing item. Just received email confirmation. Not too bad of an experience thankfully (aside from the not shipping the item I ordered issue)

Is the monthly $5 still usable on digital currency? I thought Gamestop got rid of that, but sounds like people in the thread are still getting it?

Does the trade 2 get $50 credit towards a new game work for preorders?

Dropping in to say say fuck GameStop, I ordered a big statue from the current sale and they sent me 10 boxes of socks. Never ending trash from the company.

I "emailed" their support page about an hour ago. I looked through the box better and there was the shipping info of the real order inside, gave them all the info. Hopefully they just send me my correct item and I don't have to do anything else.

Dropping in to say say fuck GameStop, I ordered a big statue from the current sale and they sent me 10 boxes of socks. Never ending trash from the company.
Ahahahaha. Learned your lesson didn't you? The best part is it is equally likely incompetent employees as it is employees not wanting to take the hit for being unable to fulfill an order.

I ordered a game from them once, got the game but it came in a long, skinny 4 ft box. There was a plastic Halloween Conan the barbarian sword with it. Never ordered that or anything even close to it. Best I could tell it wasn’t even an item they had on the website.

I ordered a game from them once, got the game but it came in a long, skinny 4 ft box. There was a plastic Halloween Conan the barbarian sword with it. Never ordered that or anything even close to it. Best I could tell it wasn’t even an item they had on the website.
they sell halloween crap so it doesn't sound too strange

Ahahahaha. Learned your lesson didn't you? The best part is it is equally likely incompetent employees as it is employees not wanting to take the hit for being unable to fulfill an order.
Yeah, I try not to shop there much anymore but it was a relatively new item for $30 off and free shipping. Judging by the box I do think it was a mix up due when packaging, but my experience in that front was TRU backroom, not whatever wearhouse or store situation this was.

They did at least respond to my email fairly fast. I have to return the junk to a store then my item will be sent.

Definitely a couple notches higher on the avoid list now.

Hopefully final update. They totally could not run the return like the customer service outlined. They ended up "returning" the items I was sent, rebuying the correct item online again with that credit, and then giving me the positive difference on a gift card.

Hopefully they don't fuck up the order a second time, manager said he'll just refund the item to my payment method if there is another issue.

Hopefully final update. They totally could not run the return like the customer service outlined. They ended up "returning" the items I was sent, rebuying the correct item online again with that credit, and then giving me the positive difference on a gift card.

Hopefully they don't fuck up the order a second time, manager said he'll just refund the item to my payment method if there is another issue.
Phone(maybe email too)CS is outsourced and a lot of the time says literally anything to get you off the line. Gamestop is really a bag of shit these days.

So I have $26 in trade In credit and need more storage on my XSX, using that on the 1TB $150 drive to bring it closer to $130 after tax is probably the best deal we get for a year or so right?

So I have $26 in trade In credit and need more storage on my XSX, using that on the 1TB $150 drive to bring it closer to $130 after tax is probably the best deal we get for a year or so right?
Picked up 2TB Seagate today from BB after got my $75 in certs from BB card. They had it for $279 now, had $150 in RZ certs, the only benefit from that credit card anymore, but I will take it.

bread's done
Back