The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
before December - Do your points expire when your membership lapses? My membership expires at the end of next month and I won't be renewing.

If they don't, I might try to hang onto my points for Black Friday deals.
Use them before, coupons rarely stack with the major markdowns on sales like BF at GS

Gift Cards and trade credit can no longer be used to buy gift cards (non PS/Xbox/Nintendo) it seems. There is a message excluding the payment option during checkout. I tried last night in store and payment wasn’t accepted either when I was buying it along with $10 PS4 card. Truly an end to the good times.
Prior to today we were able to buy random gift cards with trade credit? All this time I thought it was only Psn/Xbox/Nintendo/steam

Prior to today we were able to buy random gift cards with trade credit? All this time I thought it was only Psn/Xbox/Nintendo/steam
If I remember correctly you were able to buy kindle Amazon cards once upon a time. and people used that to move credit around between bestbuy- Amazon Walmart and gs I think.

I'm still confused about the points expiration situation.

I thought points never expired as long as you made a purchase once a year/were a PUR Pro member.

Is that changed now? Do they just expire in a year regardless of how often you make purchases/if you're subscribed?

I'm still confused about the points expiration situation.

I thought points never expired as long as you made a purchase once a year/were a PUR Pro member.

Is that changed now? Do they just expire in a year regardless of how often you make purchases/if you're subscribed?
Starting Dec 1, 2023, ALL points will expire 1 year after earning, doesn't matter activity. They will also expire as soon as your membership expires Pro.

Trade credit can still be used. As well as the monthly 5 dollar ones.
Only in store, not online.

Starting Dec 1, 2023, ALL points will expire 1 year after earning, doesn't matter activity. They will also expire as soon as your membership expires Pro.

Only in store, not online.
And it's only a matter of time before they take that away from us again

So wild there are places like this. ALL the gamestops in my area act really offended when I ask if they have any retro games (pre ps3/360 era). They all immediately reply “no we have to send them into the warehouse we are not allowed to sell them, I couldn’t sell it to you even if I had it” blah blah blah.
Yeah, that's what I get too.

But then there are a couple stores where the managers do whatever they want, and merchandise a small little display case section of retro games behind some glass. In any case, one of them brags about getting entire console retro finds all the time for himself, so you know you're not finding anything but leftovers anyways. It's weird when he talks about meeting someone outside store hours just bc they want to get rid of all their stuff, and weird how every once in awhile someone comes along and has no idea about the value of their stuff and doesn't care.

In fact, just this spring I was at GS and some early 20's girls couple came in with a tub with 6 complete-in-box N64 games including Zelda OOT and Mario 64. I had a standing offer to buy the console + several games from them for $75. But then when I went to go to the cash machine, and came back quickly, they were just getting in their car and leaving bc the guy behind the counter told them they could get way more money at another source. I missed out on a massive haul just bc I didn't have money in my wallet...

The point is...these people show up every once in awhile. With their complete set of old Nintendo games from the family. Often young people moving, going to college, getting boxes out of their parents house, and just want some quick and easy cash. It happens every now and then. Parents selling their kids stuff for whatever amount too.

Last edited by a moderator:

But then there are a couple stores where the managers do whatever they want, and merchandise a small little display case section of retro games behind some glass. In any case, one of them brags about getting entire console retro finds all the time for himself, so you know you're not finding anything but leftovers anyways. It's weird when he talks about meeting someone outside store hours just bc they want to get rid of all their stuff, and weird how every once in awhile someone comes along and has no idea about the value of their stuff and doesn't care.

In fact, just this spring I was at GS and some early 20's girls couple came in with a tub including 6 complete-in-box N64 games including Zelda OOT and Mario 64. I had a standing offer to buy the console + several games from them for $75. But then when I went to go to the cash machine, and came back quickly, they were just getting in their car and leaving bc the guy behind the counter told them they could get way more money at another source. I missed out on a massive haul just bc I didn't have money in my wallet...

The point is...these people show up every once in awhile. With their complete set of old Nintendo games from the family. Often young people moving, going to college, getting boxes out of their parents house, and just want some quick and easy cash. It happens every now and then. Parents selling their kids stuff for whatever amount too.
As a seller's advice you should always carry $400-600 on you at all times if you can afford it. I've got deals before people even walked into the GameStop

Ordered infamous second son PS4 for $5 with store pickup since I’m new to PS5. Gotta use the September monthly $5 online and this way I can go pick it up tomorrow and also use my October $5 in store on something else.

As a seller's advice you should always carry $400-600 on you at all times if you can afford it. I've got deals before people even walked into the GameStop
During the GameCube, PS2, and original Xbox era, I would often stop people in the parking lot before going into GameStop if I saw them about to carry in a haul. Got a lot of good stuff that way. But I also had money coming in larger and faster back then too.

In fact, just this spring I was at GS and some early 20's girls couple came in with a tub including 6 complete-in-box N64 games including Zelda OOT and Mario 64. I had a standing offer to buy the console + several games from them for $75. But then when I went to go to the cash machine, and came back quickly, they were just getting in their car and leaving bc the guy behind the counter told them they could get way more money at another source. I missed out on a massive haul just bc I didn't have money in my wallet...

Win some,lose some but at end of day more deals will come about.

The parent trading in their college age kids games doesn't know or have either of those, so cash helps in those moments.
Lol, I’m 4 years away from having a college aged kid. And I am on the older side for that (didn’t have kids until my 30’s) so I really don’t know if this holds true anymore.

Win some,lose some but at end of day more deals will come about.
always look at the used gaming accessories, once in a blue moon I get a halo elite controller for $99 or a set of smash bros joy cons, these are worth more than the GameStop used pricing, I always just see what they have!

I have the worst luck. I was first in line when GS opened. I went in to trade in my Xbox series S for $212.50 credit and the guy behind me literally bought the series S I trade in. GS made $55 in seconds doing nothing. I shoulda asked him to make an offer. I brought in the box and everything.

I have the worst luck. I was first in line when GS opened. I went in to trade in my Xbox series S for $212.50 credit and the guy behind me literally bought the series S I trade in. GS made $55 in seconds doing nothing. I shoulda asked him to make an offer. I brought in the box and everything.
That's okay. Store has got to make theirs.

Gamestop pays several thousand dollars in rent every month in order to have that kind of ability.

Don't feel bad about it. You only randomly encountered that guy because of their paid retail location. You sold your old console and got good money for it. That's a win.

Whatever he offered you would have been significantly less that what he was willing to spend at the store anyways.  People see other people and behave as if they are trying to take advantage of them.  They enact garage sale behavior, and need to get a better cash deal.  He'd pay less to you than what a person considers 'a legitimate storefront'.   That's just the human nature of people.

It's also poor etiquette to interrupt a store in the middle of a buying transaction, or to take other offers.  The employee working there would ask himself "why am I wasting my time on you then?"  That customer would have lowballed you (most people are paying on credit anyways) and the store employee could have asked you to leave. Then you'd have gotten nothing.

I might be blind but how do I use my monthly $5 from Pro? They "gave" me an account during that shipping mixup. I only see the 10000 rewards points, no coupon or anything.

Currently, it lasts through 10/7.
Thank you. I was able to find some complete 360 games on the four for $20 the last time that I went to GameStop, and I'm hoping to find some more.

Cars: Race-O-Rama - 360

Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon - 360

Sega and Sonic All-Stars Racing - 360

Tales of Vesperia: Remastered - Xbox One

Has anyone tried trading a system toward a new Series X lately? If so, did they still give you that +$50 bonus toward Series X, or did you just get the new, general +$20 system bonus?

Can a Powerup rewards coupon (i.e. $5 off) be stacked with the 4 for $10 deal? I know the monthly coupon cannot.
I just used the monthly $5 Pro coupon on the 4/$20 a few days ago, I'd say it works.

Edit: Of course, I also bought some clearance $5 shirts which is what the coupon appears to have been applied to. I see no reason why they wouldn't allow it though. I'd say give it a shot.

Got the $212 in credit for my Series S a couple days ago. My sons haven't touched their Switch Lite's in a while (usually only on vacation). Does the extra $20 apply to the Lites as well? Might offload both for $97 if so.
If the promo is active tomorrow, it should be $97. I was there today (Saturday) and the switch lite rang up at $97.

Trade credit can still be used. As well as the monthly 5 dollar ones.
I can verify this. I purchased a $20 Steam Wallet eCard in store today. Applied my monthly $5, then used $15 trade credit for the rest. Certificates purchased with points will not work.

I remember there was something about tax on trade credit a while back on this thread. Is it true that you get taxed paying with trade credit now or is it just specific states?

Can a Powerup rewards coupon (i.e. $5 off) be stacked with the 4 for $10 deal? I know the monthly coupon cannot.
It will stack, but you won't get the full $5 off. Assuming that all 4 games are $5 each, the promo will adjust them down to $2.50. Then the coupon will apply to 1 item and take $2.50 off. You end up paying $7.50

I can verify this. I purchased a $20 Steam Wallet eCard in store today. Applied my monthly $5, then used $15 trade credit for the rest. Certificates purchased with points will not work.

I remember there was something about tax on trade credit a while back on this thread. Is it true that you get taxed paying with trade credit now or is it just specific states?
I can tell you, in Missouri, you now get taxed on trade credit. I don't know what caused the change but I have been charged tax the last 3 times I bought something with trade credit.

Question.. I went to their deals page and it has a deal for Buy one Get One... Does anyone know how to get this deal? Do I have to add two brand new games or can they be used?

It's everywhere now

My wife once took her PS4 to trade in but because she had wiped the console they claimed their internet was impossibly slow and couldn't test it, so they refused the trade. Guy behind us said he'd buy it and handed her cash. We both laughed at that store and never went back.

My Pro membership expires middle of this month and I’m excited to finally be done with GS. I want to use my points to get a $10 online cert and use it on a $20 new game. If I throw in some silly Funko pops to get to the $80 free shipping minimum, can I return the Funkos to a store and keep the game for $10? Or will the value of the cert be spread across all items in the order?

My Pro membership expires middle of this month and I’m excited to finally be done with GS. I want to use my points to get a $10 online cert and use it on a $20 new game. If I throw in some silly Funko pops to get to the $80 free shipping minimum, can I return the Funkos to a store and keep the game for $10? Or will the value of the cert be spread across all items in the order?
Technically you will see the item's price get reduced in your cart/subtotal. The $10 will not get distributed unless it's multiple quantity of the same item.

Realistically, complete ymmv on what the store employee does with your return. Recent packing slips haven't been showing itemized prices anyway.

Apparently my membership did expire last month so I'm free! Got a whopping 3k points left and about $11 in trade credit. One final trip to the store for $15 Xbox spacebucks and I can't think of a single reason I'll ever be back. Maybe the odd console trade-in but damn, crazy to think about after all these years. Then again, the same happened with Best Buy for me so par for the course at this point.

Mine also expires this month. I've only got 4k points so I don't care if they expire. Just gotta find something for pickup to use my last monthly coupon on.

My membership expires November, unless we see a boost in trade values, I’m also not going to renew for the first time in a while. Hoping we get a boost in values around the holidays again.

It will stack, but you won't get the full $5 off. Assuming that all 4 games are $5 each, the promo will adjust them down to $2.50. Then the coupon will apply to 1 item and take $2.50 off. You end up paying $7.50
But it'll take $5 off for the 4 games for $20 deal, right?

bread's done
Back