The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
People should understand that "new" at GameStop just means it isn't a trade in.

However, I feel like the gutted game problem has gotten worse in recent years. I suspect this is do to the increase in usage of stores as fulfillment centers. Back in the day, when games mostly came from warehouses, there was no incentive to gut the games. Now most stuff is shipped directly from stores where usually at least one copy of each game is gutted for display.
It's worse now because it's common for stores to run out of even AAA games. I remember I got Elden Ring as a gutted game. A nationwide retailer shouldn't be running out of stock of games like that, to the point that they're down to the gutted title.

Also, no other retailer makes their stores their DCs, so there's that.

Ugh my order was split into 3 packages and 1 has been in "awaiting carrier pickup" status for a week.

I'm totally boned on that order aren;t I?

Anyone have experience with gamestop refunding an order with B2g1 items in it properly? I have a feeling they will try to screw me and Ill somehow end up paying way more for each item that I actually got. Unfortunately the missing box had a lot of the B2G1 items
I'm fighting with them because on a B1G1 free order, 3 of the 4 games were misaddressed, so they got returned to sender. GS refunded me for 1/2 the price, essentially making me pay full price for the last game. My argument is that it was their fault I only got 1, so they should do the right thing and only charge me half. I can't make USPS make an effort to fix a wrongly addressed package (I suspect the GS store that mailed it out covered the unit part of the address).

I'm fighting with them because on a B1G1 free order, 3 of the 4 games were misaddressed, so they got returned to sender. GS refunded me for 1/2 the price, essentially making me pay full price for the last game. My argument is that it was their fault I only got 1, so they should do the right thing and only charge me half. I can't make USPS make an effort to fix a wrongly addressed package (I suspect the GS store that mailed it out covered the unit part of the address).
Ugh yes this is what I am afraid of. Dont know if in my case it seems the item never shipped is better for my case or not

You've seen the posts that crop up sometimes from people who can't access the website? Your account will be blocked if you return that many games. I'm not sure if setting up a new account fixes it.
I was not aware they will block my account for returning games. That is really odd. It's not that I am returning multiples of each game... It's simply one copy of each.

I want to return my order but I don’t got energy to deal with these GS employees [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Went in store this evening to return a "new" game that arrived today with a used case and was denied because "they wouldn't send out a new game like that." We all know what we're signing up for with "new" at Gamestop. My base expectation is Gamefly condition (original box, inserts, and a clean disc). When that is not met, I return. This is the first time they have denied me. Guess I'll call on Monday to go for the refund or replacement route

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck returning “new” games instore. If they’re actually shrink wrapped it’s no problem. If it’s gutted, extremely ymmv

3 of my 4 "new" games weren't new.

I filled out the form on their app for customer service, stating that I would like some sort of compensation for their error. We shall see what happens.

Time to "rent" ac mirage.
Actual return policy is a little more nuanced than that: https://www.gamestop.com/fullreturnpolicy/

They even have a reduced return window for "special" or "collector" edition new hardware and software, which I can totally see becoming an issue when almost everything seems to get some kind of special designation (e.g. I can picture some clerk trying to refuse a return of a "launch" edition game citing that clause).

I was not aware they will block my account for returning games. That is really odd. It's not that I am returning multiples of each game... It's simply one copy of each.
They (corporate) dislikes people who game the system, fishing for sealed copies and what not.

Their goal is offload inventory, not to pay shipping to shuffle games around.

Not saying I agree with GameStop, for the record, just telling you their perspective.

Fwiw any company seeing returns of 15 items is going to be proactive in eliminating that from happening again (even if the company is part of the problem).

At that point a ban becomes a form of altruism. “We are a shit company but since you can’t grasp it, we’re going to protect you from yourself”

I think plenty of people understand the concept of "new" from GS... I think what most of us that have shopped there long enough are just caught off guard by how often we get GS "new" these days and how GS "new" is getting worse (missing extras, no case, etc). 5 or 6 years ago, I remember getting maybe 1-2 guts a year. Over the past year or two, it's been like... 50% of my new games are gutted.
It also used to be common with games where GS would only get 1-2 copies ever. Now it's everything. You need to gut copies of the best selling games now?

Good luck returning “new” games instore. If they’re actually shrink wrapped it’s no problem. If it’s gutted, extremely ymmv
Hm.. for all the trouble I've had with my monthly PUR coupon, I've never had an issue returning "new" games at GS in store... stickered or bagged (though the bagged ones do catch employees off-guard as I think it's newer). But I am wondering what it'll be like to return my "new" copy of GrimGrimoire PS5 that's not stickered or bagged or even price tagged.

To finish my Pro Week purchase: I took the "new" copy of Tony Hawk 1+2 to one of the closer Gamestops to me because they typically have a larger inventory. The employee was a little shocked at the condition of the "new" game, saying they don't know why it's not in at least an Xbox case and why their default pre-owned cover art says Xbox Series S and not X. They didn't have a copy at all, so he looked it up in the computer and called one of the two stores that said they had it. One store did have it, but he trusts their inventory count more, was a little further out from me, but I was going to be nearby for a prior engagement, so they held the game for me. In the meantime, the employee returned one of the shirts I bought. I guess they're not supposed to do returns on shirts, but he did it anyway.

A few hours later I went to the store to pick up the game, and that employee was besides himself at the way the game I got was sent to me. He said, at least there, if the only copy of a "new" game was like that, they cancel the order. He swapped the discs, no problem. It had stickers on it, so he peeled the stickers off, pulled out a bottle of Goo Gone, and proceeded to remove the sticker residue and clean the case. Then he put the game in a clear, plastic sleeve with resealable adhesive. I've seen these before, usual in local game shops or collectors selling online, but never Gamestop. He said they switched to these from the horrible round stickers for open "new" games in February. I guess the rest of the stores didn't get the memo.

Anyway, both employees were really cool about it all. And I have to say, this is the vast majority of my personal experience with Gamestop employees. I think there worst I've ever had is years ago, at the location I just swapped cases for, I bought Windwaker HD for WiiU and the guy at that time hounded me over preordering just about anything, but that's about it. Everywhere else I've gone, Gamestop employees have been pretty chill and helpful. The first employee did ask if I wanted to renew my Pro, because it expired a few days ago, and would throw in a 4 pack of Red Bull, but I politely declined (and said the Red Bull was actually a disincentive for me and he laughed) and he didn't ask again. I guess I'm lucky, or in the minority, but that's my experience.

Lackluster preorders,shipping issues,missing games and just a cold tone really set the bar for Gamestop to continue dying. I'm honestly sad for those who didn't get their games but more so the fact it's becoming more alarming whats going on behind the scenes

Hm.. for all the trouble I've had with my monthly PUR coupon, I've never had an issue returning "new" games at GS in store... stickered or bagged (though the bagged ones do catch employees off-guard as I think it's newer). But I am wondering what it'll be like to return my "new" copy of GrimGrimoire PS5 that's not stickered or bagged or even price tagged.
Same. Until now. Got told they’ll make an exception since the game wasn’t sealed even though I received my games “sealed” with a damn round sticker lol

Went in store this evening to return a "new" game that arrived today with a used case and was denied because "they wouldn't send out a new game like that." We all know what we're signing up for with "new" at Gamestop. My base expectation is Gamefly condition (original box, inserts, and a clean disc). When that is not met, I return. This is the first time they have denied me. Guess I'll call on Monday to go for the refund or replacement route
Gamestop loves to lie, cheat, and steal what else can you say?

Account > Orders > Track Package > Start a Return

I ordered about 20 games. Only 3 or 4 sealed. Rest were used with new sticker. All the slip inserts were bent, torn, and codes redeemed. How is this legal?

No this is inaccurate. The CE & game was a “soft bundle” so the game has to be in the same transaction as the CE for the register to print a season pass code on the receipt.

Updated 10/13! Everything has shipped & started to arrive. Updating conditions, green is NEW & red is "new lol". Grey haven't arrived yet.

Just awaiting DI: hella edition

Mostly ever store is out of the game, and rare to find the CE. Luckily, I got the game online and found the CE today in store. I will attempt a return rebuy, getting both in one transaction and report back. Thanks for the heads up!
I did a return & buy yesterday. Putting both items on 1 transaction, still no season pass. Debating if I still want to keep the CE.

Super mega baseball 4 for ps5 and switch $6. Not too shabby I’ll take the switch version for that low

NFS: Unbound $6 (new) for Xbox only.
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/need-for-speed-unbound---xbox-series-x/352606.html

Was able to get a Target online rep to price-match, but it was a hassle. First tried to claim it’s only for GameStop Pro members so she couldn’t match it, second claimed they don’t price match clearance items. Best of luck.
Both cheaper than pro week. I got em for $11.25ea. Gon swing by and pick them up at the new price. Thanks for posting.

NFS: Unbound $6 (new) for Xbox only.
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/need-for-speed-unbound---xbox-series-x/352606.html

Was able to get a Target online rep to price-match, but it was a hassle. First tried to claim it’s only for GameStop Pro members so she couldn’t match it, second claimed they don’t price match clearance items. Best of luck.
this how I got my copy. Watch out
77e6653959f66a5fc3c5f35aea0296e1.jpg

Well we are all used to getting games with no cases. Today was my first time getting a case with no game! Pikmen 4 came with just a case. Called customer service. They told me to go to a store. That store told me to go to another store. And that store told me it has to go through LP. So I wasted my time driving around for no reason and now I just have to wait
Had this happen to me and GS support did nothing about it even after opening a few cases. Said it shows delivered and to make a case with the mail company.

To others, don't waste time going to the store for it. Best to just do a chargeback.

Has there ever been a company that deserved to go under as much as GameStop? They treat their customers like they’re all 9 year olds who can’t complain about sketchy business practices that any other retailers wouldn’t dream of.

Between going from occasional gutted games to making free shipping jump from 25-30 to a laughable 80 dollar minimum, they can take their funko pops and tshirts in their smelly stores and go fuck themselves

It also used to be common with games where GS would only get 1-2 copies ever. Now it's everything. You need to gut copies of the best selling games now?
when you returned the stack of like 20 games last time did the employees give you a hard time? I don’t know what to expect cause I never return anything.

did you see my copy? It’s not that to believe

I too received a game like this from a previous sale... I got an apology with mine though.

[attachment=38250:Newsed.jpg]

One other thing I noticed with three of my "new" games... they don't have any price tags on them (I can se the residue on one of them) and they look a bit more worn then I'd expect them to. One was even missing the bonus contents that are supposed to come with. I'm almost certain they're used copies that the stores decided to send off as new copies so they can reduce stock.

I don't mind if the New game is opened. My main problem is if it's in a generic sleeve or a used case with no cover art. It's happened 4 times now ..

Had this happen to me and GS support did nothing about it even after opening a few cases. Said it shows delivered and to make a case with the mail company.

To others, don't waste time going to the store for it. Best to just do a chargeback.
A couple of months ago, I had something similar happen to me with Mega Man Battle Network Collection and Dusk Diver 2 on Switch and because it was over a certain amount, they had to call LP and launch an investigation. Turns out they never refunded my money so I had to do a charge back and during that whole process, my Pro account got banned. GameStop couldn't give two shits when I disputed it on the phone. Supposedly got flagged as a reseller because of it.

when you returned the stack of like 20 games last time did the employees give you a hard time? I don’t know what to expect cause I never return anything.

Last time I did a large return, it was about 25-30 games where it was all generic cases, no case at all, broken, or no game at all. Totaled around $460. They didn't really mind but I asked them if it would help if I bought other stuff with that money and they said "yes it would since its early in the morning."

I spent about an hour looking through games and their B1G1 list at the time and the employee was very understanding and would point out any sealed games he had in their drawers. In the end I think I owed them $2 from it all.

Worst case, you buy new games that you can easily return one by one at other stores. Best case, you don't care at all and get your money back.

I paid with store credit. So if I don’t get a replacement/refund I don’t know what options I have lol

bread's done
Back