The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Not sure why it's dropped so much, but the Dead Space remake dropped to $24.99 preowned on both systems. Stacking the $5 monthly coupon and $5 store pickup promo resulted in a final cost of $13.99+tax for me.

PS5: https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/dead-space---playstation-5/359611.html

XSX: https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/dead-space---xbox-series-x/352596.html
hmmm no new copies available. i wonder if they holding on to the new copies and sell them cheap for Black Friday.

hmmm no new copies available. i wonder if they holding on to the new copies and sell them cheap for Black Friday.
Oddly, Amazon is OOS of it as well on PS5.

Not sure why it's dropped so much, but the Dead Space remake dropped to $24.99 preowned on both systems. Stacking the $5 monthly coupon and $5 store pickup promo resulted in a final cost of $13.99+tax for me.

PS5: https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/dead-space---playstation-5/359611.html

XSX: https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/dead-space---xbox-series-x/352596.html
Thanks for posting this. Just double dip my coupon and ordered a copy.

Sigh..used a pur coupon on a cheap switch game I had already. Man I'm getting old. 🤦‍♂️
I keep a list to manage my backlog for these purposes after I somehow bought 2 copies of so3. Though that only works when keeping it updated. That's how I ended up with 2 copies of dark cloud. The first copy was disc only thus I forgot I had it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that, Dead Space PS5 is on their most wanted list. Either EA is sparsely printing the discs or GameStop is not buying them.

It’s looking more and more like trade values going to stink the rest of the year. Values are so bad even if they doubled them they are still 50% of last years values in some cases. I cancelled my membership renewal for later this month, I guess I’ll hit them with accessories one more time, but the value won’t even be 33% of November 2022.
The hilarious part of this is they are charging MORE for a lot of used games than they did in 2022. My reference is always the group of 4 for X orders I did in January 2023. Almost every game from that list (outside of sports) have increased in price.

How exactly are they going to stay open 5am-closing when they can barely staff the stores their normal business hours?
They know the stores will be empty, so they will just have the employee unlock it, turn the lights on and go back home till 10am

I see Final Fantasy VII Remake for PS4 = $15 brand new

-> https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/playstation-4/products/final-fantasy-vii-remake---playstation-4/197964.html

Is the actual Yuffie content & any other extra content in Intergrade Edition on PS5/PC worthwhile? Is the new content in Intergrade short/long in terms of hours?
Yuffie episode is about 5 hours if you rush through the story, 7-10 if you do the side quests and minigames. Beating it also unlocks a new superboss in the main game.

The upgrade to the PS5 version with all the graphical and performance enhancements is actually free but Yuffie episode is $20.

I played the DLC through PS+ Extra so I don't feel ripped off, but value is subjective. If you're planning on getting FF7 Rebirth digitally, you can also get both it + FF7 Remake PS5 version + DLC for $70 which is the same price as Rebirth alone.

I keep a list to manage my backlog for these purposes after I somehow bought 2 copies of so3. Though that only works when keeping it updated. That's how I ended up with 2 copies of dark cloud. The first copy was disc only thus I forgot I had it.
Yeah, I used to use cag for my collection but now I just use spreadsheets.

I am parsing through switch games to use the five dollar off and it amazes me how there are zero copies of the games I might use it on within 100 miles of Austin Tx. lol find that hard to believe.

If there is 1 in stock it won't show up online
Correct and that means you can't use the $5 in store pickup even if the store has 1 copy left to buy meaning you can use the pick up but the website won't show it as in stock to use the $5 coup

[attachment=38329:crosseyed pic.jpg]

It wouldn't let me use a gif for some reason.

Just had to get the blue controller for pickup at GameStop since since it’s $45 after the coupon. No red near me. Surprised people like that more than the blue. Or I guess it’s people who missed out on the spiderman controller buying them?

I am parsing through switch games to use the five dollar off and it amazes me how there are zero copies of the games I might use it on within 100 miles of Austin Tx. lol find that hard to believe.
It never fails, it takes about 2-5 minutes every time they sucker me into browsing their website, before I'm so frustrated with it that I just refuse to buy anything.

Just had to get the blue controller for pickup at GameStop since since it’s $45 after the coupon. No red near me. Surprised people like that more than the blue. Or I guess it’s people who missed out on the spiderman controller buying them?
Opposite for me. Brought the volcanic red bc it was in stock but wanted the cobalt blue which is not yet available or oos in store.

Sigh..used a pur coupon on a cheap switch game I had already. Man I'm getting old. 🤦‍♂️
Well..found the awesome GS employee. Had bought the dup game mostly with points and at store pickup was told I was sool if I returned it. Went to another GS today and was able to "return" the game for another equal or higher price game (paying the difference) and not lose the value of the points.

Not sure what the real policy is with PUR points...but appreciated the help today.

I traded my launch day PS5 ($407.50 credit) at Gamestop today for the $500 Spider-Man 2 bundle.  Worth it for me to get a new controller, Spider-Man 2, and a 3 year newer console.  My launch console had very loud buzzing/coil whine from the power supply.  The new one is nearly silent so I'm happy.  I'm not a fan of the slim design so I'm fine with the original style.  Also grabbed the new red controller for $45 with the in store pickup coupon (I wanted blue but they didn't have it).

always worth it to sell your worn shit to GS and upgrade for like a hundred bucks.

let the common folk buy their used crud.  such savings, much wow.

I traded my launch day PS5 ($407.50 credit) at Gamestop today for the $500 Spider-Man 2 bundle. Worth it for me to get a new controller, Spider-Man 2, and a 3 year newer console. My launch console had very load buzzing/coil whine from the power supply. The new one is nearly silent so I'm happy. I'm not a fan of the slim design so I'm fine with the original style. Also grabbed the new red controller for $45 with the in store pickup coupon (I wanted blue but they didn't have it).
It's definitely tempting to do. I also have a 2TB SSD that I put in. My launch dual sense X button only works if you blow into the speaker every 20 seconds. They would notice that when testing the console. I also gameshare with a friend so I would have to redo that. Erasing all my stuff (resetting the system)and then taking out the SSD and then putting it all in a box and taking it to GS and trading it in(if they even take the controller) and then getting the Spiderman 2 bundle and taking it home and setting it up all over again and installing the SSD again just seems like too much of a pain for me even though I am getting a new game and new console and controller for $100. How long of a process is getting back all your games and saves? Did it recognize all the games you downloaded on your SSD? I have PS Premium so all my saves will be there but would I have to manually download them from the cloud or is everything automatic once you connect to the internet like Microsoft? Upgrading from my XB1 to XB1S to OneX to Series X was extremely simple.

It's definitely tempting to do. I also have a 2TB SSD that I put in. My launch dual sense X button only works if you blow into the speaker every 20 seconds. They would notice that when testing the console. I also gameshare with a friend so I would have to redo that. Erasing all my stuff (resetting the system)and then taking out the SSD and then putting it all in a box and taking it to GS and trading it in(if they even take the controller) and then getting the Spiderman 2 bundle and taking it home and setting it up all over again and installing the SSD again just seems like too much of a pain for me even though I am getting a new game and new console and controller for $100. How long of a process is getting back all your games and saves? Did it recognize all the games you downloaded on your SSD? I have PS Premium so all my saves will be there but would I have to manually download them from the cloud or is everything automatic once you connect to the internet like Microsoft? Upgrading from my XB1 to XB1S to OneX to Series X was extremely simple.
Looking at about 2-hours max of setup time, Sony has been pretty harsh with repairing this generation, if it’s out of warranty they aren’t even fixing it for me like they did with previous generations. Had to get a new console entirely, so any time I can re-up my warranty I try to do so!

I traded my launch day PS5 ($407.50 credit) at Gamestop today for the $500 Spider-Man 2 bundle. Worth it for me to get a new controller, Spider-Man 2, and a 3 year newer console. My launch console had very load buzzing/coil whine from the power supply. The new one is nearly silent so I'm happy. I'm not a fan of the slim design so I'm fine with the original style. Also grabbed the new red controller for $45 with the in store pickup coupon (I wanted blue but they didn't have it).
Tempted to do this even though I don’t play my PS5 much. I wish the Series X was trading for more…

How long of a process is getting back all your games and saves? Did it recognize all the games you downloaded on your SSD? I have PS Premium so all my saves will be there but would I have to manually download them from the cloud or is everything automatic once you connect to the internet like Microsoft? Upgrading from my XB1 to XB1S to OneX to Series X was extremely simple.
The process of swapping consoles was pretty quick and painless. Removing the cover to get to the NVMe slot is definitely easier with experience. When I first installed the drive I sent the cover plate flying. Now I know to gently push the plate a bit while lifting the corner with the round peg opposite of the disc drive.

The 2TB NVMe drive moved over without having to redownload any games, just a quick database rebuild. My PS5 saves automatically downloaded (they should auto upload/download if the sync option on). I didn't check my PS4 saves but I think I've always manually uploaded/downloaded those. Worst case I think you can mass upload/download saves from one of the menus. I like having the option to turn cloud sync off so I can use the cloud for save scumming, which is difficult on Xbox.

They did a factory reset at the store, but I deleted my main account before taking it in.

The process of swapping consoles was pretty quick and painless. Removing the cover to get to the NVMe slot is definitely easier with experience. When I first installed the drive I sent the cover plate flying. Now I know to gently push the plate a bit while lifting the corner with the round peg opposite of the disc drive.

The 2TB NVMe drive moved over without having to redownload any games, just a quick database rebuild. My PS5 saves automatically downloaded (they should auto upload/download if the sync option on). I didn't check my PS4 saves but I think I've always manually uploaded/downloaded those. Worst case I think you can mass upload/download saves from one of the menus. I like having the option to turn cloud sync off so I can use the cloud for save scumming, which is difficult on Xbox.

They did a factory reset at the store, but I deleted my main account before taking it in.
Interesting. I live in a sales tax state so it would be an extra $46 or so on top of the $500. So add that to the cost to upgrade and it's just not worth it for me.

Interesting. I live in a sales tax state so it would be an extra $46 or so on top of the $500. So add that to the cost to upgrade and it's just not worth it for me.
Especially if they reject your controller. I figured my launch DualSense was a ticking time bomb so I was glad to be rid of it.

always worth it to sell your worn shit to GS and upgrade for like a hundred bucks.

let the common folk buy their used crud. such savings, much wow.
Absolutely, you get the refresh on the controller and console while the less mentally capable whine about their jacked up controller for the 47th time.

I traded my launch day PS5 ($407.50 credit) at Gamestop today for the $500 Spider-Man 2 bundle. Worth it for me to get a new controller, Spider-Man 2, and a 3 year newer console. My launch console had very loud buzzing/coil whine from the power supply. The new one is nearly silent so I'm happy. I'm not a fan of the slim design so I'm fine with the original style. Also grabbed the new red controller for $45 with the in store pickup coupon (I wanted blue but they didn't have it).
I would have done the same thing but I sold my launch ps5 disc console with callisto protocol for $400 cash today. The disc drive was starting to get loud. Popped out my 2 tb ssd after checking out a video or two on youtube. I didn’t know you could keep your games and save data on the ssd so I just backed up the games to an external hdd. Will make do with my spidey ps4 pro for 2 weeks and then buy a slim ps5 bundle Black Friday week (would prefer a slightly smaller ps5 disc console although the standard ps5 build looks more premium to me).
Apparently black friday sales will be all week long at Gamestop starting on Sun Nov 19th according to the employee.
I’m sales tax free in Oregon, so the upgrade for a new console & controller with refreshed warranty makes sense.

The new dualsense color I wanted wasn’t available anywhere near me but I checked the site again after midnight and there was 1 left lol. Got a $5 off store pickup again just wish u could stack the monthly but I guess it’s better to save it for black friday

If I hadn't bought and 100% Spidy 2 last week, I would've done the upgrade to the Spidy 2 Slim bundle. Could've even driven 40 minutes to a tax free state. The MW3 bundle just doesn't seem inciting at all. I guess I'll just wait a little bit and hope that the trade values stay similar or increase in the future.

is anyone upgrading from their phat ps5 to the slim?

so $357.50 is trade value on GS.com, it's +$50 if trading towards another ps5 making it $407.50 is that right? 

I wonder if coil whine is lesser of a thing, and I would miss my OEM black plates. Sorta silly to not offer customization right out the gate. 

bread's done
Back