The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
My controller didn't have any issues but they didn't even test it so ymmv. They are supposed to test for that stuff though.
I brought the box and everything else when I brought it in to trade. I wanted the next person to have it as new as possible. I didn't feel bad about them having to push the X button a tad harder but I wouldn't try to trade in a badly drifting analog stick. Even if it gets past the employee, I wouldn't want the person buying it to have a broken controller.

...but you tried to trade in a broken controller. Stuck buttons suck to deal with too.
The button isn't stuck. You just can't tap it and expect it to register. Just have to push it in a tad harder. It still works fine and I am currently using it as my main controller on the slim. A right analog drifting would make a lot of games unplayable.

A user on slickdeals claims you get the $50 bonus regardless if you buy a PS5 right then and there. He claims you get a trade credit card for $407.50. That's not what the terms state but cool to know for those here that want that if it's indeed true.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is what the terms state, they changed the promo, just like someone here already stated and posted the banner of.
I can't keep track of GS constantly changing things but the deal is even better now. Of course, they could tank the trade in value at any minute too.

Are in-store pickup orders supposed to take more than a day? I did the Xbox deal with a digital game and neither the game or the console is ready yet.

PS4 version has free upgrade to PS5 version sans Interlude so I would just get it & buy Interlude before end of February.

Even the boxed PS5 version just had Interlude as a download code & is out of print, so I would just go this route if you haven’t played the remake yet.
Don't have PS5 - and probably not getting that console anytime soon, as it ain't old yet.

I'd be likely looking b/t PS4 FF7 OG version and PC FF7 Intergrade version (on Steam or Epic) - and PC version ain't cheap yet either.

Don't have PS5 - and probably not getting that console anytime soon, as it ain't old yet.

I'd be likely looking b/t PS4 FF7 OG version and PC FF7 Intergrade version (on Steam or Epic) - and PC version ain't cheap yet either.
I'd go with the PC version out of those 2. But you will need to use the flawless widescreen mod if you use an ultrawide monitor.

I'd go with the PC version out of those 2. But you will need to use the flawless widescreen mod if you use an ultrawide monitor.
I use the standard 16:9 monitors on PC, so I won't have any of those ultra-wide problems. Good to know though, in case I ever buy a UW Monitor.

FF7 Intergrade on PC ain't been cheap, if you check ITAD; around $40 when on sale - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/finalfantasyviiremakeintergrade/info/

Though, GameStop's had FF7 OG PS4 for $20 or so used or $15 new; but nobody around me got it new at $15 - https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/playstation-4/products/final-fantasy-vii-remake---playstation-4/197964.html

EDIT - I wish a GameStop around me had FF7 Remake OG version for PS4 at $15; that's insta-buy turf.

I wanted to share my GS experience last week but couldn't post for some strange reason. Finally I can, odd. Anyways, I bought Wild Hearts (PS5) and Risen (PS4) for only $16.15 after using my $5 monthly voucher and $5 in-store pickup deal. Good start to November. Also found Puppeteer (PS3), a little scratched and scuffed but complete with case and cover art, just the other day. Looking forward to Black Friday!

So not sure if it’s the site (assuming it is), but I redeemed a $15 reward for online, but it does not seem to work on any item. I’ve tried everything, nothing works. And on a side note my Pro was set to expire today but is already gone off my account? Shouldn’t it be end of business? Not sure if I should waste my time calling or not?

what has happened to gaming ??? still no black friday ads and its the middle of november for starters and everything seems dead in general game deal wise all around outside of digital ? is this the end of the old days where we would frantically go outside, hunt some BF games snd meet new people in the gaming isles in gaming isles ?

So not sure if it’s the site (assuming it is), but I redeemed a $15 reward for online, but it does not seem to work on any item. I’ve tried everything, nothing works. And on a side note my Pro was set to expire today but is already gone off my account? Shouldn’t it be end of business? Not sure if I should waste my time calling or not?
Generally if any item is part of a promo, a cert cannot be used. But it may also just not work at all regardless.

You might be able to contact support to get your points back for the cert, but since your pro has expired, you might be out of luck anyway. Always worth a try but keep your expectations low.

Generally if any item is part of a promo, a cert cannot be used. But it may also just not work at all regardless.

You might be able to contact support to get your points back for the cert, but since your pro has expired, you might be out of luck anyway. Always worth a try but keep your expectations low.
Called, no luck. I explained I showed Pro this morning.. they didn’t care. They tried to get me to renew… no thanks.

Online certificates have a horrible rate of actually working at any given time. You'd be wise to never even try.

what has happened to gaming ??? still no black friday ads and its the middle of november for starters and everything seems dead in general game deal wise all around outside of digital ? is this the end of the old days where we would frantically go outside, hunt some BF games snd meet new people in the gaming isles in gaming isles ?
Put simply -- yes.

Anyone know what the in store clearance deal is this week? Know it's 50% off online but lately they haven't always been the same offer.
It apparently is 50-70% off depending on the store. I saw one store at 50 and another at 60. Online clearance discount will be 70% off soon.

Put simply -- yes.
Yup, it was bound to happen w/ console gaming, as this phase hit PC gaming when Steam and its 15 wannabe's (EA Origin, UPlay, BattleNet, etc) crushed the retail PC gaming retail-box market.

I barely grab games for PC at retail anymore; once and a full moon. And most of those...no game in box, only game-key - i.e. CP 2077 for PC Retail had a GOG key in there.

And I just got back into console gaming recently; friend sold me a PS4 dirt-cheap he had no use for it anymore, as he got a PS5.

Does anybody know if the ps4 consoles get the $50 bump without buying a ps5?
*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S or X, Xbox One, or Nintendo Switch towards a new PS5 Console: Applies to Trade Credit Only, Excludes Cash Trades.

If you have the black PS4 Pro, Best Buy gives $180 for it.

Traded in a bad fat PS5 for the new slim yesterday. Got the $407 for it. Guy wanted the official HDMI cable that came with the system which was annoying since I bought in a random one I had it hooked up to, so I had to go back and get that before he'd take it. The fat PS5 constantly crashed with an error code so I had sent it in to Sony for repair/replacement and they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. I specifically told them it will start just fine and even run a game for a bit, but inevitably it crashes repeatedly with error code 108255. So I figured ok cool if it's working fine according to Sony it must be fine to trade in to Gamestop. 

As for controllers the guy said the one I initially bought in was drifting (it didn't drift, I checked it before trade in...) so I came back with another controller as well. I only meant to trade in the second one but he still took the original one also and gave me $6.80 for it, hitting it with a refurb fee. I hate Gamestop which is why I had no problem giving them a garbage PS5 in the first place. Sorry to whoever gets it. Sony says it's just fine though.

Also cleaned out a drawer in my room yesterday and randomly found a gamestop gift card with about $50 so bought the Robocop game. It looks like it should be fun.

Do I need the original hdmi cable for Xbox trade in? I’m assuming not. Have no idea where it is.

I have a generic one I can trade in.

Traded in a bad fat PS5 for the new slim yesterday. Got the $407 for it. Guy wanted the official HDMI cable that came with the system which was annoying since I bought in a random one I had it hooked up to, so I had to go back and get that before he'd take it. The fat PS5 constantly crashed with an error code so I had sent it in to Sony for repair/replacement and they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. I specifically told them it will start just fine and even run a game for a bit, but inevitably it crashes repeatedly with error code 108255. So I figured ok cool if it's working fine according to Sony it must be fine to trade in to Gamestop.

As for controllers the guy said the one I initially bought in was drifting (it didn't drift, I checked it before trade in...) so I came back with another controller as well. I only meant to trade in the second one but he still took the original one also and gave me $6.80 for it, hitting it with a refurb fee. I hate Gamestop which is why I had no problem giving them a garbage PS5 in the first place. Sorry to whoever gets it. Sony says it's just fine though.

Also cleaned out a drawer in my room yesterday and randomly found a gamestop gift card with about $50 so bought the Robocop game. It looks like it should be fun.
I would have gone to a different store if there is one in your area, the HDMI thing is ridiculous

Do I need the original hdmi cable for Xbox trade in? I’m assuming not. Have no idea where it is.

I have a generic one I can trade in.
I honestly didn't think that you did, but maybe some will take any cable and some are sticklers? His reasoning for rejecting it on my PS5 trade was that the Sony cable does 120hz while some others don't and he probably didn't know which would or wouldn't so he just wouldn't take it. I'm pretty sure every/almost every HDMI cable will allow 120hz but regardless I wasn't going to argue I just wanted the $400 for my garbage PS5 lol

I would have gone to a different store if there is one in your area, the HDMI thing is ridiculous
I was 100% going to do exactly that until I got home to get the proper HDMI cable and a different controller in case all the gamestops around me were the same way but I realized I left the usb-c/usb-a cable at the store since that's the cable he was using to check my controller for drift. I didn't have an extra laying around so just went back to the same guy.

I honestly didn't think that you did, but maybe some will take any cable and some are sticklers? His reasoning for rejecting it on my PS5 trade was that the Sony cable does 120hz while some others don't and he probably didn't know which would or wouldn't so he just wouldn't take it. I'm pretty sure every/almost every HDMI cable will allow 120hz but regardless I wasn't going to argue I just wanted the $400 for my garbage PS5 lol
He's actually right, but only when it comes to 4K 120Hz. The PS5 and Series X come with Ultra High Speed 48 Gbps HDMI cables that are needed for 4K 120Hz.

The Series S and One X come with Premium High Speed 18 Gbps HDMI cables, which can do 4K 60Hz or 120Hz for lower resolutions. The Xbox cables look the same but are marked differently if you look at the connectors.

https://www.hdmi.org/resource/cables

im seeing people mention a promo that you can trade in a ps4 towards a ps5 and get $50 extra in credit but i dont see it on the site
Scroll down all the way on Gamestop's homepage. You might not want to trade it in there if you have the PS4 Pro. Check out BestBuy's trade in quote for your specific device. I got $180 for my old PS4 Pro and it was so much easier process than GameStop.

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S or X, Xbox One, or Nintendo Switch towards a new PS5 Console: Applies to Trade Credit Only, Excludes Cash Trades. *Pros Get 10% Extra Trade Credit: Applies to trade credit only.

Dear Nerds, please stop fucking chatting with the LONE GS employee when there are people waiting. I know you’re fucking lonely but other people got shit to do. You bought your games. Now go the fuck home and play them. Nobody cares about what you think about certain pokemon or what fucking Japanese game has the best dating sim.

Maybe the GS employee cares. But I doubt it. They just want to take care of the next person in line so they can do their jobs.

Dear Nerds, please stop fucking chatting with the LONE GS employee when there are people waiting. I know you’re fucking lonely but other people got shit to do. You bought your games. Now go the fuck home and play them. Nobody cares about what you think about certain pokemon or what fucking Japanese game has the best dating sim.

Maybe the GS employee cares. But I doubt it. They just want to take care of the next person in line so they can do their jobs.
This made me laugh 😂

Who hurt you?

i've had the employees do that to me. luckily no one's behind me, but it's still annoying

bread's done
Back