The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Scroll down all the way on Gamestop's homepage. You might not want to trade it in there if you have the PS4 Pro. Check out BestBuy's trade in quote for your specific device. I got $180 for my old PS4 Pro and it was so much easier process than GameStop.

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S or X, Xbox One, or Nintendo Switch towards a new PS5 Console: Applies to Trade Credit Only, Excludes Cash Trades. *Pros Get 10% Extra Trade Credit: Applies to trade credit only.
i have the OG launch day ps4

what has happened to gaming ??? still no black friday ads and its the middle of november for starters and everything seems dead in general game deal wise all around outside of digital ? is this the end of the old days where we would frantically go outside, hunt some BF games snd meet new people in the gaming isles in gaming isles ?
What happened is people started supporting digital distribution primarily, and now this is what you get.

There are going to be fewer (digital) sales, and fewer games being made too. You can't easily discover new games to buy anymore. There is so much bloat. No one is playing the same things, or reading the same publications. Things are going to consolidate intrinsically even further with the major franchises, and require two tiers of paid service memberships.

Last edited by a moderator:
so in case I want a steam deck oled after getting steam deck lcd 64gb with GameStop trade credit only a year ago and upgrading it to 1tb (lol), are steam cards easy to find in stores?

sucks online doesn't have them anymore, hence not qualifying for 10% off 

Scroll down all the way on Gamestop's homepage. You might not want to trade it in there if you have the PS4 Pro. Check out BestBuy's trade in quote for your specific device. I got $180 for my old PS4 Pro and it was so much easier process than GameStop.

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S or X, Xbox One, or Nintendo Switch towards a new PS5 Console: Applies to Trade Credit Only, Excludes Cash Trades. *Pros Get 10% Extra Trade Credit: Applies to trade credit only.
$180 BestBuy e-Gift Card only

so in case I want a steam deck oled after getting steam deck lcd 64gb with GameStop trade credit only a year ago and upgrading it to 1tb (lol), are steam cards easy to find in stores?

sucks online doesn't have them anymore, hence not qualifying for 10% off
The physical cards don’t seem to be carried at every store but any store should be able to sell you the code printed on a receipt and it should be the same denomination choices ($20 and $100).

Is it even worth calling CS if it looks like my accounts are banned? I think they finally got around to getting me for those "excessive" returns, with the one where their store chopped off my unit # and got a packaged returned to sender being the last one.

Am I stuck doing in-store for everything if I want to make a purchase?

So it seems Switches are no longer included in the $50 toward PS5s? I was going to see if Switch Lites worked but now probably not worth the trip. (edit: actually this seems to be a flat $50 extra. My bad)

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, or PlayStation 5 console: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades. *10% Extra On Trades: applies to trade credit only.

what has happened to gaming ??? still no black friday ads and its the middle of november for starters and everything seems dead in general game deal wise all around outside of digital ? is this the end of the old days where we would frantically go outside, hunt some BF games snd meet new people in the gaming isles in gaming isles ?
The rise of digital + Microsoft/Sony putting their games on PC has really hurt console gaming.

Be our guinea pig! I dont have time to go today.

So it seems Switches are no longer included in the $50 toward PS5s? I was going to see if Switch Lites worked but now probably not worth the trip. (edit: actually this seems to be a flat $50 extra. My bad)

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, or PlayStation 5 console: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades. *10% Extra On Trades: applies to trade credit only.

I think the only time I noticed noise on my launch PS5 was when a disc was inserted. It’s not as loud as a PS4 Pro (jet engine!), but it can be pretty distracting. Haven’t noticed coil whine that some users experience.
From the psn thread and other discussions on this subject it varies by pro model whether it's loud or not.

Pro models that came with RDR2 and manufactured after were a lot quieter. I bought a used og PS4 phat that sounded like a jet engine, but after adding new thermal paste, it became quite. That could be the problem for the older pro models, they just needed a new thermal paste.

Bottom of the main page:

Sort of want another "fatter" disc PS5 if only because it doesn't require an online connection to sync the drive. I sound crazy, don't I?

Sort of want another "fatter" disc PS5 if only because it doesn't require an online connection to sync the drive. I sound crazy, don't I?
Nah, newest of fat models has the same parts when it comes to efficiency and the storage increase on the slim will be increasingly insignificant as storage expansion prices continue to drop.

Is it even worth calling CS if it looks like my accounts are banned? I think they finally got around to getting me for those "excessive" returns, with the one where their store chopped off my unit # and got a packaged returned to sender being the last one.

Am I stuck doing in-store for everything if I want to make a purchase?
It's worth a try, you never know. Although I tried on 2 separate occasions and they said I have to go through email to a different department. Emailed them both times and they wouldn't budge even though it has been totally their fault for the returns. Close to 50% of my orders this year have been messed up.

You can still purchase in store and make sure you use your coupons up. Also, the $5 reward doesn't work but if you have a good person working, they might override the system and give you a $5 discount. Just act ignorant like you don't know why the coupon is not working all of a sudden.

Gamestop did not give me 10,000 points for buying the slim. I also bought a $10 psn card and only those 100 points were credited. I'm on the phone with them now and the guy tells me he sees that I bought the slim but the receipt only shows $5.46 and that it was a trade in so I only get the price difference for the points which he shows as 5.46. He is telling me they messed up in the store and to go back to the store and have them fix the issue. I'm waiting to speak with a supervisor now.

For those of you that did the trade in, check your accounts and make sure you got 10,000 points.

**EDIT**

Supervisor was very nice and she understood what was going on over the first guy I talked to. She told me it was very confusing what the GS employee at the store did and after going through all the transactions she saw on her end, she apologized and credited me the 10,000 points.

Gamestop did not give me 10,000 points for buying the slim. I also bought a $10 psn card and only those 100 points were credited. I'm on the phone with them now and the guy tells me he sees that I bought the slim but the receipt only shows $5.46 and that it was a trade in so I only get the price difference for the points which he shows as 5.46. He is telling me they messed up in the store and to go back to the store and have them fix the issue. I'm waiting to speak with a supervisor now.
it’s been this way for me for years, I always make them out the trade credit on a card and then use that, they don’t always but usually will.

Pro models that came with RDR2 and manufactured after were a lot quieter. I bought a used og PS4 phat that sounded like a jet engine, but after adding new thermal paste, it became quite. That could be the problem for the older pro models, they just needed a new thermal paste.
The one with the smaller power plug were much better. I believe CUH7215 is the model vs the older CUH7x15.

it’s been this way for me for years, I always make them out the trade credit on a card and then use that, they don’t always but usually will.
I edited my post. The supervisor took care of it.

I apologize if this was answered recently but are you able to use online rewards on eshop cards or does that only work in store?
The $5 monthly only works in store. Someone else can answer about the online cert.

For those of you that did the trade in, check your accounts and make sure you got 10,000 points.

**EDIT**
Supervisor was very nice and she understood what was going on over the first guy I talked to. She told me it was very confusing what the GS employee at the store did and after going through all the transactions she saw on her end, she apologized and credited me the 10,000 points.
Well that sucks, does your receipt show anything weird that they would have done? I haven't had anything post yet from my transaction Friday so I'll just wait to see how it shakes out. I hate contacting gamestop cs

Well that sucks, does your receipt show anything weird that they would have done? I haven't had anything post yet from my transaction Friday so I'll just wait to see how it shakes out. I hate contacting gamestop cs
Yes. The employee did a bunch of weird stuff that even the supervisor was confused about it all. Probably just that employee messing up. Others here should get the points no problem. If not, you'll have to call up CS.

Yes. The employee did a bunch of weird stuff that even the supervisor was confused about it all. Probably just that employee messing up. Others here should get the points no problem. If not, you'll have to call up CS.
Weird, I wonder what they did. I feel like there's only one way to do a trade and a purchase, but gamestop always finding new ways to be special

doesn’t the fat model do the same thing during the first update ?
Does it? Honestly, I can't remember. I thought the drive worked right out of the box for the "older" model without any online update. I could be wrong in which case I can cast out of my mind the crazy thought of wanting a second "fatter" PS5 as a spare that would avoid that DRM.

I noticed I only got points for the difference between the trade in and the new PS5. Got full points for the controller I bought with trade credit. Guess I'll call and see if they'll give me the full amount.

I noticed I only got points for the difference between the trade in and the new PS5. Got full points for the controller I bought with trade credit. Guess I'll call and see if they'll give me the full amount.
Yeah I am not sure if they are doing things differently now but the employee did a bunch of weird stuff to the receipt because after I bought the PS5 and used Trade Credit, I decided to use my $5 monthly coupon to buy a $10 PSN code and he proceeded to take back the receipt I just got and do a bunch of weird stuff to it. I then got another receipt for the PSN card I bought with a revised receipt for the PS5 purchase but again, only the psn receipt registered in the system as a purchase. The supervisor on the phone saw all the weird stuff that he did and gave me the 10,000 points.

Not sure if it's their new policy or it's store by store but probably the best thing to do is just trade in the console and get the credit and then go to a different GameStop and buy the PS5 there instead. This way it's a brand new receipt and no trade in is on the receipt. All you would be doing is using Trade Credit and like your controller, they should give you the full amount for the system which would be 10,000 points.

Yeah I am not sure if they are doing things differently now but the employee did a bunch of weird stuff to the receipt because after I bought the PS5 and used Trade Credit, I decided to use my $5 monthly coupon to buy a $10 PSN code and he proceeded to take back the receipt I just got and do a bunch of weird stuff to it. I then got another receipt for the PSN card I bought with a revised receipt for the PS5 purchase but again, only the psn receipt registered in the system as a purchase. The supervisor on the phone saw all the weird stuff that he did and gave me the 10,000 points.

Not sure if it's their new policy or it's store by store but probably the best thing to do is just trade in the console and get the credit and then go to a different GameStop and buy the PS5 there instead. This way it's a brand new receipt and no trade in is on the receipt. All you would be doing is using Trade Credit and like your controller, they should give you the full amount for the system which would be 10,000 points.
A system wide change, I’ve done a ton of trades the last few years and this has been in place at least since Jan 1st 2022, any time I trade in and use the credit right away vs getting it on a card and using it that way I get no points for the purchase. This goes for consoles, games, and accessories. If you are trading and making a purchase and care about the points, have them add the balance to a trade card, this always solves the issue.

Question.  Can reward certificate be used on sale item?  Also, if i want to go for the ps5 controller for in store pick up, get the $25 and $15 online certificate and i only have to pay $5 out of pocket?  A better question... does online certificate work sinc ei heard store before that they never really work

If you're worried about online rewards not working on something, redeem the lowest reward ($1) and see if it works. Worst case you're out $1 in rewards, but potentially saved you from a big headache.

On a side note, doesn't seem like I'm getting the PUR points for the PS5 purchase either. Had some points post from yesterday, but nothing from Friday still. Just weird because I paid partially with my credit card, so I should at least see something post for the purchase I would think. I'll wait a couple more days before contacting them.

If you're worried about online rewards not working on something, redeem the lowest reward ($1) and see if it works. Worst case you're out $1 in rewards, but potentially saved you from a big headache.

On a side note, doesn't seem like I'm getting the PUR points for the PS5 purchase either. Had some points post from yesterday, but nothing from Friday still. Just weird because I paid partially with my credit card, so I should at least see something post for the purchase I would think. I'll wait a couple more days before contacting them.
Hmm, can i also stack 3 reward certificate online as well or is it in store only

Question. Can reward certificate be used on sale item? Also, if i want to go for the ps5 controller for in store pick up, get the $25 and $15 online certificate and i only have to pay $5 out of pocket? A better question... does online certificate work sinc ei heard store before that they never really work
Hello, I redeemed for a $3 online certificate and it DOES NOT work on the reduced dualsense.

I didn't hear great things about the game, but Forspoken can be had for $12.50 with the in store pickup discount.  I didn't realize that was working on the 75% off games.  Would anyone recommend at this price?  

I didn't hear great things about the game, but Forspoken can be had for $12.50 with the in store pickup discount. I didn't realize that was working on the 75% off games. Would anyone recommend at this price?
I ended up buying it at that price. Surely it can't be that bad!

**EDIT**

I traded in my old PS5 and bought a Slim yesterday and haven't gotten my points yet. I don't see anywhere on the receipt where it says how many points I got, but I used my $5 certificate on the purchase during the trade-in so I know he had the right account. :/

I didn't hear great things about the game, but Forspoken can be had for $12.50 with the in store pickup discount. I didn't realize that was working on the 75% off games. Would anyone recommend at this price?
You should at least wait until this month's PS+ Extra/Premium games are announced if you're subscribed. I also noticed that the streaming for the Crisis Core: FF7 remaster trial isn't available there anymore, which suggests to me that that game is also a good candidate for being added to the Catalogue and they're clearing the space for it now.

You should at least wait until this month's PS+ Extra/Premium games are announced if you're subscribed. I also noticed that the streaming for the Crisis Core: FF7 remaster trial isn't available there anymore, which suggests to me that that game is also a good candidate for being added to the Catalogue and they're clearing the space for it now.
One would think they're either going to do a big Premium push of FF7 CC and possibly FF7R to promote FF7R-2, or, the other way around, make you have to buy them if you want them with the hype of FF7R-2 coming up.

To answer the request for an opinion on Forspoken, it's okay. I bought it for $20. Didn't love it but didn't hate it. Gameplay is a little too shooter-like for my liking, and the story's just isekai 101, though I enjoyed the opening in New York. I'd probably not recommend it unless you're just out of games to play and want an okay game to throw your time at.

bread's done
Back