The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I'd like to take advantage of the trade bonus while it's up, but don't have anything I need. I want to pre-order Suicide Squad but waiting to see if any stores get a steelbook. I have the Avatar CE ordered online. I don't want to cancel that order trying to get credit on it.

I was in the same boat but decided to just trade in a bunch of old games and some recent pick ups. I really only had Spider-Man 2 and Mario Wonder that were worth anything, but the other 7 games were ones I couldn't move on eBay for ages now so said screw it. Next time they do a B2G1F on used, I already have a few games I can spend this money on so there's that.

Just yesterday, GS associates from several different stores have been informing me that my 5% off perk on pre-owned games did not apply...at all. One guy jokingly said, "Pro without the Pro benefits." Is anyone else having issues with their GS Pro account lately?

Employee refused to take star wars battlefront PS4 today ($0.17 base) even though it rang up and did bump everything up. Luckily I brought a 5th game just in case this happened. But there is truly no minimum to the trade 4 promo.

Did they say why? I traded in Sunset Overdrive and that was 30 cents after bonus I think.

I'd like to take advantage of the trade bonus while it's up, but don't have anything I need. I want to pre-order Suicide Squad but waiting to see if any stores get a steelbook. I have the Avatar CE ordered online. I don't want to cancel that order trying to get credit on it.

Amazon has the Steelbook for Suicide Squad at least in Europe per a Reddit Post No confirmed US listing yet but here's hoping its Best Buy or Gamestop...

Ok I know this changes by the minute but as of 12/2 can someone help me fill in the blanks:

Digital Currency
Digital Games
Physical Items
Trade credit - In store
Yes​
Yes​
Yes​
Trade credit - Online
No​
No​
Yes​
$5 coupon - In store
No​
No​
Yes​
$5 coupon - Online
No​
No​
Yes​
Rewards coupons - Online
No​
No​
Yes​
Rewards coupons - in store
No​
No​
Yes​

Notes:
  • Cannot combine 2 of the same rewards coupons in one transaction
  • Why treat the customer this way? Why? Cause fuck em that's why.

Last edited:
Ok I know this changes by the minute but as of 12/2 can someone help me fill in the blanks:

digital currencyDigital gamesPhysical items
Trade credit
In store
Yes​
Trade credit online
No​
Yes​
$5 coupon
In store
Yes​
$5 coupon
No​
Rewards coupons online
Rewards coupons in store

Trade Credit in store is Yes Yes Yes
Trade Credit online is No No Yes
5 Coupon in store is No No Yes
5 Coupon Online is No No Yes
Rewards online is No No Yes
Rewards in store is No No Yes

This should SO be added to the OP.

Probably a long shot but anyone happen to trade in Tactics Ogre on the PS5? Somehow it is still grey after all this time which seems so odd. Hopefully it's still accepted to hit my 4 games

I did pick up Valhalla on the deal yesterday. Thanks for the notification on that. Been on my wish list for a while and couldn't pass up that price. Can't wait to listen to the score as well!

Double dip still works. Used my $5 monthly to grab my preorder of Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince for Switch yesterday & used the code again on a cheap used game on Gamestop.com (PS4 Marvel's Avengers) with In Store Pickup. I tried grabbing a $5 copy of Scarlet Nexus but the code doesn't work on Clearanced Items or most Sale Items online. Figure I can continue to use the extra $5 to grab a used game on the cheap to add to the collection.

damn it it seems gamestop has no copies of ass creed vahalla ps4 to ship smh. either i price match somewhere that has it or no dice it seems. guess i can use my monthly coupon on something else

Double dip still works. Used my $5 monthly to grab my preorder of Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince for Switch yesterday & used the code again on a cheap used game on Gamestop.com (PS4 Marvel's Avengers) with In Store Pickup. I tried grabbing a $5 copy of Scarlet Nexus but the code doesn't work on Clearanced Items or most Sale Items online. Figure I can continue to use the extra $5 to grab a used game on the cheap to add to the collection.
How long between when you went to an actual gamestop and then used the coupon online for in store pickup. I assume it's the same store you were just at?

What’s good to spend the $5 monthly coupon on now? The only thing I really see are Pokémon card packs for $5.
Gamestop is actually doing buy 2 get 1 free on Pokemon booster packs today, and I was already planning on going since I still need to get my flu shot, so that was perfect timing. I'm sure I'll pull nothing but garbage, but $5 for three packs is just a good time.

For someone who doesn't know much (re: anything?) about Pokemon cards...is there a particular booster pack that is better than another? Is it just best to buy whatever has the most recent release? Or is it completely irrelevant and just grab what's available?

Another question--with the console trade values posted in store ($175 for Series S), does have an additional bump for Pro members, or is that the top amount WITH Pro?

Redfall. Shave off $5, spend about $13, trade for $24.
Not a bad idea but I don’t have other games currently to get the 40% bump ☹️

For someone who doesn't know much (re: anything?) about Pokemon cards...is there a particular booster pack that is better than another? Is it just best to buy whatever has the most recent release? Or is it completely irrelevant and just grab what's available?
I’m with you. I haven’t kept up with Pokémon cards since I was a kid. Just thought about getting my kids some to have fun with.

What’s good to spend the $5 monthly coupon on now? The only thing I really see are Pokémon card packs for $5.
I got a Hello Kitty keychain to throw in with my niece's Christmas gifts. After coupon it still cost me a $1 😂, but they love those blind bags, so it's worth it.

Now to find anything with enough stock to do a double-dip.

So I just called the customer service number and I was expecting to be put on hold. It appeared to be fast for a Sunday and got connected immediately. I had an issue regarding redeeming my Nov $5 monthly coupon. The person issued 5K pts back into my account. This was all solved in under 6 mins!

The person that helped me out name was really named Mario! He mentioned how the Sunday was a long, slow day for their work.

So I just called the customer service number and I was expecting to be put on hold. It appeared to be fast for a Sunday and got connected immediately. I had an issue regarding redeeming my Nov $5 monthly coupon. The person issued 5K pts back into my account. This was all solved in under 6 mins!

The person that helped me out name was really named Mario! He mentioned how the Sunday was a long, slow day for their work.
One call, Mario. Next call, Luigi. CSRs have many aliases.

BUY SINGLES.

Seriously though, I don't closely follow the financial aspect of the Pokemon TCG and I really don't play the game much anymore (just buying for the art now), so I usually just grab the latest set and/or whichever set I don't have much of. I know that some sets become more valuable than others, based not only on contents but perceived pull rates and raw availability. The best sets are the special ones like Crown Zenith, 151, Shining Fates, the ones that have lots of special cards, but those ones' booster packs aren't sold individually. You can only get them in gift boxes, tins, and the like. Basically, if you're buying for a kid, you can get pretty much anything he/she doesn't already have a lot of (so if he/she has already gotten lots of Paldea Evolved packs for example, maybe avoid that one). As an adult, just check out the set list and see if anything appeals to you from a gameplay or art standpoint. And, if you're a reseller, well, fuck you.

I got three packs of Paradox Rift and only paid $5 thanks to the BOGO and my monthly, and I pulled two different $10 rares, so I'm a happy camper lol even if they weren't worth much though, I'd still be happy because they're very nice (this really cool gold Reversal Energy and this beautiful Illustration Rare Minior, which is a Pokemon I'm only familiar with from New Pokemon Snap lol).

Oh, and I asked about using the monthly on currency cards and the guy I'm very friendly with there checked the system...no dice. It's gone for good.

I went back to trade in 4 more old games that have been sitting for ages... honestly feels good to get rid of 12 games, I know I've got some more but I cannot find them for the life in me.

One call, Mario. Next call, Luigi. CSRs have many aliases.

Unless you call BestBuy, then you always get Steve.
qd7guqp07qj71.jpg

Welp, word from customer service...LP revoked my Pro membership which explains why my 5% off on pre-owned didn't kick in. Uncertain if due to return/repurchase or from all the trade-ins done during Black Friday week; CSR mentioned November 30th, so most likely the former. Funny how corporate can practically steal $25 from you on an algorithmic whim and without so much as a warning strike when there are literally anarchists looting GS stores without consequences. You try to follow the rules, bend them a little but never break them, yet the rule-makers deem you more criminal than the real thieves. Gotta wait up to a week for an appeal to process, and I still got shit to trade-in but no trade boost...If rejected, I'll proceed to file a chargeback.

redfall shows a trade in value of $8 on the website, dunno if its wrong or if it crashed.
They finally nerfed the trade-in value. It was up to Black Friday values when I checked this morning right before work. Am undoubtedly grateful the store I just went to didn't have a copy because I was this close to cash-in my 15K points...it was good while it lasted. Can now put a stake into Redfall, R.I.P.

Last edited:
They finally nerfed the trade-in value. It was up to Black Friday values when I checked this morning right before work. Am undoubtedly grateful the store I just went to didn't have a copy because I was this close to cash-in my 15K points...it was good while it lasted. Can now put a stake into Redfall, R.I.P.
the fact that it didnt tank during BF weekend is amazing in itself. mlb’s tanked before it even began

Went in and PMd the Ovechkin silver coin to $6 and used my $5 cert to get it for $2 after tax for a friend, so found something to use it on.

Welp, word from customer service...LP revoked my Pro membership which explains why my 5% off on pre-owned didn't kick in. Uncertain if due to return/repurchase or from all the trade-ins done during Black Friday week; CSR mentioned November 30th, so most likely the former. Funny how corporate can practically steal $25 from you on an algorithmic whim and without so much as a warning strike when there are literally anarchists looting GS stores without consequences. You try to follow the rules, bend them a little but never break them, yet the rule-makers deem you more criminal than the real thieves. Gotta wait up to a week for an appeal to process, and I still got shit to trade-in but no trade boost...If rejected, I'll proceed to file a chargeback.

How many return/repurchase and trade-ins did you do?

BUY SINGLES.

Seriously though, I don't closely follow the financial aspect of the Pokemon TCG and I really don't play the game much anymore (just buying for the art now), so I usually just grab the latest set and/or whichever set I don't have much of. I know that some sets become more valuable than others, based not only on contents but perceived pull rates and raw availability. The best sets are the special ones like Crown Zenith, 151, Shining Fates, the ones that have lots of special cards, but those ones' booster packs aren't sold individually. You can only get them in gift boxes, tins, and the like. Basically, if you're buying for a kid, you can get pretty much anything he/she doesn't already have a lot of (so if he/she has already gotten lots of Paldea Evolved packs for example, maybe avoid that one). As an adult, just check out the set list and see if anything appeals to you from a gameplay or art standpoint. And, if you're a reseller, well, fuck you.

I got three packs of Paradox Rift and only paid $5 thanks to the BOGO and my monthly, and I pulled two different $10 rares, so I'm a happy camper lol even if they weren't worth much though, I'd still be happy because they're very nice (this really cool gold Reversal Energy and this beautiful Illustration Rare Minior, which is a Pokemon I'm only familiar with from New Pokemon Snap lol).

Oh, and I asked about using the monthly on currency cards and the guy I'm very friendly with there checked the system...no dice. It's gone for good.
Haha. Not a reseller. Parent who had some as a middle schooler... now just trying to make sure I'm getting whatever is "best" for my kids all these years later. As you mentioned, some of the art on the cards is really unique. Thanks for the detailed response!

Edit as I constantly forget my thoughts: what does buy singles mean-- like buy specific single cards? That would certainly be direct if looking for a specific card, though I guess could get expensive.

bread's done
Back