The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I know you in the NYC area and I got mines on Christmas Eve when multiple stores had a pickup option. You obviously just gotta be quick but they do show up. I’m from Queens.
im in manhattan. sadly there are only 3 locations in manhattan so my options are limited around these parts. i miss the days where i had locations all around me

Like I said some stores aren’t checking the portals in because then ship from stores instantly come through. They have them, but pretty much sell to people who come in.

They just want to whine. If they spent half the time trying to get one as they do posting about how hard it is they would have one by now.

They just want to whine. If they spent half the time trying to get one as they do posting about how hard it is they would have one by now.
ah yes because its not like we have a life to live and have all the time in the world to constantly check for item we want. yes that must be it and im sure stores always have a secret stash that im missing out on

since you seem to have all of the time in the world maybe you can find me one 😃

ah yes because its not like we have a life to live and have all the time in the world to constantly check for item we want. yes that must be it and im sure stores always have a secret stash that im missing out on

I got mine on launch, been enjoying it too.

Here is some help, if you want hardware(or games) in the future, throw a few bucks down. This isn't 1998, you aren't going to be able to beat out scalpers with your ultra busy lifestyle of posting on cag. Save yourself the trouble and if you wind up not wanting those items, just don't pick them up.

It was available at target when they posted. I could’ve saved $40 with a 20% off coupon but resisted.
Saved yourself about 36 games you can get more enjoyment out of from the current promo. Besides, you already have a PS5. Why handicap your gaming experience from 4K60fps with stutter and lag...not to mention rigged scarcity? Plus, if your PS5 ever bricks the Portal becomes paper weight. Just call it a day and get the Switch, Deck, Ally, or Legion. With the latter three you can activate cheap steam keys and play certain games inaccessible through the Triple Entente, like PalWorld unless you already have an XSX. Did I forget to mention docked mode and mods, on non-Nintendo handhelds!? 😮 Oh, and Xbox Ultimate Game Pass for PC!? 😮 Best bang for your buck is there if you play your cards right. Pat yourself on the back for resisting temptations! 👏

Last edited:
$25 off $250, is that anything in-store or just select items?

I want to get me a Switch. There's only the white OLED and the blue/red non-OLED showing as eligible at my local store for online purchase with in-store pick up. I want a different color.

I want to get me a Switch. There's only the white OLED and the blue/red non-OLED showing as eligible at my local store for online purchase with in-store pick up. I want a different color.
You could check in store to see if they have any special edition ones, but there aren't any other colors bundled. Splatoon and Zelda and Pokemon have different colored, but themed, Joycons with them. The $25 off should work on a Switch though, but beware they'll probably try to sell you a 'free Pro membership' and use your $25 discount to charge you the $25 for the Pro membership. I saw that happen last month.

Last edited:
FYI the preorder dlc for Like A dragon Infinite wealth is a code inside the case. Won’t be printing on the receipt. Which I guess technically doesn’t really make it a preorder dlc since all physical copies will have it?

Oh, and having a dumb moment, you might also find some of the Smash or Mario Kart OLED bundles. Smash has grey controllers but Mario Kart will come with either one of the standard OLED (white, or blue/red) colors.

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/nintendo-switch/consoles should help narrow down what's available around you, though I've found their inventories to be spotty before so it's worth going into a store if you're nearby one while out doing other errands.

Well, went in and picked up another Alex Ovechkin silver coin for fifty cents with my $5 cert, I guess I found something to buy. It was kind of funny paying with 2 quarters, felt like the old days.

its a bad sign for gamestop that they have been constantly closing stores while not opening any and its been this way for years now
The signs have been bad for Gamestop for about a decade now. They've an antiquated business and their attempts to restructure have only hurt the business even more. Their pivot towards filling the stores with cheap toys has damaged their brand in all of my friends' minds. None of us have a desire to browse the stores anymore...and their website and making purchases there us nearly completely absurd.

There's really no hope for them. The stock price gave them some headwind...but they squandered any chance of turning the ship.

they should have bought gamefly with that cash and turned their stores into a place to return rented games. blockbuster near the end had a great deal between in store and online where you returned the online rental in store, got a free in store rental, and the next movie in your online queue shipped at the same time. of course that didn't help them, but im sure gamestop could use a steady supply of income from a subscription based model. they could even offer free 2020 madden rentals since that is all they have stocked in stores these days.

GameStop should've went harder w/ GameStop Impulse (their PC digital service which is now dead, in which they bought from Stardock after Stardock stopped competing w/ Steam).

If anyone could've tried to compete in the Digital Space, GameStop should've pushed harder. I think Amazon tried hard, but they also should've keep trying too. Amazon-Tony ruled!

Their writing's been on the wall since they closed GameStop Impulse, since that (digital downloads) has (sadly) always been the future for PC gaming and also now likely console gaming too. It was only a matter of time.

I have a Gamestop at a corner, and then another one in a shopping mall right across the street from it. I'm genuinely surprised that neither of them were on the chopping block. Especially since they closed the one at the mall nearest my house a few years ago (and then the mall itself closed recently).

I have a Gamestop at a corner, and then another one in a shopping mall right across the street from it. I'm genuinely surprised that neither of them were on the chopping block. Especially since they closed the one at the mall nearest my house a few years ago (and then the mall itself closed recently).
Metro Detroit? Probably the same everywhere

Whelp, redeemed all my points and my pro ends in 5 days, I think after that I’m officially no longer a customer. All their changes to Pro were so scummy, they removed the $50 reward certificate option at the same time they made the points expire, thus making it MUCH harder to use them. Honestly almost fraudulent in my mind.

bread's done
Back