The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
There are some weirdos like me out there. I've been buying Xbox games for more than 20 years and never really stopped.

(OG Xbox and 360 near the top; Xbox One and Xbox Series X games closer to the bottom.)

1707606514_1.jpg
Someone really needs to start a Game Room Thread. I'm curious of what your other shelves look like.

Humans need air, food and water to live. I suppose I'm pole smoking food, water and air now as well as whining. The 49ers and Chiefs are playing in the Super Bowl right now. Even if you couldn't care less about football or the 49ers or the Chiefs. I suppose I'm pole smoking the 49ers and Chiefs now.

I think Grand Theft Auto V is a terrible game. I almost stopped playing it three times and forced myself to beat it. I think Trevor is the worst video game character I've ever encountered. Well guess what? It's the biggest selling piece of entertainment in history. I'm clearly in the minority.
What The Hell Wtf GIF by The Lonely Island

Someone really needs to start a Game Room Thread. I'm curious of what your other shelves look like.

We used to have a game collecting thread, used to get posted in pretty often back in the day but like everything else in these forums outside of the deals section... it died.

Edit*

We used to have a game collecting thread, used to get posted in pretty often back in the day but like everything else in these forums outside of the deals section... it died.

Edit*
Oh cool! Damn sucks to find out about this so late. I always like seeing peoples game room. It's interesting to see the set-up and what others game on. Thanks

Prob missed the discussion but got shot down trying to use the $5 monthly PUR on Eshop credit today (in-store, NorCal). Also was told gift cards couldn't be used towards digital cards, but TIC could still. 🙄

*Get 20% Extra Trade Credit: Applies to trade credit only; excludes cash trades.
*Get $50 Extra In-Store Credit on Xbox Series X|S & P5 consoles: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades.

does anyone know if these stack if I preordered something like FF7 Rebirth, and if the current trade in value ($250/$275 for pro) includes that $50 or not? i might just go and see what they say but i'd assume with gamestop's stupid math they'd give like $350ish for an xbox series x

*Get 20% Extra Trade Credit: Applies to trade credit only; excludes cash trades.
*Get $50 Extra In-Store Credit on Xbox Series X|S & P5 consoles: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades.

does anyone know if these stack if I preordered something like FF7 Rebirth, and if the current trade in value ($250/$275 for pro) includes that $50 or not? i might just go and see what they say but i'd assume with gamestop's stupid math they'd give like $350ish for an xbox series x
The 20% bump only applies to games traded

how many copies of the same game can I do for a trade in? Want to get 2 copies of Disney Dreamlight from target with the deals for my gf to get the moonstones then trade them in

how many copies of the same game can I do for a trade in? Want to get 2 copies of Disney Dreamlight from target with the deals for my gf to get the moonstones then trade them in
It varies by store, but the official policy is to accept 1 copy per platform per visit. If you're getting two copies on the same platform, you'd have to go back later or the following day to trade in the remaining copy.

It varies by store, but the official policy is to accept 1 copy per platform per visit. If you're getting two copies on the same platform, you'd have to go back later or the following day to trade in the remaining copy.
Just to clarify official policy is 1 copy per game per visit. Some will interpret different console as different game, some won't.

Suggest you wait if they're both the PS5 versions bcuz:

FYI

There is a 50% extra trade credit for games coming up the week of 2/18.

Interesting is that it’s only for PS5 and Switch games only and no Xbox.

And bcuz GSLP might decide to trade ban you, might as well be during the gold rush just to be safe.

Last edited:
I haven't been up to date on a lot of this stuff in a while. I see GS is offering $275 +$50 TIC for my Series X. Would this be the best time to trade it in, or should I wait? I'm hoping to pre-order the Switch 2 once its get announced. I know Xbox has an podcast coming up? and I did see the xbox digital leak a while back. Just trying to maximize my TIC TBH.

impossible to know best time, it's always possible to go up or down. if you're satisfied with current price then do it, but no guarantees. If tons of people sell it'll go down, but if stock gets low in future it might go up again.

Gamestop.com is one of the only places that has Raiden III Maniax (PS5 & NS) in stock at msrp, Actually it's below at $30. Good price, but chances of getting a sealed copies are probably slim.

I haven't been up to date on a lot of this stuff in a while. I see GS is offering $275 +$50 TIC for my Series X. Would this be the best time to trade it in, or should I wait? I'm hoping to pre-order the Switch 2 once its get announced. I know Xbox has an podcast coming up? and I did see the xbox digital leak a while back. Just trying to maximize my TIC TBH.
to hold on to it too long is a risk imo. if the rumors are revealed to be true i would dump the xbox as soon as its announced because gamestop will get flooded with trade ins so the tiv’s will tank. the fact that xbox games is are not eligible for the 50% extra credit next week is concerning

Well, Nintendo has 2 of the top 3 selling systems of all time and that Switch that you hate is currently third all time so obviously they're doing something right.

I missed your reply from the other day. nintendo makes up stats and lies to 'fluff' their sales. Decades ago wii sports was the 'best selling game ever!' except it was never sold, it was free. The switch 'console' is only high selling because they cut off and ended the 3DS line. Of course consolitating a handheld and a 'console' into one unit would increases sales.

I don't hate on the switch as far as games are concerned. I just choose to 'vote with my wallet'. I don't respect a company, no matter who they are, who uses cheap and shoddy hardware and overcharges for it. I've said this for years... if they made a 'switch pro' with 4K, a real GPU, hell even 1080p in handheld mode, with a good solid body, sign me up! I'd pay $400-500 for it.

Last edited:
i traded my series x today for $275 + $50 so $325 as expected. my lapsed pro renewal was only $20 so bumping the xbox from $250 -> $275 was a free $5 profit in monopoly money and they said id get the first monthly coupon on march 1st. i hadnt renewed for probably over 6 months and didn't intend to otherwise... we'll see if gamestop survives a full year i guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't hate on the switch as far as games are concerned. I just choose to 'vote with my wallet'. I don't respect a company, no matter who they are, who uses cheap and shoddy hardware and overcharges for it. I've said this for years... if they made a 'switch pro' with 4K, a real GPU, hell even 1080p in handheld mode, with a good solid body, sign me up! I'd pay $400-500 for it.
What's your opinion on the Rog Ally Extreme? Seems like the sweet spot, minus the 4K.

thats a very bad sign imo. i hope im wrong though. they might be expecting a ton of xbox trade ins depending on what spencer says tomorrow

Last time I went into my GameStop the Switch shelves were very bare. They were really spacing out those cases to try and make it look not as bad. PlayStation not as bad, Xbox plenty of supply.

it’s supply and demand, no demand for Xbox physical. But that’s what Xbox has wanted.

Last edited:
I feel like the Switch and the Xbxox series S (digital whatever its called) are targeted at consumers (parents) that don't know gaming and simply worry about price point.

Also, we will see today, Still feel like the X is going to announce on X that they have a handheld coming...game pass subscriptions for all

What's your opinion on the Rog Ally Extreme? Seems like the sweet spot, minus the 4K.

I know OF that device and the steam deck. They seem super cool, my understanding is it‘s a portable PC/game boy basically. Nowadays, even though I have a monster rig with 4090, top of the line yadda yadda, I still don’t PC game at all. I just like new toys…

Currently playing Hogwarts on PS5 at the moment with a gazillion game backlog.

What do you think of it? I just beat that game a couple weeks ago. I thought It was very good. Even for someone with no Harry Potter knowledge like myself. Lots of stuff to do in the world. Getting the platinum looks like a tall order.

I know OF that device and the steam deck. They seem super cool, my understanding is it‘s a portable PC/game boy basically. Nowadays, even though I have a monster rig with 4090, top of the line yadda yadda, I still don’t PC game at all. I just like new toys…

What was nice about the Steam Deck was buying it was like buying a brand new console, but I already have a ton of games for (was without a desktop or a gaming laptop for years and years, but kept buying bundles along the way as a CAG does :LOL: )

Not gonna lie but I can see why they made 50% trade in for PS5 and switch. Some locations have next to none stock so it's bare ones while Xbox has a lot
Once the video game industry makes a full deep dive into digital is when GameStop will truly live up to its name. Also find it ironic how MS saved GS from bankruptcy only to then contribute to its emergency life support by pushing all-digital via XBGPU and the XSS/XSX refresh.

Last edited:
What do you think of it? I just beat that game a couple weeks ago. I thought It was very good. Even for someone with no Harry Potter knowledge like myself. Lots of stuff to do in the world. Getting the platinum looks like a tall order.

Honestly... I kind of hate it. I'm 82% complete and over 60 hours in of gameplay. I can write paragraphs about it honestly to be super thorough though it would be too much right now.

Last year I watched all of the eight movies in the HP Series. Then literally toured England and Scotland several months ago. You know Hagrid's Hut at the bottom of the hill by hogwarts? I was there in real life. Tom Riddle's grave? Check. Enjoyed the story and the lore of the HP series.

My main beef is the gameplay and that 'ubisoft esque' stretching of side quests / filler missions. Loathe the loot systen, randomized chests no matter where you are. The XP system, where you're limited to what you can earn and have to do their in game checklists to level up your character. That you can basically max out your skills and power not even halfway through the game so the actual gameplay becomes stale early on.

As far as story goes, it's pretty decent. The lore and side quest background stories keep me going. I am a completionist though, and Tales of Arise felt the same to me... I loved both of them early on. Then I got burned out halfway through, 'suffered' through the second half just to finish the game. And you're right, I don't look forward to finishing the platinum. The merlin trials stop rewarding XP halfway into the game so you're literally forced to do filler 'quests' for a bronze trophy.

Last edited:
Honestly... I kind of hate it. I'm 82% complete and over 60 hours in of gameplay. I can write paragraphs about it honestly to be super thorough though it would be too much right now.

Last year I watched all of the eight movies in the HP Series. Then literally toured England and Scotland several months ago. You know Hagrid's Hut at the bottom of the hill by hogwarts? I was there in real life. Tom Riddle's grave? Check. Enjoyed the story and the lore of the HP series.

My main beef is the gameplay and that 'ubisoft esque' stretching of side quests / filler missions. Loathe the loot systen, randomized chests no matter where you are. The XP system, where you're limited to what you can earn and have to do their in game checklists to level up your character. That you can basically max out your skills and power not even halfway through the game so the actual gameplay becomes stale early on.

As far as story goes, it's pretty decent. The lore and side quest background stories keep me going. I am a completionist though, and Tales of Arise felt the same to me... I loved both of them early on. Then I got burned out halfway through, 'suffered' through the second half just to finish the game. And you're right, I don't look forward to finishing the platinum. The merlin trials stop rewarding XP halfway into the game so you're literally forced to do filler 'quests' for a bronze trophy.
Oh wow. You really put time in. I was at 39 hours when I beat it. I skipped almost all of the grey side quests though. I just did the story and 3 of the long quests with your friends from class. There are way too many things to do and while the world is cool to explore. I didn't want to do so much extra. Yeah I did enough of the trails to upgrade my inventory twice and skipped the rest. Sorry I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to characters, but it's cool as a fan you got to visit places from the movies. That's gotta be awesome.

Yeah when I beat the game I was at level 32 or so and was able to wipe out most hoards with a simple combo. Curse- spread curse- killing beam. Lol! I enjoyed the story and will eventually watch the movies. I saw there are like 10. So I'll take my time getting to them. I'll never put the time in for the Plat, but it was a fun ride for me. Thanks for sharing. You might as well go for 100%.

TIVs are being reevaluated before the 18th gold rush. Earlier this week. Spider-Man 2 could potentially get you $60; now, $50. Suicide Squad was also $60; now, "[n]o trade values could be found for this item." Metroid Prime Remastered dropped from $50 to $36...If you've been considering on buying games locally to flip or have already been doing so thus far, hold.

Edit: I didn't math right cuz math is very hard. Corrections as follows:

Spider-Man 2 - initial base TIV of $30, potential bonus TIV of $45; current base TIV of $25, projected bonus TIV of $37.50
Suicide Squad - initial base TIV of $30, potential bonus TIV of $45; "No trade values could be found for this item" still outlined
Metroid Prime Remastered - initial base TIV of $25, potential TIV of $37.50; current base TIV of $18, projected bonus TIV of $27

Last edited:
Once the video game industry makes a full deep dive into digital is when GameStop will truly live up to its name. Also find it ironic how MS saved GS from bankruptcy only to then contribute to its emergency life support by pushing all-digital via XBGPU and the XSS/XSX refresh.
Tbh we all knew this day would come at some point or another. It's just most still refuse to accept that fact unfortunately but the beauty in all of it is the hobby will still continue strong

TIVs are being reevaluated before the 18th gold rush. Earlier this week. Spider-Man 2 could potentially get you $60; now, $50. Suicide Squad was also $60; now, "[n]o trade values could be found for this item." Metroid Prime Remastered dropped from $50 to $36...If you've been considering on buying games locally to flip or have already been doing so thus far, hold.
It's just like how most tanked in price like Wii Sports. Give it another year or two when people start wanting more wii it will jump back in value

I missed your reply from the other day. nintendo makes up stats and lies to 'fluff' their sales. Decades ago wii sports was the 'best selling game ever!' except it was never sold, it was free. The switch 'console' is only high selling because they cut off and ended the 3DS line. Of course consolitating a handheld and a 'console' into one unit would increases sales.

That's not entirely true to the bolded. You should probably quick check first to make sure you are not posting misinformation. This is of course being generous and assuming you didn't do this purpously.

Yes originally the game was bundled with wiis. However it was later sold by itself. Yes they are definitely attributing sales numbers to the bundles with systems. But not all of them are.

Damn some of the games I've been holding dropped too. Not significantly, but basically what it would have traded with the 20% pre order boost. At least I don't have to pre order something now I guess.

bread's done
Back