The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I would 100% recommend everyone here with a PS5 does this. I think the slim is so much better than the launch PS5 and is an even better deal than when I did it 4 months ago. Just remember to take out any physical games and if you have extra storage.

Is anyone aware of a $5 or 50% bonus on games? I traded in RE Village for PS5 ($10 base) and it rang up at $15 trade value ($16 with Pro). The bonus code was #29845 if that helps anyone. I did not need to do any pre-orders to get this

QtKeO8L.png

2CGrwNk.png

Traded in an older blue dualsense and got $49. Crazy to get that much considering I think I got it for $40 or $45. Have a galactic purple new in a box I got on black friday a couple years ago. $5 bump on games working too

Also traded original disc ps4 for $410. Threw in a couple 5 base tiv ps4 games and those worked for the +5. Predictably, the bonus did not apply to a ps5 game with $4 base.

Already submitted an order for pickup for the slim. Didn't want to miss the window today in case something gets changed tomorrow.

Last edited:
Why didn't you guys just buy it in the store? The $25 off works there too. Also, be aware that store pickups are only held for 3 days. Even though the email will tell you it's held for 7. That used to be the case, but not anymore.

Why didn't you guys just buy it in the store? The $25 off works there too. Also, be aware that store pickups are only held for 3 days. Even though the email will tell you it's held for 7. That used to be the case, but not anymore.
To save another $5 via monthly cert in an online order and also trigger possible cashback (trying bing this time). ..I'm cheap.

$27 for a launch series x controller and another $22 for a X1 controller is too good. Plus someone dumped a bunch of Wii games, grabbed Arc Rise Fantasia CIB for $50.

Thanks for whoever first posted the trade bump on the PS5, didn’t think I’d be getting a new slim this morning but between trading in my disc console and disc version of Spider-Man 2 for the slim that includes the Spider-Man 2 download it basically came out to an even trade with bonuses. I was still on my launch console which didn’t have any issues yet but I’ll gladly take a new console and warranty basically even up.

The $5 bonus works as advertised, but I did not receive a $5 bonus on either of the nintendo wii remote or nunchuck. My wii remote did not have a motionplus attachment, so that may be the reason, or more likely the $5 bonus on controllers only works on current/last gen only. Receipt attached.

Attachments

• gs.jpg
    gs.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 65
Gonna keep rocking my SM2 edition console and themed controller with the Venom controller holder by Cable Guys. The sheer size and weight of the PS5 has grown on me, almost iconic this generation. As others have admitted, I also think the Slim is "ugly" as well as cheap-looking. Notice the white plates are not uniformly made of the same texture. One pair is matte while the other is scratch and fingerprint magnetic, just...why Sony...already have SM2 physical and cannot swap over the SM2 plates onto the Slim. Official Deep Earth collection is shiny but meh. If Pro is 1.0 plates compatible, I might consider dipping. Until then, the Slim is an easy pass.

Last edited:
Setting up the slim, and maybe I’m the only one, but it may be even uglier than the original lmao…
The OG looks better, imho. That, and while not a big deal, I do like still that the OG and the OG-model refresh don't require internet for the disc drives to be paired. It's effectively the last PS console that can be setup without an internet connection.

The $5 bonus works as advertised, but I did not receive a $5 bonus on either of the nintendo wii remote or nunchuck. My wii remote did not have a motionplus attachment, so that may be the reason, or more likely the $5 bonus on controllers only works on current/last gen only. Receipt attached.

Only games are specified as part of the promo.

Edit: didn't see there's another promo that is controller specific.

I don’t mind the look of it, I do really appreciate how much smaller it looks on my desk though. I will say this though, something about the center black plastic that is almost too shiny making it look like some type of knockoff product you’d find at 5 Below.

Last edited:
Tempting to do the slim deal. Just not sure if I’m too lazy to reset the old one, take out storage, set up the new one, download all the games again.

I’m a CAG but also a LAG (lazy ass gamer). 😃

Also haven’t even finished the first Spidey.

Tempting to do the slim deal. Just not sure if I’m too lazy to reset the old one, take out storage, set up the new one, download all the games again.

I’m a CAG but also a LAG (lazy ass gamer). 😃

Also haven’t even finished the first Spidey.
When I did it around black Friday my internal SSD that I added was plug and play with the new console. Sounds like you added one too, so if you just move everything off internal SSD to that one you won't have to download anything again. Was super easy to do.

When I did it around black Friday my internal SSD that I added was plug and play with the new console. Sounds like you added one too, so if you just move everything off internal SSD to that one you won't have to download anything again. Was super easy to do.
LOL. I have both internal and SSD filled to the brim.

Anyway, still thinking about it. Though I may only have a few hours to do so if the TIV change tomorrow.

Going to be waiting a while:

View attachment 431

Honestly... crazy to think that, this commercial came out with the PS2... and we're now at the PS5, and past the half-way point to PS9. Crazy to think how far things have come and crazier to think where they might go. By the time PS9 comes out, I'll likely be an old man unable to game and prob won't care because you won't be able to own anything/everything will be subscription based.

Setting up my slim. Very worthwhile for me due to the smaller form factor and refreshed controller/warranty. As far as ugliness, I would call the original a 4/10 and this slim might be a 3.9/10, but I don't care. It's not a display piece for me. After installing a 4tb sn850x, it's a nice fairly compact 5tb machine. I also don't carry a ps+ sub but transferring saves was easy through the backup and restore settings. I'll be resuming my rebirth playthrough this evening.

Last edited:
I would 100% recommend everyone here with a PS5 does this. I think the slim is so much better than the launch PS5 and is an even better deal than when I did it 4 months ago. Just remember to take out any physical games and if you have extra storage.

Why do you say this, the size? I have a launch model and also a PS5 Spider-Man bundle slim still in the box from the target christmas sale.

In my eyes the launch is best. It’s the true and original model that has the better heatsink.

Just did the PS5 trade and it rung up $410 no issues. New console was $41 after tax (may vary).

What was the trade deal specifically?

Last edited:
I really hope there's no Pro. Bots and scalpers are already prepping to cut the lines, and if the PS5 launch is any definitive proof, Sony won't give a 🦆 as to whoever gets their next consoles. Even the Portal was challenging to get, and it's flex trash...Expect to wait another year or two for "stock to normalize" on the Pro and PS6. Sony's bad behavior, pandering to politics, laying off employees, while enabling scummy opportunists aren't worth supporting let alone paying at MSRP.

"Play [Has] Limits"---Sony irl.
Unfortunately it will be a vicious circle. Look at what occured with recent SpongeBob Series X via BB at $699.99 msrp. Sold out instantly despite limited quantities

Gonna leave this here: https://www.gamestop.com/pro-credit-card

What're ya'll thoughts?

As if a hard inquiry isn't enough, corporate still expects you to pay $25 annually for Pro just so you can maintain that 4% cashback redemption rate. GS business model ain't Amazon and surely not consumer-friendly like Target with their credit and debit cards, respectively. Theoretically tho...if your account has been compromised or terminated, this revamped program can potentially wipe your record clean, but is it worth going thru the hoops, possibly get denied and decrease your score, with the uncertainty that LP will ban you again for whatever reasons in the future?

Last edited:
Gonna leave this here: https://www.gamestop.com/pro-credit-card

As if dinging your credit score wasn't enough, corporate still expects you to pay $25 annually for Pro just so you can maintain that 4% cashback redemption rate. GS business model ain't Amazon and surely not consumer-friendly like Target with their credit and debit cards, respectively. Theoretically tho...if your account has been compromised or terminated, this revamped program can potentially wipe your record clean, but you gotta go thru hoops.

What're ya'll thoughts?
Why would you get this when the Citi double cash credit card exists? It gives 2% back on all purchases and it can be used as a cash statement credit, not GameStop funny money. I personally have a rule that I don’t open a new credit line unless I am getting $250 for opening the line.

I’m sure they’ll be pushing the credit card in stores now. But anyone that trusts GameStop’s systems with their SSN is a fucking idiot.

Why would you get this when the Citi double cash credit card exists? It gives 2% back on all purchases and it can be used as a cash statement credit, not GameStop funny money. I personally have a rule that I don’t open a new credit line unless I am getting $250 for opening the line.

I’m sure they’ll be pushing the credit card in stores now. But anyone that trusts GameStop’s systems with their SSN is a fucking idiot.
I currently have the PayPal "World Elite" Mastercard (which doesn't waive foreign transaction fees...) that gives 3% back on all PayPal purchases and 2% everything else. Is there currently an intro bonus for the Citi Double Cash?

GS has hurt many of us, I understand personally. I'm just trying to spread awareness and read what you guys have to say about their card, good or bad.

And tbh, I'm otf cuz my Pro account is still permabanned with a workaround just around the corner. I'm really feeling the fomo when you guys celebrate during the promo deals and TIV bonuses...

Last edited:
Would it be worth trading in PS5 I got from the God of War bundle (Nov 2021)? I already own Spider-Man 2 and was planning on selling the code. I'm primarily looking to get the new warranty and new controller.

bread's done
Back