The 21st Birthday is Coming Up and I Need Some Advice

mvp828

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Well, my birthday is on Thanksgiving Day and I am going out with a huge group of people the night before... To prevent dying and absolutely missing all of Thanksgiving Day what should I be doing to prep myself?

So far I have thought about doing these things:

1) Drinking every other night from now until then to prep my body and adjust it to alcohol. (Since the last time I drank anything was about 4 months ago)

2) I know I must eat a bunch of food that day I go out.

3) I plan on drinking water all day for the next week to make sure that my hydration is good.

What else should I do?

You can't build up your tolerance that fast, and that much binge drinking is not good for the body so scrap that idea.

1. Eat a lot of food that night, particularly breads and other carbohydrates that will soak up alcohol.

2. Don't drink too much that night, don't try to do 21 shots or stupid shit like that. Get nice and shitfaced and have a good time, but don't over do it to where you spend the whole next day vomitting.

3. Drink a TON of water and take some vitamin B and C when you get home. Eat more carbs if you can to soak up remaining alcohol in the stomach. I find spicy hot V8 to help stave off hang overs as well, not that I drink a ton very often any more being a boring 30 year old! I drink often, but seldom more than 2-4 beers.

[quote name='mvp828']Well, my birthday is on Thanksgiving Day and I am going out with a huge group of people the night before... To prevent dying and absolutely missing all of Thanksgiving Day what should I be doing to prep myself?

So far I have thought about doing these things:

1) Drinking every other night from now until then to prep my body and adjust it to alcohol. (Since the last time I drank anything was about 4 months ago)

2) I know I must eat a bunch of food that day I go out.

3) I plan on drinking water all day for the next week to make sure that my hydration is good.

What else should I do?[/QUOTE]

1) I agree with the previous post about not being able to build up tolerance that fast. Don't bother.

2) Yes, make sure you eat plenty of high carb foods (breads, pasta, etc.) to help metabolize the alcohol.

3) Always drink water before, during and after.

4) Drink SLOWLY! You will actually get just as drunk, but be less susceptible to hangover. You will allow the alcohol to process and feel the "buzz", but be less likely to have a nasty hangover the next morning.

5) Maybe it's just me, but I notice I am less likely to be hung over when I drink clear liquors such as vodka or white rum (high quality tequila works too) than beer or cheap liquor. Life is too short to drink cheap liquor!!

Make sure you down a liter or so of water before you pass out for the night.

Don't mix your alcohol with energy drinks; it's a recipe for disaster.

Keep your cell phone close, and call your ex girlfriends when you get good and hammered.

It is weird, cause I get drunk off beer, where liquor doesn't really do much to me (unless it is dark rum). Also I don't get hangovers from beer, but I do from liquor. My usualy hangover consists of a headache for about 3-4 hours. I will have to try to tone it down, but I have a feeling it won't work. Luckily my DD is my dad so he will prevent me from getting too shitfaced.

Also, I wasn't really saying drinking every night to get hammered, but maybe just a couple shots so that my body is a little used to it.

I do have my size as an advantage too since I am about 6'5 and 215.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']How about you don't be a $$$$$$, and don't use your 21st birthday as an excuse to act like a fucking retard.

So typical.[/quote]

Let me guess daddy issues?? Or is it you are jealous because you don't have friends??

Who said I was gonna act like a retard, I don't need to drink to have fun, and the only reason I am going out is because it is my 21st birthday. Up until now I have only been drunk 4 times and 2 of them were weddings where I was the best man and the other 2 were with my brothers at their houses.

So go troll somewhere else.

Clear liquors are a good choice. Tequilla, light rum, vodka, and gin are all good choices.

For god sakes, drink a good beer like Blue Moon, Heineken, or something else with some flavor instead of downing cheap bottles of Bud.

All sound advice. Just listen to what your body is telling you. Start early and pace yourself. That way everyone has all their opportunity to buy you drinks and it's not rushed. And definitely take something when you get home. Drinking a good amount of water to flush the system, I sometimes pre-emptively pop two aspirins when I get home before bed. No way you want to feel queasy all through Thanksgiving dinner!

Do NOT take aspirin, acetominophin, or naproxin (or anything esle that affects your liver) when you've been drinking. Your liver will end up a rotted mess after a couple years.

Aspirin is also a blood thinner. Your body will not appreciate it after a couple decades.

[quote name='depascal22']
For god sakes, drink a good beer like Blue Moon, Heineken, or something else with some flavor instead of downing cheap bottles of Bud.[/QUOTE]

Oy, my inner beer snob cries at Blue Moon and Heineken being called good beers. :(

I'm as much of a beer snob as anyone but there's nothing wrong with Heineken or Blue Moon. I'm more of a Sierra Nevada guy but those are pretty good beers to throw out there because they're in every bar in America.

[quote name='depascal22']I'm as much of a beer snob as anyone but there's nothing wrong with Heineken or Blue Moon. I'm more of a Sierra Nevada guy but those are pretty good beers to throw out there because they're in every bar in America.[/QUOTE]

I guess, I can't stand either, especially Heineken. Sierra Nevada is ok, it's one of my fall backs (along with Sam Adams) when I'm somewhere that I can't find any good micro brews or imports.

I'm into imperial stouts and IPAs mainly. Dig a good Belgian abbey ale as well.

[quote name='depascal22']Red Hook Longhammer is a good IPA for a cheap price.

I can't argue with Sam. I drank alot of it when I lived in NY.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that ones ok. My favorites are the Stone Ruination (though that's a double IPA. and pricey at $14.99 a six pack around here), the Stone IPA, and the Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale (when it's out).

Imperial Stouts I love the Stone Russian Imperial, the North Coast Brewing Co. Old Rasputin and the Oscar Blues Ten Fiddy.

For belgian abbey ales I dig Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale, McChouffe Artisan Belgian Brown and Delirium Nocturnum.

I don't really care about cheap price when it comes to beer. It's one of my main pleasures/hobbies in life so I don't mind splurging on a $15 six pack, or a $8-15 on a large bottle of a good microbrew or import.

Haha.. I actually don't mind that it got a little hi-jacked... In fact I will surely become a frequent poster in the other one.

Thanks for the advice to all of you, I will be sure to post back with the results.

For the most part I think it will be a shot night, so I should be okay. My only fear is that we go to the hockey game like we are planning on and I get too much beer in me thanks to $1 Beer and $1 Hot dogs.

LOL, those pre-emptive plans are cute but pointless. If you're in for a night of drinking, have a greasy meal for dinner about 2-3 hours before you go out. Don't go crazy with drinks for 2 reasons:
1) Your body will tell when you need to slow down or stop if you pace yourself
2) No one likes a sloppy drunk

Since you're sticking with shots, you're in a good position to follow the rule of drinking a glass of water for every serving of alcohol. This will help with the hangover and pacing yourself. Beyond that, you have a DD so live it up since you only turn 21 once.

By the way, did you know that the night before Thanksgiving is THE busiest bar night of the year? Even more so than New Years Eve and St. Pattys day.

Don't over do it and if you are with friends you will have a good time, but if any them recommend you try the "Three Wise Men" just say no and never trust that person again.

[quote name='Wombat']Don't over do it and if you are with friends you will have a good time, but if any them recommend you try the "Three Wise Men" just say no and never trust that person again.[/quote]

Same is true for a Four Horseman, Cement Mixer, Flatliner, and just about anything that involves Bacardi 151 that you don't light on fire. There's always one clown that tries to get the birthday boy to try a bunch of disgusting shots.

Remember liquor before beer, you're in the clear. Beer before liquor, never been sicker.

[quote name='QiG']
By the way, did you know that the night before Thanksgiving is THE busiest bar night of the year? Even more so than New Years Eve and St. Pattys day.[/quote]

QiG, I actually did know that, that's why we are going out that night instead of waiting until Thanksgiving night. I will be sure to live it up and tell you guys how it went.

[quote name='Wombat']Don't over do it and if you are with friends you will have a good time, but if any them recommend you try the "Three Wise Men" just say no and never trust that person again.[/quote]

Three Wise Men? Is that Jack, Jim and Jose?

[quote name='kaw']Same is true for a Four Horseman, Cement Mixer, Flatliner, and just about anything that involves Bacardi 151 that you don't light on fire. There's always one clown that tries to get the birthday boy to try a bunch of disgusting shots.[/quote]

Unfortunately at my party it won't be just one clown, it will probably be all of them but my dad (who is the DD).

I believe its Jack, Jim and Johnny. Also what is the shot called where the bartender wipes up the bar with a towel then squeezes it into a shot glass? It is the grossest thing ever, and I refused to drink that when I turned 21.

I dont know who this group of people includes but you never know so DONT FORGET THE CONDOMS!

You never know who you might meet, you can thank me later.

Make sure you eat before and during the drinking. it will make your Birthday and thanksgiving a lot more pleasant. Also, make sure you do a shot of Jagger.

Just be careful...by the time me and my best friend got back to my apartment for my 21sts...i had 80 bucks of liquor alone in my system, and was fucked up.I had a beer when we got in. My friend was so worried that he slept on the floor at the foot of the bed, and no sooner than 30 mins after I passed out, he heard me puking in my sleep. Thank god he woke me up or I probably would have asphyxiated. I ended up sleeping on the floor in the living room covered up shaking from the cold sweat

[quote name='Wombat']I believe its Jack, Jim and Johnny. Also what is the shot called where the bartender wipes up the bar with a towel then squeezes it into a shot glass? It is the grossest thing ever, and I refused to drink that when I turned 21.[/QUOTE]

New Jersey Turnpike. It's usually free.:)

Three Wise Men can be almost any liquors that have a proper name as a brand really. Another thing to remember is that a bartender may know different recipes for the same drink, ie a Liquid Cocaine. But try a Red Headed Slut, jager, peach schnapps and cranberry juice...made right and its like a peach and cranberry tea. Or a Starry Night (aka Black Hole, Golden Nazi), which is jager and gold schlager.

I have heard that if you take a pepcid ac before drinking you won't get drunk so quickly. But I have never tried it. So at your own risk I guess. Anyway don't get so drunk they need to take you to the hospital and make you drink that charcoal stuff.

Thanks for the additional tips guys. As for Black Friday, if I end up drinking more on Thursday night than I will be the guy on CNN punching little kids to get the best video game deals.

Matt, don't listen to the people saying to eat a big meal before drinking. You'll throw up. Eat a small to medium sized meal a couple hours before going out. Make sure you eat a good sized meal after drinking and before bed. Even munch on stuff while drinking. Powerade/Gatorade is great for rehydration when you wake up.

Trust me... Up until a few years ago, I drank heavily on a nightly basis. I'm not proud of it, but I learned a lot.

[quote name='depascal22']Do NOT take aspirin, acetominophin, or naproxin (or anything esle that affects your liver) when you've been drinking. Your liver will end up a rotted mess after a couple years.

Aspirin is also a blood thinner. Your body will not appreciate it after a couple decades.[/QUOTE]

This. Just stay hydrated before and after drinking.

Be safe and have fun! Chances are that you're not going to remember a lot of procedures and the do's and don'ts of proper drinking, so just pace yourself. When you start feeling sick you know you've had enough.

Drink slow. Nurse your beers and forget about anybody giving you shit for it. This way you can get to the point where you start feeling warm and fuzzy. When you get there, stop drinking. If the room starts spinning, you notice yourself slurring words, or you go to take a piss and see a shit stain on the front of your pants: you drank too much.

Stay away from hard liquor. You'll get a false sense of non-drunkenness and drink too many.

well if you take girly shots, then you will prob last longer, if you take stuff like three wisemen you will be hurting sooner, yack early and just hang out. I can barely remember anything from my 21st, it was bad. There was no way I could have functioned the next day for Thanksgiving.

I heard if you drink a cup of olive oil you'll be able to drink all night and not get faded. Never tried it myself but i heard it from a NV supreme court judge(which was my professor at the time).

Get some gold schlager, a nice good tasting creeper.
Have fun and chill. Get a whore while you're at it and run a train with your friends.

[quote name='mvp828']Let me guess daddy issues?? Or is it you are jealous because you don't have friends??

Who said I was gonna act like a retard, I don't need to drink to have fun, and the only reason I am going out is because it is my 21st birthday. Up until now I have only been drunk 4 times and 2 of them were weddings where I was the best man and the other 2 were with my brothers at their houses.

So go troll somewhere else.[/quote]

Drunk already four times?... No, no one is jealous of your friends...a good friend wouldn't let you drink if you were underage. Good parents and adults wouldn't either. Maybe that's why you need to ask people you don't know on the internet?

Honestly, if you're going to drink, just drink. If you're having to come online and ask people how to prepare yourself for some party, you're already telling yourself that you're going to go too far. That's just plain stupid. If you don't need it to have fun, then don't drink that much. Treat it the same as any other drink and have 1 or two if needed. Going any further just proves you have no self control.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Drunk already four times?... No, no one is jealous of your friends...a good friend wouldn't let you drink if you were underage. Good parents and adults wouldn't either. Maybe that's why you need to ask people you don't know on the internet?

Honestly, if you're going to drink, just drink. If you're having to come online and ask people how to prepare yourself for some party, you're already telling yourself that you're going to go too far. That's just plain stupid. If you don't need it to have fun, then don't drink that much. Treat it the same as any other drink and have 1 or two if needed. Going any further just proves you have no self control.[/quote]

Well then I guess 75% of parents are horrible right... Well at least that's apparently your theory and the fact that 75% of high schoolers have had at least one drink.

Let me guess, you don't drink because your mommy and daddy told you that it was bad and that if you did it you would become an addicted gambler and lose your wife and kids.

As for asking people on the internet, it is simple. You ask people who have had similar experiences. I never came out and said, "Oh I am gonna get fucked up and throw shit and punch ladies at the club on my 21st..." No, I simply asked for what would be the best way to go about celebrating knowing that Thanksgiving is the next day and I have to go to two Thanksgiving dinners (my gf's family and my own).

I am truely sorry if you missed out on going out on your 21st and in return decide to trash other people's posts because you think your are being responsible.

bread's done
Back