The "80GB PS3 Won't Play This PS2 Game" Thread

[quote name='Vinny']I got mine hooked up via HDMI so I can't do 480i but seeing as how going to lower resolutions helped, I wouldn't be surprised. I should've tried 1080i just to see if it made a difference.[/quote]

The best solution is to get Soul Calibur 4, but that's a pricey one.

[quote name='rrrrrroger']How do PS1 games work on the various PS3s?
[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, PS1 games seem to work exactly the same on all PS3s (20GB, 60GB, 80GB, and I think even the 40GB plays them but I'm not sure?). Doesn't mean they work perfectly but they work very well.

[quote name='willardhaven']The best solution is to get Soul Calibur 4, but that's a pricey one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it looks damn pretty.

[quote name='xl_prankster_lx']OP probably needs an update. Some one should try the God of War games.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda hard to do though as Sony keeps updating/fixing issues. It's best to just check Sony's compatibility search even if it's not 100% accurate.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I was going to try God of War 2, Rogue Galaxy, Grim Grimoire, and Okami, but after reading this thread, I'm probably just going to unbox my PS2. Nothing irks me more than having to restart a game after putting 8+ hours into it.

a note:

Karaoke Revolution American Idol works on my friends 80gb system. It wont boot it on its own, but if you load it and reconnect the controller after it disconnects and press the start button really fast, skipping the intro movie, it will work.

Just thought i would share.

On my 60gb system it works great. Vid and all.

I saw someone say that metal gear solid 3 snake eater is really laggy and the cutscenes are choppy. Did they fix that with a patch and does this also apply to the version in metal gear solid the essential collection? thanks

Funny thing is my PS2 has some issues with the radio conversations in MGS3. The little mini screen displaying your mission objective lags like crazy.

I had some issues with choppy cutscenes in Metal Gear (at least I think that isn't how they were supposed to go), but haven't had too many gameplay issues. Had bad slowdown once, but there wasn't even any enemies around so it really didn't matter.

God of War says it has sound and cutscene issues on Sony's site, but so far I'm a few levels in and haven't seen any of that.

I really hope they release an updated model within the next couple of years that has a slimmer design and more reliable backwards compatibility.

I guess there's always the PS4.

[quote name='willardhaven']Funny thing is my PS2 has some issues with the radio conversations in MGS3. The little mini screen displaying your mission objective lags like crazy.[/quote]

You know, I've really never had any problems like that with MGS3. I've completed the game perfectly other than it freezing once for me when entering a new area.

Are you playing Snake Eater or Subsistence?

Sony's site says Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne plays without problem on an 80 gb. Can anyone confirm this? I've got a copy coming via amazon.

[quote name='Sockey']Sony's site says Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne plays without problem on an 80 gb. Can anyone confirm this? I've got a copy coming via amazon.[/QUOTE]

Works perfectly. I played 40+ hours on my PS3 without any problems.

[quote name='leveskikesko']You guys should get a 60 gig, like me.[/QUOTE]

What a brilliant suggestion. I've never thought of that before.:roll:
Trust me, I tried.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Good lord..

This is for the 80gb ps3. You have the 60gb. the 60gb is near one hundred percent capable, theres maybe 5 games that aren't, which may have been fixed Im not sure

Keep the hearsay and such to a minimum.. not "oh ill test it out later"

This way we can get a list together for people who have or want an 80gb but dont know if their game will work on the system.[/QUOTE]
Thank you. Well said.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']What a brilliant suggestion. I've never thought of that before.:roll:
Trust me, I tried.[/quote]
Here's a thought, how about just getting a slim PS2, if you do not have one, it doesn't take up much space, and it only takes a few seconds to hook up, and playing your PS2 games on that. PS3, PS3 games. PS2, PS2 games. Save on wear and tear of your PS3. I really can't stand this backwards compatibility crap.

Indigo Prophecy freezes in two separate spots on both the 60 and the 80. The only way I figured to get past it was to download a completed save and just skip those chapter.

[quote name='ricoraney']Here's a thought, how about just getting a slim PS2, if you do not have one, it doesn't take up much space, and it only takes a few seconds to hook up, and playing your PS2 games on that. PS3, PS3 games. PS2, PS2 games. Save on wear and tear of your PS3. I really can't stand this backwards compatibility crap.[/QUOTE]
Already have a PS2 upstairs plugged into a TV with scanlines running all over it. There's no room for it downstairs, and no more inputs to plug it into, and since my PS3 is plugged into component, all my PS2 games look much better.
Why are you against BC? It's much better to have one console play all games.:roll:

All my PS3 games work fine on my 80GB:

Devil May Cry 3: SE
God Hand
Half-Life
Ico
Katamari Damacy
MGS Collection
Shadow of the Colossus
Twisted Metal Black
Viewtiful Joe

Am currently playing Soul Calibur 3, no upscaling, with smoothing on, and have only had slowdown on Kilik's stage. Otherwise, the game seems to run fine so far.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Am currently playing Soul Calibur 3, no upscaling, with smoothing on, and have only had slowdown on Kilik's stage. Otherwise, the game seems to run fine so far.[/QUOTE]

What version of the PS3 are you using? It seemed kind of slow on my 80gig.

[quote name='probablysober']What version of the PS3 are you using? It seemed kind of slow on my 80gig.[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry. 80gig. I have the most recent firmware, not that I would think that makes a difference. I played it on my PS2 when it came out, and I don't notice any significant difference from then, other than on Kilik's stage, which was still playable, but fairly slow.

Hey all. Actually joined this forum just to post here. :) Seems like a nice group of folks, think I'll post a tradelist soon.

At any rate, I can confirm that with the latest update (2.41), my 80 gig PS3 is still hanging on Steambot Chronicles (Dandelion's house) and Yakuza (Mysterious Organization fight). I have tried both games in 480i, 480p, and 720p, both with and without smoothing and without any luck. Sony lists SC as having no problems and Yakuza as being fixed, which they clearly aren't, so good luck out there.

I'll be trying GTA: Vice City Stories (PS2) and Digital Devil Saga I in the next couple of weeks, hope I have good things to report!

For the people who say there are problems with Soul Calibur 3 on the 80gb PS3s, me and my friends played the heck out of that game on both of our PS3s and didn't have a single problem. We initially played it on the PS2 but after getting PS3s started playing on each of those. Therefore, that's two confirmations on my part that the game runs smooth with no slowdowns on 2 80gb PS3s. My PS3 was running the game at 720p with smoothing on, and my friend's was running it at 1080i.

[quote name='jdioutkast']also persona 3 fes freezes in september on a full moon, during a cutscene.[/quote]

I had this happen to me too. But it isn't so much a freeze as a really long hang time. The first time this happened, I restarted. The second time this happened, I just let it play for about 30 minutes, and it eventually unfroze itself.

[quote name='Mars10']a note:

Karaoke Revolution American Idol works on my friends 80gb system. It wont boot it on its own, but if you load it and reconnect the controller after it disconnects and press the start button really fast, skipping the intro movie, it will work.

Just thought i would share.

On my 60gb system it works great. Vid and all.
[/quote]

Love this game, found it in a bargin bin at Gamestop. We just wait for all 5 logo screens to go by then hit "Start" multiple times and the game launches fine. This trick might work for other games that get that start-up hang.

[quote name='Jack Banzai']Hey all. Actually joined this forum just to post here. :) Seems like a nice group of folks, think I'll post a tradelist soon.

At any rate, I can confirm that with the latest update (2.41), my 80 gig PS3 is still hanging on Steambot Chronicles (Dandelion's house) and Yakuza (Mysterious Organization fight). I have tried both games in 480i, 480p, and 720p, both with and without smoothing and without any luck. Sony lists SC as having no problems and Yakuza as being fixed, which they clearly aren't, so good luck out there.

I'll be trying GTA: Vice City Stories (PS2) and Digital Devil Saga I in the next couple of weeks, hope I have good things to report![/QUOTE]

I can confirm that Yakuza still hangs. Picked it up over the weekend so that I can have it beat by the time Yakuza 2 comes out but the games freezes on Chapter 3. :bomb:

I'm going to have to buy yet another PS2.

[quote name='Krymner']I had this happen to me too. But it isn't so much a freeze as a really long hang time. The first time this happened, I restarted. The second time this happened, I just let it play for about 30 minutes, and it eventually unfroze itself.[/quote]

Awesome. I'm having the same problem but I'll give that a shot. (Man is my room going to get warm! ;))

I just played through God of War II on the 80GB PS3 and it played fine. Only problem I had is that it froze once when I was trying make a save later in the game. But I never had anything else happen

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I've put about 30 minutes on the game on my PS3. I brought over my save files from my PS2 using the Memory Card Adapter.[/quote]

Have you played this since? I'm interested in picking this up for my 80gb but It would be horrible if it crapped out when trying to use it. My Google Fu is turning up mixed results. :roll:

This is about ODIN SPHERE by the way...

I have a 60GB that slows when playing Ratchet & Clank. It's pretty bad/can't imagine someone not noticing. Can anyone with a 60GB tell me their experience?

Are the MGS3 issues limited to the original release (Snake Eater)?

I did not experience any problems on my 80gig using the version packaged with the MGS Essential Collection.

This is so lame. I'm playing RE2 on an HDTV. The cutscene is only a box that takes up half the screen, and even then it's all fuzzy and the sound sounds kinda weird. And now when I play, the game only takes up half the screen. What the fuck? Is this normal? How do I fix this? This is my first time playing a PS1 game on my PS3. This completely sucks.

Edit: Never mind I figured it out. The game looks like complete ass and the screen is pretty dark. I don't know if the game hasn't aged well or it's just my PS3.

[quote name='nbballard']Are the MGS3 issues limited to the original release (Snake Eater)?

I did not experience any problems on my 80gig using the version packaged with the MGS Essential Collection.[/QUOTE]

I have the original release of MGS3 and haven't had any problems playing through it.

Son of a bitch. I am playing through Yakuza for the first time on my 80 gig PS3 and I have come to a point in Chapter 3 where the title freezes every single fucking time. According to the shitty PS3 backwards Compatibility site I thought I was in the clear but apparently not. I guess I will have to transfer my save to a PS2 memory card and play it on my slim PS2. fucking Sony.

[quote name='cgarb84']Son of a bitch. I am playing through Yakuza for the first time on my 80 gig PS3 and I have come to a point in Chapter 3 where the title freezes every single fucking time. According to the shitty PS3 backwards Compatibility site I thought I was in the clear but apparently not. I guess I will have to transfer my save to a PS2 memory card and play it on my slim PS2. fucking Sony.[/QUOTE]

I had to do the same thing. Bit of a pain, but at least the save transfers went without a hitch. Yakuza 2 is smooth sailing, though.

[quote name='OatmealMu']I had to do the same thing. Bit of a pain, but at least the save transfers went without a hitch. Yakuza 2 is smooth sailing, though.[/quote]

Ok I've calmed down now haha. I just transferred my save, everything went nice and smooth. I played a little more on my PS2, I am really liking the game so far. I am having a hard time keeping all the characters straight but other than that its been good. I will probably just play most of my PS2 games on my PS2 and not on my PS3 from now on. My PS3 graphics are kind of bad as I'm using it on my PC monitor with component cables. This is the best I can do without an HDTV at the moment. So it turns out that my PS2 games actually look better on my PS2 than on my PS3.

Man I wish Sony would release a VGA connector for the PS3. I have my 360 hooked up to my PC monitor and it looks great, full 1080P and everything. If only Sony would get their shit together I would officially be in gamer heaven.

Yes, PS2 games look terrible on it's younger (but fatter) brother, especially on an HDTV. The only reason I use my PS3 for deuce games is convenience -- a single console with wireless controllers.

bread's done
Back