The Abandonlogs

Chuplayer

CAGiversary!
fuck backlogs. I'm not talking about games you played out the usefulness of or never played in the first place.

In the gray area are games that you have but probably never will play.

These are the abandonlogs. I'm talking about games that you either gave up on because you got super stuck or games you just got tired of playing. Perhaps the best measuring stick for the latter would be if you felt fulfilled from playing before you stopped. If you felt fulfilled, keep them off the abandonlogs because these are...

The Abandonlogs

Most recent for me would be the Devil May Cry series and Valkyria Chronicles.

Devil May Cry series (PS2): I picked up the DMC set, got frustrated with the camera angles, and gave up part way through the first game. Yeah, I did get kind of far in DMC1 with the easy mode on, but that was just boring. I have no intention of playing another DMC game again.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3): Three words: Bait and switch. Real-time third person battles my ass. The back of the box lied. Stupid turn-based combat, grindfest gameplay. I knew as soon as I saw the opening cutscene that this game would disappoint me. They just don't make games with RPG stories that aren't RPGs. The exceptions are few and far between, and VC is not an exception.

Digging further back...

Jet Force Gemini (N64): I actually enjoyed this game right up until the point where King Koala What's-His-Butt said that he wouldn't let me play the rest of the game until I went on a classic Rare fetch-quest. It hit me like Mick Foley giving Sting that chairshot on TNA Impact a number of weeks ago. I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. When I saw that, I was like, "You know what? fuck you. I played the game. I'm done."

Adventure (yeah, Atari 2600): I picked this up last year. Didn't do much with it.

Starlancer (DC): It just got stupid after a certain point. I also abandoned the online multiplayer a couple days after I got it. The community just wasn't there like it was with Chu Chu Rocket.

A number of late N64 3D adventure games: Banjo-Tooie, Zelda Majora's Mask, etc. By 2000, the same old shit wasn't doing it for me anymore.

Legend of Dragoon (PS1): My friend said it was like Street Fighter mixed with RPG. It was more like RPG mixed with nothing.

Super Mario RPG (SNES): The original sin. This game turned me off from RPGs forever. I got up to the final boss, and what did I find out? OH! YOU HAVE TO GRIND MORE! Boooooooooooooring. I actually considered setting my semi-mint and complete copy of the game on fire and videotaping it just to piss people off.

Arcana Heart (PS2): I just couldn't get into this game.

Space Channel 3 (PS2): I was expecting a funky dance-themed version of Guitar Hero. What I got wasn't bad in concept but failed in execution. Plus, the controls were rather buggy.

Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn): I actually played through this a number of times, but when I played it last a few years ago, I abandoned it halfway through. I don't know why. It just wasn't holding my interest, I guess.

Ratchet and Clank 2 (PS2): Maybe it was because I played it immediately after I finished the first game and got burnt out on the R&C gameplay, but I didn't feel like playing it more than a few levels in.

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (PS2): The only good thing about this game is that it taught me how to spell the word coliseum correctly.

Zelda II (NES): It was really, really frustrating. It's still the only Zelda out of the original five that I haven't completed and thoroughly enjoyed.

Every Zelda after Zelda 64: I did beat Wind Waker, but it was abandoned until after I got an Action Replay to skip the horrid Triforce quest. That was worse than grinding in RPGs. Twilight Princess was an empty and soulless attempt to recreate Zelda 64. The Oracle games didn't hold my interest past a few dungeons. The series really should have ended after Zelda 64. Or after the color remake of Link's Awakening. Whichever one came out later.

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (PS2/MSX2): On the Subsistence disc 2. I really have to play this game someday, but I abandoned it shortly after I played it. I think I was MGSed out by that point. I had just played the MG1 port on the same disc as well as played a lot of the online game. I do plan on getting back to the game someday, but it's still abandoned as of now.

Metal Gear Ghost Babel (GBC): Also known as MGS for the GBC. I abandoned this one so badly that I can't even remember if I played the main campaign or not. I just remember the VR missions.

Rainbow Six series (PC): I have the big-ass collector's edition as well as the stand-alone expansion pack that came out after that. I just never got into the series. I played it a lot, but I never felt like I got my money's worth. I abandoned that stand-alone expansion pack, too. There was this one stupid mission that I couldn't complete, and I just gave up.

Rainbow Six 3 (XBOX): Pants-on-head retarded teammate AI.

Driver (PC): There was this one mission that was flipping impossible. I wanted to play more, but the game wasn't agreeing with me. Oh well.

What are your Abandonlogs?

GTA4. I Keep thinking I'll go back and beat it, but once I do I realize I'm not really having fun.

BC:Rearmed. I'm too much of a puss to handle some of those levels...

FF VII: Dirge of Cerberus. Man, what a terrible game and the storyline feels cliched in every sense.

Contra: Shattered Soldier. Too friggin hard and too much memorization.

Gitaroo Man. Stuck on one of the songs and each time I replay it I only do worse.

Stranglehold. Stuck on a shitty savepoint where I'm low on health and ammo and fighting a helicopter...

Super Paper Mario. Just no where as fun as the original Paper Mario games and the tacked on wii-mote functions are just pointless and irritating.

Shenmue. D-Pad 3rd person games do not stand the test of time at all.

I'm sure there's more...

[quote name='Chuplayer']

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3): Three words: Bait and switch. Real-time third person battles my ass. The back of the box lied. Stupid turn-based combat, grindfest gameplay. I knew as soon as I saw the opening cutscene that this game would disappoint me. They just don't make games with RPG stories that aren't RPGs. The exceptions are few and far between, and VC is not an exception.
[/QUOTE]

Get off my CAG.

I'd have to think about it more to prepare a response but "pants-on-head retarded" has become a new favorite phrase.

Okay, I think I have a few that fit:

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (DS) - I've gotten all the way to the fight against Lord Bane. However, I see that I am woefully underpowered compared to him. Thus, either I just keep playing against him til I get "lucky" and win or I have to grind it out and build up my health. Either way, it's a lot of playing with little extra reward. I'd rather play Civ Revolution because, after all, at it's heart, PG is just Bejeweled.

Elite Beat Agents (DS): I have just found that the later songs are songs I dont care about and they are getting harder. Again, I'd rather play Civ Rev.

GTA:VC (PS2) - I played till I got the Vercetti Mansion and then just didnt care anymore. It seemed like all the next available missions were all driving and little killing. I always thought that driving was the worst part about VC (Thank goodness for the Taxis in GTA4). So I felt no compelling reason to continue.

Star Ocean: 2nd Story - I can't even get off the first disc. It's sort of boring, and I always get to the same part and no matter what I do, I die because my entire party is status one-shotted.

Super Mario Sunshine - I should've sold this, but my brothers like it. For the life of me, I can't play 3D platformers, this one's almost as bad as Mario 64.

Mario 64 - (see SMS) I've honestly tried destroying the cartridge in frustration, and it stayed in tact. It is evil, and it is cursed to stay with my N64 and take up shelfspace. Mario likes going in the opposite direction I say.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - I want to like this game, I really do, but like all other Final Fantasy games, I get bored about 3 hours in and drop it for something that's actually fun.

Paper Mario/Paper Mario: ThousandYearDoor - Dear god, turn based combat is so goddamned boring and time wasting. At least there wasn't much grinding that I could remember. Super Paper Mario fixed this and I worship it.

Sonic & The Secret Rings - Bad/sluggish controls.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Send me your Valkyria Chronicles if you hate it. Srsly, cml.

OT, sins of a solar empire.[/QUOTE]

Send me $29.99 plus shipping.

Shadow of the Collosus - Great looking game and different gameplay, but the game just didn't interest me much.

Metroid Prime 2 - I come back a few months later and I forget what I am suppose to do.

Paper Mario 2 - Fun game but gets boring after awhile.

RE4 springs instantly to mind, though I have no real excuse. Deus Ex was like this for a long time, too.[quote name='Chuplayer']
Super Mario RPG (SNES): The original sin. This game turned me off from RPGs forever. I got up to the final boss, and what did I find out? OH! YOU HAVE TO GRIND MORE! Boooooooooooooring. I actually considered setting my semi-mint and complete copy of the game on fire and videotaping it just to piss people off.
[/quote]
Wait, what? The game had a level cap of 50. How did you not hit it by the end?

[quote name='Halo05']I'd have to think about it more to prepare a response but "pants-on-head retarded" has become a new favorite phrase.[/quote]
I vaguely recall seeing it in a Zero Punctuation a couple months back...

GTA IV - Never enjoyed the game itself, just the story, and when the story got into a lull towards what I think is the middle (after the bank robbery), had no motivation to finish.

Oblivion - I have the PC version, so I immediately downloaded mods and such without ever trying to play through the game "legit". This made it incredibly easy and without a challenge I stopped playing.

The Witcher - Loved the first chapter, second chapter was super confusing and I refuse to use a guide, so I got stuck with no way to advance.

STALKER - Ultra-tedious FPS. I really like the concept, but the entire game has an unpolished clumsy feeling that I felt my time would be better spent playing something else.

Metroid Prime - I have tried to play this game so many times, but whenever I take a break, I find that the game is super forgettable, and I have no idea what I was doing at the time, so I end up just starting over and telling myself to not take a break. That never works out.

I usually sell games If I don't think I'll ever play them again, but I've got a few:

Splinter Cell Double Agent (360): Kinda fun until the second JBA mission, where I gave up because I got sick of lazy levels and crappy stealth.

Sigma Star Saga (GBA): Gave up at the second world because it got way harder, and the ship stuff is completely messed up. I just couldn't stand it.

Perfect Dark Zero (360): God, this game really is shite. The single player is just awful, I can't believe how bad it is. I kind of enjoy the MP (I love playing with bots) so that's why I keep it around.

In addition to those I don't think I'll ever play most of my old 64 games again, except maybe the original Perfect Dark to figure out why it's a hundred times better then the sequel that took 10 years to come out. Oh, and Conkers Bad Fur Day :D.

Wild Arms 3, 4, Alter Code F - I got pretty far in WA3, got stuck looking for the next area, oh, like near the fucking end. I hate not being able to find a new area by using that sonar bullshit or whatever it's called. Never went back. I've played about a hour combined of WA4 and ACF and never went back. Probably never will.

Star Ocean TTEOT - fuck the last boss and the plot twist he rode in on.

Shadow of the Colossus - I got to the 3rd Colossus, so not far, then watched my friend finish it twice in a row. I never went back.

Stella Deus - Played 6 hours, quit. Never going back. No reason to.

SMT Digital Devil Saga - Got wiped out by a boss later. I tried like 5 times to beat him, wasted like 2 hours of my life. Not going back anytime soon, if ever.

Okami - Doesn't quite count because I do want to go back and play it, but I played it 2.5 hours the day I got it, never went back.

Quake IV PC - Got it for $10, all it's worth really.

Supreme Commander, Universe at War, Rome Total War Gold, Medieval 2 Total War, and just about every PC RTS I bought for cheap at Target - I like RTS, I like cheap games, so put those two together. I just haven't touched any of them.

Metroid Prime 2 - Almost beat the last boss, died right as I had one hit left on it. "fuck this game!!", quit, never going back.

Sonic Adventure 2 - fuck the chaos emerald hunting. I was on the space station one with Knuckles, spent so long that the timer maxed out at 99"99'99, still never found the last emerald I was looking for. I quit, never went back.

I'm sure I could go on a lot longer if I think for a minute, but that's just a sampler. I'm planning on selling a bunch of these games I hold on to for no reason.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Valkyria Chronicles (PS3): Three words: Bait and switch. Real-time third person battles my ass. The back of the box lied. Stupid turn-based combat, grindfest gameplay. I knew as soon as I saw the opening cutscene that this game would disappoint me. They just don't make games with RPG stories that aren't RPGs. The exceptions are few and far between, and VC is not an exception.[/QUOTE]lol smh grindfest.

I like how your hatred of the game is similar to a person hating chess becoz the horsie cant move in a straight line.

Valkyria is a strategy game, not an RPG. I dont lose at chess becoz I need to level up my rook.

Eternal Sonata: The worst story I've ever heard in an RPG combined with a horrendous voice cast. Oh, and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Okami (PS2): I abandoned it for the Wii version. Probably going to abandon the Wii version too.

Up and comers (Possible abandonlogs)
Lost Odyssey: The Mansion level has me lost and confused
Final Fantasy VI: I'm lost and have this feeling that a Wiimake is coming
Metroid Prime Hunters: Yeah...
Resistance: Horrible checkpoint system put me back 10 minutes. Might go back 1 day.

FF7: Loved the game it was the first rpg i ever played and got into but like a dumbass i was reorganizing diff saves on diff memory cards and deleted my latest game save( i had stopped before the part where you fight that emerald robot underwater). the only save i had left was way the fuck back at the beginning of the game and so after cursing up a storm i never touched the game again and promptly traded it in. i still regret not finishing it.

WOW: the game sounds like itd be fun but im damn scared of the addictive nature of the game. seems like electronic crack in a way and im scared to try it for fear of becoming addicted like other people have.

Haven Call of the King: Old ps2 game i got cheap after i played a demo for it just havent gotten around to playing it and i dunno if i ever will.

theres some 360 id like to try but probably never will because i wont buy a 360 until i know they have all the bugs ironed out and theyre alot cheaper. pluss i still hope somehow some fo them that arent exclusives will end up on the ps3.

[quote name='KingBroly']

Okami (PS2): I abandoned it for the Wii version. Probably going to abandon the Wii version too.

[/quote]

i had that for ps2 and its an awesome game but damn if it didnt get dull towards the end. if youre one of those people who love side quests and collecting and finding things its a game that will give you alot of playtime. and the sotry was cool too alot of interesting stuff worth seeing but that said i skipped some stuff towards the end just to hurry up and beat it.

[quote name='The Crotch']*Super Mario RPG*
Wait, what? The game had a level cap of 50. How did you not hit it by the end?[/quote]

I don't remember. It's been far too long. I just know what I didn't like it.

I vaguely recall seeing it in a Zero Punctuation a couple months back...

I know I heard it in the Halo 3 review.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Sonic Adventure 2 - fuck the chaos emerald hunting. I was on the space station one with Knuckles, spent so long that the timer maxed out at 99"99'99, still never found the last emerald I was looking for. I quit, never went back.[/QUOTE]

If you ever feel like going back, try finding as many emeralds as you can, dying, and trying to find the emeralds again. The last time I played it, I found that strategy to considerably cut time wasted on those levels. The remaining emerald or emeralds usually come back in different and easier to find places.

More abandonlog from me.

Pokemon Gold/Silver (GBC): I played one of the versions briefly and never played again. Worst Christmas video game present ever. I wanted one version and Super Mario Bros. DX, but I got two borefests instead. I didn't feel like playing another Pokemon again after playing Red/Blue to death and having Super Mario RPG burn me on RPGs forever.

Sinistar Unleashed (PC): Yes, I was able to get it to respond to controls. It was so disgusting that they actually released a game that did not accept controller inputs and had to patch it. Anyway, once I got the patch I played it briefly and never touched it again. At least it was only $5.

Sub-Terrania (Genesis): Got it, didn't like it, it's been collecting dust for years.

Rez HD (XBLA): It was really good the first time I played it. Then I barely ever touched it again. The style masked the boring execution for a while, but in the long run the game bored me.

Fatal Fury Special (XBLA): Online sucked (mostly since barely anybody was there), and really the Neo Geo version wasn't as balanced as the SNES version which I played for years. Terry is horrible in the Neo Geo version but formidable on the SNES. I still play the SNES version from time to time and marvel at it.

Metroid Prime 2 - Took a break, then completely forgot what the hell I was supposed to do. Haven't gotten back to it.

Perfect Dark Zero - This game was absolutely awful. I spent about 3 hours total playing it before I sent it off on Goozex. Terrible.

God Hand - Here's another one where I took a break, but in this case it's just so balls hard and I forgot the controls, so I just haven't bothered to get back into it.

[quote name='JEKKI']lol smh grindfest.

I like how your hatred of the game is similar to a person hating chess becoz the horsie cant move in a straight line.

Valkyria is a strategy game, not an RPG. I dont lose at chess becoz I need to level up my rook.[/quote]

Agreed. I didn't once have to grind in Valkyria Chronicles. As long as you figure out the right strategy for the level, it isn't hard.

As far as the turn-based part goes, Valkyria Chronicles is to SRPGs as Eternal Sonata is to JRPGs...meaning its turn-based, but you move in real time on your turn.

As for my Abandonlog (I've sold them all now):

Henry Hatsworth: I gave up on the last world. It got too hard and wasn't fun at all anymore.

Sonic Unleashed: I wanted to give Sonic a chance. I really did. But the Werehog parts were so bad, I just couldn't make it past the first few levels.

Far Cry 2: Just plain boring from the start. I didn't make it far before I got tired of driving place to place just so I could do some average FPSing.

And I know there's more...I just can't remember right now.

Edit: I just remembered the biggest one of them all for me. Crysis: I played this for a little while, but I must have really sucked at it. I kept dying (on the easiest difficulty) and eventually just gave up because I got tired of replaying the same section over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chuplayer']Send me $29.99 plus shipping.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you'd take a money order and could wait a bit, I'd be down for that.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Sonic Adventure 2 - fuck the chaos emerald hunting. I was on the space station one with Knuckles, spent so long that the timer maxed out at 99"99'99, still never found the last emerald I was looking for. I quit, never went back.[/QUOTE]

That was the game for me/friends to play one summer. I got to the point where I knew all the places by heart where the emeralds could be. A ranked everything :lol:

bread's done
Back