The actor playing the Green Lantern in the GL movie is...

The GL costume is so form fitting too. The goggles will do nothing against Jack Black stretching it out.

I have to say WB is just mucking up every stinking DC superhero they can. Marvel, on the other hand, has really managed to strike gold with the good translation of it's characters.

I shudder just thinking about the upcoming Catwoman movie. I truly hope the movie is a flop so WB knows that just bymaking a half assed movie about a comic book character does not automatically mean it will sell tickets.

Why do people always want to kill things before they get a chance to grow. I think we need a little more optmism in the world. This could turn out alright. I'm a big GL fan so the thought of even having a GL movie is pretty cool.

[quote name='dschroll']I have to say WB is just mucking up every stinking DC superhero they can. Marvel, on the other hand, has really managed to strike gold with the good translation of it's characters.

I shudder just thinking about the upcoming Catwoman movie. I truly hope the movie is a flop so WB knows that just bymaking a half assed movie about a comic book character does not automatically mean it will sell tickets.[/quote]

Oh ho ho, no, Catwoman will do well enough that no lessons will be learned. I have absolute faith in the American movie-going public to make awful movies popular.

Don't movie makers realize that some of the reason that Spider Man was so popular is because a lot of people actually like Spider Man. I'm not particularly into comics, but unless I'm really mistaken, Green Lantern isn't a very popular character to start with. This is going to make it difficult to have anyone except real fans going to see this movie.

Jack Black is a GREAT actor. I absolutely love the guy.

He showed that he can play a somewhat serious role in Shallow Hal, so I'm interested in how this one shapes up.

The Tenacious D episodes were absolute greatness and I bet HBO is kicking themselves that they canned it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Don't movie makers realize that some of the reason that Spider Man was so popular is because a lot of people actually like Spider Man. I'm not particularly into comics, but unless I'm really mistaken, Green Lantern isn't a very popular character to start with. This is going to make it difficult to have anyone except real fans going to see this movie.[/quote]
Green Lantern has a huge following.

Quite honestly... if Hollywood does a comic book licensed movie the fans are typically going to be dissapointed. Unless they just try to enjoy a "what-if" (marvel) or "else-where" (DC) story arc. I gave up hoping they would do justice to my heros.

I have faith right now in the new batman they are filmin, and I really liked spiderman 2, xmen movies were okay. They should really have the comic writers have a bigger say in what happens

I bet Peter Jackson could do a good comic movie. He made Lord of the Rings, which very well could have been extremely silly looking, into a living world.

I bet he could do the same with a comic movie.

lets start a thread in this who do you think should play GL I cannot think of anyone good enough to play GL so lets hear who you think.

[quote name='Doylerulez']Anyone else remember Shaq as Steel?[/quote]

CAG Commandment #1 - Thou shalt not use shaq's name in vein, nor use a steel refrence

[quote name='Tromack']Which Green Lantern is he going to be? Or is it just going to be some new guy with the ring?[/quote]

What was the name of the fat oafish one with the 15-minute timer nearing zero? That should be a good match for Jack Black.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Jack Black is a GREAT actor. I absolutely love the guy.

He showed that he can play a somewhat serious role in Shallow Hal, so I'm interested in how this one shapes up.

The Tenacious D episodes were absolute greatness and I bet HBO is kicking themselves that they canned it.[/quote]

Jack Black is a great character, but I don't think I'd call him a great actor. I'm not saying he isn't, just that I haven't seen anything in which he showed any actual range -- his role in Shallow Hal wasn't really any more serious than his role in School of Rock (I enjoyed both movies). He is very likable and funny, and I, as a non-comicbook person, think that a GL movie staring him could be pretty good/funny, but I would guess not terribly true to the comic books. It could also suck.

There have been many actors known primarily for comedic material who nade impressive forays into serious roles. If Jack black is going to do it this is not the vehicle, especially since they're stating up front their intent to produce a farce.

The Mask, while quite murderous and sinister in the original comics, lent itself well to a more light hearted movie. Jim Carrey works best as ordinary people thrust into outrageous situations. The same cannot be said for Jack Black. The closest he's ever come to serious was in 'Jesus' Son' and even that was as a fairly zany character for that movie.

This is a pure slap in the face to anyone who knows and likes the source material. couldn't they find something already comedic or come up with something of their own rather than this?

Can you imagine the pitch meeting?

"OK, we want to do something with Jack Black essentially taking a 65 year old icon and and converting in front of the audience's eyes into a large steaming turd. What properties are largely unsullied?"

"We've been wanting to ruin Wonder Woman."

"Nah, Jack draws the line at cross-dressing if there isn't reasonable motivation for the character to be anally raped as a result."

"Hey, how about GreenLantern? We haven't done any damage to that property in a live action format since the 70's!"

"Great!"

That sounded crazy enough that I thought it was an April Fool's joke. Except it's July.

I don't see any possibility of this being a good movie.

I don't get it, I really don't, is DC so desperate for movie sucess the likes of which Marvel gained that they wrote up a contract with WB telling them they could do whatever the hell they want? So first the superman script turns out to be a huge turd , Catwoman looks so bad even your average audience will cough in silence after the trailer and now GL becomes a zany comedy. Hmm I guess the big question is which character gets raped next.

At first when I read the title I was like screaming halleluyah for i have been waiting for one for what seems an eternity, but after reading the link and finding out who it is I am utterly shocked and appalled. Are those idiot producers or whoever it was that allowed this or greenlit it at DC sane. GL is a fantastic character who is a super hero that has somewhat more depth then many of the others (i.e superman, though he has his moments). You know, I have this theory on comic book movies, the only reason that they turn out so well for Marvel and some other comic book companies is that they let the creators, comic book writers, and generally the people that care about the character and license have some say in the development process. For instance, the way that Stan Lee is involved with Spiderman and the other Marvle licenses or, can't think of his name but the guy that created and wrote Hellboy. I saw that movie and that it did not turn out that bad. It was a pretty good adaptation.

Why, oh why does it have to be Jack Black???!!! No offense to him, but he doesn't really fit the role of a superhero. The Green Lantern could be a terrific movie if done right, but they want to turn it into some sort of slapstick comedy?? Ugh!

On the other hand, I guess I should keep an open mind about this. Maybe it can turn out alright (or even great) in the end, but I'm not holding my breath. At least, there will be decent to great Marvel films coming out. :D

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Doylerulez']Anyone else remember Shaq as Steel?[/quote]

CAG Commandment #1 - Thou shalt not use shaq's name in vein, nor use a steel refrence[/quote]

Since you made the guide for new users, you might as well make a 10 commandments topic as well.

Anyway I think they should've got the Hurricane from wwe to play the part, seeing how he already does every week on tv...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']At first when I read the title I was like screaming halleluyah for i have been waiting for one for what seems an eternity, but after reading the link and finding out who it is I am utterly shocked and appalled. Are those idiot producers or whoever it was that allowed this or greenlit it at DC sane. GL is a fantastic character who is a super hero that has somewhat more depth then many of the others (i.e superman, though he has his moments). You know, I have this theory on comic book movies, the only reason that they turn out so well for Marvel and some other comic book companies is that they let the creators, comic book writers, and generally the people that care about the character and license have some say in the development process. For instance, the way that Stan Lee is involved with Spiderman and the other Marvle licenses or, can't think of his name but the guy that created and wrote Hellboy. I saw that movie and that it did not turn out that bad. It was a pretty good adaptation.[/quote]

AGREED'D.

Also, Mike Mignola created Hellboy.

Well, look at it like this. GL is one of the lower tier DC characters who in the past hasn't even been taken seriously by DC. Other than the JLA cartoon on CN (which is actually quite good), few actual people know the many GL's. I'm hoping that they can at least make it enjoyable, even if not true to form

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='dschroll']I have to say WB is just mucking up every stinking DC superhero they can. Marvel, on the other hand, has really managed to strike gold with the good translation of it's characters.

I shudder just thinking about the upcoming Catwoman movie. I truly hope the movie is a flop so WB knows that just bymaking a half assed movie about a comic book character does not automatically mean it will sell tickets.[/quote]

Oh ho ho, no, Catwoman will do well enough that no lessons will be learned. I have absolute faith in the American movie-going public to make awful movies popular.[/quote]

Catwoman is going for a certain demographic: guys who want to see Halle Berry in bondage gear. And they're getting through to that market, I'd predict.

Jack Black will be the worst as Green Lantern, but, then again, I never liked Green Lantern. The only superhero movies that I really enjoyed in recent years were Spiderman 1 & 2 and X2. Aside from that, I think they've always been lacking. Although I am extremely optimistic about Batman Begins...

[quote name='Supernothing'][quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Don't movie makers realize that some of the reason that Spider Man was so popular is because a lot of people actually like Spider Man. I'm not particularly into comics, but unless I'm really mistaken, Green Lantern isn't a very popular character to start with. This is going to make it difficult to have anyone except real fans going to see this movie.[/quote]
Green Lantern has a huge following.[/quote]

Not anywhere near close or similar to Superman's following, or Batman or Superman if we want to look at other comic book hero movies that have done well. If Daredevil had been Wolverine or Spiderman instead of Daredevil.. it would have sold buku tickets just from fanboys wanting to see it. Certain comic book names sell, but the GL isn't one of them.

Gl is going to be very hurt in the early box office numbers by having Jack Black (considered a comedic actor) doing a hero many people are not familiar with.

However, Jim Carrey was considered much worse as far as serious acting goes before The Truman Show. Jack Black's comedies haven't been nearly as childish and slapstick as the Mask and Ace Ventura. Simply announcing Jack Black as the GL does not mean its going to be a slapstick comedy super hero movie.. he could just be moving into serious acting.

Simply doing slapstick comedies does not mean that is all you can do.

edit - Finished a couple thoughts.

But that pretty much is all he can do...he's been in serious movies before. When he got his arm shot off in the Jackal I don't think I was supposed to laugh that much but I did. Comedian yes...action hero/super hero no. I mean GL wasn't even that much of a comendian in the books why on Earth would they attempt to make a completely comcial movie about it.

On a comic book sidenote. Anyone know any info on the Constantine movie coming out? I know Keanu is in it, and it has been moved from Britain to LA (I think), but beyond that, I am cluelss.

[quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']But that pretty much is all he can do...he's been in serious movies before. When he got his arm shot off in the Jackal I don't think I was supposed to laugh that much but I did. Comedian yes...action hero/super hero no. I mean GL wasn't even that much of a comendian in the books why on Earth would they attempt to make a completely comcial movie about it.[/quote]

LOL, that part in the jackal made me laugh too!

gl was my favorite comic book hero when i was young. i can't see jack black playing gl... :evil:

[quote name='Tromack']On a comic book sidenote. Anyone know any info on the Constantine movie coming out? I know Keanu is in it, and it has been moved from Britain to LA (I think), but beyond that, I am cluelss.[/quote]

consider this a gift from your friendly neighborhood spiderman

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/constantine/

its a link for the constantine trailer

Even though I'm a pretty big Jack Black fan, I too am having a hard time seeing him as Green Lantern. I do think that if he lost about 35 lbs, he might be able to pull off Hal Jordan. My guess is they're going for Kyle Rayner, though. I coulda sworn I saw a trailer for the GL movie a while back and they were going for the black GL, though :lol: Must've been my imagination.

bread's done
Back