The American Gladiators S2 Thread

wubb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
Season 1 thread can be found here:

[thread]168076[/thread]

Season 2 kicked off Monday night. I've just watched the first half so far and I'm pleased with the changes made.

1) Hang Tough was widened. Absolutely needed. It was just too short last year.

2) Assault - Multiple changes made to speed it up. (a) Ball preloaded in 2nd gun - midseason change from last season IIRC - and now the gun is basically aimed so the contestant doesn't have to spin it around much. (b) There is a bazooka hidden in the sand the contestant shoots rather than an arrow they carry over to the crossbow at the next sation (c) Arrow is preloaded in the crossbow.

Changes were needed to speed that up and I'm glad they made them.

3) The Wall - Course lengthened. Meh, that's good I guess. It was basically fine as it was.

4) Eliminator - Several changes most for the good. I like that the hand bike now drops into a pile of balls to hopefully slow peole down a bit. Still it didn't seem to really slow down the woman who fell into them. Jumping into water at the end is :cool: as it's going to lead to lots of shots of exhausted contestants being carried by scuba divers. :lol:

5) New event - Rocket Launch (?) Seemed okay. Have to see it more to really get a feel for if it's a good one or not.

The female winner from last year was on in the first hour and she has buffed up quite a bit. She's not on a par with most of the other gladiators but she's noticeably more ripped. I'm guessing they had her on an intense regiment before the show started up. (Either that or roids.)

Matt Morgen (Former WWE wrestler, and current TNA wrestler) will premier in episode 6 this season as "Beast in the Cage" which will air early june.

Ratings for the Season 2 premier of American Gladiators did a 2.90 which is considered fairly low to NBC standards

I mentioned in the other thread they dropped 3 Gladiators from the roster for the 2 winners and Phoenix. I thought they were going to go with only 12 but I guess this beast guy is coming.

Monica / Jet is looking fantastic. Her intro clip has the shiniest abs I've ever seen. Evan / Jet is looking tiny. They've only put him on the Wall so far, I'll bet we'll see him on Assault and the bridge crossing one next.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Monica / Jet is looking fantastic. Her intro clip has the shiniest abs I've ever seen. Evan / Jet is looking tiny. They've only put him on the Wall so far, I'll bet we'll see him on Assault and the bridge crossing one next.[/quote]

Monica is pretty hot as Jet. I wasn't that into her last season, but c'mon..Go-Go boots and blue streaks in her hair? Plus she's really giving it her all in the events she's in.

Evan is tiny, but he absolutely kills at the wall. I don't think he could even swing one of those giant balls on that bridge crossing event.

I liked new girl Phoenix, even though we didn't see her that much. I'm pretty sure she's hot. Jet looked real good too. Anyone who goes up against Rocket/Evan on the wall is pretty much effed.

Can't wait to see them bust out some ATLASPHERE.

Dude in blue almost got away from Evan on the wall. Pretty sure he would beat any other gladiator and probably would have taken Evan on the shorter wall of last season. Very impressive IMO.

One leg guy was pretty damn ballsy on the eliminator. I couldn't believe he went for it on the barrel walk thing given how his prosthetic leg had been slipping out from under him up to that point.

The lady in blue 'Major Pain' was annoying as hell IMO but her move to use the run down the teeter tot walk to build momentum and carry her up the travelator was F'ing brilliant. I'd look to see more contenders try that.

The new event with the swaying platforms was alright although I imagine the gladiators will dominate it given they'll do it much more than the contenders and possibly even practice on it. Seems to be all about timing and rhythm and practice would absolutely be a major advantage.

Bummed to hear it got poor ratings. I thought it did pretty well in the first season.

Major Pain sucked. The first female winner sucked too. I was pissed that the Firefighter chick and whoever Major Pain went against didn't win. They were both very attractive and these short uggos won.

They said this season is debuting 8 Gladiators and 3 have already been revealed. Looks like a Japanese guy is being debuted judging from the silhouette shown.

On another note I was watching Mindfreak the other day and Wolf was on there. Apparently he's also a bull fighter as one of his many jobs.

Mayhem (black dude with the dreads) and Stealth (black chick) are gone. Fury the dominatrix looking chick is gone too. She was the hot one who was great at hang tough.

I think I liked Fury, or was it Siren. This is one of those shows that comes on, that it's like "Why are watching this crap?". Plus, teasing the wife by saying "You want me to see if he's avaliable for you?" everytime Wolf comes on, never gets old. (She can't stand him, btw)

Fury? Hot? Are you insane? She looked like a dude!

Also: how awesome was it when Rocket/Evan climbed ABOVE the guy on the wall, then took him down? Super awesome.

How come there's no love for Crush? I totally have a crush on Crush :) My favorite part of the first episode was when the mommy got owned by Crush on Joust in front of her cute little girl. That kid's face was priceless.

[quote name='emdub']Also: how awesome was it when Rocket/Evan climbed ABOVE the guy on the wall, then took him down? Super awesome.[/QUOTE]I haven't seen yesterday's episode yet so this is a spoiler for me... but my fiance predicted this would happen as soon as he found out Evan was a gladiator. Evan is such a speed demon. Isn't it really unfair that only one contender faces Evan?

I like how they're using Jet a lot. She's closest to the size of the contenders yet is in like every event. I feel bad for Rocket since it looks like he'll be confined to the Wall. However he does do an amazing job at it. It was cool how him and Zen took the dudes down creatively. Zen looks like he'll be stuck to Wall duty as well.

Oh and Crush is hot. I'm just capitvated by Jet's shiny abs. Crush's secret identity is Gina Carano - MMA fighter. Oh mama.

[quote name='emdub']
Also: how awesome was it when Rocket/Evan climbed ABOVE the guy on the wall, then took him down? Super awesome.[/quote]

Yeah that was classic, when he asked that policeman if he was going to book him for speeding, made me laugh.

One thing that bugs me about that show is Hogans terrible schtick, just once I'd like to see him end a sentence with a word other than "brother" or "maniacs"

Phoenix is hot, not quite Crush hot though.

[quote name='emdub']Fury? Hot? Are you insane? She looked like a dude!

Also: how awesome was it when Rocket/Evan climbed ABOVE the guy on the wall, then took him down? Super awesome.[/quote]

That's right, Fury was the scary looking one. Siren then.
I'm working evenings mondays, so I won't be watching the show for a while anyway. Brother.

Caught the tail end of the show last night- just the women's eliminator.

Glad to see they got rid of that dumbass rolly-thing that they had to hold on to.

I finally saw yesterday's episode. That was indeed an excellent Wall run. I guess Zen is their answer to even out the Wall against Rocket. The episode wasn't as interesting as last week, but I still liked it. Aside from the Wall, I liked Titan's Joust-ing and Crush's Earthquake-ing, especially where Crush tried to knock the girl off with her ass.

Edited to add: Did they do more events or just stretch out the regular number into a longer timeslot?

They did six events plus the eliminator. I'm not sure if that's standard, but in previous episodes it always seemed like they did 4 events...

That earthquake event is something I don't like. It's hard enough to keep your balance on that slippery thing, but you have to throw people off AND stay on? Most of the time people are just holding onto one another and usually both of them go off. It's not as exciting as say just a regular wrestling ring.

I love the 2 recently introduced female gladiators (former winner) Jet and Phoenix but for some reason Phoenix really presses a button for me. :drool: I don't know what it as I'm not normally attracted to hyper-athletic women but damn, I'd go one-on-one w/ her anytime.

[quote name='strdr4']That earthquake event is something I don't like. It's hard enough to keep your balance on that slippery thing, but you have to throw people off AND stay on? Most of the time people are just holding onto one another and usually both of them go off. It's not as exciting as say just a regular wrestling ring.[/QUOTE]
No they get 10 points if they both fall off. 5 points if they stay on till the clock runs out. Most of the people who get 10 points are from the Gladiator making a mistake while tossing the person off.

My wife and I caught ourselves up on the show. It's been a great new season so far. I'm ready for new Gladiators and new events. Evan/Rocket climbing above the competitor to take him down was awesome.

I've noticed that they haven't included any mention of having this season's winners becoming a new gladiator. Have they gotten rid of that gimmick this season?

i'm liking phoenix, and jet definitely surprised me...girl must have been doing crunches all day since the last season. not sold on the quiet gladiator chick...Steel I think her name was?

but crush is still the hottest, and i don't think she can be beat on Joust

What was up with the 13 year old boy being thrown in the women's bracket last week? :lol: She was 4'11" had a boy sounding voice, a boy looking hair cut and went by the name Rocky. (And she's married.) :whistle2:/

American Gladiators is kind of losing it for me. The last episode they did a 'recap' of four of the events rather than actually showing them. My guess is that this may be related to poor ratings this season (?) so instead of a planned 1:30 show they cut it to just 1 hour by doing that BS.

Also a few of the gladiators are just unbeatable in certain events. For example Zen and Evan are so good at the wall they usually climb completely past the contestant to show off. And nobody has been able to give Titan much trouble on Joust IIRC. And of course Crush on the ladies side is a lock on Joust. One girl last week came close to a draw but never really looked like she had a chance at knocking Crush off.

They need more events where the contestant has the edge. I guess gauntlet is like that, over half the contestants seem to manage the full 10 points. I remember the cannonball (or whatever it was called) event from the OG American Gladiators. Contestants swung at the gladiators on the end of a rope attempting to knock them off a small pedestal. That's a kick ass event.

[quote name='wubb']The last episode they did a 'recap' of four of the events rather than actually showing them. My guess is that this may be related to poor ratings this season (?) so instead of a planned 1:30 show they cut it to just 1 hour by doing that BS.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I wasn't happy with the truncated show, especially with one of the missing events being The Wall. Skytrack I didn't miss.

They need more events where the contestant has the edge. I guess gauntlet is like that, over half the contestants seem to manage the full 10 points.
I don't think I agree with this. I get much of my amusement from the show watching contenders get owned. Joust is probably my favorite event, and I know I'm always cheering for Crush and Titan for that event. But I guess I find total domination amusing in either direction, as long as I don't find the contender extremely annoying. Speaking of which, did anyone else find it funny that they put Zen in the Gauntlet? The football player last week practically launched the poor guy running into him.

I'm not really enjoying this season of AG. The cheese factor is just off the charts. Yeah AG has always been cheezy but this is just nuts. I like some of the new events but the over the top cornball antics of both the gladiators and now the contestants really annoys me.

If you looked closely Zen had some blood on his lip and running down his chin in the shot before the next dude ran the Gauntlet. Yep, he got demolished.

New Gladiator looks like the biggest douchenozzle ever. Ugh.

The whole "do events, but only show clips" thing is pretty stupid. I don't get why they do that. It has to cost quite a bit to have them do the events, and then they just don't use them?

[quote name='emdub']New Gladiator looks like the biggest douchenozzle ever. Ugh.

The whole "do events, but only show clips" thing is pretty stupid. I don't get why they do that. It has to cost quite a bit to have them do the events, and then they just don't use them?[/QUOTE]

The reason they are doing that is because it was supposed to be going to an hour and a half (so this and Nashville Star would be their Monday lineup) but the ratings haven't been the greatest so they got cold feet and cut the show down to an hour and slot a half hour show of Dateline to fill up the time

I also hate that they are not showing all the events. It is really annoying because it ruins the flow of the show. I do not think they even show the events in order. I forget what clued me in to this exactly, but it was something that Hulk said about the contestant finally coming through, when that event was way earlier. I can verify that they certainly do not tape everything all at once. When I went they just taped a single event, The Wall.

The new gladiators are hit and miss. I like Phoenix, Jet, Zen, and Rocket; Hurricane I can take or leave; Steel is just really
unnecessary. What is it with that whole silence thing anyway? I guess we still have yet to see Beast and Panther, which Wikipedia sites as being new Gladiators.

The new events are just like the gladiators. Bringing back Atlasphere is awesome (have they even shown that yet?). Vertigo, Snapback, Skytrack, and Tilt are okay I guess. Rocketball is stupid. I do not know if they have shown Sideswipe yet.

I would like to know how they choose some of their woosy contestants. It is embarrassing to watch them sometimes.

The games last a few minutes, I dont know why they cant keep up the shows energy by keeping games going instead of the same flexing etc. They can fit in all that stuff they skip over.

My favorite part is " In rocket battle blah blah won. If you want to see the whole event go dl it off our clunky site" WHY would you download it after they tell you the winner... "Hmm i wonder how the boring action went down"...

THE SHOW IS SO BORING. I dont care who wins... I dont care whos competing... and I dont care about the gladiators. The gladiators come on, yell some generic thing and thats it.

Watch the show on your dvr in fast forward, its better.

Yea, the cutting down on the episodes is getting irritating. I thought, at first, it was just for their "Hulk" episode. But now this is getting annoying.

Also, is it just me, or is this entire season really gimmicky? Twins, married couples, cop partners? Come on.

I'd say there are just way too many new gladiators. I think they've said there are 8 new ones total this season. They need to figure out which ones are interesting and the fans like and ditch the rest.

This week finally had a close finish in the eliminator with the men both getting to the top of the travelator at nearly the same time. Bad break for the doc as his time would almost certainly have been in the top 6 to move him into the semi-finals but you have to win your H2H matchup and get one of the top 6 times.

Also 1/2 second per point lead in the Eliminator is really next to nothing. You only have to watch the show once to realize that somebody who is excellent in the Eliminator can be pretty crappy in other events and they'll probably only be looking at a 5 second handicap at worst which they should overcome.

I would say they need to make it 1 second per point lead off or rework the show somehow so the points from the events matter more but I guess you want the final event to be for all the marbles and you'd want either contestant to have a chance to pull it out.

But yeah this season is not nearly as enjoyable for me as season 1. :cry:

[quote name='wubb']
Also 1/2 second per point lead in the Eliminator is really next to nothing. You only have to watch the show once to realize that somebody who is excellent in the Eliminator can be pretty crappy in other events and they'll probably only be looking at a 5 second handicap at worst which they should overcome.

I would say they need to make it 1 second per point lead off or rework the show somehow so the points from the events matter more but I guess you want the final event to be for all the marbles and you'd want either contestant to have a chance to pull it out.
[/quote]

I agree that there needs to be more incentive to do well in the events before. It just does not seem fair to totally dominate the whole competition only to lose in the Eliminator.

bread's done
Back