The Avatar thread!!! A masterpiece :)

You know, as much praise as I've heard for the movie, I think it will end up as a fairly Mediocre CGI flick. I just don't think it will be good *shrug*

I keep forgetting about this movie when whenever I hear Avatar I instantly think "The last Airbender".

But as for the movie, even thought it's James Cameron, I'm just not that interested in it. I can't even really tell what the basic plot's really about from the trailers.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I keep forgetting about this movie when whenever I hear Avatar I instantly think "The last Airbender".

But as for the movie, even thought it's James Cameron, I'm just not that interested in it. I can't even really tell what the basic plot's really about from the trailers.[/QUOTE]

When has a trailer ever really given a clear cut outline of the plot?

Anyway, if you watched a recent episode of South Park, it summarized the story pretty well.

Dances with Smurfs (Dances with Wolves). Human infiltrates native Navi tribe, loves a female native, and sympathizes with them. He then fights against his own human race.

True Lies didn't disappoint? Really? I thought it was meh, certainly compared to the other films listed. Avatar I'm not real excited about, I'm not quite sure why. I'm sure it'll be decent, but 10-years-in-the-making-fantastic? I doubt it.

[quote name='kilm']When has a trailer ever really given a clear cut outline of the plot?[/QUOTE]

Quite a few of them, honestly. I can get a basic idea of the premise of a movie based on the trailer most of the time, but in Avatar's case, it just looks like a bunch of stuff happening.

I'm sure there's a plot in there somewhere, but I can't tell form the trailers I've seen.

I saw the 15 min IMAX 3D preview and the trailers do NOT do it justice. It looks unbelievable. I can't wait to see this, epic is the only word to describe it.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I'm sure there's a plot in there somewhere, but I can't tell form the trailers I've seen.[/QUOTE]

If you watch the youtube video from the original post, and unless you just ignore the whole trailer or watch it without sound, you get everything you really need in regards to the plot.

Humans go to Pandora for $$$. They can't just kill the natives. Crippled man with the prospect of getting legs to walk on is sent to infiltrate and possibly eliminate the natives. He doesn't. Humans go to war against natives. He fights back against humans.

I dont care if it looks bad, i've loved all of Cameron's old movies sans Titanic

and the majority of reviews are all very good. 90 % on rotten tomaties.... ITS ON

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'll be seeing this one. James Cameron puts EVERTHING into his movies much like Spielberg, Lucas, Jackson, etc....I'm sure he won't disappoint.

[quote name='HydroX']hmm, an overpriced, overhyped steaming blue turd of a movie. can't wait.

I guess it's better than New Moon.[/QUOTE]

You could always go see Broken Embraces. That's opening this weekend too ;). :razz:

[quote name='Ronzilla']Yeah I'll be seeing this one. James Cameron puts EVERTHING into his movies much like Spielberg, Lucas, Jackson, etc....I'm sure he won't disappoint.[/QUOTE]

Yup :cool:

I'm not too thrilled about this movie. Typical man fights against a tribe, then sympathizes, then fights against his own people, movie. This one will just look prettier.

They've been pouring so much money into trying to convince people this movie will be so awesome and change everything and it's so much more than a movie, it seems people have been brainwashed into thinking it's the best movie ever, before ever seeing it.

I just can't seem to get attached... sure the hype machine will hype it more, but I'm doubting it'll break New Moons records...

[quote name='Ronzilla']Yeah I'll be seeing this one. James Cameron puts EVERTHING into his movies much like Spielberg, Lucas, Jackson, etc....I'm sure he won't disappoint.[/QUOTE]
Considering many peoples feelings about Episodes 1-3, and Indiana Jones 4, those might not be the best examples. I'm not saying they are bad directors, but am saying every director has movies many people wish they didn't make, or made differently.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Considering many peoples feelings about Episodes 1-3, and Indiana Jones 4, those might not be the best examples. I'm not saying they are bad directors, but am saying every director has movies many people wish they didn't make, or made differently.[/QUOTE]

What examples would you give? I personally have liked ALL the Star Wars movies and Indian Jones movies.
Haven't seen the 4th Indy so I won't comment on that. I agree with you that every director has a movie(s)
that they'd rather forget and that's part of the business.

But let me be clear, I'm NOT saying this is gonna be the best movie of all time. I'm just saying that I'm probably
going to enjoy it. I'm going with Cameron's odds on this.

The theater that I go to is only having 4 showings a day of the 3d and 2d film. I don't see this doing well at all if others are doing the same thing. However it is 2 hours and 40 minutes long from what yahoo movies shows. So now it comes down to paying the extra for the 3d or just seeing the normal one. I'm thinking about going with the 3d because I'm sure the bluray wont have that option and cameron does have his own 3d movie theater and has put in his own money into the tech for it. So the 3d should be really good.

[quote name='sendme']The theater that I go to is only having 4 showings a day of the 3d and 2d film. I don't see this doing well at all if others are doing the same thing. However it is 2 hours and 40 minutes long from what yahoo movies shows. So now it comes down to paying the extra for the 3d or just seeing the normal one. I'm thinking about going with the 3d because I'm sure the bluray wont have that option and cameron does have his own 3d movie theater and has put in his own money into the tech for it. So the 3d should be really good.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I heard the Avatar game is in 3d, but you had to have a special TV to actually be able to utilize it. So it wouldn't surprise me if when the movie comes out on DVD they make it 3d as well.

I was talkding about the movie. Some places have it in 3d and others just have the movie. However the theater I go to has it in both 4 showings a day of each. They just charge 2 or 3 bucks more for the 3d.

Alright. Saw it in 2D (3D doesn't seem to mesh well with my regular glasses. I don't know). Very good in my opinion. Went into it without much hype as it seems that the two camps (haters vs. lovers) were getting on my nerves. Knowing what would happen in the story I was a little worried how they would make the film interesting but with so much time they were able to create certain interesting characters and I fell in love with the world. Enjoyed my time in the theater which is the bottom line.

It was good, but...THE IMAX 3D WAS HOLY SHIT! Goddamn, that was a feast for the eyes. The movie and world was good on it's own, but seeing it in IMax 3D took it to a whole different level from what I was expecting.

I thought it was good too. This was actually the first time I had seen a movie with the newer version of 3D. Unfortunately, I couldn't go to an IMAX theater.

Good movie , but personally I thought Star Trek , District 9 and perhaps Up were better (for movies this year). I'd give it 4/5 stars.

The CG was beautiful and convincing , and the story , while somewhat predictable , was still good. It seemed to lack that emotional impact and/or strong character connection though that makes a 5 star movie for me.

If you guys went to the 3D version, did you keep the glasses afterword? I just put mine in a recycle bin they had for the glasses. I wonder if you keep them, would you have to pay that $3 charge again the next time you went to a 3D movie?

[quote name='erehwon']I wonder if you keep them, would you have to pay that $3 charge again the next time you went to a 3D movie?[/QUOTE]

Yes you would. This is the movie theaters weren't talking about here. I don't think you're paying the $3 for the dinky glasses anyway.

[quote name='erehwon']If you guys went to the 3D version, did you keep the glasses afterword? I just put mine in a recycle bin they had for the glasses. I wonder if you keep them, would you have to pay that $3 charge again the next time you went to a 3D movie?[/QUOTE]

There was actually someone waiting in line with my group to see avatar that brought their own pair of glasses.:lol:

But to answer your question , as DoK already said , yes you'd still have to pay the $3 "3D" charge. The extra cost is meant to cover the glasses , digital projectors , and the extra cost to produce the movie in 3D itself. Presumable if enough people didn't return the glasses they could probably jack up the rate further and use that as an excuse.

Ok, so let me get this straight. People are praising the movie simply for its CGI? Every review has said this: ZOMG teh graphics will make you shit your pants, but the story is cliche and predictable. 95%. What makes this movie any different from a Michael Bay film? Prettier graphics? That doesn't make a film good.

[quote name='slickkill77']Ok, so let me get this straight. People are praising the movie simply for its CGI? Every review has said this: ZOMG teh graphics will make you shit your pants, but the story is cliche and predictable. 95%. What makes this movie any different from a Michael Bay film? Prettier graphics?[/QUOTE]

Cliche story isn't the same as shitty story.

Avatar had predictable but entertaining story with pretty CG , Transformers had shitty story but action scenes with pretty CG.

I'd say watching a movie with CG that looks so good you might not realize it's CG despite having a "been there , done that" story is a fair tradeoff. Would having both be better? Sure. You've gotta see the movie for yourself though.

Eh I hate 3D. I saw Up in 3d and I couldn't stand looking at the screen for more than a few minutes. Hurt my eyes way to much. 3D just seems like a tacky throw on for movies these days. I would rather watch a movie like District 9 that has a solid story and good cgi, than something that is crappy but has a special niche to it (Paranormal Activity, Avatar).

The CG was great. I saw it on the Real 3d and I'm glad I did. The movie was great. You could tell what was going to happen but that still didn't take a way from it. I'm glad I saw it in 3d and I would check it on IMAX but the only one I know of in the St. Louis MO area that is close to the IL side does not have Avatar on the IMAX in 3d. I might have to get the game on this one just because I liked the movie so much.

Lucas doesn't put everything into his movies. The guy directs like shit. He's a "one take" kind. Clint Eastwood is too, but he's intimidating behind the camera, so the actors make sure that one attempt is pure gold. Lucas managed to make Neeson, McGregor, and Portman look like kids in a high school play.

Sorry to rant, but Lucas is a fucking hack that hasn't made a decent movie in decades. A one trick pony on life support. It makes me ill everytime they have that tacky Oscars thing where he comes out there with Coppola, Scorcese, and Spielberg. The guy has no business being up there.

[quote name='sendme']I was talkding about the movie. Some places have it in 3d and others just have the movie. However the theater I go to has it in both 4 showings a day of each. They just charge 2 or 3 bucks more for the 3d.[/QUOTE]
Gotcha. In the post I quoted you said you didn't think bluray would have the 3d option.

[quote name='slickkill77']Ok, so let me get this straight. People are praising the movie simply for its CGI? Every review has said this: ZOMG teh graphics will make you shit your pants, but the story is cliche and predictable. 95%. What makes this movie any different from a Michael Bay film? Prettier graphics? That doesn't make a film good.[/QUOTE]
Why aren't you allowed to praise great CG work and creativity?

Holy SHIT

Jame Cameron is Back

THAT

Movie

Was

SIck

as

Hell

a masterpiece, and i loved it.

Is it worth seeing in 3D? Is it like the old days with the red/blue glasses? Or is it better these days, where we can see it in 3D with perfect color and image quality?

no its like polorized glasses or something... no red and blue anymore.. and the 3d was incredible.. i've never seen anything like it.. and i've seen a lot of 3d movies in the Imax

Caught a midnight premiere in IMAX 3D.

Pure love. I came out of a theater shaking like a leaf, for the first time in ages. I think I saw new colors I've never seen before. I can't think of many movies with so rich of a world to think about. The story, yes, isn't the most original, but it was perfectly executed, as far as I'm concerned. The criticism I'm seeing is mostly pretentious film-school bullshit (and make no mistake, I'm into fussy art-cinema as well, but I'm not absorbed into only being able to enjoy that sort of thing, and obsessing over trying to apply the same measurements to a movie like Avatar; I pity people who are so absorbed into that sort of thing, as I think they just plain have less fun).

Absolutely wonderful. A magnificent movie. Will be back on Sunday.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Caught a midnight premiere in IMAX 3D.

Pure love. I came out of a theater shaking like a leaf, for the first time in ages.

Wonderful. Will be back on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

I know.. I loved it more than i thought i would... took a cute girl with me and totally ignored her because I was enthralled

Was it me, or did anyone else have a total crush on the the Lady Na'vi... she was something else

[quote name='GuyWithGun']So it wouldn't surprise me if when the movie comes out on DVD they make it 3d as well.[/QUOTE]

3D HDTV is poised to really take off, by most estimates in the second half of 2010 (and no, not that red/blue paper glasses shit that they've been including with DVDs of like, Shrek 3D or whatever; we're talking about active shutter polarized glasses, for an overall experience and technology very similar to what we're seeing in cinemas now). No question, some 3D home version of Avatar will be available, doubtless as a flagship title. Wouldn't count on DVD, though; all the talk about 3D home cinema is hinging on Blu-Ray being a required component.

bread's done
Back