The bad retail experience thread

[quote name='Dark Rider']If you are referring to mine, then yes that is what he said.

That is reason I posted it. It was as ridiculous as it gets. He acted like a 3yr old.[/QUOTE]

I'd have told him he is killing the planet with the amount of excess CO he is emitting by his idle banter. Take that you tree hugging bastid! :bouncy:

So the other day I went to Gamestop to see if I could take advantage of the B2G1 sale. I saw on the site that they had Mario 3D Land used, so I was hoping it’d be in stock. I walk in and go to the 3DS section, and the employee approaches.

Him: Can I help you find anything?
Me: Yes, do you have any used copies Mario 3D Land?
Him (without hesitation): Not at all. That game just came out, and it won’t be until next spring before people start trading it in.
Me: ok, well the Gamestop site said that this store had it in stock used.
Him: Well, the site takes 48 hours to update anyway so I’m sure it’s gone by now.
Me: OK. (pointing at the used games) Are these six games the only ones you have used?
Him: Yeah, but let me be honest with you. You don’t want any 3DS games. The 3DS is pretty much an N64 reloaded. Nintendo just looked at it and said, “what can we do? Oh, I know – copy Zelda. Copy Starfox. Copy Mario” It’s tanking. Within five years, Nintendo is going to go the way of Sega. Look at Sony. They’re Sony -they’ve got money. And Microsoft isn’t going anywhere. Yeah, there’s no way Nintendo will last.
Me: Didn’t the 3DS sell more in nine months than the original DS did in it’s first year?
Him: Yeah, well, their stocks are low. But you should get Skyrim for the PS3 – it’s amazing.
Me: No thanks. What about UMVC3? You don’t have that used do you?
Him: (again, no hesitation) No we don’t, but I’ll be honest with you. You don’t want it. It only has a few new characters and it’s really not that good. You should get the original Marvel vs Capcom 3 – it’s much better.

At this point a mom came to him asking about Skylanders and I got the hell out of the store, not buying anything just on principle. I went to another GS a few minutes away and they had a used copy of Mario Kart 3D in stock (which came out AFTER Mario Land).

I’m tempted to go back there and buy a two dollar GBA game just so I can get the receipt and file a bad review; but I’m not usually one to bitch. The employee wasn’t being a jerk or anything, just a misinformed fanboy who was knocking down what I wanted, and tried to sway my purchase to his system of choice. Plus he didn’t have a name tag and I wouldn’t want anyone else getting in trouble for his actions…

I hate when employees (of any store) give you their opinions when you don't ask for them. You asked him if they had a game in stock, not whether or not he liked that game.

I am at a BB crossroads.

There is a problem store in my area (actually the newest store as well) and the customer service manager is in a-hole that always tries to make my life miserable, even for something like a store pickup.

Long story short, I am going to write a letter to corporate since the 8-10 negative surveys aren't doing anything.

Now I was looking for the store info on facebook and I saw the guy in the BB pics, I clicked on his name and there are some compromising pics of him at a party in his BB uniform.

I am trying to decide if I should include the screen prints in my letter to corporate or if that violates facebook rules, is illegal, or is going to far.

[quote name='slowdive21']I am at a BB crossroads.

There is a problem store in my area (actually the newest store as well) and the customer service manager is in a-hole that always tries to make my life miserable, even for something like a store pickup.

Long story short, I am going to write a letter to corporate since the 8-10 negative surveys aren't doing anything.

Now I was looking for the store info on facebook and I saw the guy in the BB pics, I clicked on his name and there are some compromising pics of him at a party in his BB uniform.

I am trying to decide if I should include the screen prints in my letter to corporate or if that violates facebook rules, is illegal, or is going to far.[/QUOTE]
The Facebook pics are going too far IMO. His personal life is his personal life.

I am trying to decide if I should include the screen prints in my letter to corporate or if that violates facebook rules, is illegal, or is going to far.[/QUOTE]

As the old saying goes: Don't sink to their level.

its one thing to ask them to check up on him and get him to improve his customer service, it's another to take the guy's livelihood.

[quote name='pezmanmike']So the other day I went to Gamestop to see if I could take advantage of the B2G1 sale. I saw on the site that they had Mario 3D Land used, so I was hoping it’d be in stock. I walk in and go to the 3DS section, and the employee approaches.

Him: Can I help you find anything?
Me: Yes, do you have any used copies Mario 3D Land?
Him (without hesitation): Not at all. That game just came out, and it won’t be until next spring before people start trading it in.
Me: ok, well the Gamestop site said that this store had it in stock used.
Him: Well, the site takes 48 hours to update anyway so I’m sure it’s gone by now.
Me: OK. (pointing at the used games) Are these six games the only ones you have used?
Him: Yeah, but let me be honest with you. You don’t want any 3DS games. The 3DS is pretty much an N64 reloaded. Nintendo just looked at it and said, “what can we do? Oh, I know – copy Zelda. Copy Starfox. Copy Mario” It’s tanking. Within five years, Nintendo is going to go the way of Sega. Look at Sony. They’re Sony -they’ve got money. And Microsoft isn’t going anywhere. Yeah, there’s no way Nintendo will last.
Me: Didn’t the 3DS sell more in nine months than the original DS did in it’s first year?
Him: Yeah, well, their stocks are low. But you should get Skyrim for the PS3 – it’s amazing.
Me: No thanks. What about UMVC3? You don’t have that used do you?
Him: (again, no hesitation) No we don’t, but I’ll be honest with you. You don’t want it. It only has a few new characters and it’s really not that good. You should get the original Marvel vs Capcom 3 – it’s much better.

At this point a mom came to him asking about Skylanders and I got the hell out of the store, not buying anything just on principle. I went to another GS a few minutes away and they had a used copy of Mario Kart 3D in stock (which came out AFTER Mario Land).

I’m tempted to go back there and buy a two dollar GBA game just so I can get the receipt and file a bad review; but I’m not usually one to bitch. The employee wasn’t being a jerk or anything, just a misinformed fanboy who was knocking down what I wanted, and tried to sway my purchase to his system of choice. Plus he didn’t have a name tag and I wouldn’t want anyone else getting in trouble for his actions…[/QUOTE]

I think the store manager and corporation would frown on this as a whole, the job of an employee is not to comment on a gamer's tastes but it is their job to sell you something regardless of how bad they think the product is. The 3DS was pretty bad at the beginning, but its obviously proven that a couple new mario games are enough to sell the system to people at least to play those 2 games. If this guy keeps doing this he is obviously losing sales for the store. I have no problem with game suggestions but they should only be given if a customer asks for suggestions on a game.

I vote 'ruin his ass'. Although if he's such a dick every time, then he'll likely get a job very quickly at Gamestop, since I think that's one of the requirements to work there for some of their staff.:lol:

Obviously since the negative surveys aren't doing anything, I would suggest going higher up in the chain of command because probably his higher-ups think what he's doing is ok or just don't give a crap.

If anything, I would try a complaint on the Best Buy Unboxed forums on the BB website before shooting off an email/letter to corporate. They may be able to fix some of the issues.

[quote name='Drclaw411']its one thing to ask them to check up on him and get him to improve his customer service, it's another to take the guy's livelihood.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, many companies have a policy that as long as you are wearing your work outfit, you are still representing the company, whether or not you are on the clock. If you are engaged in questionable activities while in uniform, you are tarnishing the company by your actions.

I would point them in that direction, but don't make it look like you are stalking him. That could easily backfire and lead to legal trouble for yourself.

[quote name='sp00ge']To be fair, many companies have a policy that as long as you are wearing your work outfit, you are still representing the company, whether or not you are on the clock. If you are engaged in questionable activities while in uniform, you are tarnishing the company by your actions.

I would point them in that direction, but don't make it look like you are stalking him. That could easily backfire and lead to legal trouble for yourself.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was getting at, but I am not sure if it will go over well. (Or if it is illegal to copy the pics or whatever).

Maybe I will allude to the fact that there are questionable pics directly linked to their store's facebook page.

This is exactly how I found them. I went to the specific store's FB page to check the hours (since the BB.com never shows holiday hours) Saw a cute girl in the pics at the top of the page and started scrolling through them and saw the dude that give me a hard time (made an audible "UGH"), clicked on his "name tag" and it went to his profile, clicked on pics and saw the BB uniform/party pics.

Since when is finding publicly accessible pictures on the internet "stalking?" I guarantee you no DA in the country would press those kind of charges based on that. A private lawsuit is a different story, but I'd still say highly unlikely... especially if the questionable pictures are right on the store's own Facebook page... please.

I say do it. fuck this guy. Write your letter, attach the pictures, and include information on where they can publicly access those pictures on one of the company's Facebook pages.

I also second the the recommendation to bitch on the Best Buy Unboxed forums. Once you manage to get their attention they'll actually contact the store manager if not the DM. But I probably wouldn't mention the FB pictures there because they'll just get pulled before you can use them against this jerk.

There's nothing illegal about sharing public photos. I say go for it.

digging for pictures of a guy at a party having a good time to get that guy fired?

thats pretty sad.. even if hes a d-bag to you in the store

i would just go to another establishment if its that big of a deal

[quote name='kingtut313']digging for pictures of a guy at a party having a good time to get that guy fired?

thats pretty sad.. even if hes a d-bag to you in the store

i would just go to another establishment if its that big of a deal[/QUOTE]
Obviously he didn't really care to make those photos private. By wearing his BB clothing to said party, he was representing the company, even if he didn't think so.

You'd be surprised what people can find out about you on the internet with just a simple free search anymore.:D

Believe me, if I could get some sorta dirt on certain d-bag employees within Gamestop's hierarchy I would absolutely ruin their asses, but then again I'm just an evil vindictive sunzabitch who holds a grudge forever. fuck me once and I'll get even with yer ass....someday.:twisted:;)

There are certain people who have fucked me over so badly that I wouldn't even waste my urine on to put them out if they were on fire.:evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Obviously he didn't really care to make those photos private. By wearing his BB clothing to said party, he was representing the company, even if he didn't think so.

You'd be surprised what people can find out about you on the internet with just a simple free search anymore.:D

Believe me, if I could get some sorta dirt on certain d-bag employees within Gamestop's hierarchy I would absolutely ruin their asses, but then again I'm just an evil vindictive sunzabitch who holds a grudge forever. fuck me once and I'll get even with yer ass....someday.:twisted:;)

There are certain people who have fucked me over so badly that even if I were a doctor and I saw them bleeding to death along the side of the road I probably wouldn't even stop to try and help. If one of these people were on fire, I wouldn't even waste my piss to put them out.:evil:[/QUOTE]
i understand that theres no legal boundary to not report said photo and i understand that some people hold grudges til the casket drops.. im just saying.. to me.. it seems petty to try and dig up dirt on somebody for how you were treated at a store even if they were an asshole

[quote name='kingtut313']i understand that theres no legal boundary to not report said photo and i understand that some people hold grudges til the casket drops.. im just saying.. to me.. it seems petty to try and dig up dirt on somebody for how you were treated at a store even if they were an asshole[/QUOTE]

I really didn't "try". I would have found his profile over a year ago if I was actually looking for it. I am not the only person who has complained about him either. I would shop at another store, but they are the only one within 30 miles that has the stuff I am looking for in stock. Trust me, I try to avoid it if I can. I don't like getting annoyed and people that know me personally, know it takes a lot to get me mad.

I agree, it's petty. I still say go for it. I have a feeling it won't get the guy fired, but maybe they'll get on his ass and he'll start being nicer to customers. Or at the very least, you'll feel better.

Some companies also just don't give a shit what you do on your own time, but if you're wearing your Best Buy gear to a party and then posting photos of the results on Facebook, quite frankly, you're a bit of a dumbass and you probably deserve it in the first place. So don't feel bad.

Ugh, it really seems like Best Buy/Gamestop actively hire and promote those type of dominate, doughebag-like personalities for management. I wonder if gamestop ever will suffer the slow decline that best buy is going through right now. There's gotta be something on the horizon that will cause them to slowly slink into irrelevance. Their brand of store experience is just terrible.

[quote name='Survivalism']Some companies also just don't give a shit what you do on your own time, but if you're wearing your Best Buy gear to a party and then posting photos of the results on Facebook, quite frankly, you're a bit of a dumbass and you probably deserve it in the first place. So don't feel bad.[/QUOTE]

You're always representing your company whether wearing a shirt or not. I.E. a bunch of jobs a DUI is enough to get you fired even if your job doesn't require travel.

I feel bad because there are too many people like this in the U.S. So the options are keep them employed and deal with substandard service, or get them fired and pay for them to get welfare/medicaid. Either way it's not too appealing.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']You're always representing your company whether wearing a shirt or not. I.E. a bunch of jobs a DUI is enough to get you fired even if your job doesn't require travel.

I feel bad because there are too many people like this in the U.S. So the options are keep them employed and deal with substandard service, or get them fired and pay for them to get welfare/medicaid. Either way it's not too appealing.[/QUOTE]

Unemployment Compensation Benefits aren't guaranteed. If you are fired for knowingly/willingly breaking company policy, the company can, and usually will, challenge your claim for UC benefits. If this guy signed a sheet saying he received the employee handbook, he was legally made aware of all company policies and procedures.

[quote name='jer7583']Ugh, it really seems like Best Buy/Gamestop actively hire and promote those type of dominate, doughebag-like personalities for management. I wonder if gamestop ever will suffer the slow decline that best buy is going through right now. There's gotta be something on the horizon that will cause them to slowly slink into irrelevance. Their brand of store experience is just terrible.[/QUOTE]

Digital Distribution may kill them in the future, but this is probably a long way off, as gamestop deals mostly in software. If the industry goes all DD someday there will simply be no place for Gamestop as it is today. There is no way they could just exist on selling video game hardware and DLC cards. The addition of online passes and DLC codes is already hurting their used business, as people will go elsewhere to buy the games new if they don't get the same stuff as a new game especially since used prices are so close to new prices. There are also other stores like Best Buy that are doing video game trade in's now on a large scale, so Gamestop is no longer the only game in town for game trade in's.

But I am guessing they could also potentially gravitate to a generic electronics store trade in, something they are already doing with their i-Devices trade ins.

I also agree that they specifically hire douchebags as employees and managers, every single gamestop I have been in has the exact same type of employee with almost the exact same personality so they are definitely looking for a certain personality when hiring. If the employees don't have that attitude yet then they gain it because they are working there, if they last long enough.

If their policies and sales get bad enough, and people stop shopping there that is when the decline will happen, unfortunately as of right now pretty much everyone is still shopping at Gamestop and the stores are packed with people buying games. I don't think the hardcore fanbase is shopping there anymore though, its mostly the casuals, hardcore gamers want their games for less money and now prefer shopping at Amazon or one of many other online retailers for games.

[quote name='SaraAB']If their policies and sales get bad enough, and people stop shopping there that is when the decline will happen, unfortunately as of right now pretty much everyone is still shopping at Gamestop and the stores are packed with people buying games. I don't think the hardcore fanbase is shopping there anymore though, its mostly the casuals, hardcore gamers want their games for less money and now prefer shopping at Amazon or one of many other online retailers for games.[/QUOTE]
There is a poll on Gamefaqs today about where you would go to buy a new game. I clicked on the results expecting Amazon to be the winner, but Gamestop is way ahead of the pack. Baffling.

"Hardcore" gamers are actually a pretty small percentage of the game-buying public. They're just the most vocal so they make a disproportionate amount of noise. Most people who buy games have no problem getting them from GS. As long as the game works that's all that really matters to them.

While CAG has a pretty large online presence + all the lurkers on this site and sites like SD, I'd say the people "like us" buying video games and trying to find deals is probably just a tiny percentage of the millions of people buying video games in the country. Tons of people just walk in and pay whatever the price is, especially if money isn't a concern to them or if they have to have it NOW. And yeah, they don't care where they get the game from: "GameStop? Best Buy? Here, take my $60."

[quote name='kodave']While CAG has a pretty large online presence + all the lurkers on this site and sites like SD, I'd say the people "like us" buying video games and trying to find deals is probably just a tiny percentage of the millions of people buying video games in the country. Tons of people just walk in and pay whatever the price is, especially if money isn't a concern to them or if they have to have it NOW. And yeah, they don't care where they get the game from: "GameStop? Best Buy? Here, take my $60."[/QUOTE]

Yep, I chat with a buddy of mine at work and occasionally he'll tell me he's going to gamestop to get a game that's $60, I'll tell him it's on sale at amazon or Best Buy for $20, and he'll still go get it for $60. But hey, his money.

Yeah, some people are really weird about not taking advantage of good deals. I don't know if it's somehow too hard to use the internet, they're too lazy/stupid, or they just don't believe me but so many people will end up paying full price after I tell them how to save money. Just recently, I gave my brother-in-law the URL to an Xbox 360 with Kinect for $200 because he wanted it for his fiancé. He went and bought it somewhere else for full MSRP. When he's sitting there talking about all of his debt and stressing out about buying a house, I really thought he would've appreciated saving $100 or so.

Yes, unfortunately those people that need the deal the most (and probably shouldn't even be plunking down $60 for a video game) are the ones that do not take the advice. I can tell people specifically how to get a deal and they will go spend their money at Gamestop where the item costs the most.

I have also specifically showed people how to sell a game on ebay and get a lot more than Gamestop trade in values, and this is a family that already sells items on ebay so they know the process and have it already set up. However the kid still went to Gamestop and traded in the game. I shudder to think of the financial problems our children will have when they get older because they are used to having everything and anything handed to them at a whim's notice.

Its because its "convenience" to them. They don't want to deal with "extra" steps in order to get whatever it is they want even if it means getting a far better deal.

I honestly think most people just are oblivious to Amazon and other great places to get video games. I was this way a while ago, and walked in and paid $50 to GameStop for a new copy of MAG. I still shudder when I think about it now.

Nowadays, I am the definition of a CAG. I'm not this way when I buy other stuff, but when I have a target range for what I want in video games and hardware, I don't care if it goes on sale somewhere for $3 more than my maximum on say, a $20 game. I won't budge.

The other thing I don't get is the laziness excuse. Selling games on eBay barely takes ten minutes total of effort, excluding PO trips. If taking two minutes to start an auction is really that hard, use Amazon's trade-in for heaven's sake. Credit can be used on pretty much anything and TIVs are sometimes better than selling on eBay once you subtract fees.

If you still need a reason to hate GameStop, go on Youtube or Dailymotion and look up "zero originality".

Last edited by a moderator:
In reality people are just lazy and they want it now. I also don't understand how selling a game on ebay is more effort than driving to Gamestop to trade it in (especially if you are already set up to sell items on ebay). Especially with ebay now having mobile selling apps where you can take a picture of the game and upload it instantly right from your mobile device with no transferring required. It doesn't even matter if you take a picture of the game or not you can even use a stock photo as long as you say if the game comes with manual, case and disc you are fine.

Ok maybe I can understand if you don't live near a post office, but that is not the case here, as we have at least 3 post offices in our city.

Amazon trade in is also a better option as the credit can be spent on anything, you aren't restricted to products only in gamestop.

I have tried selling games elsewhere and honestly taking a game to the fleamarket for me is more work than shipping one out on ebay because I have to drive 45-60 min depending on traffic, haul my bags of stuff (I am not going in there empty handed) and then haggle with the dealers there so I can get a decent price on my items. It does work though. It takes less time for me to put up a listing, pack the item and take it to the post office. Ebay gives sellers 50 free listings every month so there really is no excuse for me not to be listing things on ebay.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Heck, you don't even have to visit the post office these days. Just print out a slip and stick the envelope in your mailbox.[/QUOTE]

True, but I don't have a postal scale, I guess you could estimate the postage though.

[quote name='SaraAB']True, but I don't have a postal scale, I guess you could estimate the postage though.[/QUOTE]

Or if you are only shipping games, just get a cheap kitchen (drug dealer) scale from Walmart for

[quote name='ZombieToast']Heck, you don't even have to visit the post office these days. Just print out a slip and stick the envelope in your mailbox.[/QUOTE]

That works if you have a couple of small things.

My post office will not do pickups unless it is Priority mail.

I usually go every 2 days, since I usually have to go out anyway.

[quote name='slowdive21']That works if you have a couple of small things.

My post office will not do pickups unless it is Priority mail.

I usually go every 2 days, since I usually have to go out anyway.[/QUOTE]

My mailman is cool. He'll take anything I leave out, although I will usually run large shipments to the PO myself. But there have been times when I was carrying out numerous Hods to my Jeep and he offered to take them for me. I'm talking 100+ pieces, sometimes all First-Class. The guy he replaced was a dick, though. Guy refused to take even the smallest of shipments (3-5 pieces) without a scheduled pickup, because, as he stated, that's the only way he gets credit for the pickup. I'm sure his attitude has a lot to do with why he is no longer with this PO.

If you're doing stuff under 2 to 2.5 lbs (including the under 13 oz. first class stuff), go to Big Lots and buy a food scale for about $3. Very accurate and much cheaper than the post office scales.

I pretty much wait 6 months to buy most any new game. That pretty much assures me that I'm getting a good price ;)

I do make exceptions. I bought Portal 2 and the new Zelda on launch day (but I DID buy them online and DID get a way better price than the MSRP).

[quote name='SaraAB']
You can also drop packages 13 oz or under right into the mailbox if you are having trouble with pickups.[/QUOTE]

The 13 oz rule only applies to items with stamps. If you print the shipping label online you can put an item with any weight in the mailbox.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Yeah, some people are really weird about not taking advantage of good deals. I don't know if it's somehow too hard to use the internet, they're too lazy/stupid, or they just don't believe me but so many people will end up paying full price after I tell them how to save money. Just recently, I gave my brother-in-law the URL to an Xbox 360 with Kinect for $200 because he wanted it for his fiancé. He went and bought it somewhere else for full MSRP. When he's sitting there talking about all of his debt and stressing out about buying a house, I really thought he would've appreciated saving $100 or so.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my friends, I have told them about this site a lot over the past 7 years, they never are interested. When we are at the mall and go into Gamestop and one of them picks up a game, I tell them where it can be bought for less and they still buy it there. Even when Best Buy had those Flingsmash Wii Remote Bundles for $7.99 last month, I emailed everyone and told them and only 1 person bothered responding thanking me for letting them know even though a few of them have mentioned in the past they wanted more Wii Remotes but didn't want to spend $40 on them.

^^^ I have about 2-3 friends that know how to use teh intrawebz to buy things. They also happen to be gamers, so they're the only friends that I bother even telling about such deals.

What I find most bizarre, is that younger people (16-22ish) seem the most inept at using the web. I'm 33, but I do run into a lot of younger folks as I run a local car club that has weekly meets (and thus I meet people of all different ages). I'm often asked questions that the simplest of google searches could remedy. It blows my mind. If I grew up with the web, I've gotta imagine that I'd be incredibly familiar with it. Hell, if I don't know the answers to said questions off the top of my head, I'll often just whip out my phone and look it up for them. Boggles the mind...

[quote name='Demolition Man']NSFW

[/QUOTE]

Omg I totally remember watching that video. I laughed so hard during various parts. I don't understand why people shop there anyways...

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The 13 oz rule only applies to items with stamps. If you print the shipping label online you can put an item with any weight in the mailbox.

Sounds like my friends, I have told them about this site a lot over the past 7 years, they never are interested. When we are at the mall and go into Gamestop and one of them picks up a game, I tell them where it can be bought for less and they still buy it there. Even when Best Buy had those Flingsmash Wii Remote Bundles for $7.99 last month, I emailed everyone and told them and only 1 person bothered responding thanking me for letting them know even though a few of them have mentioned in the past they wanted more Wii Remotes but didn't want to spend $40 on them.[/QUOTE]

Honestly we all have friends like that. Around September, my friend told me he was going to preorder four or five games. I'm positive that most of them qualify for the 5 for $100 certificate at BBY. I went through the whole thing how it would break down the cost of his games etc. He then replied, "I have them preordered at GameStop." That money saved could have went towards something else like a new game or something. I understand that you shop we're you're comfortable at, but damn. I think I shopped there maybe once or twice after I found I found out about this site. Their trade-ins suck, the experience...there's no redeeming factors at all.

This video is exactly what I think of GameStop along with this one.
GameShop

Reading through this, it really is amazing how many of us are 'that guy' when it comes to being ignored about prices. It blows my mind.

On the lead-up to Christmas, a guy at work decided out of the blue that he wanted a 3DS because there was a Resident Evil game coming out (in February). As you likely know from the deal forum, there LITERALLY wasn't a week from Thanksgiving til Christmas that there wasn't a retailer offering some kind of giftcard with the 3DS. Some weeks it was $20-30, others it was only $10... but still, anything that will help you get games for you new system is good, right? Apparently not. I updated him every time the ads came out, yet he still walked in one day and told me that he just went to GameStop, paid $170, and had to get blue because it's all they had. On top of that, he traded in 5 360 games from the past year (including a never opened MW3) for $40. I just... I just don't get it. He didn't even pick up a 3DS game until week AFTER that. Argh.

It's just bizarre to me that people will always come to me for game recommendations, but as soon as I start talking prices they just tune the fuck out. It's kind of, you know, aggravating.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Omg I totally remember watching that video. I laughed so hard during various parts. I don't understand why people shop there anyways...

GameShop[/QUOTE]

I think for convenience, nothing else. As an adult gamer, I cannot stand going into places like Gamestop. The employees stand behind the counter talking loudly about all sorts of inappropriate things, when you actually need help, they groan and moan, and on top of that there's (of course) the irritating up-selling barrage. Ugh, no thanks.

That video pretty much sums it up, save for all the BS that goes on BEFORE you actually get to the counter. NO! I don't want to reserve any games! This isn't the 90's where cartridge production is a slow process and on launch day there will indeed be limited copies of any popular game. DVDs/CDs can be manufactured at almost any rate of speed that they want. I can literally get (insert new, popular title here) ANYWHERE! Ugh.

[quote name='007']Reading through this, it really is amazing how many of us are 'that guy' when it comes to being ignored about prices. It blows my mind.

It's just bizarre to me that people will always come to me for game recommendations, but as soon as I start talking prices they just tune the fuck out. It's kind of, you know, aggravating.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much why I gave up. If they don't want the advice/info/etc, then why bother :/

[quote name='SaraAB']I think the store manager and corporation would frown on this as a whole, the job of an employee is not to comment on a gamer's tastes but it is their job to sell you something regardless of how bad they think the product is. The 3DS was pretty bad at the beginning, but its obviously proven that a couple new mario games are enough to sell the system to people at least to play those 2 games. If this guy keeps doing this he is obviously losing sales for the store. I have no problem with game suggestions but they should only be given if a customer asks for suggestions on a game.[/QUOTE]

That story really does suck. I hate when they try to knock down your intended purchase because they don't want to help you or whatever. If he keeps doing that, I'm positive he'll get in trouble for that. When I used to work at GameCrazy years ago, I would give my honest opinion if customers asked for it. I was knowledgeable about the games that were out etc. I had to sway a customer from buying Damnation.... Those were the days though. I would never outright tell a customer this game sucks/we don't have it or whatever. If they wanted to buy a crappy game and we had it in stock, I sold it to them. I really miss those free rentals though. ;) I'm glad I don't have to work at GameStop because I couldn't deal with it...

Since CAGs are mentioning people not taking advice on saving money while buying video games I got a funny one. I was at Toys R Us a few years ago and saw some older ladies looking to buy a game for the PSP. They were clearly buying some Disney/cartoon etc type game for a younger family member and seemed to be looking at the $20 or less games. I pointed out a Shrek game that was IIRC $5 thinking it may help them if it fits the bill vs picking out a game that was $15-20. The lady picked it up looked at it and said something about how Shrek was "crude" as if some justification for why it had to be marked down cheaper vs other similar games and put it back.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']
GameShop[/QUOTE]
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's exactly how some of the clerks are too. Even if you tell them you're not interested in the nicest possible way, it's like they ignored what you said completely and just go back to the upselling shtick.:roll:

Between that video and the Zero Originality series I have laughed my ass off a ton. The sad part is that most of what is covered in both does happen more often than you think.:cry:

bread's done
Back