The Best Game Ever Made

greendragon.gif

My personal favorite is Portal. It mixed a great premise with hilariously dark humor, outstanding, fresh gameplay, and possibly the coolest villain of all time. It was the best experience I've ever had with game, and I was truly sad to see it end. Honorable mentions include: Resident Evil (entire series), DKC 3, Tony Hawk (entire series), Quake, Resistance, Yoshi's Island, there are really too many to name, and I'm probably leaving out a lot.

There's 4 games I feel deserve my nominations:
-Megaman 2 (the best one imo)
-Earthbound
-PC: Syndicate
-Final Fantasy 6

I would probably go with megaman 2...it was just so badass....we need more megaman in our lives

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

It just never gets old, no matter how many times I beat it. It just brings back so many memories.

best fighting game is smash bros melee, best plat former is super mario bros 3, best puzzle game is tetris

i also loved super mario kart, imagine playing that one online

if you were trapped on an island with only 1 game what would it be?
i think that would be a better question.

then my vote goes to tetris or some sort of puzzle game

It's hard to choose so I've got three. Arcade: Galaga, Platforming: Castlevania: SotN, RPG: Chrono Trigger

Hmm this is a tough one. I can't say these are the best but I had fun with them-

Ikari Wariors NES
Power Stone 2 Dreamcast
Zelda

and ALTERED BEAST!!!!!!!
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!!

[quote name='guinaevere']You realize we were talking Old School games, right?[/QUOTE]

The OP never stated the game had to be Old School. He just wanted to know what everyone's favorite game was. And, last time I checked, this was the Old School & Other Gaming Systems forum, not the Old School forum. Don't want to sound like an ass, just thought I should point that out.

I'd say Chrono Trigger, thats the only game I've actually played through more than once.

I don't understand why people get orgasms over Xenogears though... I can't stand all those japanese animation cut scenes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I can choose one overall. I mean, I have faves, but they are far from being the best across the board. SMB3 comes closest, but IMO has been surpassed in many respects.

Call of Duty 4 may be the best experience I've had in the current gen, both Single and Multi, but last gen, I'd be hard pressed to find a game that I enjoyed more than Halo 2, with the exception of Panzer Orta. Hell, I might even go genre specific.

Too damn much to narrow it down...I mean, what about Tetris???? Comparatively, I've probably played the same game across the most platforms in some form of Tetris. Then where does Street Fighter fit in? And I've probably put more hours into hockey games than anything else over my gaming history...I might have played NHL 92-3-4 combined more than anything else. Hmm...I'll have to think about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='facemeat']And, last time I checked, this was the Old School & Other Gaming Systems forum, not the Old School forum. Don't want to sound like an ass, just thought I should point that out.[/quote]Other Gaming Systems Forum meaning, not PC, not xbox or 360, not psp, ps2 or ps3, not GameCube or Wii or DS or GBA. ;)

Wow, tough questions, it's hard to narrow it down.

Oldschool, has to be either Baseball Stars or Tecmo Super Bowl. I don't know how many hours of my life were spent on either of those. (Really oldschool, Pepper II on Coleco)

More recent... Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I loved that game, my wife loved watching me play it. Storyline, graphics (at the time), all very immersing. Spawned my interest in the whole series.

Castlevania SoTN, incredible, although it spawned my greatest display of gamer rage. I was over 100% done with it, and planning on finishing it out. Turned it on and my POS Mad Catz Memory Card had nothing on it. It subsequently flew all the way across the house and broke against the wall. I haven't had the heart to restart over, 9 years later. :)

Online wise, TetriNet and Acrophobia were wonderful. Xbox Live wise, Midtown Madness 3. (As I suck tremendously at FPSers)

[quote name='Redie']Allota people own alotta games they are called sellers but then again alot of people own alot of games but yet have played any of them?

Wohh woooh wait a second you take pleasure games......taht is a bit too much information for us....between you and me I take pleasure in games also.

Was pretty much the entire N64 collection of Americas and Europe.

Well duh that is only thing people in USA went crazy over along with the rest of the world.

There is a topic for this and is below this one

Super Metroid is grand but to be honest in Japan it was not well taken thus it was one of two failures that made the creator of Gameboy Gunpei Yoko leave Nintendo. Now I call that pride.

That is only because FFVII is only FF6 in 3d and the game was sappose to take place in Midgar. Personally I have been playing around with the game for awhile and it seems to be a run of the mill commercial post apocolyptic future perfect RPG. What is so diffrent and great about the game. Far East Of Eden and Grandia is much better games and series from my observation.

BASH!!!!!

smash_medium.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elestratografico/sets/72157601972764410/

cb_sound3.gif

Really...

How so?????!!!?!!????

Now merge the topics.

The turth is SNES is the RPG king and will allways be. PSX just had high use of
3d in it's RPG games. The Saturn is probably the next best thing along with the original NES and PCE. running in the back. Never the Genesis since it is known for it's action titles.

The thing is mini games along with action/adeventure games ( including comic games ) will allways be the best period.

I was going to describe a whole bunch of games but I will just do one per weekly

Bomberman -Even after the Uni-bomber, the Twin Towers bombing people will still continue to say BLOW ME SILLY, BLOW ME HARD, I BLEWED U T KINGDOM COME. I WILL MAKE U XPLODE and other words. Bomberman reaching it's peak on the N64 was a something to admire and play. The series is perfected beyond it's years. In fact I am listening to the Second Attack right now.[/quote]
How the hell did you become such an authority on videogames? You are a true asshole. All you did was waste alot of space in this thread. Dumbass!

There is no, one, single best game ever. To decide this, at best, we can break it down by genre and then judge each game in their respective genres by Story, Graphics, etc. etc.

Hmm, best game ever made. Personally, I'd have to go with mega man x3, every mega man game after that was a waste of time. Realistically, I have to give it to tetris though. It's really simple to understand, starts out slow enough for newbs, and over time gets more and more difficult that it can even challenge elite gamers.

Ghouls N' Ghosts - I prefer the Arcade version but the Genesis port was great. I used to be able to beat it without continuing but now I can only get to the final level of the second loop. Still my favorite game of all time.

StarCraft hands down. It is the perfect RTS. Races are unique and PERFECTLY balanced. Game play is streamlined, with the perfect mix of micro and macro managing. Units are not bogged down with useless special abilities ,and the vast majority of units are useful. New strategies are constantly being developed and online is still very competitive. Matches are paced well and very suspenseful. The only RTS series that can compete with starcraft is the total war series, but these are a whole different type of RTS.

For me it's Lords of Thunder (and to a lesser extent, Gate of Thunder) on the TurboDuo. It had awesome graphics, gameplay that was challenging but not unforgiving, and the rock soundtrack still has yet to be bested to this day. Some of my friends that haven't even seen it in over a decade can still hum the opening music. lol

Arcade: Pac-man. Apparently, a yellow nugget-eating monster can get chased by ghost and receive commercial success and bring video games into the mainstream.

RPG: Ultima 3-6, those are what real role playing games should be.

Shooter: Wolfenstein 3D

I would have to put in another vote for Tetris. It is a game I still pick up and play quite often even all these many years later.

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature or Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. I'm gonna be the underdog and pick Harvest Moon though. :D

Hmm.. looked through most of the posts and no one seems to remember or think Elite was the best?! Such a good game where I waisted many weekends on :)

Mango

Im young so this era is where its at for me. Aalthough i love a classic sidescroller.

RPG: Fable or Mass Effect
Shooter: Halo series hands down
Sports: Madden series

Its a toss up between Zork and the original Sim City on the mac and that damn tecmo bowl for Nintendo, 4 plays to choose from how much easier can it get for a football game. I still have the orignal Sim City floppy disk in the box somewhere.

Well, personally, I have to separate my favorite games of all time into new school (Dreamcast-beyond) and old school (PS1-before):

Old School:Sin and Punishment/Paper Mario
New School: Resident Evil 4

And I really can't understand where Pacman is coming from, I mean, I understand it is your opinion, but Pacman (as the game, and maybe even the series) has aged terribly. Granted, I'm 17, but I can still appreciate the classics (Space Invaders/Pitfall especially). Have you even played a game of arcade Pacman recently? I can't even keep interested within 1 single level. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's not....who knows?

bread's done
Back