The best of PS3

Your best bet would be to snag a PS+ subscription. You'll instantly get access to some great games and the plus discounts will help you build up your library over the course of your subscription. In terms of what I've played and what I would suggest:

God of War series

Heavy Rain

Infamous series

Killzone series

The Last of Us

LittleBigPlanet 2

MLB: The Show

MotorStorm series

Resistance series

Uncharted series

Also keep in mind the various PSN exclusives such as Journey and all of the Sony-exclusive HD collections that PS3 has to offer. 

The last of us
Journey
Uncharted series
Heavy rain
Ico/sotc collection
Valkyria chronicles
Fat princess
Wipeout 2048

There's more but I can't think right now.

I loved the God of War series when I had my PS2. I only made it through the first two though. I'm definitely going to try to get the box set at a discount. Games like Heavy Rain, Infamous, and The Last of Us made me upset that I went with Xbox 360 when I bought a console this generation. I've heard a lot about the Uncharted series, so I saw Gamestop had the first two relatively cheap so I now have those on a shelf waiting to be played.  I also saw a game named Lair, It looks interesting. If you have played it, what are your thoughts?   

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the God of War series when I had my PS2. I only made it through the first two though. I'm definitely going to try to get the box set at a discount. Games like Heavy Rain, Infamous, and The Last of Us made me upset that I went with Xbox 360 when I bought a console this generation. I've a lot of the Uncharted series, so I saw Gamestop had the first two relatively cheap so I know have those on a shelf waiting to be played. I also saw a game named Lair, It looks interesting. If you have played it, what are your thoughts?
Terrible. Not as bad as when it launched but still bad. Same with Haze. Stay away from those two exclusives.

I too went with Xbox this gen and while I don't regret it, I do want to play the exclusives from the PS3 eventually. I almost pulled the trigger on Newegg's PS3 deal last week but refrained. I'm waiting to see what Playstation does with Gaikai and their streaming game service. If I can just buy a PS4 and be able to play/stream the games I wish without having to spend the extra $300 on a PS3 now, I'll do that. I think I'm going to grab a 3DS to get me by until next gen. That and my backlog of 360 games.

I loved the God of War series when I had my PS2. I only made it through the first two though. I'm definitely going to try to get the box set at a discount. Games like Heavy Rain, Infamous, and The Last of Us made me upset that I went with Xbox 360 when I bought a console this generation. I've a lot of the Uncharted series, so I saw Gamestop had the first two relatively cheap so I know have those on a shelf waiting to be played. I also saw a game named Lair, It looks interesting. If you have played it, what are your thoughts?
A note about God of War 3: They really toned down the puzzle aspect, so unless you thought God of War should focus more on action and less on puzzles, skip it.

This is great! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm making a list of games so I can try to catch them on sell.

If your a big open world type of player skyrim and fallout games are pretty good.
I like the idea of those games and would love to just watch the story, I wouldn't have near enough time to play them 100%.

This is great! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm making a list of games so I can try to catch them on sell.

I like the idea of those games and would love to just watch the story, I wouldn't have near enough time to play them 100%.
Lucky for you the main story of Skyrim is very short! Lol

The meat to Skyrim is in the side quests and all the other things you can do. I for one wasn't happy with how Skyrim's menus and skill set ups were laid out, but then again, I was a long time Elder Scrolls fan. Well, at least since Morrowind. IMHO, I enjoyed Oblivion much much more. (I have bought Oblivion 3 times. Twice for PC and Once for the 360. I lost one of my PC copies in a move.)

For exclusives definitely the last of us, uncharted series, infamous series, killzone even though some don't care for it, MLB the show really craps on 2k if your a baseball fan.

As a side note I will say I really enjoy playing COD on ps3 vs 360.

If you like artsy games you should check out the games by Santa Monica Studios: Flower, Journey, Unfinished Swan.  Also maybe Sound Shapes.  Those are all PSN games.  I mention them because most of the other games are covered above.

If you're into JRPG's you could get Tales of Graces F and Ni No Kuni (Kuni is a bit cliched but is fun anyway and very beautiful).  I'd definitely reiterate some of the above that you should get the Uncharted series.  The first game will be a bit clunky but it's worth a playthrough anyway.  2 and 3 will really be an experience, those two are definitely AAA - most agree that number 2 is the best. 

edit:

If you can find this at a decent price it would be a great purchase.  3 PSN games in one compilation.  Flow IMO is a bit lame.  The other two are great (again - if you're into trying some artsy games without conflict).

http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Collectors-Edition-Playstation-3/dp/B008CP6RWU/ref=pd_sim_vg_5

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like artsy games you should check out the games by Santa Monica Studios: Flower, Journey, Unfinished Swan. Also maybe Sound Shapes. Those are all PSN games. I mention them because most of the other games are covered above.

If you're into JRPG's you could get Tales of Graces F and Ni No Kuni (Kuni is a bit cliched but is fun anyway and very beautiful). I'd definitely reiterate some of the above that you should get the Uncharted series. The first game will be a bit clunky but it's worth a playthrough anyway. 2 and 3 will really be an experience, those two are definitely AAA - most agree that number 2 is the best.

edit:

If you can find this at a decent price it would be a great purchase. 3 PSN games in one compilation. Flow IMO is a bit lame. The other two are great (again - if you're into trying some artsy games without conflict).

http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Collectors-Edition-Playstation-3/dp/B008CP6RWU/ref=pd_sim_vg_5
"ThatGameCompany" made those games not "Santa Monica Studios"...

bread's done
Back