The 'best' Tetris game?

Hakudoshi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I have been having an urge to play Tetris the last few days, so I dug out my NES and have been enjoying it. Though it made me wonder which other versions of Tetris that have been released over the years are good. I heard I should avoid Tetris Worlds and Tetris Evolution though.

In your opinion, what is the best version of Tetris?

I know the PS3 just had a new version come out, but I don't own a PS3. Freeware Tetris, Flash Tetris, old console versions, anything. I'm just really curious and maybe might find something awesome. Thanks.

OG Gameboy was the best version of Tetris. Legit.

EDIT - I'm taking that to include the Gameboy Colour version as well, Tetris DX was it? Seeing as it was basically the same game with some colour.

The most fun version I've played is Tetris DS. Pretty tough in the upper levels, but seeing old Nintendo games play out in the background as you clear lines is awesome.

Best for pure concentration purposes is EA Tetris for PSP Minis. The PS3 version is similar, but more graphically impressive.

[quote name='benjamouth']EDIT - I'm taking that to include the Gameboy Colour version as well, Tetris DX was it? Seeing as it was basically the same game with some colour.[/QUOTE]

Actually, totally different game. Yeah, still Tetris, but all the graphics and music were changed. I spent a pretty penny getting a copy of that back in the day and wanted to punch babies when I fired it up.

I downloaded the Tetris Splash trial on XBL and it seems "alright" I guess... I don't really like the idea of T-Spins. You shouldn't be able to recover from a mistake so easily fitting a piece into an impossible area.

I'll give Tetris DS a look online and see if it looks decent to me. If anyone has anymore ideas I would love to hear them.

Also if anyone has a PSP, you could look up a game called "TetriAbetes" it's quite good. Sadly my PSP is MIA at the moment.

Tengen Tetris for the NES is the best imo. Closely followed by original Gameboy Tetris.

Almost all modern Tetris games have infinite spin, which breaks the game imo. I'm not sure if it's a glitch or a feature, but when i can rotate my tetrimino across the top the pile, including rotating it up and over other pieces, it ruins the game for me.

The Tetris I play nowadays is Tetris DS from Nintendo. I have racked up hundreds of online matches on that game.

Atari's Tetris is the best. I love the GBC version too but nothing beats the Atari version.

tetris_graphic.jpeg

i really liked the one on ps1. the pieces would break apart and what not pretty fun stuff. i think it was called the next tetris.

[quote name='javeryh']Atari's Tetris is the best. I love the GBC version too but nothing beats the Atari version.

tetris_graphic.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

Thats the one! Tengen/Atari Tetris. Atari did the arcade version and Tengen made the NES version, which was very faithful to the Atari version.

i love tetris ds. the "reserve block" actually adds a lot and the multiplayer is great. love getting my ass kicked my random japanese kids.

[quote name='mang9432']i love tetris ds. the "reserve block" actually adds a lot and the multiplayer is great. love getting my ass kicked my random japanese kids.[/QUOTE]

I actually have a decent online record, but if you broke it up by region, I got owned by more Japanese players than anyone else. Whenever I see Japanese characters pop up for the randoms name, I know I'm in for a real battle, or more likely ass-whoopin, lol.

Anybody can say Tengen Tetris, but to me, I've always loved The New Tetris for N64. Back in the day, my mom and I would go crazy against each other in that game trying to top each others scores. Plus there was the ability to make gold and silver blocks to further increase your score.

I don't remember the name of it off hand, but I played a Tetris game for the wii at my mom's not too long ago. That's pretty fun as well although tends to have some cursing moments with the power ups. :razz:

If you like single player Marathon, the best versions are the Tetris: The Grand Master series. TGM2 is MAMEable, but TGM3 is arcade only. If you want to play TGM3, you'll have to use a PC clone like Texmaster. It's also highly recommended you get an arcade stick with a 4-way gate like it was meant to be played.

The reason why it's so good is because it really tests your skill level. The drop speed and lock speed crank up, but it's never to the point where it's unmanageable. There's no infinity rotation and there are lots of small tricks involving rotation and pieces that you have to learn to really earn the higher ranks. It's also the version where the famous "Invisible Tetris" video came from.

For multiplayer... you have Tetris Online Japan for PC and Tetris Party. Both versions are more T-Spin friendly and more fair than prior versions, plus the side-to-side speed is good. I went from Tetris Party to Tetris DS and the minute difference between side-to-side speed made me misdrop a lot.

[quote name='JStryke']Anybody can say Tengen Tetris, but to me, I've always loved The New Tetris for N64. Back in the day, my mom and I would go crazy against each other in that game trying to top each others scores. Plus there was the ability to make gold and silver blocks to further increase your score.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad someone mentioned this! I really really loved playing the New Tetris on N64. The two modes where you see who can get the most points in 2 minutes (or whatever the time limit was) and also who can get to a set amount of points the fastest really added something, especially knowing you had to form those gold blocks to win. Plus feeling like all your games contributed to something (building the wonders of the world) helped. My fav Tetris game hands down.

i also loved new tetris on 64. The multi player is awesome, making the huge blocks never got old. Tetris DS is another classic, I don't understand why nintendo stopped making it.

The problem with playing older versions of Tetris:

-Field isn't standardized
Some of them aren't high enough, some of them are too wide, etc. All modern versions use the same height and width.

-Lateral speed is too slow
This is especially problematic in Tetris GB, at certain heights and speeds you can't even move the piece all the way to the side.

-Piece distribution
In the older versions of Tetris, the next piece is purely random. You could get 6 S pieces in a row. But more importantly, you could be looking for certain pieces like Ls, Js, or Is, and they just won't come because of the randomness.
Newer versions of Tetris have more controlled piece generation. Modern ones use a "bag system" (All 7-pieces are randomized and put into a "bag", and you keep drawing from the bag) and TGM uses a different randomizer that's not completely well known.

bread's done
Back