The Big Game Hunter Thread - Watch & Bid

ChaseTheChuckwagon

CAGiversary!
Check out our new show, Big Game Hunter which chronicles my hunt through the Southern California swapmeets searching for retro gaming treasures. Using a pair of surveillance video taping sunglasses, see what I see and hear what I hear as I walk the aisles of the swap meets and negotiate with the vendors trying to score the best deals I can get.

All items seen in the episodes will then be put up for auction on GameGavel.com for $1 starting bid and no reserve.

Check out our first Episodes which is broken into Parts 1 & 2.

Hope you all enjoy it.:bouncy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGameGavel?feature=mhum

I enjoyed watching this and will keep watching. Will sort of fill the void for me since yardsale season just ended around my area.

An interesting show, and a great idea to promote the site! That flea market seemed to have a pretty good selection of games... but why is everything on the ground?

I've visited a number of flea markets in the midwest and southeast looking for classic games (for 8 Bit Horse), and I've never been to one where you had to get on your hands and knees to look through the selection. Is that common in SoCal flea markets?

It is common here in AZ. Some people just don't have tables set up. I don't hate because that usually means less people have looked through the items.

OP, this show is a great idea and a fun watch.

EDIT: How did those arcade machines work out? I'd be weary to buy them without seeing them turn on (although if the Burgertime was in such mint condition, the cabinet was probably worth 200

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='escapekey']An interesting show, and a great idea to promote the site! That flea market seemed to have a pretty good selection of games... but why is everything on the ground?

I've visited a number of flea markets in the midwest and southeast looking for classic games (for 8 Bit Horse), and I've never been to one where you had to get on your hands and knees to look through the selection. Is that common in SoCal flea markets?[/QUOTE]

There is a mix of vendors who display on the ground (usually vendor with tons of stuff) and smaller vendors who do lay all their stuff out on tables. As you will see, I am really not a digger. Normally I spot the stuff out in plain site. I just can't take the time to dig through every box or I would be there all day. I can get through one of these swap meets in about an hour :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']It is common here in AZ. Some people just don't have tables set up. I don't hate because that usually means less people have looked through the items.

OP, this show is a great idea and a fun watch.

EDIT: How did those arcade machines work out? I'd be weary to buy them without seeing them turn on (although if the Burgertime was in such mint condition, the cabinet was probably worth 200[/QUOTE]

Ya, the arcade games turned out ok. The Burgertime worked great, although when I first turned it on there was no sound. I removed the marquee and saw one of the speaker wires was disconnected. I connected it back up and it sounds great. Plays great too.

The Mappy has an issue. It powers up and the attract screen appears. It coins up but when you press the Player One button then it freezes.

Here is a link to our forums with some more photos of the games:
http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3934&page=2

[quote name='ChaseTheChuckwagon']There is a mix of vendors who display on the ground (usually vendor with tons of stuff) and smaller vendors who do lay all their stuff out on tables. As you will see, I am really not a digger. Normally I spot the stuff out in plain site. I just can't take the time to dig through every box or I would be there all day. I can get through one of these swap meets in about an hour :)[/QUOTE]

I am a big-time digger. That was one of the things that surprised me about the video... that you didn't turn the pile sideways and look at the spines. That's an absolute must for me. I have to see *every* game in the stack or I feel like I might miss out on something.

That cracked me up when you had "Pass" appear on the screen when the lady told you 5.00 a piece on the NES games. I've had that happen to me in real life like I'm a T-1000 or something.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']That cracked me up when you had "Pass" appear on the screen when the lady told you 5.00 a piece on the NES games. I've had that happen to me in real life like I'm a T-1000 or something.[/QUOTE]

No kidding! And there was nothing there worth "fighting" for. I've bought some things from her in the past and she never budges on price.

I've always wanted this, but how much do the glasses with the camera cost? I've been going to the fleas for about 3 years now & I've had some pretty amazing finds. Some I really wish I had on camera, like when I found Guardian Heroes for $3, & both Tombas for $3 each.

bread's done
Back