Not open for further replies.
Smackdown spoilers regarding Punk and Zack Ryder:
* Triple H opens the show and announces he re-signed CM Punk to a WWE contract

*Triple H appoints Zack Ryder as Teddy Long’s assistant

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Smackdown spoilers regarding Punk and Zack Ryder:

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Triple H has it out for him ever since that "doofus" remark from a few weeks back.

Locking the thread before a new one is up when there are plenty of threads with thousands of posts on the site is ridiculous.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Smackdown spoilers regarding Punk and Zack Ryder:

[/QUOTE]

You serious bro?

[quote name='Genocidal']Locking the thread before a new one is up when there are plenty of threads with thousands of posts on the site is ridiculous.[/quote]

Ridiculous? I'll bet those 40 minutes of not being able to post in a wrestling thread were killing you. I asked someone to do it last night, and nobody did. It was already 40 posts over the usual limit. 500 posts is the general rule, especially on routine threads such as this one.

WWE Greatest Cage Matches of All Time is now available for streaming on Netflix. Anyone up for a streaming party tomorrow or Friday night?

[quote name='Trakan']Ridiculous? I'll bet those 40 minutes of not being able to post in a wrestling thread were killing you. I asked someone to do it last night, and nobody did. It was already 40 posts over the usual limit. 500 posts is the general rule, especially on routine threads such as this one.[/QUOTE]

If it was such a big deal, and you post in the thread, make a damn new one. I'll bet those 40 posts over the limit on the wrestling thread were killing you.

[quote name='Scorch']WWE Greatest Cage Matches of All Time is now available for streaming on Netflix. Anyone up for a streaming party tomorrow or Friday night?[/QUOTE]

It has a runtime of 22 minutes, and user reviews are saying it's an episode of The Lone Ranger.

Stop the intarwebz, we didn't have a wrestling thread for a few minutes! Oh, the humanity!

Out of courtesy, it would have been nice to have the new thread linked in the old one. Regardless, it's hardly worth getting one's panties in a bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Trakan']Ridiculous? I'll bet those 40 minutes of not being able to post in a wrestling thread were killing you. I asked someone to do it last night, and nobody did. It was already 40 posts over the usual limit. 500 posts is the general rule, especially on routine threads such as this one.[/QUOTE]

Not to be 'that guy', but I was a little annoyed because I was killing about 10 minutes at work by writing a post, only to hit submit and have the board tell me the topic was closed. I didn't have the time or the inclination to make a brand new thread just to post it, so I just shitcanned the whole thing.

Regardless, the topic shouldn't be locked until a new one is created and linked. Just my opinion, and simple common courtesy.

[quote name='Genocidal']If it was such a big deal, and you post in the thread, make a damn new one. I'll bet those 40 posts over the limit on the wrestling thread were killing you.[/QUOTE]

I know people like to make them and that they like to take the time to make themed threads, etc. I'm not interested in doing that, and people would have complained if it was just a generic wrestling thread.

[quote name='007']Not to be 'that guy', but I was a little annoyed because I was killing about 10 minutes at work by writing a post, only to hit submit and have the board tell me the topic was closed. I didn't have the time or the inclination to make a brand new thread just to post it, so I just shitcanned the whole thing.

Regardless, the topic shouldn't be locked until a new one is created and linked. Just my opinion, and simple common courtesy.[/QUOTE]

Noted.

Try to keep the regular threads to 500 and the memorial ones can go over. I don't mind it going a few posts over or waiting until Raw is over or something, but 40 over after I asked for a new one to be made is just what myke said, people being lazy. It's not like the 500 post rule is new. How long have we been doin' this?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It has a runtime of 22 minutes, and user reviews are saying it's an episode of The Lone Ranger.[/QUOTE]

I thought you were joking. You weren't! :rofl: It's even funnier if you watch the show and think of it in WWE context, especially the opening narrative.

I was wondering how long it'd be until they accidentally crossed some wires.

Let's talk about how shitty the Punk angle is, and less about what a jerk Trakan is.

He's a fucking mod, we couldn't be arsed to make a new topic, he locked it. Cry me a fucking river.

Maybe WWE shouldn't have tried to "break the fourth wall" with their most prominent title and wrestlers, then. I'm more and more bothered by their cold feet with this angle.

fuck, let Zack Ryder take the IC title to the indies for 3 months. Then bring him back. They had such a great thing going, and then they went and fucked it up. Stone Cold got white hot in a feud with Savio fucking Vega, so it's not like everything has to involve the world title in order to be booked.

[quote name='Scorch']

I was wondering how long it'd be until they accidentally crossed some wires.[/QUOTE]

Hell just the other day I tried to watch the live-action Street Fighter movie (shut up). Turns out they screwed up and it was Sonny Chiba flick, The Street Fighter.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It has a runtime of 22 minutes, and user reviews are saying it's an episode of The Lone Ranger.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I'm on the fence. Netflix might just be looking out for our best interests.

[quote name='Genocidal']I dunno, I'm on the fence. Netflix might just be looking out for our best interests.[/QUOTE]

Try "The John Cena Experience." If it's a He-Man cartoon instead, then your theory is correct.

Let's all be honest here, the Punk angle is so shitty it caused a contagious apathy that resulted in no one giving enough of a shit to make a new thread.

On the Netflix topic, they keep unrelentingly 'recommending' The John Cena Experience to me. However, it also seems to think I'd give one and a half stars to The Matt and Jeff Hardy Story. I've never seen something be so wrong and so right at the same time.

[quote name='mykevermin']Try "The John Cena Experience." If it's a He-Man cartoon instead, then your theory is correct.[/QUOTE]

Er, How could anyone tell the difference?

[quote name='007']Let's all be honest here, the Punk angle is so shitty it caused a contagious apathy that resulted in no one giving enough of a shit to make a new thread.[/QUOTE]

Good hypothesis.

[quote name='mogamer']Er, How could anyone tell the difference?[/QUOTE]

He-man has Cringer, John Cena has Michael Cole.

Admittedly Skeletor and Vince are more difficult to tell apart.

I hadn't tuned into WWE in a long time. It really hurt the way made me think we were going somewhere. Then I found out it was just a tunnel painted on brick wall. As the 13 year olds on the interwebz would say epic phail dude.

We'll see. I listened to the BS report and while intriguing, I'm still far from sold.

My money is on Cena reuniting the belts and Punk feuding with someone lower down on the card. ADR may get involved either the night of Summerslam or the Raw afterwards.

Personally, I would've waited a little longer to bring him back, but I wouldn't say the angle is ruined.

I think Cena wins at SummerSlam and they do a best out of 3 type thing, with Punk winning at Night of Champions.

Well, according to the BS Report interview it sounds like CM Punk's definitely around for the long term now. Hopefully he cuts a good promo on Raw to explain why he came back so quick, but basically it seems like he made the real decision to stay at Money in the Bank and I guess he figured he's under contract so he might as well be on TV to hype Summerslam.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']The talk of this angle being ruined is ridiculous. As Punk said on the BS report, just shut up and watch what happens.[/QUOTE]
The problem is they actually did something worth watching then drop the bottom out from under it. They went back to doing what they always do.

I want this to turn out well, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if it does. This company, though, has run out of 'wait and see' with me. If they pull off this Punk angle, I'll give them more of a pass, but I just have to see it actually happen.

2 months ago Jim Ross and Chris Jericho chided the Internet for shitting on Christian dropping the belt to Orton after, in real time, 2 days. They said 'wait and see'. I waited. I saw. They did nothing that hasn't validated that initial reaction. I can't imagine SummerSlam will change that.

So, that's the bottom line, really... I want to trust Punk on this, but I'm done putting the words 'trust' and 'WWE' together until they stand up and give me a reason to change that. Period.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']The talk of this angle being ruined is ridiculous. As Punk said on the BS report, just shut up and watch what happens.[/QUOTE]

The whole point of the angle was centered around Punk coming back to challenge the legitimacy of the WWE Champion. They pulled the trigger on that so quickly they might as well have not done the angle at all.

Raise your hand if you give a flying fuck who wins between Punk and Cena at Summerslam? Why now? How is it any different from your staple "they guy who loses the belt gets a rematch" PPV match?

Punk says shut up and see how it plays out because HE'S PAID TO. If you think, as he claims on the Simmons podcast, that he was actually not under a WWE contract for a *second*, you're a mark of the highest order. A dumbfuck who might as well believe the Black Scorpion could truly perform magic, who thought Billy and Chuck were really going to get married, who really thought that Lucifer was poisonous when he bit Macho Man.

Punk is a wrestler, ergo a worker, ergo a *liar*. The other side of the "liar" coin is the "protecting the business" coin. He's doing just that - simultaneously railing against the "fantasyland" he mocked at Comic Con at the same time he's helping create it by lying through his teeth to Simmons.

Don't get me wrong - I wish more people would protect the business and lie. I'm sick of seeing WWE heels hugging troops, and working in soup kitchens, and doing radio interviews. I want to see them do heelish things, like dropkick infants and yell at children in restaurants.

The point is this: the only creatively unique and interesting part of the angle is over, WWE fucked it up in the process because they have the patience of Veruca Salt (the literary character, not the awful 1990's band). What's left? Title vs title at a PPV where the logical title match would have featured the same two guys anyway if Punk hadn't left? A PPV that will end with John Cena and Randy Orton holding their respective titles aloft? Whoooooop-a-dee-fuckin'-doo, my man.

WWE tried something unique and dangerous. They took their writing and their programming up to the precipice of a cliff. They looked over the edge, hinting that they would jump. They paused. Then they walked away. WWE took a magnificent thing and killed it off the first chance they got.

So don't defend them. First of all, they don't need defending, they're a plenty profitable company without you carrying the water for them like a goddamned fool.

Second of all, you *know* they're writing week to week. I don't know if you have insider information about some awesome aspect of the angle and how it will play out. But WWE has shown, ever since the WCW InVasion (which was so long ago it was still WWF at the time), that they can do maybe one proper build per year. Most of the rest is bullshit. They write, in a panic, week to week for the current week. They don't know where they're going.

And I don't trust them on taking an interesting direction to get there. I've watched WWE tv since Wrestlemania 4. I know they haven't shown any creative capacity for nearly a decade now. WWE programming is all the evidence I need to show me that this feud is already fucked. There is nothing to the contrary in their programming.

But here's the difference between you and I: I'm a person of dignity, and I admit when I'm wrong. So next Monday, if Punk comes out and makes a ton of sense, cuts an awesome promo, and sells me on a $60 PPV - I'll admit I was wrong. I'll admit I was too cynical, and that the angle has taken a fascinating turn.

But when Punk comes back and cuts a milquetoast promo in the ring with Cena, and the highlight of his promo is that he's going to be on an ice cream bar, and he's the rightful champ, and WWE is back to the same old shit it's always doing - you'll still say "be patient, it'll get better, have some patience." And you won't admit you're wrong when Cena wins both belts in a boring, by-the-numbers-five-moves-of-doom Summerslam main event. You'll shut your mouth and act like you never said this had the chance to turn out good.

Dignity: I have it, therefore that's where we differ.

Dignity is knowing that this angle was never awesome and nothing would change. This wasn't some fresh new idea that would revitalize WWE. This angle was from the same bag of trash that WCW used in its dying years. The only difference is that the people were better this time around.

HHH thought it would be cool to get all the internet marks interested again, even though he's criticized them ever since he's been a prominent figure. Punk was probably allowed to speak his mind and redo an angle he did in ROH as a condition of him staying. I hope to God no one thought any of this was real.

[quote name='mykevermin']The whole point of the angle was centered around Punk coming back to challenge the legitimacy of the WWE Champion. They pulled the trigger on that so quickly they might as well have not done the angle at all.

Raise your hand if you give a flying fuck who wins between Punk and Cena at Summerslam? Why now? How is it any different from your staple "they guy who loses the belt gets a rematch" PPV match?

Punk says shut up and see how it plays out because HE'S PAID TO. If you think, as he claims on the Simmons podcast, that he was actually not under a WWE contract for a *second*, you're a mark of the highest order. A dumbfuck who might as well believe the Black Scorpion could truly perform magic, who thought Billy and Chuck were really going to get married, who really thought that Lucifer was poisonous when he bit Macho Man.

Punk is a wrestler, ergo a worker, ergo a *liar*. The other side of the "liar" coin is the "protecting the business" coin. He's doing just that - simultaneously railing against the "fantasyland" he mocked at Comic Con at the same time he's helping create it by lying through his teeth to Simmons.

Don't get me wrong - I wish more people would protect the business and lie. I'm sick of seeing WWE heels hugging troops, and working in soup kitchens, and doing radio interviews. I want to see them do heelish things, like dropkick infants and yell at children in restaurants.

The point is this: the only creatively unique and interesting part of the angle is over, WWE fucked it up in the process because they have the patience of Veruca Salt (the literary character, not the awful 1990's band). What's left? Title vs title at a PPV where the logical title match would have featured the same two guys anyway if Punk hadn't left? A PPV that will end with John Cena and Randy Orton holding their respective titles aloft? Whoooooop-a-dee-fuckin'-doo, my man.

WWE tried something unique and dangerous. They took their writing and their programming up to the precipice of a cliff. They looked over the edge, hinting that they would jump. They paused. Then they walked away. WWE took a magnificent thing and killed it off the first chance they got.

So don't defend them. First of all, they don't need defending, they're a plenty profitable company without you carrying the water for them like a goddamned fool.

Second of all, you *know* they're writing week to week. I don't know if you have insider information about some awesome aspect of the angle and how it will play out. But WWE has shown, ever since the WCW InVasion (which was so long ago it was still WWF at the time), that they can do maybe one proper build per year. Most of the rest is bullshit. They write, in a panic, week to week for the current week. They don't know where they're going.

And I don't trust them on taking an interesting direction to get there. I've watched WWE tv since Wrestlemania 4. I know they haven't shown any creative capacity for nearly a decade now. WWE programming is all the evidence I need to show me that this feud is already fucked. There is nothing to the contrary in their programming.

But here's the difference between you and I: I'm a person of dignity, and I admit when I'm wrong. So next Monday, if Punk comes out and makes a ton of sense, cuts an awesome promo, and sells me on a $60 PPV - I'll admit I was wrong. I'll admit I was too cynical, and that the angle has taken a fascinating turn.

But when Punk comes back and cuts a milquetoast promo in the ring with Cena, and the highlight of his promo is that he's going to be on an ice cream bar, and he's the rightful champ, and WWE is back to the same old shit it's always doing - you'll still say "be patient, it'll get better, have some patience." And you won't admit you're wrong when Cena wins both belts in a boring, by-the-numbers-five-moves-of-doom Summerslam main event. You'll shut your mouth and act like you never said this had the chance to turn out good.

Dignity: I have it, therefore that's where we differ.[/QUOTE]
Are you kidding me? Dignity? You don't even know who the fuck I am. I have more faith in Punk than I do the WWE. That's why I'm taking this wait and see approach. Punk knows how hot he is and how important this angle is. I don't think he'll allow it to mess up. He's that good. If Cena wins with the 5 moves of doom at SummerSlam after getting his ass kicked the whole match, I'll gladly come on here and say that WWE dropped the ball. Now kindly go fuck yourself.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']I don't think he'll allow it to mess up. He's that good.[/QUOTE]

1) It's already messed up.
2) He's not Creative, he's not Corporate. Therefore, he is not the master. You think he really wanted to go back on the road this soon? That he wouldn't prefer an additional week sitting on his couch, eating nutella and banana sandwiches? He's not that good. Nobody is so good they supercede the corporate end of things. You're naive and a mark.

[quote name='davo1224']Dignity is knowing that this angle was never awesome and nothing would change. This wasn't some fresh new idea that would revitalize WWE. This angle was from the same bag of trash that WCW used in its dying years. The only difference is that the people were better this time around.[/QUOTE]

Refresh my memory - how did WCW do this?

I never thought it was real for a moment, but the point was that I could pretend it was, and therefore enjoy it. I do possess the ability to suspend my disbelief that I was able to thoroughly enjoy Punk's title match at MITB. I don't possess the ability to dumb myself down to mouth-breathing inbred WWE Universe™ member that thinks the angles they write and run are compelling television and fascinating feuds.

Let's not pretend that WWE didn't raise the bar for a few weeks in the quality of the program (also note that it was rooted in letting a wrestler cut their own promo without scripting it for them). WWE showed a glint of potential. They also shut it down as quickly as it glinted.

[quote name='mykevermin']1) It's already messed up.
2) He's not Creative, he's not Corporate. Therefore, he is not the master. You think he really wanted to go back on the road this soon? That he wouldn't prefer an additional week sitting on his couch, eating nutella and banana sandwiches? He's not that good. Nobody is so good they supercede the corporate end of things. You're naive and a mark.
[/QUOTE]
I think Punk is a great talent and can carry an angle. That's being a mark? I'm done discussing this with you because it's obvious you have a holier than thou attitude because I disagree with your opinion.

It's actually kinda hard these days to tell heel from face. They don't sell it remotely like they used to. Everyone seems kinda bland now.

I have a holier than thou attitude because you think WWE's going to pull this off and make it interesting, and refuse to see how they already fucked it up.

[quote name='Scorch']WWE Greatest Cage Matches of All Time is now available for streaming on Netflix. Anyone up for a streaming party tomorrow or Friday night?[/QUOTE]

I'm up for it tomorrow. Friday, not so much.

On another note...

I found some stuff

Monday's RAW featured Triple H's first night in charge as well as the surprise return of WWE title holder CM Punk.

According to Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, there were actually six different scripts written for RAW - one of which would have resulted in Triple H laying out CM Punk with a pedigree.

Although the obvious scenario would be for WWE to capitalize on CM Punk's recent popularity and push him to the moon, most of the scenarios presented for Monday's RAW were not to get Punk over, but to emphasize Triple H's new role as Vince McMahon's successor.

Prior to WWE settling on what we saw unfold on Monday night, the original plan for CM Punk's return was for him to get attacked and pedigreed by Triple H. Alberto Del Rio then would have come out, cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase against John Cena at SummerSlam.

While this would have certainly put Triple H over as a major heel and led to an eventual program with a babyface CM Punk cooler heads prevailed and the angle of Punk getting squashed on the night of his return was scrapped.

According to Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, there were actually six different scripts written for RAW

So I'm, as usual, totally justified in bring holier than thou.

Not that I ever doubted it, I'm just sayin'.

[quote name='007']Let's all be honest here, the Punk angle is so shitty it caused a contagious apathy that resulted in no one giving enough of a shit to make a new thread. [/QUOTE]

Hey, I tried arguing that the last thread should have become a memorial to the Punk angle.

Punk may be a hell of a worker and a great talent when it comes to storytelling, but one cannot expect him to make creme brûlée when the main ingredient is mashed potatoes.

Bland, flavorless, no salt, no butter, instant mashed potatoes. From the dollar store.

I have faith in Punk too, love the gimmick and everything.... HOWEVER if you think this feud or storyline ends any way other than Cena holding the title over a defeated Punk before it fades to logo, you're delusional.

I've stated before that I liked the MITB match and hell I openly admit to markingout for Punk coming out Monday. It killed the momentum though and that is undeniable.

Greatest Cage Matches has been pulled off of Netflix.. hopefully to, you know, make it to where it streams the actual thing instead of an episode of the Lone Ranger.

[quote name='Scorch']Greatest Cage Matches has been pulled off of Netflix.. hopefully to, you know, make it to where it streams the actual thing instead of an episode of the Lone Ranger.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? That's what was playing? The fuck is up with WWE on Netflix? That's the second title that's been fucked. and Netflix in general has been fucking up alot lately. Gotta love that rate hike...

http://mobile.cagesideseats.com/2011/7/27/2298538/do-we-have-enough-proof-that-cm-punk-is-now-a-big-draw-for-wwe

Mobile version, but a great article about Punk's popularity surge. His new theme song, for example, is HUGE on iTunes - #1 in the UK, #3 in the US, and #5 in Ireland on the rock charts. By the way, the song is 23 years old.

You know as much as the IWC is shitting on Punk coming back "too soon"... yeah it could have been worse with Triple H giving Punk the Pedigree. So let's be thankful that didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back