The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='djkunai']Oh yeah, that was one of the big ones. Seriously good times.[/quote]

I didn't take part in the TRU 2005 Clearance, but I participated in the T3G1 for $5. Those were the good days (primarily because gas was $2/gallon). Fortunately, the local Blockbusters have rid themselves of a few asshole employees who I'm almost certain were trying to have a district wide ban placed on my account.

[quote name='MightySlacker']
What apparently caught me was back in March, I flipped 2 copies of F1 Racing PS3 ($15 -->$30) at the same store. And it wasn't the fact I traded in two that set off an alert, it was the fact that I did it on a Saturday and the next day it dropped down to $20 new or something, and an employee noticed. For some reason though, I was able to trade up until a few weeks ago, as I spread out quite a few March Madness 08.

Dave[/quote]

I was banned at one store just a few months back for the same reason. Traded in a Beowulf a few days after I had traded another Beowulf. Store manager gave me crap about why I was trading in a second copy and subsequently banned me when he noticed that the price dropped shortly thereafter.

Long story short, said store manager was either transferred or fired (chatting with the employees revealed that he wasn't a popular guy at work) and I was able to trade just a few days ago. I didn't make a fuss about it and kept my mouth shut. Case in point, if you let it go for some time, the heat will die down.

Ok so I just got back from a mini-flipping trip.

Went to my BB and used my credit to buy two copies of MTR on 360. They were stickered at $9.99. Brought them up and they scanned $6.99. So I think think whoever the one who got $16.99 was either a mistake or a franchise store with their own prices on everything.

So anyways I spent $14.96 of my BB credit for the two MTR.

I then paired each one up with one of the 2 copies of COD2 I got for free from Target (thanks coupon that still works).

I also still had the mic from the AI:KR trade in to BB.

Brought a MTR and COD2 and the mic to the first gamestop. Got the same TIV as in the OP. $10.50+ $7.20+ $4.40= $22.10 total. Then went to second GS to dump the second pair of COD2+MTR and got the same TIV. All after EDGE and bonus of course.

So essentially turned bout $15 of BB credit into about $40 in GS credit. Not bad.

Dwindled to a GS after getting an Iced Coffee from MacDo (I used to work for Fivebucks, and I can tell you McDonalds coffee at most stores is superior to the iced coffee Fivebucks has) and picked up a lone Stranglehold. $22 from GR to GS to $33 back at GR. $11 for stopping by. A nice treat.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Ok so I just got back from a mini-flipping trip.

Went to my BB and used my credit to buy two copies of MTR on 360. They were stickered at $9.99. Brought them up and they scanned $6.99. So I think think whoever the one who got $16.99 was either a mistake or a franchise store with their own prices on everything.

I then paired each one up with one of the 2 copies of COD2 I got for free from Target (thanks coupon that still works).

Brought a MTR and COD2 and the mic to the first gamestop. Got the same TIV as in the OP. $10.50+ $7.20+ $4.40= $22.10 total. Then went to second GS to dump the second pair of COD2+MTR and got the same TIV. All after EDGE and bonus of course.

So essentially turned bout $15 of BB credit into about $40 in GS credit. Not bad.[/quote]

what is MTR? all these abbriviations...

i was just told that blockbuster in my whole area will not be getting the MGS bundle for PS3, makes me a very very sad..... panda, might not be like that everywhere else tho

[quote name='Mishimaryu']meet the robinson's was actually released for next gen consoles?[/quote]

No, we're just trying to confuse people...

This week's GS coupon is 20% off GBA, DS & PSP games. Not sure if there are any portable games even worth flipping other than maybe some of the newer DS games (but i doubt there will be any to make a huge profit off of)

:360: Guitar Hero III - $28.50

Used at GS for $19.99.

Of course, use your edge and coupons boys!

Called for the PS3 version and the RSP could not find it in the system. Can someone get verification on this one?

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Ok so I just got back from a mini-flipping trip.

So essentially turned bout $15 of BB credit into about $40 in GS credit. Not bad.[/quote]

I don't know about MTR, but Sonic and the Secret Rings went from 14.99 to 16.99. (I pricechecked) One day I bought 1 for 14.99 and the next day I went to buy another and it was 16.99 even though the game was marked 14.99. I know they should have given it to me for what it was marked but I didn't want to create any red flags as to what I've been doing. I won't buy it for 16.99 out of spite. I won't lose 1 more cent going from BBV to GS.

[quote name='PATWRIK']:360: Guitar Hero III - $28.50

Used at GS for $19.99.

Called for the PS3 version and the RSP could not find it in the system. Can someone get verification on this one?[/quote]

Where did you get that used quote from? On their site it says $29.99 used.

[quote name='vgmben']i was just told that blockbuster in my whole area will not be getting the MGS bundle for PS3, makes me a very very sad..... panda, might not be like that everywhere else tho[/quote]
The people at my store kept saying that they were not getting it, but I got mine even though they received it the morning of release day. Either they will eventually get one or you'll have to check out another BB/GR store.

It seems like since the beginning of the year this thread has developed full time into flip central - which is fine because it seems the opportunities to amass GR/BB credit are endless and obviously this site caters to those fond of games by any cheap means necessary.

Having said that how about a switch to something that was mentioned several posts ago and has been discussed several times over the years...

what game got you started on this flipping trip?

I know there are SOOOOOOOOOOOO many to choose from and it cracks me up to see some of the older deals like Max Payne 2 come up and receive just praise...

I myself owe it all to

...(drumroll please)...

Dead To Rights 2 - XBOX

i believe it was a TRU $10 to GR $27 trade back in the day... and it got me a PSP without so much as a tear to be shed.

anyone else?

[quote name='spauldingfan']Is the Gh3 19.99 this weeks deal or is it Rainbow 6 for 19.99 used?[/QUOTE]
This week's deal is Guitar Hero III (360 or PS3) for $19.99 used. Starts tomorrow.

[quote name='JJSP']This week's deal is Guitar Hero III (360 or PS3) for $19.99 used. Starts tomorrow.[/quote]

Nice!:D

Is there still no word on the B2G1 free sale? I had 4 stores shoot that down for me today

So I finally got one of the GS by me to admit they received new banners/hangers for the B2G1 free sale about a week ago. They did not confirm if it would start tomorrow, but it looks like one is coming sooner than later....

[quote name='CaoPi']mutant storm reloaded?[/quote]

That would be correct, if you were talking about MSR and not MTR. But you were close on the letters :)

[quote name='PATWRIK']:360: Guitar Hero III - $28.50

Used at GS for $19.99.

Called for the PS3 version and the RSP could not find it in the system. Can someone get verification on this one?[/quote]

Before everyone starts emptying out Gamestop's supply of Guitar Hero 3s, let's take a better look at this:

1) From what other CAGs have mentioned, it's a game of the week sale which means that EDGE cards are good, but coupons are highly YMMV

2) Blockbuster is prone to spew out bullshit when someone tries to trade in any game without a barcode (as is the case with all PS3 copies and a good deal of the 360 copies available at GS). They're also quick to point out the "Not For Resale" labels on the games and deny the trade since they are unable to scan

Hopefully, GH3 does pan out as decent flipping material (Stranglehold is becoming a little stale), but the early prognosis isn't very rosy.

[quote name='dyeknom']Many GH3 for the xbox 360 came unbundled, so the Not for Resale issue isn't a big deal.[/quote]

Yep, you just gotta peel the GS barcode to make sure it has a real barcode rather than the "not for resale" barcode. However you could always just go to coverprojects.cc, print out the barcode and put it over the "not for resale" area. Or take off the cover and just print your own. BB also accepts disc only, so it shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='edavis0780']Before everyone starts emptying out Gamestop's supply of Guitar Hero 3s, let's take a better look at this:

1) From what other CAGs have mentioned, it's a game of the week sale which means that EDGE cards are good, but coupons are highly YMMV

2) Blockbuster is prone to spew out bullshit when someone tries to trade in any game without a barcode (as is the case with all PS3 copies and a good deal of the 360 copies available at GS). They're also quick to point out the "Not For Resale" labels on the games and deny the trade since they are unable to scan

Hopefully, GH3 does pan out as decent flipping material (Stranglehold is becoming a little stale), but the early prognosis isn't very rosy.[/quote]

Well I dont think anyone will have a problem with 95% of the Xbox360 versions. And even with just an EDGE card that would make it about $18 out the door after tax. To $28.50, would be a $10.50 profit so not too bad of an option.

Which coupon would you guys use in store? There isnt an actual CAG16 paper coupon is there? Otherwise I would just think the 10% off any used game coupon would be it?

Quick side question here for those who know. How quick is it to sign up to trade games in at another Blockbuster? I have only been using one BB/GR in my area but I think Id like to start to use the others in the area as well. On top of that I am going out of town this weekend and have already scouted ahead for possible flips in the area Im going and would like to flip at the GR thats in the area. Is it just signing the quick Trade agreement paper and giving them my card? Or is it a whole ordeal?

You basically hand them your card and fill out another trade agreement form while they scan your trades. It doesn't take too much time.

[quote name='jgressley']You basically hand them your card and fill out another trade agreement form while they scan your trades. It doesn't take too much time.[/quote]

Ok great. Where Im going has a GS that has Stranglehold, SST Wii, and GH3 all used in stock.

It would be $55.97 (before edge, 10% coupon, and taxes). After using my EDGE and the 10% coupon I have it would be $44.78($47.91 after tax) and I have about $40 in GS credit that I built up with my last trade with nothing OOP so it would be about $8 out of pocket.

Then I can go down the street and trade them all in for $84.50 in BB/GR credit. So $8 out of pocket turned into $36.59. About a 4.5:1 ratio. VERY NICE. :D

If only that B2G1 started today or tomorrow!

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Ok great. Where Im going has a GS that has Stranglehold, SST Wii, and GH3 all used in stock.

It would be $55.97 (before edge, 10% coupon, and taxes). After using my EDGE and the 10% coupon I have it would be $44.78($47.91 after tax) and I have about $40 in GS credit that I built up with my last trade with nothing OOP so it would be about $8 out of pocket.

Then I can go down the street and trade them all in for $84.50 in BB/GR credit. So $8 out of pocket turned into $36.59. more then a 4:1 ratio. VERY NICE. :D

If only that B2G1 started today or tomorrow![/quote]

Since you seem to know, how much does SST (Wii) get?

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Ok great. Where Im going has a GS that has Stranglehold, SST Wii, and GH3 all used in stock.

Then I can go down the street and trade them all in for $84.50 in BB/GR credit. So $8 out of pocket turned into $36.59. About a 4.5:1 ratio. VERY NICE. :D

If only that B2G1 started today or tomorrow![/quote]

SH - 33
GH3 - 28.50

so SST (Wii) gets 23?

[quote name='ets']SH - 33
GH3 - 28.50

so SST (Wii) gets 23?[/quote]

I thought SH dropped to 30 this past week? Is it still $33? If its still $33 then all the better ;)

SST should be 26..

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']I thought SH dropped to 30 this past week? Is it still $33?

SST should be 26..[/quote]

My BBV took it for 33 Tuesday... thx for the SST quote!

[quote name='ets']My BBV took it for 33 Tuesday... thx for the SST quote![/quote]

Ok great. Guess I missed it somewhere. Just add $3 to all my numbers then hahaha ;)

And no problem...thanks for the correction :D

WHERES MY B2G1 PROMO! Would make this even sweeter!

Hey guys I have a great deal for you!

Thanks to bsesb2003 for his post in another thread.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00118T6FK/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Amazon has MLB 2K8 for PS3 for $15.99. TIV as of 9AM this morning is $36 at BBV/GR!

Obviously even with Prime you wont get this until Tuesday if you order now. But even if it drops to $30 then its still a good easy deal.

Or you can pay $3.99 with Prime and have it on Monday. Im not sure which Ill do. But Im in for 2 copies. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I went ahead with normal 2 day prime. Im hoping I ordered early enough today for it to get moving today and MAYBE come on monday. If not then I will hope it doesnt drop below $30 on Tuesday. And hopefully it doesnt drop at all ;)

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Hey guys I have a great deal for you!

Amazon has MLB 2K8 for PS3 for $15.99. TIV as of 9AM this morning is $36 at BBV/GR!

Obviously even with Prime you wont get this until Tuesday if you order now. But even if it drops to $30 then its still a good easy deal.

Or you can pay $3.99 with Prime and have it on Monday. Im not sure which Ill do. But Im in for 2 copies. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I went ahead with normal 2 day prime. Im hoping I ordered early enough today for it to get moving today and MAYBE come on monday. If not then I will hope it doesnt drop below $30 on Tuesday. And hopefully it doesnt drop at all ;)[/quote]
thanks for the post! ordered 2 and hoping it doesn't drop :)

EDIT: I went ahead with normal 2 day prime. Im hoping I ordered early enough today for it to get moving today and MAYBE come on monday. If not then I will hope it doesnt drop below $30 on Tuesday. And hopefully it doesnt drop at all ;)[/quote]

good heads up lamp :) for once i didn't have to call and post the value you beat me to it! Im in for 2 I think if it does drop on Tues it "might" go down to 33 or worse case 30 which is unlikely. I doubt a pricedrop anyway.

Thanks, in for two. Took the free shipping, will gamble on a price drop on Tuesday or being banned before they arrive. :)

my account was blocked due to excessive trading. i was told they would no longer trade with me. my question is can i still rent from blockbuster and buy games when my trading is blocked?

[quote name='nintendoforever']my account was blocked due to excessive trading. i was told they would no longer trade with me. my question is can i still rent from blockbuster and buy games when my trading is blocked?[/QUOTE]

"Excessive trading" :roll:. Well, at least they gave you a semi-valid excuse (none of these "fraud" or theft accusations - though that could be behind what they are thinking and they just told you "excessive trading" as sugar-coating).

Again, though, if this is a bannable offense I wish they'd spell out what that means or have an up-front limit on what you can trade per month or something. But, no, that would make too much sense.

If you don't mind sharing, is this because of "excessive trades" to one store or based on trades information from different stores?

[quote name='nintendoforever']my account was blocked due to excessive trading. i was told they would no longer trade with me. my question is can i still rent from blockbuster and buy games when my trading is blocked?[/quote]

[quote name='nintendoforever']my account was blocked due to excessive trading. i was told they would no longer trade with me. my question is can i still rent from blockbuster and buy games when my trading is blocked?[/quote]

Where are you located ?

[quote name='allen9917']If you don't mind sharing, is this because of "excessive trades" to one store or based on trades information from different stores?[/quote]

I tried to trade in a second copy of stranglehold at one blockbuster. i had traded in another copy a week earlier. the person was ringing it up and then here comes this manager lady, complaining she has way too many games being traded and more then one copy of each. so she looks at my account, sees that i have traded in 2 copies of several games before, and 3 copies of ncaa 08, and she says that i am not allowed to trade in multiple copies anymore. i said ok and completed that trade transaction. i then drove to the next blockbuster, 5 minutes away, and by the time i got there i was told i was no longer able to trade with blockbuster, that i had to call the district manager for more information. there are like 8 blockbusters within a 25 mile radius and i have traded with all of them.

the guy told me i could not trade due to price manipulation. they said i was buying games at hollywood video, then trading them in to blockbuster for more money. then buying blockbusters games and trading them in to hollywood for more. i of course denied this.

i dont mind getting banned, i just would have liked a warning first and more clarification of the limits. i knew i was running the risk of being banned and would do it all again because this paid for lots of games for me for free, and got me my 80GB PS3 MSG4 bundle for about $250 OOP.

being that the district manager is involved, will this ban ever go away? or am i permanently banned? i called the district manager and left a message but am awaiting his callback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back