The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='DarthPuma']Is there a list for Trade in Values at BB? I need to get rid of Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Crackdown, and FF3, and it seems like trade ins there are high.

---------------
Edit by Io - LOOK IN THE WIKI or in the OP for a select list of more recent trade-in values! Basically, read the OP ;).[/quote]
You're looking at maybe $12 max for Crackdown (it sells for $19.99 used), $18-22 for Tony Hawk (it used to be $25, but that was a while ago), and though I'm not sure about FF3, since it's a DS game, I wouldn't expect much - their DS used games sell pretty cheap.

[quote name='PATWRIK']Went to a local GS today and told me that the next coupon is 360.

I hope so. 360 flips are easier than the limited selection of the ps3.[/quote]
Hope it's true, have to dump a two pairs of Nba/Gengi's tomorrow and would nice to add some 360 games to it. I'm going to go look now, but any ideas on what the good flips would be if it's 25% off 360 games.
I hope they forget the limit 2 on the coupon.

[quote name='stone1061']Hope it's true, have to dump a two pairs of Nba/Gengi's tomorrow and would nice to add some 360 games to it. I'm going to go look now, but any ideas on what the good flips would be if it's 25% off 360 games.
I hope they forget the limit 2 on the coupon.[/quote]

I was able to use multiple coupons on a few occassion. Just pointed out that it said 1 per customer per visit ... I asked what constituted a visit and if I walked out the door and turned around and came back in could I use it again. They always caved and let me use it on the spot (used 4 at one store)

[quote name='PATWRIK']Went to a local GS today and told me that the next coupon is 360.

I hope so. 360 flips are easier than the limited selection of the ps3.[/quote]

I was wondering why I didn't see a thread for the new coupon, I guess it wasn't sent out yet. But yes, I read that the next coupon is indeed for the 360 today at work.

My GR just got a whole bunch of framed art prints in. Prices ranged from $19.99-$49.99 depending on size. The artwork itself is textured so it gives the illusion it was painted on. Too bad a lot of them were scuffed already. Not that I'd really buy any of them.

I also inquired about :wii: Okami. Their street date is Friday. They have 2 on order for sale, and 6 more coming in for rentals. The clerk wasn't sure if anyone had preordered the game and she wasn't sure if the game would actually show up on Friday. Guess I'll have to stop by and find out. Hopefully I'll have some :360: stuff to trade in at that time as well. ;)

Going against my better judgment, I just thought I'd mention that the BB on Imperial in Brea, CA should have two Wiis left. Please call ahead and don't blame me if they're out of stock.

With new 25% off 360 games coupon at GS, what are the best games to flip? I'm at $80 in BB credit and I need some more to get a new 360 or a Wii.

Trying to find something from the current list of prices on first page to get with coupon from Gamestop.
Fifa 07 used is 19.99, after coupon and edge $13, gets $22 as of last report.

History Channel Battle for Pacific: Used 24.99, $16.25 after coupon and edge.
Last report was that it traded for $28.50, but didn't someone say they got $30 recently too?

[quote name='stone1061']History Channel Battle for Pacific: Used 24.99, $16.25 after coupon and edge.
Last report was that it traded for $28.50, but didn't someone say they got $30 recently too?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we need to check the TIV of this one; the report of $28.50 is marked 4/8 so it might have changed this past tuesday.

[quote name='stone1061']History Channel Battle for Pacific: Used 24.99, $16.25 after coupon and edge.
Last report was that it traded for $28.50, but didn't someone say they got $30 recently too?[/quote]

The $30 report was for the PS3 version. $28.50 for the 360 version sounds reasonable based on that, but it's still worth checking into.

[Edit - One minute after someone already checked! Go me.]

anyone know the current TIV for Blacksite Area 51, with the price drop it might be a decent flip (I'll call in a couple hours if no one knows)

[quote name='h2dk']anyone know the current TIV for Blacksite Area 51, with the price drop it might be a decent flip (I'll call in a couple hours if no one knows)[/quote]

Or better yet, Dark Messiah?

From phone call just now:

[quote name='h2dk']anyone know the current TIV for Blacksite Area 51, with the price drop it might be a decent flip (I'll call in a couple hours if no one knows)[/QUOTE]

:360: Blacksite Area 51 - $32

[quote name='h2dk']Or better yet, Dark Messiah?[/QUOTE]

:360: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - $15

blacksite area 51 is $35 used. coupon, edge, and 8% tax comes out to $24.57 and trades in at $32. we need find another flip

ANOTHER GOOD COUPON!!! Thus another good week.

I saw this list of games in the EB/GS thread. Good starting list to see what we could flip..

$6.50
Prey

$8.50
G.R.A.W.

$10
All-Pro 2K8
Shadowrun

$11.70
Stuntman Ignition
Saints Row
Condemned

$13
The Darkness
Project Syphleed

$16.25
Burnout Revenge
Lost Planet
Conan
F.E.A.R.

$17.55
G.R.A.W. 2
College Hoops 2K8

$19.50
F.E.A.R. Files

$22.75
LOST

[quote name='animemaniac14']$12.51 --> $22...not too shabby...im gonna wait on it tho, see if someone posts a better flipper! :)[/quote]

you have a 3% tax rate?

i was checking outt the gs site last night looking for at least a 2x flip and couldn't come up with anything. this is entirely based on reported trade-in-values though, so there might be a hidden flip somewhere.

[quote name='asthmatic']blacksite area 51 is $35 used. coupon, edge, and 8% tax comes out to $24.57 and trades in at $32. we need find another flip[/quote]

Not great, but I am looking to pick up another Wii today and will take what I can get (plus no tax here)

[quote name='MaKaVeLi42O']whats Hour Of Victory get these days? its $11.69 after the coupon and edge....[/quote]

$22 as of two days ago

[quote name='h2dk']Not great, but I am looking to pick up another Wii today and will take what I can get (plus no tax here)[/quote]

haha, i aint mad at cha. free money is free money or should i say free credit is free money. :D

hour of victory - 22
shadowrun - 12

ahh i should have asked for madden 06 as well. if the $6 held its a little over 2x for me.

fifa 07 still gets $22, I was able to dump off my coverless copy at another BB yesterday!

Thanks for all the help guys!

GS still sells Fifa 07 :360: for $20, still might just barely be worth buying with 25+10% off discounts to trade in.

Does anyone have any others?

[quote name='PATWRIK']ANOTHER GOOD COUPON!!! Thus another good week.

I saw this list of games in the EB/GS thread. Good starting list to see what we could flip..

$6.50
Prey

$8.50
G.R.A.W.

$10
All-Pro 2K8
Shadowrun

$11.70
Stuntman Ignition
Saints Row
Condemned

$13
The Darkness
Project Syphleed

$16.25
Burnout Revenge
Lost Planet
Conan
F.E.A.R.

$17.55
G.R.A.W. 2
College Hoops 2K8

$19.50
F.E.A.R. Files

$22.75
LOST[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain that most of those games are already selling for $25 and under at Gamerush, so not much in the way of credit. As someone already posted, The Darkness still has potential. But there's a very strong chance that LOST might be getting $35 (assuming the recent price drop wasn't universal), so I would strongly urge someone on this board to investigate...

here are some trade in values.

beowulf $8 (as of 04/18)
bomberman $6 (as of 04/18)
cabela's alaskan adventure $12 (as of 04/18)
flatout $8 (as of 04/18)
saints row $8 (as of 04/18)
the golden compass $15 (as of 04/18) (I called about this one, some one may want to double check)
winning eleven pro soccer 2007 $8 (as of 04/18)
eragon $8 (as of 4/12)
superman $12 (as of 4/12)

Found a slightly better way to move GR/BB credit back to Gamestop. For those of us who can't/won't get rid of multiple Brawls at a time, this should be pretty viable. The trade values at GS are a little flaky, though - one of these (Mario Galaxy) just dropped in the last day or two, so it might be prudent to do this ASAP.

Smash Brothers Brawl - buys for $49.99/$44.99 (if you can find it used) at BB/GR, trades for $35 at GS
Super Mario Galaxy - buys for $49.99/$44.99, trades for $26.50 as of today
Sonic and the Secret Rings - buys for $19.99 used, trades for $10.

All told, you're spending $110 - $120 + tax (depending on how lucky you are with used SSBB / SMG) and getting back $92.95 with Edge and 20% bonus for three Wii titles. Buying SSBB and SMG new with 7% tax gets you about 72 cents of GS credit per dollar of BB/GR credit spent. Sonic should be very easy to find, if my experience of seeing 5+ ex-rentals in nearly every store is true in more than just my area.

Not too bad, considering there's always a way to double it again...

Let's see-
Pick up 3 copies of Brawl for $165.
Trade them for $135 GS credit.
Buy 10 copies of Darkness with that $135.
Trade Darkness back to GR for $220.

In the beginning you start with $165 n GR credit, and in the end you're left with $220 in GR credit- no cash out of pocket. Even better, if you're looking to just get GS credit, do this.

Buy 2 copies of the Darkness for $25.
Trade the Darkness back to GR for $44.

Do this, and you get $110 in GR credit moved to GS, $44 back to GameRush, and you make $14 in credit in the process- and all it involves is three trips. GameRush, GameStop, GameRush.

Hit two gamestops, got a set of History Channel Pacific and Fifa 07, already rid of one pair, dump the other on the way to work.
I dumped a bunch of Darkness and Hour of Victory when they were big trades a month or two ago. Not sure i want to revist those titles incase an employee of the month checks my history.

Blockbuster in Brick, Nj still has Wii's and also one had a sign stating $271 for the 'perfect pair'. They were selling it with the game pass. Hopefully they don't wise up and make that a necessary part of purchase. Would slow down some of the reselling i'd think.

[quote name='djkunai']Let's see-
Buy 10 copies of Darkness with that $135.
Trade Darkness back to GR for $220.

In the beginning you start with $165 n GR credit, and in the end you're left with $220 in GR credit- no cash out of pocket. Even better, if you're looking to just get GS credit, do this.

Buy 2 copies of the Darkness for $25.
Trade the Darkness back to GR for $44.

Do this, and you get $110 in GR credit moved to GS, $44 back to GameRush, and you make $14 in credit in the process- and all it involves is three trips. GameRush, GameStop, GameRush.[/quote]

wow.. after all that trouble just to make 55 bucks of gamerush... is it worth it with gas being so high?!

[quote name='sweet_gorgor']wow.. after all that trouble just to make 55 bucks of gamerush... is it worth it with gas being so high?![/quote]

Well if you're like me, I get 35mpg and the GameRush is 2 miles from the GS. So 8 miles total from home to GR to GS to GR to home. That's $1 for gas, so I'm able to do it. However, I think the system is suited for people trying to get their GameRush money over to GameStop.

Also, it doesn't involve any cash OOP, so theoretically you could kunai (verb [used with object] 1. to trade a massive amount of video games for insane profit) repeatedly without spending any cash (which 5 times over makes $250 in credit appear out of thin air).

[quote name='djkunai']Well if you're like me, I get 35mpg and the GameRush is 2 miles from the GS. So 8 miles total from home to GR to GS to GR to home. That's $1 for gas, so I'm able to do it. However, I think the system is suited for people trying to get their GameRush money over to GameStop.[/quote]

lol it's just unbelievable as I used to do it back in the beginning of 06 and i remember seeing u and IO posted all the time with flips, and 2.5 years later you guys are still doing it, how can you not get banned, thats just crazy! also... u trade in all 3 at a time at gs then all 10 at a time to gr?

[quote name='sweet_gorgor']lol it's just unbelievable as I used to do it back in the beginning of 06 and i remember seeing u and IO posted all the time with flips, and 2.5 years later you guys are still doing it, how can you not get banned, thats just crazy! also... u trade in all 3 at a time at gs then all 10 at a time to gr?[/QUOTE]

Uh, I've never flipped 10 copies of anything. I would never dream of attempting what djkunai is suggesting (3 copies of Brawl -> GS, 10 copies of Darkness -> GR). He says they are only 2 miles apart so it is easy - well, he's the only person in the history of BB/GR trading able to do stuff like that. I did get in trouble (at a few stores) simply for trading in 1 PS3 and 1 360 Beowulf. Never would I attempt to trade 10 copies of a single game at one time. I'd have to spread them to 10 different stores which would be majorly time and gas-consuming. Also, I don't know of a single EB/GS that would take 3 copies of a game (ie, Brawl) either, so the whole premise is somewhat shaky ;). Oh, and besides I've never seen a used copy of Brawl for sale at Blockbuster, so collecting 3 would be a pain.

I'm more interested in what can be purchased from GS (I'm guessing there's a new coupon out?) and traded to GR in single quantities. It looks like there's nothing all that great compared to the PS3 stuff last week. Please correct me if I'm wrong (and "all that great" means at least a doubling of credit).

[quote name='nietzsche74']I'm fairly certain that most of those games are already selling for $25 and under at Gamerush, so not much in the way of credit. As someone already posted, The Darkness still has potential. But there's a very strong chance that LOST might be getting $35 (assuming the recent price drop wasn't universal), so I would strongly urge someone on this board to investigate...[/QUOTE]

Stuntman Ignition 360 was only $8 last week, not sure if it is higher now, but not a good flipping title.

Thanks,
vgc

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back