The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Well GS has stopped taking reservations as of yesterday, and have even split it into two shipments. One being the 20th/21st, and the second being the 23rd/24th. I think there is some potential in selling these.

[quote name='io']Also, if you wait a few months you'll probably have all new employees to deal with ;).[/quote]

QFT. I swear, every time a new decent flip comes around, I end up getting at least a 33-50% rate of employees that have no idea how to take a trade-in and end up calling for help. Their turnover rate must be horrible.

[quote name='mkernan']I dunno.... Amazon has already sold out of all their pre-orders. Could just be that there will be a limited supply at first, since they have to manufacture the balance board to go with it. I'll probably go pre-order one at BB/GR over lunch today. The wife is gonna dig it and I could stand to lose a few pounds anyway.[/quote]

According to IGN, Nintendo has allocated over 1 million units for launch...so it will have to have Mario Kart type sales to sell out

[quote name='h2dk']According to IGN, Nintendo has allocated over 1 million units for launch...so it will have to have Mario Kart type sales to sell out[/quote]

But considering that they will be targeting the Soccer Mom crowd who have kids that have a Wii so it could happen.

I Don't think it would hit Mario Kart-esqe sales but it could happen.

does anyone have the part number for Wii Fit? I called my bb and he was unable to find it in the system....thanks (I think it was posted earlier but I couldn't find it)

[quote name='h2dk']does anyone have the part number for Wii Fit? I called my bb and he was unable to find it in the system....thanks (I think it was posted earlier but I couldn't find it)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... The part number is not on the receipt, but tell them to look it up as "Wii - Wii Fit". The girls at my store had some problem with it (as I posted a few days ago) but figured it out on their own as I was just about to suggest they look it up that way.

[quote name='io']Hmmm... The part number is not on the receipt, but tell them to look it up as "Wii - Wii Fit". The girls at my store had some problem with it (as I posted a few days ago) but figured it out on their own as I was just about to suggest they look it up that way.[/quote]

I had remembered your post and it is what I suggested to him but he probably misspelled Wii... He said if he had a part number he could find it.

[quote name='ewto16']What are the rules for trading in multiples of the same game? Do they regulate that at all? If I trade in one copy on Monday, another copy Tuesday, and another copy Wednesday, is that generally OK? I'm assuming that trading multiple copies at the same time is frowned upon.

Golden Compass (PS2) - $2
High School Musical (PS2) - $19
NBA 08 (PS3) - $33[/quote]

By the trading agreement you are limited to 2 copies of the same title per day. But they do leave it open for them by adding that all trades are subject to the manager's approval.

I personally don't try to push it. I'll trade one title in, and wait until there's someone else working to trade the second.

[quote name='falcon815']QFT. I swear, every time a new decent flip comes around, I end up getting at least a 33-50% rate of employees that have no idea how to take a trade-in and end up calling for help. Their turnover rate must be horrible.[/quote]

Wrong about waiting for a new employee. This same guy has been working at this blockbuster in this city for the past 12 or 15 years.

What do you guys do with your sealed games? Do you unwrap them before you trade them? I've just been trading them in sealed. This time the manager sort of looked at me funny.

[quote name='ewto16']What do you guys do with your sealed games? Do you unwrap them before you trade them? I've just been trading them in sealed. This time the manager sort of looked at me funny.[/quote]

i unwrap mine...the manager is probably looking at you funny because he thinks u mite have stolen them...

[quote name='ewto16']What do you guys do with your sealed games? Do you unwrap them before you trade them? I've just been trading them in sealed. This time the manager sort of looked at me funny.[/quote]
i wonder why

[quote name='h2dk']does anyone have the part number for Wii Fit? I called my bb and he was unable to find it in the system....thanks (I think it was posted earlier but I couldn't find it)[/quote]

It's 1 or 2 pages back. I posted it and someone else posted it. I'm too lazy to find it for you.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']It's 1 or 2 pages back. I posted it and someone else posted it. I'm too lazy to find it for you.[/quote]

Have them look it up as Wii Wii Fit, the way they list them is system name followed by game title, and this game actually is called wii-fit.

I just discovered EA, being the pain in the asses they tend to be decided to call their new skiing game WE SKI, bastards!! No wonder my store couldn't find it. So I guess it would be listed as Wii We SKI.

[quote name='ewto16']What do you guys do with your sealed games? Do you unwrap them before you trade them? I've just been trading them in sealed. This time the manager sort of looked at me funny.[/QUOTE]
May I suggest that you open them so we don't have another person with a bad experience at blockbuster. ;)

[quote name='stoned99']Have them look it up as Wii Wii Fit, the way they list them is system name followed by game title, and this game actually is called wii-fit.

I just discovered EA, being the pain in the asses they tend to be decided to call their new skiing game WE SKI, bastards!! No wonder my store couldn't find it. So I guess it would be listed as Wii We SKI.[/quote]

Better than :whee:Whee!:whee:Ski

Everyone at GR knows me and I just hand them over sealed and open them once I know I'm getting a decent amount.

If you know how much you are going to get, your better off opening them before you trade. I know someone who stole them could just as easily open it, but its a lot less shady to trade in "used games" that are open, rather than "used games" that are sealed.

[quote name='djkunai']Everyone at GR knows me and I just hand them over sealed and open them once I know I'm getting a decent amount.[/quote]Yup, at the GTAIV midnight launch one of the workers saw yo outside and said "hey its ****** ***, the guy who trades in all those games."

Went and pre-ordered Wii Fit over lunch today at my local BB/GR; figured I might as well do it now after hearing that Amazon is all booked up on pre-orders. While I was at it, pre-ordered MGS4 also, both paid in full. Although, now my value card has a zero balance, so here's hoping for some good flips in the next couple of weeks.

Unrelated note: I saw a copy of Tetris DS that had just been traded in, so I inquired about the price. They have it used for $25 (if you can find it obviously). I also noticed a display case for the new PS3 Singstar sitting on the counter.

Just called BB, Kane& Lynch (PS3) still get $36. yes!!! my target has them for $9.98. Here i come DS3.:D ....so $15 (with coup.)will get $72

[quote name='lude21']Just called BB, Kane& Lynch (PS3) still get $36. yes!!! my target has them for $9.98. Here i come DS3.:D ....so $15 (with coup.)will get $72[/QUOTE]

dam...i just went to Target...thier 19.98 now...wtf, i could of sworn i saw them at 9.98.

[quote name='lude21']dam...i just went to Target...thier 19.98 now...wtf, i could of sworn i saw them at 9.98.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the light was reflecting off the "1" in 19.98 so you didn't see it.
Or not.

kane&lynch is still priced at 27.99 at my target stores. so far i have only been able to actually find one clearance title for prices mentioned and it was orange box. there must be a lot of CAGsters in the surrounding area because everything else is gone

I picked up Bioshock for $24.99 today (marked at $29.99, but CAGs said it was $25 so I got it) and the girl forgot to put the disc inside of it. I called the store and told her that I'll stop by later tonight to pickit up. I'll try and preorder Wii Fit if I still can, because my girlfriend really wants me to get it.

This has been benefitting my girlfriend just as much as me. I picked up P.S. I Love You and 27 Dresses today to give to her as a couple of presents for our one year tomorrow to go along with some other stuff I got her. I imagine this has been working out for a lot of wives/girlfriends for this reason. I can buy her whatever movie she wants and I can get her other things since GR pays for my videogames, I have a lot of extra money.

I'm also going to try and go to Target to get Kane and Lynch and NBA 08 if they are cheap. I thought I would be done flipping, but if I'm going to get Wii Fit, I'm going to need more than the measley $200 I have right now to last me for the rest of the year.

[quote name='h2dk']I had remembered your post and it is what I suggested to him but he probably misspelled Wii... He said if he had a part number he could find it.[/QUOTE]

He probably looked up "We - We Fit" :lol:. The girls at my store tried looking it up that way when Wii Fit didn't work, but then they thought of putting Wii as category and Wii as item.

[quote name='Halo3Champ']Wrong about waiting for a new employee. This same guy has been working at this blockbuster in this city for the past 12 or 15 years.[/QUOTE]

See, that's your problem then. You've got a manager who takes his store very seriously and thus notices the flipping/etc and how it might be a detriment to the store and the chain. I would definitely find another store to trade at - one that he isn't likely to check up on.

[quote name='djkunai']Everyone at GR knows me and I just hand them over sealed and open them once I know I'm getting a decent amount.[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to djkunai - anything he does is the exception as he should have been banned 20 times over by now as most people doing the same thing would have been ;).

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']local blockbusters aren't taking preorders for wii fit wtf[/QUOTE]

Well, my local little small hick town Blockbuster did take them so ask them to check again. They even told me they got a picture of it - must have been that memo telling them to start preorders on Monday.

all the blockbusters in my area got those wii fit dvd demo things...they tell me that they are goin to be in limited numbers so i mite get one for myself...on another note...they are already getting preorders for MSG4 but they dont have any type of special editions yet...they juss got the regular one in their system...

I checked my area in Wny and was told they had a big conference call regarding this and would have more information tommarow if they were doing preorders

Holy crap - is this still current:
NCAA Football 08 - $26 - 4/22/08

I think I saw several of these (for $9.98) at a Target today #-o

Edit - OK, too good to pass up if true and it turns out it is too good to be true.
New quote is $16 (just called). Oh well - saves me driving back to that Target, anyway!

Edit #2 - OK, so after calling, NOW I search and see this has already been reported. Oh well, it has been double-verified now ;). In case anyone is interested, the used price seems to be $24.99 at BB now - they quoted me that at first and I knew that was wrong so I had to let him know that was probably not the trade-in value. Then again, if anyone wants a new one for $10 + shipping let me know and I can probably snag one.

Edit #3 - When I get a break from being absolutely hammered by work I will comb through the thread and update the trade-in prices in the OP. It would have saved me some time with this game had I done that earlier! But I probably won't get to it till next week. If anyone wants to volunteer to make a list from the last several pages like patwick did before that would make it easier and I could add it to the OP immediately.

[quote name='judgeTurpin']all the blockbusters in my area got those wii fit dvd demo things...they tell me that they are goin to be in limited numbers so i mite get one for myself...on another note...they are already getting preorders for MSG4 but they dont have any type of special editions yet...they juss got the regular one in their system...[/QUOTE]

MGS4 Limited Ed. is a Gamestop-exclusive, unfortunately.

Man I love the GC / GR pricematch. I price matched 2 PS3 Orange Box's for 30$ each, first time I had attempted multiple copies of the same game. I always preorder stuff when I'm there as it helps them earn bonuses.

A little off-topic, but I just thought I'd share about how I managed to get really lucky today.

Just a couple days ago I ended up finding one of the many $9.98 "MLB '07 The Show" PS3 games I had bought at Target (around the time we were all getting $20 for it from BB). Apparently, I had forgotten that I had put it in a bag in my room, and now it's only worth $13 at BB (or is it $10 now?).

I thought about keeping it, but for some reason I decided to check out the TIV a local gamestore called Trading Zone. Much to my delight I was quoted an astounding $25!!!

I ended up getting Sega Rally for the 360 ($19.99) plus an additional $5 PS2 game (DT Racer) for essentially an even trade. Not too shabby of a deal, eh?! Sure made my day. 8)

Steve

[quote name='dinovelvet']Anyone got a TIV for PS3 NCAA March Madness (08)...? I saw it at Target for $10 or $12 ish.[/quote]

i believe it's TIV is $19 or maybe even lower...

[quote name='dinovelvet']Anyone got a TIV for PS3 NCAA March Madness (08)...? I saw it at Target for $10 or $12 ish.[/QUOTE]

PS3 NCAA 2008 March Madness TIV is $30. I am positive of this because I traded in 3 copies on Monday and when the TIV held on Tuesday I picked up 3 more to trade in. Only 12.48 at Target and this gives you a slightly better trade ratio than NBA 08's 14.98 to 33.

Even better if you use the $5 off coupon like I did. Got six copies for 7.48 each for about $48 total including tax and traded in for $180 BB credit. Nearly a 4 to 1 ratio.....

traded in some other target clearance games including nba 08 and virtua tennis....

[quote name='soonerdoc']PS3 NCAA 2008 March Madness TIV is $30. I am positive of this because I traded in 3 copies on Monday and when the TIV held on Tuesday I picked up 3 more to trade in. Only 12.48 at Target and this gives you a slightly better trade ratio than NBA 08's 14.98 to 33.

Even better if you use the $5 off coupon like I did. Got six copies for 7.48 each for about $48 total including tax and traded in for $180 BB credit. Nearly a 4 to 1 ratio.....

traded in some other target clearance games including nba 08 and virtua tennis....[/quote]

Not sure I follow your math there. Unless, you were using the $5 off $25 purchase coupon on a EACH $12.48 game?

And I'm not sure how a game that costs $2.50 less and gets $3 less in trade in is a better deal.

[quote name='soonerdoc']PS3 NCAA 2008 March Madness TIV is $30. I am positive of this because I traded in 3 copies on Monday and when the TIV held on Tuesday I picked up 3 more to trade in. Only 12.48 at Target and this gives you a slightly better trade ratio than NBA 08's 14.98 to 33.

traded in some other target clearance games including nba 08 and virtua tennis....[/quote]

my bad...i was thinking bout college hoops 2k8...

Wait, so March Madness 2008 is $30? Damn, I saw those, too, along with NCAA Football 08. I'll have to head back there when I get a chance. And soonerdoc, how much is Virtua Tennis trading for? I saw those too but I think they were $10 and I figured that couldn't possibly be a good flip (I figured no more than $16 at BB for that).

judgeTurpin - what $10 off 360 games?

Damnit IO, what are you doing up? I'm wooting off, so I have an excuse.

Someone posted a $10 off 360 software coupon scan on the front page- apparently no listed minimum price.

[quote name='djkunai']Damnit IO, what are you doing up? I'm wooting off, so I have an excuse.

Someone posted a $10 off 360 software coupon scan on the front page- apparently no listed minimum price.[/QUOTE]

Where the hell have you been the last 2 years? I am *ALWAYS* on this time of night. It's early for me, actually. Yeah, I checked out that thread. VERY VERY YMMV on using a scanned card type coupon from Target - especially with that quality of scan. What sucks is that I got a Target kids catalog book in the mail the same day as the OP of that thread but it didn't have no damn coupon.

I guess I'll stick with the 90% reliable $5 off $25 coupon (the 10% being those cashiers who insist games are Electronics and won't scan the coupon). I try to stay away from the older women now as it has been one of them every time it hasn't worked. Strange, as you'd think they'd be the demographic most likely to view video games as children's toys. WEIRD! ;)

I noticed my local GR had some Nyko Perfect Shots for sale today. Those were kind of hard to get for a while (not sure about now). Still, someone might be interested to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back