The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Picked up my copy of Wii Fit during lunch...after calling this morning around 10:15 to have them hold one for me. By the time I called, 2 of the 4 were already sold. The last one was still there when I left at noon (Tulsa, OK @ 101st/Mem).

YMMV on calling for a hold, depends on the manager. Definitely call before you drive out to your local BB/GR, though, what with the price of gas.

[quote name='Poor2More']If Viking and Condemned 2 is getting that good of value and their only 24.99 used or $21 with EDGE........wishing for a 25% off used PS3/360 games this Friday :)[/quote]

There's also a ten percent off used games coupon that just came out. ;)

[quote name='edavis0780']There's also a ten percent off used games coupon that just came out. ;)[/quote]
Gamestop.com shows Viking and Condemned 2 both at $26.99 not $24.99

[quote name='falcon815']My home base GR got two copies of Wii Fit. I had one preordered... we'll see how long the second lasts.[/QUOTE]
When I got there, he had to go in the back room behind the counter to get it. There was another on the counter below the Coming Soon signs - I don't know if it was the second copy or just a box for display.

went to my BB/GR after the gym this morning. The girl working the counter told me that they wouldnt have it until 2 which i thought was a little weird.

[quote name='edostar44']went to my BB/GR after the gym this morning. The girl working the counter told me that they wouldnt have it until 2 which i thought was a little weird.[/quote]

Just depends on when stores get their normal weekly shipment of stuff. Some stores get them on Tuesday (hence people being able to pick up Wii Fit at opening) and some stores get them on Wednesday's (meaning you won't be able to get Wii Fit til after they process the shipment). Our store gets shipments on Wednesday's and we've already had 2 people leave upset because we didn't have it yet :cry:

[quote name='Warner1281']Just depends on when stores get their normal weekly shipment of stuff. Some stores get them on Tuesday (hence people being able to pick up Wii Fit at opening) and some stores get them on Wednesday's (meaning you won't be able to get Wii Fit til after they process the shipment). Our store gets shipments on Wednesday's and we've already had 2 people leave upset because we didn't have it yet :cry:[/quote]

Yup. I have 3 paid off (paid of 2 this morning since the store didn't get any in yet). Still waiting.

Nice. I called up my local BB (nonGR) and the clerk said they had 2 Wii Fits, but she forgot to put them out. I drove down there 10 minutes later on my lunch break and picked one up along with a "used" Mario Kart wheel.

I picked up my Wii Fit over lunch. They got in 5 total units, 3 of which were preorders. I also bought their last copy of Boom Blox (heard good things).

I traded in the following today also:

Lost Planet (360) - $8
Call of Duty 2 (360) - $8
Prey (360) - $6

I got CoD2 and Prey during the B1G1, so that's roughly what I paid for them and don't see myself having a chance to play them anytime soon. Ditched Lost Planet because I may pick up the Colonies Edition for $30 when BB/GR gets it in a week from Friday (5/30).

Grabbed a WiiFit at local store, w/o preordering. Getting my preorder on my way to work. Have one other store on the way to check too.
The local store also had a Wii in stock, which they is rare for them.

Odd. I called BB a little while ago and the guy I know there said they didn't get any as of today. :/

EDIT: He even put me on hold so he could go check.

[quote name='edostar44']went to my BB/GR after the gym this morning. The girl working the counter told me that they wouldnt have it until 2 which i thought was a little weird.[/quote]

called them like the girl told me to, she said they have one left. Went to pick it up and the girl told me they got them in 2 minutes after I left and they sold 5 in the first few miutes they had them. I'm greatful she was nice enough to hold one for me. :applause:

picked up my preordered wii fit today as well as a copy of haze across the street at gamecrazy. yes i know haze got horrible reviews, but i've been waiting for it forever and got it with cheap credit.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']my BBGR also hasn't received their Wii Fit shipment yet :(

I've called/visited 3 times now.[/quote]

Called again and they said tomorrow. I guess I'll be running by on my lunchbreak.

I feel sad for those that have stores that haven't received their shipments yet because I pre-order the last copy at a local store that nobody seems to pre-order at and know that it is still there waiting with a receipt taped to it for it not to be sold. Wonder how I know this because the store already received the two it was getting and an employee pre-ordered the other copy. I saw it when I went there yesterday to rent some movies.

I just checked my e-mail and why is BB doing surveys and rewarding people
with money towards purchases which will probably be a coupon for taking them. So, now I will have even more money that I save without spending actual cash in BB. If you sign up before June 30 and take your first survey before then you will get $5 off a purchase of $10 or more coupon.

[quote name='cdeener']I feel sad for those that have stores that haven't received their shipments yet because I pre-order the last copy at a local store that nobody seems to pre-order at and know that it is still there waiting with a receipt taped to it for it not to be sold. Wonder how I know this because the store already received the two it was getting and an employee pre-ordered the other copy. I saw it when I went there yesterday to rent some movies.

I just checked my e-mail and why is BB doing surveys and rewarding people
with money towards purchases which will probably be a coupon for taking them. So, now I will have even more money that I save without spending actual cash in BB. If you sign up before June 30 and take your first survey before then you will get $5 off a purchase of $10 or more coupon.[/quote]

How/where can I sign up? If you could post the info, I'm sure many here would appreciate it. Thanks!

I started calling all the BBs around me at 2 pm to see if they had Wii Fit in stock. I found one that had it but the girl told me that they had one left and it was first come, first serve. I was over there in 10 minutes and bought the last copy.

The first BB I called told me that they weren't getting it in until 5/29. :whistle2:s Maybe she was just tired of being asked the same question all day.

Does the trade-in value differ from store to store? One store was too busy to look, but another down the street gave me the value.

[quote name='Foladar']Does the trade-in value differ from store to store? One store was too busy to look, but another down the street gave me the value.[/quote]

No it doesn't, unless one store is a franchise location.

i have a question to the people that have preordered MGS 4, i was wanderin what date did they say when they would the game cause i went to BB & they told me they would get it in on the 20th,what date did they tell you when the game should be in stock by?

[quote name='joker______']i have a question to the people that have preordered MGS 4, i was wanderin what date did they say when they would the game cause i went to BB & they told me they would get it in on the 20th,what date did they tell you when the game should be in stock by?[/quote]

June 12th at all my locations. That'd suck if you had to wait 8 days...

Picked up my Wii Fit today with no problems. I was even able to return that Wii Wheel I bought the other day (since I got one at Gamecrazy for $4.49). They seemed to have a few of them and it looked like they hadn't sold any yet. Of course, this is the store that has had Wiis in for a month now without selling them all. I was in a hurry and forgot to see if they had We Ski there. If not, I'll have to stop by the other location (10 miles away) later this week and see if they still have it. THAT location, however, has much heavier sales and I could see them selling their 2 copies to Wii Fit buyers before I have a chance to get in there.

I'll have to check eBay and see what these things are doing as I wouldn't mind cutting back on my credit just a tad (and since they will probably sit at my store for weeks I'm not depriving anyone of one ;)). On the other hand, this thing is so damn heavy I can't imagine it is worth it to ship (both in terms of having to charge a huge shipping fee and in having to find a box for it) unless people are paying a nice premium for them!

Edit: No call for pickup of course from my Blockbuster but I wasn't expecting that. To contrast, though, Gamecrazy called me about it. I had completely forgotten I preordered it there. I'd like to save my GC credit for things Blockbuster won't get (ie, most stuff) so I guess I'll just cancel that. As for eBay prices on Wii Fit, they are all over the place, but there are some ending at $170 but with free shipping which I figure will run at least $20-$30. Sort of worth it, I guess - but then again a 1-day auction started now will be lumped in with 4000 other ones and probably end much lower than that tomorrow. So I'll probably just hold off to save myself the hassle ;).

[quote name='joker______']i have a question to the people that have preordered MGS 4, i was wanderin what date did they say when they would the game cause i went to BB & they told me they would get it in on the 20th,what date did they tell you when the game should be in stock by?[/quote]

The same date. I will just buy it somewhere else, then buy the BB copy later. Then I will return the sealed BB copy back to the original place I bought it. All of that just to use up my BB credit and play it on the true launch date.

[quote name='Bezerker']June 12th at all my locations. That'd suck if you had to wait 8 days...[/quote]

yea i double checked thats what he told me so idk i guess ill know soon enough

[quote name='io']Picked up my Wii Fit today with no problems. I was even able to return that Wii Wheel I bought the other day (since I got one at Gamecrazy for $4.49). They seemed to have a few of them and it looked like they hadn't sold any yet. Of course, this is the store that has had Wiis in for a month now without selling them all. I was in a hurry and forgot to see if they had We Ski there. If not, I'll have to stop by the other location (10 miles away) later this week and see if they still have it. THAT location, however, has much heavier sales and I could see them selling their 2 copies to Wii Fit buyers before I have a chance to get in there.

I'll have to check eBay and see what these things are doing as I wouldn't mind cutting back on my credit just a tad (and since they will probably sit at my store for weeks I'm not depriving anyone of one ;)). On the other hand, this thing is so damn heavy I can't imagine it is worth it to ship (both in terms of having to charge a huge shipping fee and in having to find a box for it) unless people are paying a nice premium for them!

Edit: No call for pickup of course from my Blockbuster but I wasn't expecting that. To contrast, though, Gamecrazy called me about it. I had completely forgotten I preordered it there. I'd like to save my GC credit for things Blockbuster won't get (ie, most stuff) so I guess I'll just cancel that. As for eBay prices on Wii Fit, they are all over the place, but there are some ending at $170 but with free shipping which I figure will run at least $20-$30. Sort of worth it, I guess - but then again a 1-day auction started now will be lumped in with 4000 other ones and probably end much lower than that tomorrow. So I'll probably just hold off to save myself the hassle ;).[/quote]

I calculated the shipping on it assuming it was like ten pounds and it was only 10 bucks....
EDIT: Calculated it again after I found out weight was 11 pounds. Still only 12.95 using cheapest shipping. Mine sold for 132, so I only made like a 30 dollar profit it off of it. Not bad for zero work.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I calculated the shipping on it assuming it was like ten pounds and it was only 10 bucks....
EDIT: Calculated it again after I found out weight was 11 pounds. Still only 12.95 using cheapest shipping. Mine sold for 132, so I only made like a 30 dollar profit it off of it. Not bad for zero work.[/QUOTE]

I only ship USPS and I get $30+ for priority mail 12 pounds (putting in 2 zips from cross-country) Even parcel post is $18 or so. Plus it might end up in a larger than normal box so that would require an additonal surcharge (plus purchasing/finding a box). So basically I'd have to go into it expecting to get back only my purchase price of $90 + a few bucks maybe. That is normally OK as the credit it much cheaper than that. But then I have to ask myself why do I go through all the trouble of amassing this credit if all I'm going to do is turn it back into cash - even if I'm doubling it? Not to mention the whole feedback change on eBay that gives all the blackmail power to the buyer now...

[quote name='io']I only ship USPS and I get $30+ for priority mail 12 pounds (putting in 2 zips from cross-country) Even parcel post is $18 or so. Plus it might end up in a larger than normal box so that would require an additonal surcharge (plus purchasing/finding a box). So basically I'd have to go into it expecting to get back only my purchase price of $90 + a few bucks maybe. That is normally OK as the credit it much cheaper than that. But then I have to ask myself why do I go through all the trouble of amassing this credit if all I'm going to do is turn it back into cash - even if I'm doubling it? Not to mention the whole feedback change on eBay that gives all the blackmail power to the buyer now...[/quote]

You can ship it in a flat rate box, for around $13.

[quote name='Poor2More']When at Blockbuster I saw they were selling USED Soldier of Fortune Payback (360) for $54.99!! I wonder if that possibly means a good TIV[/QUOTE]

I bought one from BB at least 3 months ago for $20, so that is probably a price from last November that just never got changed.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']You can ship it in a flat rate box, for around $13.[/QUOTE]

Whaaa? Do you remove it from the box it comes in to do that? I've never seen a flat rate box nearly big enough for the Wii Fit box. The Wii Fit box is 18" long - the largest flat rate boxes are about 12 or 13".

Edit - Just checked USPS web site to be sure: flat rate boxes come in 12 x 12 x 5.5, 11 x 8.5 x 5.5, and 11 7/8 x 3 3/8 x 13 5/8. None are even close to working for Wii Fit ;).

Now UPS Ground might be cheaper, but that has it's own hassles... (OK, quick quote on UPS Ground is $20)

[quote name='Poor2More']When at Blockbuster I saw they were selling USED Soldier of Fortune Payback (360) for $54.99!! I wonder if that possibly means a good TIV[/QUOTE]

Could be if the copies I saw tagged at $30, $25 and $20 were mispriced. They can't all be right.

[quote name='io'] But then I have to ask myself why do I go through all the trouble of amassing this credit if all I'm going to do is turn it back into cash - even if I'm doubling it? Not to mention the whole feedback change on eBay that gives all the blackmail power to the buyer now...[/quote]

I gotta remind myself of this all the time. Its semi-attractive but I don't flip for $$$, I flip to help my addiction cost me less.

I forgot to cancel my 2 preorders on Amazon so now I have 2 extra. I'm too lazy to ebay them with all the other ones already on ebay and will just try to craigslist them.

[quote name='io']Whaaa? Do you remove it from the box it comes in to do that? I've never seen a flat rate box nearly big enough for the Wii Fit box. The Wii Fit box is 18" long - the largest flat rate boxes are about 12 or 13".

Edit - Just checked USPS web site to be sure: flat rate boxes come in 12 x 12 x 5.5, 11 x 8.5 x 5.5, and 11 7/8 x 3 3/8 x 13 5/8. None are even close to working for Wii Fit ;).

Now UPS Ground might be cheaper, but that has it's own hassles... (OK, quick quote on UPS Ground is $20)[/quote]

fuck, I didn't even think about that. Couldn't I just wrap it in bubble wrap or something?

Had a pretty interesting situation today.

I called my local non GR store today to see if they got Wii Fit. They said they got two today but that one got sold to a pre order and the other got sold regularly. It struck me as odd that they had a pre-order sale considering that during the beginning of the month I tried to pre order the exact same item and they wouldn't let me.

I went to the store anyway (to rent some movies) when I saw two Wii Fits hidden behind some boxes. I go to check out and asked again about the Wii Fits. I got told the same story. I was going to ask about the wii fits behind the counter but I got lazy.

So I walked out with a 1 month live card (from the GTA IV cases) instead.

I can not seem to find it, but where can I get a cover of Guitar Hero 3 without the "not for resale" image on the back. All of the BB and GR around me will not take it as trade in.

Thanks to this thread (esp io ;) ) and NBA08, March Madness 08 and Orange box.. now I got Wii Fit (never even entertain the thought of having one this early.. but i passed by a GR and ask if they got it, and they had one :) ) and enough credit for my future PS3... :)

Traded in today:
:ps3: NBA 07 - $9
:wii: Arctic Tale - $16

Picked up my Wii Fit preorder and paid with credit. Thanks for everyone posting their trade in prices every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back