The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='jkanownik']Your transactions with GR/BB are similar to many other transactions in a capitalistic society that ignore externalities. You are taking value out of the economic system without providing any value in return. In general most people have no problem with you exploiting the system as long as they don't have to think about it and it's on a small enough scale that it isn't noticed at a macro level. It is not until the system exploitation is raised into consiousness that it becomes an issue. Even if it is raised into conciousness it will not be addressed until the return expected from correcting the issue is greater than the cost of addressing it.

Ethically speaking you are very similar to people on welfare that don't deserve to be, predatory lenders or people that exploit tax loopholes.

On a more personal level the harassment you receive in actuality benefits you in the long run. If it was easier to exploit the trade ins at Blockbuster the FW/SD effect would kick in and everyone would do it. Eventually BB would be forced to change their policy or get out of games completely.[/quote]

Actually I think the real looser in these trades is Target and not BB. BB have the ability to profit from both the traded item and from the item that is bought with the credit. You're somehow vilifying "Me" for playing by thier rules, but not holding BB accountable for thier poor management of trade prices in general.

As a consumer it is my job to shop wisely as it ensures that market forces do actually work and that companies are forced to remain competetive with each other. If we simply accepted whatever we we're given and said thank you sir, we would be little more than pawns and sheep for the more aggressive amongst us.

So by maximizing my dollar(s) by buying low to sell high I'm simply working within the framework set before me.

And like I said Target are the real looser as they are selling products at a lose to those of us combining both clearance and coupons together. But don't worry Target is a French owned company.

And as a Brit, I can honestly say, nothing more pleases me :)

I love the part about bringing video games from California to the midwest, that's hilarious :)

And who the hell does this guy think he is anyway? This isn't high school economics, get a life.

[quote name='io']Thanks, guys. Just curious - what kind of stock do they have for it (360 verson)? I went to Hollywood and snagged it there with a free rental coupon from June 2007 (apparently they don't expire and I'd been throwing away the old ones before :wall:). But Hollywood only had one, and, of course, it is due back so soon (Sunday I think). I'd like to snag it again next week from Blockbuster. Hopefully they deem to carry more than 1 copy!

I have to rent tons of games this month. I got 4 free rentals from Hollywood (all for June - though I guess I could risk saving 1 for next year) and 3 Coke Rewards coupons at Blockbuster that expire June 30th. I really don't have so much time for all those. The thing is, when I rent a game, even for free, I feel like I have to put a few hours in on it every day so I end up doing that and nothing else with my free time :lol:. I've been pouring time into Bully because that was my one of May free Hollywood rentals.[/quote]

yea all i saw was the 360 version but i did see alot of unopened boxes so they may have had more as well as ps3 versions

[quote name='jmiller']Has anyone been able to get the gears of wars' PSP from BB/GR ?
I meant God of War[/quote]

I picked up one today in CA....

Store picked up 3...

Grrrrr...... my store never got in Lego Indiana Jones... *for sale*. They have rental copies, but not my pre-order! Pisses me off. I'll let it slide on Indy, but if they f up MGS4, I'm done.

[quote name='mkernan']Grrrrr...... my store never got in Lego Indiana Jones... *for sale*. They have rental copies, but not my pre-order! Pisses me off. I'll let it slide on Indy, but if they f up MGS4, I'm done.[/quote]

They told me MGS4 would arrive on the 20th. I told them that I would probably have beaten it once by then, but to just keep my preorder anyway. I don't understand why the games to sell arrive on Friday normally, but somehow their rental copies are always out of the official release date.

finally got the GOW psp bundel! I called 3 times today and each time the manager told me they didnt get any in today. So i decide to give it one last shot at about 9:15 the girl working the phone said they had one left. I asked her to hold it and she did. I love the fact that most BB's will hold something for you if you ask them too.

I tried to preorder MGS4 at my nearest BB... and they didn't have it available to preorder.

The guy told me they will definitely have it because it is a big title.

When anyone starts seeing American Idol down to 12.50 from 25, let me know. I found a target that has 4 copies. It sounds like the TIV is 35 right now, but I dont even want to spend 15 on it with the coupon because theres nothing coming out for a long time that I'd buy at blockbuster besides maybe Force Unleased and GH4. I'd spend the 2.50 on American idol tho to flip for 35 :)

I was surprised that my local GR had the ever allusive Lost Planet: Colonies in stock. I brought a copy of The Orange Box (PS3) to trade in for $30 to my local Gamecrazy via a trade in price match, but they did not have the game in stock. I checked Target, as the $10 off coupon was burning a hole in my pocket, but they did not have it either. A sign of good things to come for Blockbuster/GR I hope......

why would you pre-order from blockbuster.... we don't get shipments in till friday when games come out on Tuesday unless big game..... the number of pre-orders does not change number of games we get so in no way are you ensuring that you will get a the game you are just giving blockbuster 5 dollars..... and there strategy for games sales is stupid, we get in 75 copies of halo, madden, and supper smash brothers but only 2 copies of burnout paradise...then turn around and put them through a machine that destroys them when people stop renting them..... plus we charge almost 9 dollars for a rental... don't shop at blockbuster i work there it is a terrible business

[quote name='smurfbob']don't shop at blockbuster i work there it is a terrible business[/quote]

Yea, we all know. That is why we don't spend our money there. We trade in games (mostly crap games that blockbuster will never be able to resell) to buy good games for ourselves.

[quote name='smurfbob']why would you pre-order from blockbuster.... we don't get shipments in till friday when games come out on Tuesday unless big game..... the number of pre-orders does not change number of games we get so in no way are you ensuring that you will get a the game you are just giving blockbuster 5 dollars..... and there strategy for games sales is stupid, we get in 75 copies of halo, madden, and supper smash brothers but only 2 copies of burnout paradise...then turn around and put them through a machine that destroys them when people stop renting them..... plus we charge almost 9 dollars for a rental... don't shop at blockbuster i work there it is a terrible business[/quote]

We preorder to get rid of our blockbuster credit. I'm not gonna ever say Blockbuster is a good business, but they certainly give a lot of store credit to us for crappy games. We use this credit to preorder other crap and we end up getting it on Fridays. We pick up our preorders on Thur or Fri before Blockbuster resells them.
Thank you for your useful contribution to the forum.

idk, I know CheapyD is around ATM. So who knows.

EDIT-Okay NVM, thanks for keeping this place...

troll.jpg

-FREE.

Sorry,

In Seinfeld's soup Nazi voice "NO TROLL FOR YOU"

On topic, I am thinking about going by my GR/BB tomorrow and starting an account and trading in 2 games because they currently have pretty good trade in values, I am not playing them and they will be cheaper later if I ever want to rebuy them.

Currently I am think about trading:
:360: Gears of War (Bought for $10 at a pawn shop a LONG time ago, actually in a BB case)
:ps3: UT3 (Traded for another game on here but haven't even played it yet)

Also will there be any problem because the Gears of War is in a BB like Rental case, w/ manual??

[quote name='sp00ge']yeah. it's sad, actually. 4:15am and I can't sleep... and I have to be at work in less than 6 hours. :([/quote]

I know what you mean, you look at the clock and say "Damn I really need some sleep but I am not reallytired ."

EDIT-Also are BB accounts centrally base so I can walk in to any BB and rent/buy/trade(GR)? Because my parents have a BB but I was going to start my own since I moved out. Also I was renting from a FRANCHISE while living with my parents, IDK if it make a difference.

for that trade in 4 games, get a game free. is it restricted to only certain titles or do they take even crappy low value games too?

[quote name='freshzen']I love the part about bringing video games from California to the midwest, that's hilarious :)

And who the hell does this guy think he is anyway? This isn't high school economics, get a life.[/quote]

Am I the only person that thought of the Kramer/Newman New York-Michigan bottle return scam on Seinfeld? lol...love that show

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']When anyone starts seeing American Idol down to 12.50 from 25, let me know. I found a target that has 4 copies. It sounds like the TIV is 35 right now, but I dont even want to spend 15 on it with the coupon because theres nothing coming out for a long time that I'd buy at blockbuster besides maybe Force Unleased and GH4. I'd spend the 2.50 on American idol tho to flip for 35 :)[/quote]
The magical target coupon for $10 off is only good until the June 9th. Might want to grab two now while the coupon still works, turn $30 into 70 credit, then hope to get the others when they drop to return with original receipt.
I used to use a lot of the target grocery coupons, stuff like gatorade, goldfish, soda, etc. Often they will take expired coupons that are 'target' coupons, so the coupon may still be accepted after the June 9th.

[quote name='djkunai']I could sure go for a damn good coupon this week.[/quote]

You don't really need a coupon. Stranglehold dropped to 17.99 used at GS this week.

[quote name='dyeknom']You don't really need a coupon. Stranglehold dropped to 17.99 used at GS this week.[/quote]
:drool: Been a few weeks since i traded in this game. $17.99 to $36 is damn tempting. If a b2g1 free sale starts soon....DAMN!

[quote name='dyeknom']You don't really need a coupon. Stranglehold dropped to 17.99 used at GS this week.[/quote]

Seriously?
Woot!

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']What version of stranglehold goes for 36? (217 pages...)

EDIT Is it just the CE PS3 edition, or the regular ones as well?[/quote]

Pretty sure it's both.

I traded in a CE and got $36 about a month ago. They put it on their shelves for something crazy like $65.99 used.

Has anyone traded in Sega Superstars Tennis since Tuesday? Looking for more gamestop flips to go along with Stranglehold.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']What version of stranglehold goes for 36? (217 pages...)

EDIT Is it just the CE PS3 edition, or the regular ones as well?[/quote]

I can confirm it is for the regular one as well. Went out to Gamestop and picked up the last complete copy they had used then headed over to Target to find a bunch of games placed on clearance today. Only one that was a decent price was the ESA Bundle (still $21 here) but with the coupon got it for $11. Also decided to go ahead and trade my copy of College Hoops 2K8 in.

Stranglehold (PS3) - $36
College Hoops 2K8 (360) - $15
Open Season (360) - $12
Cars (360) - $6

Couldn't trade Fuzion Frenzy 2 because of the cover (Labled Not for Resale) but I still managed to make $18 out of $11 and come out with a free game. Reserved a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company for 360 since I've already preordered Guitar Hero: Aerosmith and am still iffy about Alone in the Dark.

[quote name='aea414']
On topic, I am thinking about going by my GR/BB tomorrow and starting an account and trading in 2 games because they currently have pretty good trade in values, I am not playing them and they will be cheaper later if I ever want to rebuy them.

Currently I am think about trading:
:360: Gears of War (Bought for $10 at a pawn shop a LONG time ago, actually in a BB case)
:ps3: UT3 (Traded for another game on here but haven't even played it yet)

Also will there be any problem because the Gears of War is in a BB like Rental case, w/ manual??

EDIT-Also are BB accounts centrally base so I can walk in to any BB and rent/buy/trade(GR)? Because my parents have a BB but I was going to start my own since I moved out. Also I was renting from a FRANCHISE while living with my parents, IDK if it make a difference.[/quote]

Anyone?

[quote name='aea414']Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Well, which questions exactly? Your account can be accessed from any Blockbuster but you will need to sign a new trade agreement at each store. If you are used to dealing with a franchise store keep in mind that prices (both sale and trade-in) could be completely different at regular stores.

Oh, and the rental case thing shouldn't be a problem. I used to get cases my old Gamerush store was throwing out and swap my new flipping games into those cases so I could keep the new cases for my own games (for when I bought used games). As a result I have a huge stack of brand new PS2/GC/360 cases... Too many, actually ;).

SST for the Wii is still 30.00.

Yes, both CE and RE Stranglehold are going for 36.00
. 10% edge + 10% coupon = 15.85 or something like that after tax. Well worth it, traded in 3 today to different BBVs and kept a CE for myself to play through.

[quote name='io']Well, which questions exactly? Your account can be accessed from any Blockbuster but you will need to sign a new trade agreement at each store. If you are used to dealing with a franchise store keep in mind that prices (both sale and trade-in) could be completely different at regular stores.

Oh, and the rental case thing shouldn't be a problem. I used to get cases my old Gamerush store was throwing out and swap my new flipping games into those cases so I could keep the new cases for my own games (for when I bought used games). As a result I have a huge stack of brand new PS2/GC/360 cases... Too many, actually ;).[/quote]

Thank you.

Also I might make a run to GS to get a Stranglehold

Do any of your local Blockbuster stores sell PS2 controllers, memory cards, or component video cables? If they do, then what are their prices?

Damn thanks for the Strnglehold info.
Have two sealed 360s from Target no one wanted to trade for.
This and another NBA 08 will get me GH Aerosmith!

[quote name='donut']Damn thanks for the Strnglehold info.
Have two sealed 360s from Target no one wanted to trade for.
This and another NBA 08 will get me GH Aerosmith![/quote]

Stranglehold for 360 does not get $35, thats only PS3 version, Xbox 360 version gets $15 i think

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']Timeshift for 360 gets $17, I asked them while I was there today. Yay, I'm so helpful.

Also got $36 for PS3 Stranglehold CE, and $6 for COD2 XBOX 360.[/quote]
You ARE helpful!
I got some Timeshifts for $9.98 at Target along with some free COD2's.
$9.98 to $23 will be nice. Need to build up credit again, just nabbed a wii/wii play/nunchuck with bulk of credit.

anyone trade in harry potter or the bigs yesterday? i went back a couple pages to see if anyone posted updated tiv, but didn't find anything. ill call before i trade them in, but figured someone probably traded them in already and didn't post.

[quote name='dyeknom']Time shift - 20.00[/quote]

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']Timeshift for 360 gets $17, I asked them while I was there today. Yay, I'm so helpful.[/quote]

???

I guess I'll have to call tomorrow.

Well, went out to Kmart and Target tonight. 2 Kmarts were a total bust but I got a few things at Target. I completely forgot that Cars is not one of those games that requires an override if under $10 so I only got one (bracing for an explanation to the cashier to get an override and was surprised when it didn't need it) - wish I had bought a couple more. I did pick up the 3-pack but it was $21 before coupon so not such a great deal (would have left that and gotten another Cars instead had I realized the deal). Also, Timeshift was $27.98, so that's a pretty horrible flip even with $10 off. Same with Tony Hawk Proving Ground.

I did pick up a Harry Potter for $15 - coupon so I'll be waiting for that price quote as well. I was going to return the one I bought in Virginia for $21 minus coupon but then I took a look at the receipt and my total was less than $10 (since they did an override of the $10 coupon on a Geometry Wars card) so I don't think that will fly.

Did we ever get an updated quote on CoD2 (Wiki shows $8 for 5/18)? That seems to be the only Target clearance game I see in abundance ($3.98 after coupon). Not the best flip but I might as well throw one in there if I'm trading other stuff to add to the variety.

Ghozt - Last quote for Harry Potter was $15 but it was from the 2nd which was Monday and thus just prior to a potential drop. Likelihood is that it is still $15, but there's a chance it dropped. Last quote for The Bigs was $12 on June 1st, so same deal. Using our friend "Search This Thread" some more I see CoD2 at $8 from 5/31. BUT, Cars is showing as $8 from then as well and it did drop this week (to $6). Keep in mind that last week I got $9.10 for Cars from Gamecrazy as just their regular price (with MVP). That is kind of a weird price so chances are it is even higher at other GCs (and was lower there because they had too many).

Hey Io, I know you have been here for a while and have been flipping for a while. I was just wondering have you ever done the math and figured out how much your investment to credit/product ratio worked out?(I know that is probably a lot of number crunching)

[quote name='aea414']Hey Io, I know you have been here for a while and have been flipping for a while. I was just wondering have you ever done the math and figured out how much your investment to credit/product ratio worked out?(I know that is probably a lot of number crunching)[/QUOTE]

It's all in an Excel spreadsheet, my man ;). So I know exactly how much I've spent on original games, how much credit I've gotten, and how many games I have as a result of the Blockbuster credit.

I've revealed some of the numbers before. I won't give out the totals (just yet - maybe some day) but my percentage is currently running at 39% (I believe that is what you are asking - e.g., $10 of credit cost me $3.90 to obtain). I've generally been doing better than that more recently, though, as that includes trades I made way back during the trade 2 get any new game for $30 deal where I didn't factor in the $10-$20 savings on the game and occasionally traded things at cost just to get the discount. Interestingly enough, my percentages at Gamecrazy (33%) and Gamestop (35%) are better which seems counterintuitive. Also note that my percentages at each store are always calculated off of some real money cost so when I bounce games back and forth (say Halo 3 from BB -> GS last Dec) I actually estimate the cost of that in real $$ based on the current percentage at the store I purchased it at. So the actual percentages at all 3 stores are probably a bit lower than my calculations. I'm sure I could have done it a better way but I set up these Excel sheets a few years ago and it is easy enough to just keep using them as is - they also keep track of my total leftover credit so that I don't get too carried away :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back