The Bureau: Xcom Declassified, $39.99 at Target

Ah Pook

CAGiversary!
Didn't see a thread, or any mention of it in the Target ad thread. both the 360 and ps3 versions of The Bureau are on temporary price cut at Target for $39.99 at the moment.

Gotta wait until this one is $10 or below to sate my curiosity for this game.  So much potential and I've yet to hear a good thing since it's been released. 

Rev3 had a preview that really piqued my interest, but it's clear that what they saw then didn't reflect the final game. It sounds like they should've rethought the story and polished the gameplay a lot more. Oh well. It's not as if there aren't plenty of other things to play.

Rev3 had a preview that really piqued my interest, but it's clear that what they saw then didn't reflect the final game. It sounds like they should've rethought the story and polished the gameplay a lot more. Oh well. It's not as if there aren't plenty of other things to play.
True but sucks i am a fan of oldschool xcom fan so was so hoping this was 6 or 7 out of ten. oh well :)

True but sucks i am a fan of oldschool xcom fan so was so hoping this was 6 or 7 out of ten. oh well :)
if you were an oldschool xcom fan, wouldn't you hate this one, because of the style of gameplay?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a 3rd-person cover shooter that sorta looks like a combo of Gears of War and Mass Effect. If they didn't slap the XCOM name on it, no one would connect it to that franchise, especially the turn-based aspect.

Maybe I'll just chime in as someone who actually played it instead of metacritic holding my hand.

It's fine.  It's definitely a direct rip of Mass Effect 3 gameplay, with some tweaks.  They don't go out of their way to hide this fact.  It is about as strategic as ME3 is with a bit more control of your squadmates.  That said, the squadmate AI in ME3 was a bit better at getting out of the way of the enemy.

The story is kind of fun in a late 50's sci-fi kind of way.  No great earth-shaking revelations, no heart-breaking emotional moments.  It's fairly bare bones, which is entirely fitting with that era of storytelling.  It's what they were purposely going for, and for better or worse, they definitely maintained that hard-boiled, no-nonsense tone.

It's not entirely polished, it's not doing a particularly good job of ripping off ME3, and they might have benefitted from not making it so easy to make direct unflattering comparisons.  They obviously didn't have Biowares budget or time, and it shows.

However, there is a lot to like here.  The gameplay is fun, and there is nowhere else to get it unless you are still into ME3.  The story is good, not great, but a good yarn in the square-jawed, fedora wearing, style of "The Outer Limits" or the original "Thing from Outer Space".  I paid $50 on pre-order because I love XCOM and ME and found the previews interesting.  I'm not overly disappointed.  I'd pick it up happily at $30.

YMMV, but it's certainly not the travesty some people are pretending it is.

This is a 3rd-person cover shooter that sorta looks like a combo of Gears of War and Mass Effect. If they didn't slap the XCOM name on it, no one would connect it to that franchise, especially the turn-based aspect.
it basically a reskinned gears of war and mass effect style game, with the name xcom slapped on the boxart

Maybe I'll just chime in as someone who actually played it instead of metacritic holding my hand.

It's fine. It's definitely a direct rip of Mass Effect 3 gameplay, with some tweaks. They don't go out of their way to hide this fact. It is about as strategic as ME3 is with a bit more control of your squadmates. That said, the squadmate AI in ME3 was a bit better at getting out of the way of the enemy.

The story is kind of fun in a late 50's sci-fi kind of way. No great earth-shaking revelations, no heart-breaking emotional moments. It's fairly bare bones, which is entirely fitting with that era of storytelling. It's what they were purposely going for, and for better or worse, they definitely maintained that hard-boiled, no-nonsense tone.

It's not entirely polished, it's not doing a particularly good job of ripping off ME3, and they might have benefitted from not making it so easy to make direct unflattering comparisons. They obviously didn't have Biowares budget or time, and it shows.

However, there is a lot to like here. The gameplay is fun, and there is nowhere else to get it unless you are still into ME3. The story is good, not great, but a good yarn in the square-jawed, fedora wearing, style of "The Outer Limits" or the original "Thing from Outer Space". I paid $50 on pre-order because I love XCOM and ME and found the previews interesting. I'm not overly disappointed. I'd pick it up happily at $30.

It's fine. It's definitely a direct rip of Mass Effect 3 gameplay, with some tweaks. They don't go out of their way to hide this fact. It is about as strategic as ME3 is with a bit more control of your squadmates. That said, the squadmate AI in ME3 was a bit better at getting out of the way of the enemy.

The story is kind of fun in a late 50's sci-fi kind of way. No great earth-shaking revelations, no heart-breaking emotional moments. It's fairly bare bones, which is entirely fitting with that era of storytelling. It's what they were purposely going for, and for better or worse, they definitely maintained that hard-boiled, no-nonsense tone.

It's not entirely polished, it's not doing a particularly good job of ripping off ME3, and they might have benefitted from not making it so easy to make direct unflattering comparisons. They obviously didn't have Biowares budget or time, and it shows.

However, there is a lot to like here. The gameplay is fun, and there is nowhere else to get it unless you are still into ME3. The story is good, not great, but a good yarn in the square-jawed, fedora wearing, style of "The Outer Limits" or the original "Thing from Outer Space". I paid $50 on pre-order because I love XCOM and ME and found the previews interesting. I'm not overly disappointed. I'd pick it up happily at $30.

i waited till $10 to pick up mass effect 3, so i will do the same here.

bread's done
Back