The Contender

twanky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So anyone see it tonight? The reality show hosted by Sugar Ray Lennard and Sylvester Stalone. I thought it was pretty good, although i kinda wanted Manfredo to win.

I didn't get a chance to watch this but the idea seems pretty reasonable, in terms of wild reality shows.

I thought the show was well done. It had the standard reality TV drama. The only part I had a real issue with was the fight. I hate the way they edited it. The slow motion really took out any feeling of impacts behind the punches.

[quote name='Backlash']I haen't seen this but I've been enjoying the one on Spike TV about the UFC.[/quote]

Yea the ultimate fighter is good. they Actually show ENTIRE fights.

And didnt i already see the contender already? Oh wait that was the next great champion or something.

I think the only reason alot of people will watch this is becuase of the guy on the show who killed himself. Sad that they will prolly exploit that just for higher ratings...

Contender tanked in the ratings. I believe it came in dead last (heh, no pun intended, no really) in its time slot.

Wow, I really hope they continue with the Conteder. It's an excellent show, and I think it's very well done.

They do a very good job with showing the personalities of the fighters and how important it is to them to win.

I loved how Gomez took the fight to Peter. I thought Peter was going to win, but Gomez fought really well.

Yeah, i also thought Peter was going to win, especially in the 2nd round, but then Gomez came back in full force and pretty much dominated the remaining rounds. I hope the show get's better ratings, i'd hate to see this show cancelled or something.

[quote name='twanky']Yeah, i also thought Peter was going to win, especially in the 2nd round, but then Gomez came back in full force and pretty much dominated the remaining rounds. I hope the show get's better ratings, i'd hate to see this show cancelled or something.[/quote]

Me and the wife were literally on the edge of our seats throughout the entire fight.

What makes it even better is the show comes on three times a week. Hopefully, it will get better ratings on Thursday and Sunday.

I didn't even want to give it a chance after the way nbc advertised it as "the next great human emotional drama" or something like that. Makes it sound like all the boxers will cry with each other instead of boxing against each other.

I think NBC made a big mistake, Monday night is not the best day to debut a new show. I really hope it gets better ratings on its regular night, Its way better than De Lahoya's blatant ripoff "Next Great Champ".

[quote name='ofacto']I think NBC made a big mistake, Monday night is not the best day to debut a new show. I really hope it gets better ratings on its regular night, Its way better than De Lahoya's blatant ripoff "Next Great Champ".[/quote]

I don't know if you can call it a ripoff. My understanding is that both shows began work almost simulataneously. I believe there was litigation over who came up with the idea first.

[quote name='musha666']Was it just me, or did they add sound effects to the punches like they did in the Rocky movies??[/quote]

Yeah, I believe there's kinda a boom effect and they slow it down when there's a particularly hard punch. I kinda like that, though.

I loooooooooooooove watching boxing, but NBC's version of boxing is of a much higher quality.

Also, I really like how the matches are sanctioned. I don't think that's how it was in the Next Great Champ.

Didn't seem to be promoted very well. But a friend told me yesterday so I checked it out. It was okay. I missed the end of the fight, but what I did see was pretty good hitting. Its funny to see Sly out there running the thing though. Be awesome if the last show was him fighting the winner...

I enjoyed both episodes. The first one more cuz it was a better fight IMO. I can't wait to see the Arab guy fight the guy who keeps bugging him. West seems to have better fighters.

It seems more professionally done then The Next Great Champ whose fighters seemed to be alittle out of shape. I remember 2 guys were out of breath by the middle of the second round.

Eh, I was kinda hoping for the black guy to win that match. It was alright, but yeah, I like the UFC one much better.

I just watched the first 2 episodes that I got off torrents.

I don't believe Reid lost that match O_O My 2 favs to win the whole damn thing are out the window now. Manfredo and Reid.

And it is sad about Turpin, wish he wouldn't have gone out that way.

[quote name='SS4Brolly']Eh, I was kinda hoping for the black guy to win that match. It was alright, but yeah, I like the UFC one much better.[/quote]

Same here.

But I think the Contender is a better product. They seem to capture the emotions of the boxers better and it just makes for better tv, imo.

I really like Ultimate Fighter, but the fights so far have been pretty weak.

Ultimate fighter has goteen better. I'm glad they brought back that dude with the red hair Chris i think his name was. He made the show much more interesting. That Diego dude may not be able to handle his liquor but he won two fights already by submission. Best fight from that UFC show is definetly the one they had when Bobby Southworth fought.

The Contender is arguably the most compelling TV show on the air right now. The fights are also top notch and if you've ever been one to say "boxing is boring", the whole TV editing and slow-mo emphasis on hits really appeases the possible undesirability of watching 5 full rounds.

Anyone else notice that the fighter that is highlighted at the beginning of the episode (they show him and his family interaction) is the one that loses? It's happened in both of the first episodes so far.

I feckin missed tonight's episode. I'm pissed beyond measure.

Is there an encore later in the week? Or do you guys know of any handy places to um ... erm ... "find" it. PM me if you do.

Thanks guys. I dont have cable just because I am not home enought o justify a dish and cable isnt available at my house. So Next sunday I will have to tune in.

[quote name='Snake2715']Thanks guys. I dont have cable just because I am not home enought o justify a dish and cable isnt available at my house. So Next sunday I will have to tune in.[/quote]

You can find it on certain sites ... if you catch my drift.

Try Oarfish Rat Recipes Every Non Thursday.

[quote name='goukill1120']I enjoyed both episodes. The first one more cuz it was a better fight IMO. I can't wait to see the Arab guy fight the guy who keeps bugging him. West seems to have better fighters.

It seems more professionally done then The Next Great Champ whose fighters seemed to be alittle out of shape. I remember 2 guys were out of breath by the middle of the second round.[/quote]

This was actually a good fight. Ahmed (I think he's Lebanese) was to freakin cocky talked a lot of crap then ended up getting whupped.

[quote name='The Shiznit'] This was actually a good fight. Ahmed (I think he's Lebanese) was to freakin cocky talked a lot of crap then ended up getting whupped.[/quote]

Yeah that was awesome, i was happy to see ishe beat ahmed. That dude was just way too cocky.

[quote name='onetrackmind'][quote name='The Shiznit'] This was actually a good fight. Ahmed (I think he's Lebanese) was to freakin cocky talked a lot of crap then ended up getting whupped.[/quote]

Yeah that was awesome, i was happy to see ishe beat ahmed. That dude was just way too cocky.[/quote]

Just got through watching the encore showing and gotta say, this is one damn-good tv show!

Ishe took the fight to Ahmed.

Did anyone see Jesse lay the wood to Anthony?

Man, I thought Jesse was in trouble because Anthony really outworked him in Round 4, but outta nowhere comes the overhand right. Damn, that was a hard hit.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Did anyone see Jesse lay the wood to Anthony?

Man, I thought Jesse was in trouble because Anthony really outworked him in Round 4, but outta nowhere comes the overhand right. Damn, that was a hard hit.[/QUOTE]

it was fucking awesome, jesse was my pick to win the whole thing from the get go, although i think sergio might end up winning it all. I loved seeing #1 dad get laid out.

[quote name='onetrackmind']it was fucking awesome, jesse was my pick to win the whole thing from the get go, although i think sergio might end up winning it all. I loved seeing #1 dad get laid out.[/QUOTE]

It was kinda sad for his kids to see their pappy get the shite knocked outta him, but I'm glad he got beat like he did. He was always out to screw over everyone else.

It's so hard to say who's going to win it all. Sergio is the tallest and has the longest arms, so that gives him an advantage, but I really like Alfonso's heart. The guy just never quits.

I don't think Peter has what it takes to beat Jesse, Sergio or Alfonso, though.

If I had to pick, I'd go with Sergio.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']It was kinda sad for his kids to see their pappy get the shite knocked outta him, but I'm glad he got beat like he did. He was always out to screw over everyone else.

It's so hard to say who's going to win it all. Sergio is the tallest and has the longest arms, so that gives him an advantage, but I really like Alfonso's heart. The guy just never quits.

I don't think Peter has what it takes to beat Jesse, Sergio or Alfonso, though.

If I had to pick, I'd go with Sergio.[/QUOTE]

yeah but pretty much everyone who has fought has had there kids present, so i didnt feel sorry for him cause he was a dick and was kinda wierd about his kids. Its like he was in a completely different world with being obsessed with his kids.

I agree with Peter, he hasn't impressed me at all. Alfonso kinda struggled with ahmed towards the end of the fight, but hes still incredible. Sergio came out of nowhere, i wasn't expecting him to be such a good fighter. It seems like him and jesse are very good at getting people off there games during a fight.

Jesse really impressed me against anthony because he wasn't in his best shape or even in the right kind of mood. Plus Anthony was a good fighter and totally kicked the ass of the guy in his first fight so i think Jesse stands a very good chance to win it.

It sucks that its doing so poor in the ratings because i absolutely love this show, i even got my gf watching it.

[quote name='onetrackmind']yeah but pretty much everyone who has fought has had there kids present, so i didnt feel sorry for him cause he was a dick and was kinda wierd about his kids. Its like he was in a completely different world with being obsessed with his kids.

I agree with Peter, he hasn't impressed me at all. Alfonso kinda struggled with ahmed towards the end of the fight, but hes still incredible. Sergio came out of nowhere, i wasn't expecting him to be such a good fighter. It seems like him and jesse are very good at getting people off there games during a fight.

Jesse really impressed me against anthony because he wasn't in his best shape or even in the right kind of mood. Plus Anthony was a good fighter and totally kicked the ass of the guy in his first fight so i think Jesse stands a very good chance to win it.

It sucks that its doing so poor in the ratings because i absolutely love this show, i even got my gf watching it.[/QUOTE]

Jesse was getting the shit beat out of him on the 4th and most of the 5th rounds. Like Sly said it was a lucky shot by jesse or else anthony would have won. I really didn't care who won that fight because it posted up to dickhead cocky fighters against each other. Hopefully the match ups next week will be fair and will face

Alfonso vs. Jesse ---or--- Peter vs. Sergio.

Those are 2 good matches with IMO alfonso and Peter to win.

Can't wait til Sunday.

[quote name='onetrackmind']yeah but pretty much everyone who has fought has had there kids present, so i didnt feel sorry for him cause he was a dick and was kinda wierd about his kids. Its like he was in a completely different world with being obsessed with his kids.

It sucks that its doing so poor in the ratings because i absolutely love this show, i even got my gf watching it.[/QUOTE]

My wife is just as obsessed with the show as I am. I think it's in kind of a bad time slot, too. I always forget that it's coming on Sunday night, so I usually have to catch the encore on MSNBC.

I was kind of worried that Jesse could be dehydrated and tired after having to lose so much weight, but he came out with a lot of energy. I was really impressed.

Hopefully the show will get renewed for a new season. I think they should stay away from the cliche reality show events, but then again I like how they are doing it now where the winner gets to pick who he fights or who fights each other.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Jesse was getting the shit beat out of him on the 4th and most of the 5th rounds. Like Sly said it was a lucky shot by jesse or else anthony would have won. I really didn't care who won that fight because it posted up to dickhead cocky fighters against each other. Hopefully the match ups next week will be fair and will face

Alfonso vs. Jesse ---or--- Peter vs. Sergio.

Those are 2 good matches with IMO alfonso and Peter to win.

Can't wait til Sunday.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Peter can beat Sergio.

Out of those matchups, though, I'd take Jesse and Sergio.

But I thought Jesse won the 1st and 3rd round while Anthony won the 2nd and almost killed him in the 4th round. I thought the 5th round was going to decide who the winner was.

bread's done
Back