The Costco Topic

sonderiaom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Alright, I've seen several different topics here about Costco and figure I could help out in some way by compiling information here. You are in no way to use any of this information to steal anything.

Cheap Food
:

The first real easy information I have is a way to get into the food court at Costco. If you've ever tried and you don't have a membership you will be instantly turned away. We're supposed to do this because it cuts down on the people being able to come in and steal crud from us. Anyway, I'm going to tell you an easy way to get into Costco without the Membership. Just say that you're going to the pharmacy. I forget exactly which law it is, but it states that any place that has a pharmacy has to allow patrons access to it. In other words, just say that you're going to the pharmacy to the people at the door, go across the registers and go the foodcourt.

As well, getting in allows you to go and sample everything. Make sure to do this before 5 though because that is usually when the WDS people, the ones who handle the samples, start to shut down.

If you want to check out prices
:

Go to the Membership desk, which should be near the exit, and say that you'd like to check out the prices. They'll ask for a piece of ID and then they'll copy it and give you a temp pass and let you go on your way.

Concerning Return Policy
:

The return policy used to be permanant, you could have something for 15 years and bring it back and we'd take it back; that is not the case anymore. At our warehouse the story was that a guy had bought a cart full of meat and was going to use it for a barbecue. He never got around to it, but the freezer that he was storing the meat in died and he wanted to bring all the meat in and return it as it says that "for whatever reason you are unhappy, you may return it." Anyway, we lost a lot of money on that and killed the return policy down to 2 years. However, that means 2 years for whatever reason, you could buy a tv, go on a cruise ship, throw it overboard in the carribean, forget it for a year, dig it up, bring it back, and so long as you're still a member, we'll take it back.

As well, you do not need a receipt. You will however have a harder and longer time returning it without a receipt or a date of purchase because only the Manager can access all records.

You should however keep your reciept. Reason being that it shows what price you paid for it. If they have to look through your records, they will find the item that you're trying to return, but according to the computer, they will give back the money that it last sold at, which could easily be a fraction of what you bought it for.

Computers are another story. 6 months is the return policy for any computers. This used to be longer as well, but people were abusing it, bringing back 2 year old computers to get brand new computers.

There is one thing about the return policy. Nowhere on any of our signs does it say anything about two years. That means if you want to be an asshole customer and basically get crap service for the rest of the time they remember you, you may argue that fact.

As far as the two year return policy limit, that may just be a decision by the warehouse manager made by themselves. I have returned my original xbox over 3 years past purchase date with original receipt with no problems at the Eugene, Oregon store after having purchased it in Yakima, Washington. My old warehouse didn't have a problem, others might. It is best to take it with a grain of salt, and do remember, keep the receipt and all the accessories that came with the purchase, boxes do not matter as much, but they help. But make sure to include instructions, install cd's, etc.

Looking up items:

Alright, this is a little trickier and YMMV compared to the other information. If you can find access to any computer, use IAI and press enter. This'll bring you to a search screen to check the inventory of the warehouse that you're at. Anything that has an I next to it when you complete a search means that it is currently in stock. To jump to the next screen, you need to press shift and the up arrow button. After you've selected all the items that you'd like the info on, press Enter and you will be taken to the individual items page where it has information as to what is on hand, what is on order, and when the last one was sold and at what price.

As well, you could just as easily ask anyone near the registers with a red vest to look it up and they most certainly will if not busy. If you want any numbers for items; just ask and I'll try to find them.

Price Tag Secrets:

There are several secrets with the price tags that you should know. If you ever look at every single price tag there are certain symbols that are sometimes seen on them. I'll give you a breakdown on all of them.

* This would indicate that we are currently not ordering any more of this item. If you see this on an item that you like, you should buy as much of them as you can as it's possible you'll never see them again at Costco.

+ This would indicate that this is at a lowered price than is normal. It doesn't mean that it's bad, it just means that we're probably trying to get rid of it for some newer items. As well, on jewelry, it means that it's Cubic Zirconia and not real diamond.

Concerning Jewelry:

Here is another good point that I was just reminded of; every single piece of jewelry that we sell appraises for at least double of what we sell it. That means that you could easily get a $120 necklace for $60 like I have done in the past. If you don't find what you would like in the jewelry case, ask anyone in a red vest in the electronic department for some help. Generally there is an employee on the staff that is very knowledgeable on the jewelry and can custom order anything that you'd like.

Concerning the Prices:

I found this interesting and I suspect so will some of the rest of you. Whatever Item we get in Costco can only be raised at a MAXIMUM of 15% to give us profit. In other words, the price we sell things for are almost the cheapest that you will see anywhere, bar rebates and sales and we have those occasionally anyway.

As far as maximum markup, when we last had Costco U (which is usually a biannual training seminar) Jim Sinegal (the CEO) said that Costco's highest markup is 11%, and most things are lower than that. That is why new video games are usually only five dollars lower than retail price, because the markup on those things is so slim anyways.

Concerning Ads:

Being that I am in a position to be handing out ads everytime they roll around, I am able to get a hold of them a chunk of time beforehand. If enough people are interested, I would be able to scan the ads and give a heads-up as to what is going to go on sale soon. However, just because you know what is going to be on sale, does not mean that you will be able to take advantage of it as the register needs to scan a barcode to create the price markdown.

Being that Costco isn't everywhere, you can still order stuff online. However, doing so adds I think $5 to the cost. However, I'm also pretty sure that you would still be included in the return policy as you did buy it from Costco itself. As well, I'm aware that not everyone knows whether they have a Costco around so Here is the place to go for that.

Prescription Drugs:

Oh, and if you guys take any prescription drugs, check with Costco for their prices, especially if you are taking a generic drug. For example, generic Prozac (fluoxetine) runs about 40 dollars a month at a Rite Aid Pharmacy, and three months of the same medicine costs about 10 dollars at Costco (this is for 20mg strength). The reason behind this is the markup on generic drugs. Brand name drugs (i.e. Lipitor, Effexor, Zocor, Celebrex, Allegra, etc.) have a very small markup, usually five dollars or so above the actual drug cost. Generic drugs are where pharmacies make their money. While Walgreens or CVS purchase their generic drugs for the same cost as we do (for example, the generic Prozac I quoted above is purchased for about $2.50 per 100 count bottle), they have a much higher price, and as a result, make a much higher profit. As you can see though, the pharmacy is the one area of the store that does not adhere to the 11% markup that the rest of the warehouse does, but remember, they have to pay for the pharmacists, who are the highest paid employees in the warehouse, with the exception of the warehouse manager.

Italics are Argarth's Additions

Wow I just wish our Costco would close some shit out. This area never seems to. Seems like we've got enough idiots to buy shit for any price to fuck over us cheapasses.
I'm a little bit pissed about the return policies date because that means if my 360 goes out after 2 years I'm fucked and I'm not one of those abusers. You'd think with reasonable customers they'd secretly make an exception.

[quote name='Sarang01']Wow I just wish our Costco would close some shit out. This area never seems to. Seems like we've got enough idiots to buy shit for any price to fuck over us cheapasses.[/QUOTE]

I hear that. Last weekend when I was at Costco I saw about 200 mario kart DS bundles. Those have GOT to be close out soon don't they?

The last time I visited their website, they had a tab in the nav bar for caskets. That struck me as quite odd.

edit: and they still do. Seriously. Who buys funeral stuff at a chain store?

[quote name='jmcc']The last time I visited their website, they had a tab in the nav bar for caskets. That struck me as quite odd.

edit: and they still do. Seriously. Who buys funeral stuff at a chain store?[/QUOTE]

You can order instore too!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I hear that. Last weekend when I was at Costco I saw about 200 mario kart DS bundles. Those have GOT to be close out soon don't they?[/quote]

It is very rare for Costco itself to sell them for less than what we already sell them for. However, if you ever see a lot of them just disappear, check to see if you have a Stupid Prices somewhere around you. I have one here, and I see stuff from Costco all the time there including TV's, Video Games, and Toys.

[quote name='jmcc']The last time I visited their website, they had a tab in the nav bar for caskets. That struck me as quite odd.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd actually just found this out the other day too. Some customer asked me this and I was flabbergasted if we had. I told them to chat with membership and they said to check the website. So apparently you can get a Casket and a gallon of milk at the same time.

Thanks for all of the info! I've known a lot of it, but a lot was still new to me.

Sucks about the return policy. Idiots abusing a good thing, as usual it seems. :mad:

[quote name='OGHowie']Nice post OP.

Hmmm, should I return my plasma or not? Moral choices are tough![/quote]
Well, I've actually been wanting to do this topic for a while, as I'd thought that I could benefit this community a bit more with some inside information as it were. As well I know that there are other people here who work at Costco who may add information that I forgot to add.

And as for returning the plasma; I guess that would depend on yourself. We got a lot of TV's returned after the superbowl. And we routinely get barbecues returned after Summers.

[quote name='sonderiaom']It is very rare for Costco itself to sell them for less than what we already sell them for. However, if you ever see a lot of them just disappear, check to see if you have a Stupid Prices somewhere around you. I have one here, and I see stuff from Costco all the time there including TV's, Video Games, and Toys.

[/QUOTE]

I figured as much but then again there was that awesome deal on gameboy micros not too long ago...

Never heard of stupid prices but we do have other closeout stores in the area.

Nice post. The 2 year limit on returns is news to me and good to know. They really should make it more known.

The receipt checking at the door pisses me off. I like to just walk on out if there is a line of people waiting to show their receipt, but that tends to upset my gf or family (depending on who's with me) so it's pretty much a lose lose for me.

I do love the food court. Their dogs aren't bad and it's $1.50 for a jumbo dog and a coke.

And IIRC I think I've read good things about Costco caskets actually. Good quality for the price.

Sond would you consider telling Costco to carry the first SED models ASAP? I know Costco has a thing about getting that type of shit a few months after but get them near when they launch because dude these big flat screens are basically big CRT's that are flat. I'm saying there are NO picture problems with these, they're fucking perfect, only problem is the expected burn-in that comes with CRT's as well.
Wubb I've been lied to about the return thing, being told 5 years. X-(

[quote name='wubb']The receipt checking at the door pisses me off. I like to just walk on out if there is a line of people waiting to show their receipt, but that tends to upset my gf or family (depending on who's with me) so it's pretty much a lose lose for me.[/quote]
Honestly, as one who does that very same job, I find it pointless as well. Generally, if it's more than 12 items, I don't even check to see that every item is on there; I just make sure all the doubles are there, and everything over $300 is signitured.

The marking of the receipt however does mean something. If you have an unmarked receipt, that means that the item on the receipt hasn't been picked up. In other words, it is entirely possible to pick up single or multiple items up multiple times. If you do this at my store though I will catch you, I have a knack for faces.

[quote name='Sarang01']Sond would you consider telling Costco to carry the first SED models ASAP? I know Costco has a thing about getting that type of shit a few months after but get them near when they launch because dude these big flat screens are basically big CRT's that are flat. I'm saying there are NO picture problems with these, they're fucking perfect, only problem is the expected burn-in that comes with CRT's as well.
Wubb I've been lied to about the return thing, being told 5 years. X-([/quote]
As much as I would love to, you'd have to put it in the suggestion box. They don't listen to me whatsoever. I'd love to have more of a pull in Costco as a whole, but I was only just hired there in August as it is. I suggest going to the website. And if you ever want to chat with the 'manager' of the electronics area, make sure that the person you're chatting with is Marty.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Honestly, as one who does that very same job, I find it pointless as well. Generally, if it's more than 12 items, I don't even check to see that every item is on there; I just make sure all the doubles are there, and everything over $300 is signitured.

The marking of the receipt however does mean something. If you have an unmarked receipt, that means that the item on the receipt hasn't been picked up. In other words, it is entirely possible to pick up single or multiple items up multiple times. If you do this at my store though I will catch you, I have a knack for faces.

As much as I would love to, you'd have to put it in the suggestion box. They don't listen to me whatsoever. I'd love to have more of a pull in Costco as a whole, but I was only just hired there in August as it is. I suggest going to the website. And if you ever want to chat with the 'manager' of the electronics area, make sure that the person you're chatting with is Marty.[/QUOTE]

Ok dude because this is the THING dude, the Plasma and LCD destroyer and I can't wait to see it destroy BOTH! Yeah but I'm in Kansas. If I ever roll on out there I'll say hi to you.

[quote name='Sarang01']Yeah but I'm in Kansas. If I ever roll on out there I'll say hi to you.[/quote]

Ah, my bad, I'd somehow thought that you were in my area. I know that there are a couple people in my area, and I'd actually given this site to a coworker of mine too so it's just a while till I see him on here.

Oh yeah, I'd actually remembered some info that I'm going to add to the OP.

[quote name='sonderiaom']
Looking up items:

Alright, this is a little trickier and YMMV compared to the other information. If you can find access to any computer, use IAI and press enter. This'll bring you to a search screen to check the inventory of the warehouse that you're at. Anything that has an I next to it when you complete a search means that it is currently in stock. To jump to the next screen, you need to press shift and the up arrow button. After you've selected all the items that you'd like the info on, press Enter and you will be taken to the individual items page where it has information as to what is on hand, what is on order, and when the last one was sold and at what price.

As well, you could just as easily ask anyone near the registers with a red vest to look it up and they most certainly will if not busy. If you want any numbers for items; just ask and I'll try to find them.
[/quote]

...I don't understand this, can I do this from my home computer?

[quote name='Kirra']...I don't understand this, can I do this from my home computer?[/quote]

Unfortunately, no. Though this would be a really great idea that the website should implement, I just mean any open computer that isn't in the Electronics section. I know they have one on the Front End after the registers, and there is an open one always right across the Food Court in mine.

Nice info, thanks OP. Too bad some jerk abused the return policy and ruined it for the rest of us honest folk...remind anyone of the Wal-Mart crap we hear about here from time to time? :roll:

Anyway, if you can post the ads, I'm sure people (myself included) would be appreciative.

I have a pretty dumb question...
what do they do with all those returned items?
I've been to Costco a few times, but I don't think I've seen any items tagged with "returned" or "pre-owned."
Do they all go to that stupid prices store or some other bargain store? I've never heard of em.

[quote name='sonderiaom']And as for returning the plasma; I guess that would depend on yourself. We got a lot of TV's returned after the superbowl. And we routinely get barbecues returned after Summers.[/QUOTE]

So would I need the original packaging for the plasma? I have the receipt and instructions, but none of the original boxes.

[quote name='invinceable104']I have a pretty dumb question...
what do they do with all those returned items?
I've been to Costco a few times, but I don't think I've seen any items tagged with "returned" or "pre-owned."
Do they all go to that stupid prices store or some other bargain store? I've never heard of em.[/quote]

No, that's not a very stupid question. It's actually pretty smart as we do sometimes restock some items. If an item is returned in perfect order, the person simply didn't want it anymore, than we put it back on the shelf. If something is visibly used, than we simply return it to vendor and get a percentage back on what we paid for it. An interesting note on this is that if you ever return flowers, we get 100% back what we paid for them.

As well, it turns out that Stupid Prices is only in Washington, Oregon, California, and Florida.

[quote name='OGHowie']So would I need the original packaging for the plasma? I have the receipt and instructions, but none of the original boxes.[/quote]

Naw, don't worry about any original packaging, it's not needed whatsoever. You don't even need the instructions. However you do need all the useful componants such as the remote control, adapters, plugins, etc. In fact, when our warehouse first opened, I'd heard of some people trying to return items from other stores to us.

[quote name='sonderiaom']

As well, it turns out that Stupid Prices is only in Washington, Oregon, California, and Florida.

Naw, don't worry about any original packaging, it's not needed whatsoever. You don't even need the instructions. However you do need all the useful componants such as the remote control, adapters, plugins, etc. In fact, when our warehouse first opened, I'd heard of some people trying to return items from other stores to us.[/QUOTE]

I was just about to say here in OR we have no such thing as "Stupid Prices". I thought you were making a joke there at first. I'll have to check it out - certainly never seen the store.

I returned a portable DVD player after 15 months and felt pretty bad about it. Really, though, I had only used the thing for a few days during that time. I've been a Costco member since 1990 or so and this is the first time I've ever done anything like that. But the thing wasn't holding a charge any more, and I knew about their return policy so I figured I'd use it this once. They were pretty picky about getting ALL the accessories back though - wanted both sets of elcheapo headphones that it came with. Luckily I had stuck them in the car when I first opened it (and never once used them) so I went back out to get them and completed the return.

HOWEVER, it is absolute shocking news to me that you don't need the receipt. DAMN. I had a $140 camera (this was a ways back - we're talking 35mm film point and shoot) that broke down a month after the 1 year warranty was up. I couldn't find the receipt so I didn't bother taking it back to Costco, and, in fact, bought another. I would have taken it in right away if I had known I didn't need a receipt. I thought the way they covered themselves was two-fold. First, they don't advertise the return policy (wubb - I think this is WHY they don't post the 2 years!) and secondly, they required a receipt. I figured that cut WAY back on the returns. So, anyway, now I don't feel so bad about returning the portable DVD player - kind of makes up for them not letting us know about the no-receipt thing :D.

Hey OP, are they going to carry iMacs any more? I saw some in there a few weeks ago and then no sign of them last time I was there. I thought about getting one. And I never thought about getting a console there for the return policy. That would be great on something like the Xbox360 or PS3! Of course I'd have to balance that against using store credit at GR or EB from trade-ins (which I already have so no money out of pocket).

You could really abuse the return policy even within the 2 years. For example, a year ago I bought that $1200 HUGE wooden swing set and constructed it in my yard for the kids. If they get tired of it in 10 months, I could disassemble it and return all the parts for a refund :D. More hassle than it's worth for sure, but I'd like to see what happens if someone tried that :rofl:.

Edit - I would LOVE to see what deals are coming up. Because these are often on bulk items I can wait until a deal (or coupon) to pick them up so it is good to know in advance.

Also, just looked up Stupid Prices - the store in OR is not too far from me. I love how they advertize "No Sales Tax". So, do they give us here in OR a special 7% additional discount? :lol: (no sales tax here anyway in case you didn't know).

[quote name='io']I
You could really abuse the return policy even within the 2 years. For example, a year ago I bought that $1200 HUGE wooden swing set and constructed it in my yard for the kids. If they get tired of it in 10 months, I could disassemble it and return all the parts for a refund :D. More hassle than it's worth for sure, but I'd like to see what happens if someone tried that :rofl:.

Edit - I would LOVE to see what deals are coming up. Because these are often on bulk items I can wait until a deal (or coupon) to pick them up so it is good to know in advance.

[/QUOTE]

You know, if you want to talk about odd returns, earlier in the thread we were discussing how they sell caskets...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You know, if you want to talk about odd returns, earlier in the thread we were discussing how they sell caskets...[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Nice post....I like the info. I will seriously consider buying a TV from them when I'm ready to upgrade.

One more thing...if you buy something ONLINE, can you return it in store?

Technically, we could keep getting a new TV every two years...do they test returns?

[quote name='doubledown']
Technically, we could keep getting a new TV every two years...do they test returns?[/QUOTE]
Doesn't have to be defective. If you don't like it within two years, you can return it.

[quote name='io']Hey OP, are they going to carry iMacs any more? I saw some in there a few weeks ago and then no sign of them last time I was there. I thought about getting one. And I never thought about getting a console there for the return policy. That would be great on something like the Xbox360 or PS3! Of course I'd have to balance that against using store credit at GR or EB from trade-ins (which I already have so no money out of pocket).

Also, just looked up Stupid Prices - the store in OR is not too far from me. I love how they advertize "No Sales Tax". So, do they give us here in OR a special 7% additional discount? :lol: (no sales tax here anyway in case you didn't know).[/quote]
As for the receipt thing, you didn't need it, but it's always smarter to have it, as if you return it, they can only see what the last price of the item is and give you that money back, instead of giving the exact money back that you paid for it.

Concerning IMACS, I don't know. I know that my current store carries them currently. I'm sure that it depends on the warehouse that is closest to you and how they are selling through their current computers. The worst you could do is go and ask them, they can check in the computers.

As for the return policy, you certainly aren't the first to think that up. After every summer, we get barbecues and 'summer stuff' returned, after christmas we get decorations returned, and after the superbowl we had a couple tv's and generators (there was a huge storm in the area at the time). Actually you hadn't thought up the more insidious part of the return policy, we sell dvd's, books, magazines, and video games; if, for instance, you get tired of the stuff or finish with it you'd be able to return it for the exact money you paid (pending receipt). In other words, need a quick rental for tonight but low on funds? Costco's your answer.

The current deal is all concerning HP's (I.E. computer stuff) and it starts may 1st; I'll scan it when I get home after work.

Heh, I knew about the no sales tax thing down in Oregon, but I doubt you're going to get anything more off because of it. And as for the pricing that someone else was asking about, they tend to price things about 10% more than normal,and give you the price of half of that. But I was able to get X-men Legends 2 there for $25 about 2-3 weeks after it came out.

[quote name='doubledown']Nice post....I like the info. I will seriously consider buying a TV from them when I'm ready to upgrade.

One more thing...if you buy something ONLINE, can you return it in store?

Technically, we could keep getting a new TV every two years...do they test returns?[/quote]
Yup, you can return it to absolutely any store we have, as well, I'm pretty sure that if you buy from a Canada store you can return it to a united states store as well.

They do not test it right in front of you, it'd be quite hard to do so unless the people are having a slow-ass day and even then they won't do it. They'll likely judge the resaleable condition based on what you said; if you said that you broke it by knocking into it, we'll assume it's broken and not be able to sell it. If it's considered "non-saleable" we give it to our people in the back who package the crud back up and send it either back to the vender, or to Stupid Prices sort of stores. As for getting a new tv every two years, you're more than welcome to do so, I'm going to do that with my current tv, camera, and anything else that they'll inevitably sell something better for cheaper.

And yeah, you can return it for whatever reason, you can say that your cat was allergic to it and really give the people something to laugh about.

[quote name='sonderiaom']As for the receipt thing, you didn't need it, but it's always smarter to have it, as if you return it, they can only see what the last price of the item is and give you that money back, instead of giving the exact money back that you paid for it.

As for getting a new tv every two years, you're more than welcome to do so, I'm going to do that with my current tv, camera, and anything else that they'll inevitably sell something better for cheaper.
[/QUOTE]

Well, given that the camera's film advance mechanism didn't work at all, I would have been glad to get $5 for it instead of the broken piece of junk I have now :D.

And I'm surprised they let employees take advantage of the returns - you wouldn't get in trouble for this?

I bought my HDTV from CC - I'll have to think about getting the next one at Costco. Their selection is SO much better now than it was 2 1/2 years ago as well. Only problem is trying to get it home :D. CC delivered it for me. But hell, if I got that damn swingset into the van, I could probably handle a TV :D. I'm hoping Costco soon carries a really good projection/screen combo (they have one now but it is only EDTV I think - 480p that is). We're thinking of converting one room to a movie room (though I'm sure I'll end up playing games on it - imagine the PS3 (or Revo even) on a 100" projection screen.

[quote name='sonderiaom']No, that's not a very stupid question. It's actually pretty smart as we do sometimes restock some items. If an item is returned in perfect order, the person simply didn't want it anymore, than we put it back on the shelf. If something is visibly used, than we simply return it to vendor and get a percentage back on what we paid for it. An interesting note on this is that if you ever return flowers, we get 100% back what we paid for them.

Naw, don't worry about any original packaging, it's not needed whatsoever. You don't even need the instructions. However you do need all the useful componants such as the remote control, adapters, plugins, etc. In fact, when our warehouse first opened, I'd heard of some people trying to return items from other stores to us.[/QUOTE]

The issue I have with this is buying something packaged as new when it's actually used. Also how can this even be feasible with items in general when you're talking about an electronics product the warranty is from the date the person buys the new product.
Well I have to say I'm comforted to think if I ever buy the average game there most are factory sealed except for the GBA games.
Has Coscto thought about selling the CE's of games for like $25 off standard price. I know I'd jump at Oblivion CE being sold at $45 or $50 new(only except for Oblivion CE and a few other games).

[quote name='Sarang01']The issue I have with this is buying something packaged as new when it's actually used. Also how can this even be feasible with items in general when you're talking about an electronics product the warranty is from the date the person buys the new product.
Well I have to say I'm comforted to think if I ever buy the average game there most are factory sealed except for the GBA games.
Has Coscto thought about selling the CE's of games for like $25 off standard price. I know I'd jump at Oblivion CE being sold at $45 or $50 new(only except for Oblivion CE and a few other games).[/quote]

Hmm, I must have not clarified correctly. For Costco the things that we put back on the shelves were not used whatsoever. The things we put as saleable are in complete packaging with nothing different than when we had sold it in the first place. Usually it's a gift that someone gives someone else and that person either didn't want it or already had it.

Stupid Prices is a different entity completely. They have no warranty whatsoever but is at a fraction of the original price.

As for selling it for that much off; we already sell it for as cheap as we're allowed to. We only put 15% more at max of what we get it for. In any case, you have two years to decide if you like it or not. As well, within those two years, if the price goes down AT COSTCO, you can bring it back and have the difference in prices, so long as you have the receipt for the original purchase.

[quote name='sonderiaom']As well, within those two years, if the price goes down AT COSTCO, you can bring it back and have the difference in prices, so long as you have the receipt for the original purchase.[/QUOTE]

Is there a limit to how many times you can do that? We bought a TV last year, a few months later it dropped $20 so we got $20 back. Then it dropped again another $20 or $30 and we tried to get that back as well and they said they only will give a price adjustment once.

About the return thing.
I recently bought a TV there, their return policy vs the $400.00 warranty from other places, is actually the reason I bought a membership.

Several times before I became a member, and several times after membership before I finally bought my TV, I asked from 2 stores, and emailed costco.com about returns if defective.

They all told me that there was no time frame on their return policy, except on computers. I even gave the logic of retail warranty of 4 years vs their "as long as I am a member" policy. They all said, "if it breaks, bring it back". When I asked how long, they all stated again, "if it breaks, bring it back."

Not doubting you, just stating my experiences with them.

I guess I'll find out if the thing breaks after a few years. I don't feel I'm cheating them or taking advantage, since I explained the reason I was purchasing from them instead of BB, Sears, or CC, and two B&M stores even stated it didn't make sense to buy the 4 year from the retail store instead of them where "you don't need an extended warranty".

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Is there a limit to how many times you can do that? We bought a TV last year, a few months later it dropped $20 so we got $20 back. Then it dropped again another $20 or $30 and we tried to get that back as well and they said they only will give a price adjustment once.[/quote]

As far as I know, you should be able to do it so long as there is a price difference. If they give you any trouble, a simple way around it, is to return it, then buy it back at the cheaper price.

[quote name='howlinmad']About the return thing.
I recently bought a TV there, their return policy vs the $400.00 warranty from other places, is actually the reason I bought a membership.

Several times before I became a member, and several times after membership before I finally bought my TV, I asked from 2 stores, and emailed costco.com about returns if defective.

They all told me that there was no time frame on their return policy, except on computers. I even gave the logic of retail warranty of 4 years vs their "as long as I am a member" policy. They all said, "if it breaks, bring it back". When I asked how long, they all stated again, "if it breaks, bring it back."

Not doubting you, just stating my experiences with them.

I guess I'll find out if the thing breaks after a few years. I don't feel I'm cheating them or taking advantage, since I explained the reason I was purchasing from them instead of BB, Sears, or CC, and two B&M stores even stated it didn't make sense to buy the 4 year from the retail store instead of them where "you don't need an extended warranty".[/quote]

That's the thing, on all the signs themselves, there is absolutely no mention of a timeframe. However, at my store, I have witnessed an account of a kid trying to bring back his PS2 8 days after it having been 2 years since he'd bought it. He had said it had a DRE and I had to convince the manager at the time to do an override as it was a common thing for PS2s and that I was amazed it hadn't happened sooner.

In any case, it could be highly different at your local stores as I know my store got burned bad by our lax return policy. I just feel safer in any case to get new hardware after a period of two years.

[quote name='sonderiaom']As far as I know, you should be able to do it so long as there is a price difference. If they give you any trouble, a simple way around it, is to return it, then buy it back at the cheaper price.

That's the thing, on all the signs themselves, there is absolutely no mention of a timeframe. However, at my store, I have witnessed an account of a kid trying to bring back his PS2 8 days after it having been 2 years since he'd bought it. He had said it had a DRE and I had to convince the manager at the time to do an override as it was a common thing for PS2s and that I was amazed it hadn't happened sooner.

In any case, it could be highly different at your local stores as I know my store got burned bad by our lax return policy. I just feel safer in any case to get new hardware after a period of two years.[/QUOTE]

I suspect it will change eventually. That said, I kinda see a game console as a bit different. It's alot more trouble for someone to bring back a 100 lb tv + 100 lb stand, than a console.
Noone would ever pay full price for a next gen console, with how easy that would be. I know also, the same applies to TV technology, but it's still a bigger pain in the butt to haul the bigger things back than the smaller.

I hope those of us who try to do things honestly when things break, don't get screwed by the scumbags trying to get a free next gen console upgrade or somesuch.

Great thread, sorry I missed it the first time. I'm going to buy every system at Costco from now on.

Good thread sonderiaom, but if I may add my own two cents (as a four year costco employee myself).

As far as the two year return policy limit, that may just be a decision by the warehouse manager made by themselves. I have returned my original xbox over 3 years past purchase date with original receipt with no problems at the Eugene, Oregon store after having purchased it in Yakima, Washington. My old warehouse didn't have a problem, others might. It is best to take it with a grain of salt, and do remember, keep the receipt and all the accessories that came with the purchase, boxes do not matter as much, but they help. But make sure to include instructions, install cd's, etc.

As far as maximum markup, when we last had Costco U (which is usually a biannual training seminar) Jim Sinegal (the CEO) said that Costco's highest markup is 11%, and most things are lower than that. That is why new video games are usually only five dollars lower than retail price, because the markup on those things is so slim anyways.

Oh, and if you guys take any prescription drugs, check with Costco for their prices, especially if you are taking a generic drug. For example, generic Prozac (fluoxetine) runs about 40 dollars a month at a Rite Aid Pharmacy, and three months of the same medicine costs about 10 dollars at Costco (this is for 20mg strength). The reason behind this is the markup on generic drugs. Brand name drugs (i.e. Lipitor, Effexor, Zocor, Celebrex, Allegra, etc.) have a very small markup, usually five dollars or so above the actual drug cost. Generic drugs are where pharmacies make their money. While Walgreens or CVS purchase their generic drugs for the same cost as we do (for example, the generic Prozac I quoted above is purchased for about $2.50 per 100 count bottle), they have a much higher price, and as a result, make a much higher profit. As you can see though, the pharmacy is the one area of the store that does not adhere to the 11% markup that the rest of the warehouse does, but remember, they have to pay for the pharmacists, who are the highest paid employees in the warehouse, with the exception of the warehouse manager.

I'll post a few more thoughts later. Hope you all enjoy this.

[quote name='Archgarth']Good thread sonderiaom, but if I may add my own two cents (as a four year costco employee myself).

I'll post a few more thoughts later. Hope you all enjoy this.[/quote]
It's always good to encounter a fellow employee.

As for the return policy, that was just on my own werehouse, I was aware that there are other werehouses with longer return polices, but I figure that if I put a shorter time, then people would adhere to that and be under most of their policies.

And I put all your comments in the Original Post to make it more accesable.

[quote name='sonderiaom']It's always good to encounter a fellow employee.

As for the return policy, that was just on my own werehouse, I was aware that there are other werehouses with longer return polices, but I figure that if I put a shorter time, then people would adhere to that and be under most of their policies.

And I put all your comments in the Original Post to make it more accesable.[/QUOTE]

Grazie, and thank you.

they have to pay for the pharmacists, who are the highest paid employees in the warehouse, with the exception of the warehouse manager.

More likely the pharmacists make a lot more. I was a pharmacy tech for a few years (Rite Aid, CVS) and the phamacists make well over $100k a year.

[quote name='locutus411']Does anyone here know if Costco will be stocking the DS Lite on release or if it will be packaged in a bundle?[/quote]

I saw entries for DS Lite in the computer, but none of the three were set up for my werehouse so I couldn't get any info for it. Maybe Archgarth has it set up in his computer and can give info.

[quote name='sonderiaom']I saw entries for DS Lite in the computer, but none of the three were set up for my werehouse so I couldn't get any info for it. Maybe Archgarth has it set up in his computer and can give info.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. If either of you hear anything else, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know. I assume it will be part of a bundle and I'm especially interested to know what they are bundling it with.

[quote name='locutus411']We are two days from release. Any word on bundles?[/quote]

There are currently two bundles in the computer.

179005 which is the normal version I assume and
114585 which says "Puzzle bundle"

there were three more items that showed up, but they had no relevant information. Since none of those were set up for my werehouse, all I could see was this information. You could however use these two numbers to check at the werehouse nearest to you.

Thanks Sonderiaom. My Costco looked up those items but didn't find them in the computer. However, they did find an entry for a DS Lite. They said it was $165 but didn't have any information about what was included.

bread's done
Back