The dark side of longevity in Japan: Retired Husband Syndrome (RHS)

RBM

CAGiversary!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/16/AR2005101601145.html

Sick of Their Husbands in Graying Japan

Stress Disorder Diagnosed in Many Women After Spouses Retire

By Anthony Faiola
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, October 17, 2005; Page A01

TOKYO -- Sakura Terakawa, 63, describes her four decades of married life in a small urban apartment as a gradual transition from wife to mother to servant. Communication with her husband started with love letters and wooing words under pink cherry blossoms. It devolved over time, she said, into mostly demands for his evening meals and nitpicking over the quality of her housework.

So when he came home one afternoon three years ago, beaming, and announced he was ready to retire, Terakawa despaired.

" 'This is it,' I remember thinking. 'I am going to have to divorce him now,' " Terakawa recalled. "It was bad enough that I had to wait on him when he came home from work. But having him around the house all the time was more than I could possibly bear."

Concerned about her financial future if she divorced, Terakawa stuck with their marriage -- only to become one of an extraordinary number of elderly Japanese women stricken with a disorder that experts here have recently begun diagnosing as retired husband syndrome, or RHS.
Feeling chained to the tradition of older women remaining utterly dedicated to their husbands' well-being, Terakawa said, she devoted herself to her spouse. Retirement cut him off from his longtime office social network, leaving him virtually friendless and her with the strain of filling his empty time. Within a few weeks, she said, he was hardly leaving the house, watching television and reading the newspaper -- and barking orders at her. He often forbade her to go out with her friends. When he did let her go, Terakawa said, she had to prepare all his meals before leaving.

After several months, she developed stomach ulcers, her speech began to slur and rashes broke out around her eyes. When doctors discovered polyps in her throat but could find no medical reason for her sudden burst of ailments, she was referred to a psychiatrist who diagnosed stress-related RHS.

Terakawa began receiving therapy from Nobuo Kurokawa, a physician who is one of Japan's leading RHS experts. Kurokawa coined the term retired husband syndrome in a presentation to the Japanese Society of Psychosomatic Medicine in 1991, leading to its use in books, journals and mainstream media here. Confirming Terakawa's account in an interview, Kurokawa said he offered her the same advice he has given numerous other older women in the same position.

"Come to therapy," he said. "Then spend as much time as possible away from your husband."
Ahhh, the Golden Years of retirement, when a traditional Japanese wife can finally enjoy a life of peace and agony with a husband she can't stand the sight of.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']Poor Mrs. Cheapy.[/QUOTE]
...I know you were kidding, but they have gone on the record to say that this sort of thing is why some of them prefer to look abroad for a mate (or simply not to wed at all.)

This is to be expected given just how separate the lives of husbands and wives in Japan are.

Although, there could be a joke made about the corollary to this: Ugly-ass old wife syndrome.

She should get out the whip and make him do all the housework. If that doesn't work, get kinky. Tie him up during sex and drop him off in a public place, nude, as a warning not to mess with her.

Tradition can be a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, most stateside wives commonly tell their husbands to "do it your damn self" in response to barked orders. The woman interviewed in the article stated that she had considered divorce, so at least she's not entirely brainwashed. :D

bread's done
Back