The day the music died: how Best Buy fried my iPod.

Cmosfm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Everyone loves Best Buy stories, and I figured my story was good enough to share.

I got a new car a few months ago, a 2002 Camry, an upgrade from my shitty 1997 Mustang that was on it's last leg. I used my iPod religiously in my car, I had it running through a couple auxiliary jacks on the back my CD player. When I got my new car I decided I wanted to keep the factory stereo in it, it's a 6 disc in-dash CD changer, and I'm just not big on the whole "flashy" thing anymore so this was great for me.

Well, I decided I needed something to hook my iPod to this stereo, because the cassette tape adapter just wasn't cutting it. I went to a few stereo places around town and they all recommended the iSimple by Peripheral:

http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-iS...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205303007&sr=8-1

It was a simple box that had one end plugging into your factory stereo and one end into the bottom of your iPod. It charges it and gives you simple crystal clear sound and you can control it through your factory stereo. PERFECT!

Now, before I continue, it's worth noting that my iPod was a black 30GB iPod Video. I won it off a few tries on the "Flamin' Finger" redemption game by Namco at a local arcade. That's all, back to the story...

So every place I check tells me 180-200 installed. Eh, that's a lot, but I check Best Buy and they tell me 161.00 installed...reasonable...I opt for that. *cue classic rock montage background music* I make an appointment, pay for it, take my car over, leave it, come back, installer shows me how it works, head home. *end montage*

Now, I get home for the night, leave my iPod in the glove compartment locked since I don't have a reason to take it out anymore. I wake up in the morning and I get ready to head out, get to the car, pull the iPod out of the glove compartment to change tracks and it's hot, really hot...and it smells. It's burning. shit. I pull the case off and there is a melted circular mark on the iPod on the right side of the click wheel that's about a centimeter in size.

fuck

The first thing that goes through my head is "Best Buy is going to pay for this". Then reality hits, they aren't going to do jack, they are going to say that they aren't responsible for this, they can take the equipment out of the car and refund the money for that, but that's all, blah blah blah. Oh, the iPod still worked though, this is worth noting for later. I tell my Fiancee what happened, and call a few friends, they all agree...I'm screwed. Dammit. I knew I was but that wasn't going to stop me from going to Best Buy completely prepared to make the biggest scene of my life it I had to.

I get to the store with the iSimple box and my iPod in hand. I head over to Customer Service and explain what happened. The woman running the register realized immediately that this is out of her hands and calls over a manager. I explain it to him, he looks at the iPod, and another manager does as well, and asks several questions. Basic ones such as "when did you get it installed, blah blah. He also asks if I bought the iPod there, and that's the only thing I lied about, which I said it was a gift so I'm not sure where it came from. I can't very well say "no I won it out of a machine" can I? lol. Anyway, eventually he says that there is no way this equipment could have done this to my iPod. I explain that I've charged this through USB, wall adapter and my iHome hundreds of times, and in the matter of a few hours my iPod melts while on the equipment your employees installed and that they should have regulated the amount of power going to the iPod. He says they've installed hundreds and this has never happened, I say it must be a defective unit, he briefly mentions that if it's defective than Peripheral would be responsible for my iPod, not Best Buy. As soon as he says that though he tells me to hold on and he'll see what he can do.

5, 10, 15 minutes pass...I'm anxious...worried...what's going to happen? I know for a fact that they are going to come back and say "sorry, screw you, call Peripheral." I mean, this is Best Buy, they are known for this crap.

He comes back with a piece of paper and says "ok, here's what we can do. We don't sell this particular iPod anymore, but the last price we sold it at was 229.99. The equivalent we have in stock is the 80GB iPod Classic, which is 249.99. We can give you 229.99 in credit but you'd have to pay the difference." Shocking. Either way, I ask if he can swap it out even since I wouldn't have to put any money into it if this didn't happen, and he said that he couldn't and it's the best they will allow. I figure that I may as well take it, because it's MUCH more than I expected. He tells me he wants me to take my car back to installation and have them check for frayed wires or anything before I get the new one. So I agree.

I pull my car through the store and I take a left at the DVD cases...no seriously...I pull my car around back and the installer comes out to look at it. He initially has an attitude of "there's nothing wrong but I'm going to humor you anyway", which irks me, but he hooks my burned iPod up and it does play fine. He wiggles the wire stupidly and it gives off a little static. He mentions trying his iPod on it, but doesn't, and then he eventually says "I guess it's fine". I say that the static isn't normal, and that he should get his iPod out and try it. He does, hooks it up in my car, and it plays fine but when he wiggles the cord it gives off static still. He lets the cord hang loose, says it's fine, and tells me to go back up front and get the new iPod and try again.

I head back up front and the manager meets me, he says that he had an open box 80GB iPod Classic and that it was new, just opened, and he was going to swap me out even. Score! I do that and then he says he wants to install a new cord in my car since there was some static, and to refrain from hooking the iPod up until they do that, which they'd be getting some in stock in a few days. No biggie, but I did mention to him that I wanted to go back to installation because I noticed that the mounting brackets weren't in my iSimple box and that I'd like to get them. He agrees, and I do.

Well, I get back there, and the guy says "I'm going to set you up for a brand new install, that unit of your is defective, I just checked my iPod and it's fried too." Ha! Told you I wasn't lying! So he sets me up for a new install later that day. I leave it, they have it for a couple hours, and then he calls me back and says "Hey, we're going to have to take this out, the new unit fried another ipod, but we're going to give you a full refund".

And that's that, I get a full refund. It kinda sucks because I really wanted this in my car. Now I'm back to the tape deck adapter, may sound kinda rough, but hey, I turned my free 30GB iPod Video into a 80GB iPod Classic! Also, I do have a new found respect for my Best Buy, they may have dicked me over in the past, but they handled this one very well.

Also, sorry for the long read, but I felt it was worth telling this story.

I liked this story. It was long enough and kept my attention for me to keep reading. I'm wondering if this is a new issue for the product at Best Buy. Sounds like either your car or the actual item is ruining ipods.

The ending was good, not bad at all.

[quote name='thelazyone22']Does this fall under the frowned upon "return fraud" label?[/quote]

::rolls eyes::

jesus christ why does someone always have to come up with some shit like this, call them a whiner, bring up some kind of flaw in the story, etc...

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']::rolls eyes::

jesus christ why does someone always have to come up with some shit like this, call them a whiner, bring up some kind of flaw in the story, etc...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for some reason lots of people really love to poke holes in stories until they find a flaw and start bitching at the OP for it.

Anyway, no, it's not "return fraud". I never told them where it came from, I only said it was a gift. And if you want to get technical...it actually was...from the machine. ;)

Seriously though, I did tell them at one point or another that I'd like the equipment in my car fixed and that I'd like my iPod replaced.

Return fraud? Please.

It must've been "the unit" reacting with your Camry. Like you say, this unit does have high ratings across the board, I don't see this being the Best Buy installers problem.. I'm sure he's installed plenty of these in the past. Great story. At least you got a newer free ipod out of your already free ipod. I love that flaming fingers game. haha.

Cya.

[quote name='thePhildown']It must've been "the unit" reacting with your Camry. Like you say, this unit does have high ratings across the board, I don't see this being the Best Buy installers problem.. I'm sure he's installed plenty of these in the past. Great story. At least you got a newer free ipod out of your already free ipod. I love that flaming fingers game. haha.

Cya.[/QUOTE]

They honestly couldn't figure it out, they said that the only possible cause for the problem was the 6 disc cd changer in the dash, and even then that was just an educated guess.

Good story! I agree with Salogy that it was one of the few longer stories that actually held my attention. Thanks for sharing.

Kudos to Best Buy for doing the right thing. As you said yourself, they were under no obligation to really do anything, but they did fix the problem they caused for you and that is commendable. As much energy as people expend complaining when some retailer leaves them high and dry, we ought to give thanks to those that do show that customer service does still exist. I'm not saying Best Buy is perfect, but in this case, with this manager, they did something right.

I sat there for a minute after reading your story trying to figure out how Best Buy had screwed you over. Then I realized that this was actually a story with a good ending (all things considered). Reading a positive customer service story on the internet? Rare. Hearing a positive story about Best Buy customer service? Double rare. Reading a positive story on the internet about Best Buy customer service? Impossible! Such a thing cannot exist.

the manager should win manager of the year so far. this is how CS should be. i dont have an in-dash setup for my ipod, nor i would like to try. its too much and i dont have the time to install it. i use an fm transmitter though.

i used to have a belkin transmitter but the wire broke. then i bought an iTrip, it started to get loose and the frequency was static most the time but then eventually i lost it and didnt want to bother buying it again. then i bought one of those fm transmitters from target for $10 bucks and it works like a charm. sometimes the cheapest gadgets are the best kind. like your tape deck adapter.

[quote name='thelazyone22']Does this fall under the frowned upon "return fraud" label?[/QUOTE]
No. It's because it really didn't matter at all where he bought it. It appeared that the manager agreed that the store was at fault (bad installation). Sometimes installers break things, and they must have some kind of insurance when that happens.
For instance, what if they had fried your factory CD player? Of course you didn't get it at BB, but they would be responsible for replacing it.

It was likely the fault of the adapter piece and not the installer himself, so it was not BB's responsibility. In fact if you look in the manual for the iSimple, it probably says that the company is not responsible for damage to iPods.
It wasn't BB's responsibility to replace your iPod, and iSimple would have told you where to stick it. You just got lucky by getting a good manager who actually gives a fuck.

[quote name='thelazyone22']Does this fall under the frowned upon "return fraud" label?[/quote]

:roll::roll::roll::roll:No

Hurray for you Op! and :applause: for Best Buy. I have had nothing but good to better than average dealings with Best Buy (3 different stores). It's my electronics retailer of choice.

I actually liked this read because of the positive outcome. Glad to read something different nowadays. Enjoy your music.

Hm... one thing though.. since your previous, 30 gig ipod was fried, does that mean all your music is gone? (I know it still worked, but since you got the units switched out..).. :3 It would suck if you don't still have all the music to back it up... ?

[quote name='sailorchrono']Hm... one thing though.. since your previous, 30 gig ipod was fried, does that mean all your music is gone? (I know it still worked, but since you got the units switched out..).. :3 It would suck if you don't still have all the music to back it up... ?[/QUOTE]

It's all on my iTunes, all you do is plug in the new ipod and it will transfer all of your music to the new one.

What the fuck? I read all that only to come to a happy ending... :p

Congrats on not getting screwed OP! You're damn lucky consider all the horror stories I heard about BB.

bread's done
Back