The Definitive List of Great, Obscure Super Nintendo Games

DigitalSpace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Vanilla Gorilla's thread about great, obscure NES games inspired me to start one for Super NES games. Here's my picks:

Actraiser
Biker Mice From Mars
Claymates
Demon's Crest
Dino City
On The Ball
Robotrek
Rock N Roll Racing
Space Megaforce
Spanky's Quest
Stunt Race FX
Super Baseball 2020
Super Pinball: Behind The Mask
The Twisted Tales Of Spike McFang
Uniracers

I don't know if Actraiser or Demon's Crest really fits in with this list. Both did well, Demon's Crest more so since it was a spin off of Ghouls n Ghosts. Though what I would add would have to be Arcana made by HAI. Really great RPG, strong plot, really good chars. I really love this game, though I hardly ever, if at all hear anyone even bring it up.

Uniracers is the most underrated game of all-time. The depth and skill it takes to play that still astounds me to this day. The multiplayer is awesome and has some really really great nailbiting finishes if you are playing against someone with some skills.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Uniracers is the most underrated game of all-time. The depth and skill it takes to play that still astounds me to this day. The multiplayer is awesome and has some really really great nailbiting finishes if you are playing against someone with some skills.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Uniracers along with FF3 are pretty much the only reasons I still have my SNES.

My list:
Uniracers
NBA Jam T.E.
Fighter's History (Nice SF2 clone)

All I can think of from my crappy SNES collection.

Mmm...

Drakken (although this might just be me, and even I never managed to finish it)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Can't think of more offhand.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Phantom 2040 (I love this game but it still shouldn't be $19.99 on ebgames)[/QUOTE]

I lucked out today and found it labeled at 3.99 for some reason, picked it up and it seems like a really strange game. Course I was never a fan of the cartoon. But if anyones interested in it I'll check lists cause I have plenty of games to play so I wouldn't mind hooking a CAG up for a trade.

is this list for great games, obscure games or great snes games that were/remain obscure?

as mentioned, new horizons is a great game that remains obscure, actraiser is a good game that would not be considered obscure, same for mystical ninja

an obscure game is one a lot of people on this board either had not heard about back in the snes days, or just never paid it any attention because it got lost in the shuffle of other great games.

Earth Defense Force is a pretty cool side-scrolling shooter that is pretty hard, too. I've never met another person that's owned the game, let alone even played it.

Rock and Roll Racing was awesome, but I doubt its all that rare. I used to have it and know a couple people who still do. My friend has Earth Defense Force, I've never played it I just always see it sitting in his box of old games every time I'm at his house.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Earth Defense Force is a pretty cool side-scrolling shooter that is pretty hard, too. I've never met another person that's owned the game, let alone even played it.[/QUOTE]

EDF

OH SHIT!!!

I rented that game, and could never remember it's title as I got older. That is an excellent game!

a game i thought was wierd but cool was Xacalibur 2020 or was it 2090? anyway a great side scroller but with the wierdest bosses e.g. the midget gangsta you have to battle at stage 3..i was too wierded out after that...

ackman 1,2(6/10),3 (7/10) funny stable good stuff (platformer)
Super Maze Song aka Magical symphonkey something (7/10) (hudson platformer)
Bs shibubuman zero (6.7/10) 2 player very nice but kinda short
Out to lunch (puzzle 6/10)
Troll Island (beat em up) not to terrible actually quite decent (6.4/10)
super double dragon (8/10) very good/ graphics decent
skyblazer (6/10) alright
run saber (7/10) nice
umi kwara ha we se (puzzle 6/10 ps1 version was better but still pretty niffty)
ghost chaser resei (fecking amazing start a fire in your panties stuff better than the arcade version imo, 8/10 beat em up)
super Bonk, super bonk 2 (alright but nothing special maybe just not my style 6/10)
super Hammering harry (fecking cool 7/10)
piper of hammelyn (enix alright got boring after a while 6.5/10 but still cool)
setatai rangers (6.6/10) banpresto fine
nitro punk heads (6.5) cool
super ninja kid (6.5) I like it
Mr nutz (5.1/10) Evil game from the fiery pits of hell but for some reason I like recommending it? stupid hay?)

and I know it's genny but I'm just going to say the misadventures of flink because I can so pfft

We are talking SNES not SFAM. For example Ogre battle and lufia have not been mentioned yet. I also enjoyed Hook very much. It was the only SNES game I could beat in under an hour consistantly.

SFAM is the same..the japanese library is prob even more wierd than the us releases..i remember playing a monoply type game involving trains...Tokyo is the map and you can stop on spaces to buy property...the game is whoever generates the most profit at the end of # years wins the game...i thought it was wierd because there is this devil kabuki looking guy that follows you and rapes you of all your money..,,he would even go as far to sell your property without your concent...fun but wierd.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Phantom 2040 (I love this game but it still shouldn't be $19.99 on ebgames)
Shadowrun
Weaponlord
Ignition Factor[/QUOTE]

i have Phantom 2040, i ahvent really played it, got it from a friend. Looks sharrty though.........

[quote name='rarebucky']No one mentioned Hagane! AWESOME ninja game![/QUOTE]

I was just about to mention that one but then you did! I was just reading about this today in a classic issue of GameFan and it looked amazing! I don't recall seeing it at all recently for sale anywhere - this was released in the US, right?

I bought new horizons uncharted waters for 5 bucks from eb. It took about 15 minutes to get it to work. Every time I almost gave up hope a real image would flicker on screen, so I kept blowing, resetting, blowing etc. eventually worked. Never seen another, so I figured for 5 bucks might as well keep it, even if it has a high chance of completely dying some day soon.

Though we need more lufia, lufia is the god of video games.

Not sure if it counts as "obscure" but I loved Kirby's Dream Course. Had my dad rent it from BlockBuster one time and my sibs and I had a blast playing it. It's sort of like mini golf, but you can do all these weird curve shots and jump shots and stuff. And there's all sorts of power-ups Kirby can roll over and use plus a bunch of obstacles and switches and stuff. Two-player mode gets pretty feirce because of all the strategy you can use; you can go straight for the hole or you can stick around and just try to steal points and screw with your opponent the whole match. I love that game; luckily I was able to buy it used when that BlockBuster got rid of all its SNES titles. I think it's actually sitting in my SNES at home this very moment. The game has never been re-done on any other console, so that's one that always brings me back to the good ol' Super Ninetndo.

[quote name='Josef']I was just about to mention that one but then you did! I was just reading about this today in a classic issue of GameFan and it looked amazing! I don't recall seeing it at all recently for sale anywhere - this was released in the US, right?[/QUOTE]

It sure was. I have here in front of me :) It is quite an underrated game, and it plays very smoothly, much like Shinobi. I don't think many people have playedit. On a side note - I have the SFC version for sale if anyone is interested.

Bumping this for newer members or those who missed it the first time around (as well as to keep it from getting deleted in the upcoming forum pruning).

Also, I'm throwing in a few more I've tried out since my original post:

Cacoma Knight In Bizyland (Qix clone)
Firepower 2000
Prehistorik Man
Realm
SimAnt
Soldiers Of Fortune
Spectre
U.N. Squadron

Lots of great games listed already, but I'll add one of my favorites.

S.O.S.

Very interesting game design for it's time, and different selectable characters started at different points in the ship, which tilts at different angles during different times. You have the option of helping people or just running like hell for the exits. Great idea that could be updated well in 3D, I think.

Final Fight 2 and 3 are pretty obscure... most people don't know they kept going after part 1.

I'm playing through Final Fight 3 right now and it's awesome.

Firepower 2000 and U.N. Squadron were quite fun. I spent many hours with U.N. Squadron, in particular.

I would also like to suggest Demon's Crest. I managed to get a copy of this recently and was blown away by the awesome visuals and great play.

bread's done
Back