The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

It's a pretty good card overall. Did anybody else get the bonus 500 points for Sony Card Members today. The 500 points were automatically put in my account today and it says the points expire April 2010 but it's a nice free gift. I'll just make sure I spend them in the next couple weeks.

Sony Rewards Member Appreciation 0210
Anyone else notice the 500 points that expire on 04/26/2010 deposited in their accounts?

One question, since these points expire in one months time, lets say I purchase a cheap gift card for 1000 points. Will they use these points before all the other points I already have that expire in 5 years? I would hate to buy something I didn't necessarily need and find out they didn't use these points first.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Sony Rewards Member Appreciation 0210
Anyone else notice the 500 points that expire on 04/26/2010 deposited in their accounts?

One question, since these points expire in one months time, lets say I purchase a cheap gift card for 1000 points. Will they use these points before all the other points I already have that expire in 5 years? I would hate to buy something I didn't necessarily need and find out they didn't use these points first.[/QUOTE]

Haha. I thought it was strange how I was nearing another PSN Card after redeeming one recently. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for points usage, it's FIFO method: First In First Out. No need to fret.

[quote name='evergoo']Haha. I thought it was strange how I was nearing another PSN Card after redeeming one recently. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for points usage, it's FIFO method: First In First Out. No need to fret.[/QUOTE]
FIFO? Guess I don't quite understand that. If it is first in first out, wouldn't that mean that the points I have earned previous to this would be used before these points are?

[quote name='lllGurulll']FIFO? Guess I don't quite understand that. If it is first in first out, wouldn't that mean that the points I have earned previous to this would be used before these points are?[/QUOTE]

Sony will use the points with the earliest expiration date.
Generally, it is FIFO but the free 500 points have a super short expiration date (a few months vs a few years) and will automatically jumped to the front of the line (assuming you don't have some really OLD points from way back that have an even earlier expiration date).

[quote name='wbc1228']Sony will use the points with the earliest expiration date.
Generally, it is FIFO but the free 500 points have a super short expiration date (a few months vs a few years) and will automatically jumped to the front of the line (assuming you don't have some really OLD points from way back that have an even earlier expiration date).[/QUOTE]I was hoping that was the case. Thanks. PSN card here we come. heh

Wow, I thought you were probably noticing your 500 points are returned from the daily giveaway... But I just checked and it's true, another $5 for nothing, LOL. How the hell can they just keep giving away money? Not only do they make it easy to get free points, they encourage you to go to the rewards site and get them... Well, anyway, I hope they don't change this anytime soon. I guess since you can only buy Sony stuff, they get their money back in the long run anyway.

I got the free 500 points too. Thanks for the heads up. Almost to 20,000 now. I should be getting my 2500 for spending at least 1500 sometime next month. But I better get a PSN card and spend these free 500.

Man, I had no idea they added Jeopardy and those tons of extra points every week. I need to get back on this. I stopped doing it when I ran out of things I wanted to buy on PSN, but they've added a ton of stuff I want recently. I just got enough points for a new $10 PSN card... time to buy Grandia! Thanks all for keeping this thread bumped and updated... I never would have clicked on it otherwise. I can only imagine how much PSN money I'd have if I had kept at this. :)

[quote name='simmias']Man, I had no idea they added Jeopardy and those tons of extra points every week. I need to get back on this. I stopped doing it when I ran out of things I wanted to buy on PSN, but they've added a ton of stuff I want recently. I just got enough points for a new $10 PSN card... time to buy Grandia! Thanks all for keeping this thread bumped and updated... I never would have clicked on it otherwise. I can only imagine how much PSN money I'd have if I had kept at this. :)[/QUOTE]

Can I ask where you are seeing these $10 PSN cards? I've searched the Rewards section thoroughly and I must be missing something... :whistle2:?

[quote name='fester']Can I ask where you are seeing these $10 PSN cards? I've searched the Rewards section thoroughly and I must be missing something... :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

You must be a card holder to see the Insider Rewards section.

As long as your account is in good standing, you'll receive the 500 points according to the email:

* To be eligible to receive the 500 Card Member Appreciation Points (Bonus Points) credit to your Sony Card/PlayStation® Card, your account must be open and in good standing. Only one 500 Card Member Appreciation Points bonus will be credited per eligible Sony Card/ PlayStation Card account. Bonus Points expire 11:59:59 PM ET on April 26, 2010.

I got the email.

Anyone know how often the PS3 games are updated in the Redeem section? I have just about enough for a new PS3 game, but there is really nothing that interests me.

[quote name='horns456']I got the email.

Anyone know how often the PS3 games are updated in the Redeem section? I have just about enough for a new PS3 game, but there is really nothing that interests me.[/QUOTE]

It's rarely updted, and never anything new from what I've seen. It's too bad too, I'd definitely get new games from them if they had them.

Just redeemed MW2 Hardened Edition two days before I received this 500 points :(
Will probably use it for FFXIII. I hope it works for purchase credit.

The PS3 games are mostly 2008 games and later. I guess I could get something worth while and trade it on here for something I'd like more. I guess the points retain their value pretty well.

Also thinking about the PS3 chatpad, I could use that.

[quote name='decon']You must be a card holder to see the Insider Rewards section.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that explains it.

Hmm, do I really want another CC just for Sony rewards...

The only thing I buy off of the Rewards site are PSN cards. Otherwise, I buy from Amazon/Gamestop and send in the credit form to cash in my reward points. I did get Killzone 2 though off of the rewards site.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ndmaynard']For PSN cards, Go to Redeem > Insider Specials > Playstation

Hope that helps[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I was lookin everywhere on the site. Apparently you can't see it until you login, haha.

I applied for this card and got a denial letter in the mail which gave the following reason:

"Anticipated account related expenses likely to exceed expected revenue".

So if you're TOO responsible, you can't have the card. I joked with my wife we should go to Vegas and spend all our money on drugs so that Chase Bank would approve of our lifestyle.

Well it is a business. Can't hate on companies for trying to make money.

I actually applies for this card way back when they did the sign up and get a $150 credit. I haven't used the card since my original purchase and have accrued more than $300 in rewards from this. I think the only reason it might still be open is because I have my checking account and Freedom card with them. BTW If you're already a Chase checking member you should seriously consider signing up for their freedom card. The 3% bonuses are really nice.

[quote name='DV8']Well it is a business. Can't hate on companies for trying to make money.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe not, but I can hate on them for only offering rewards to lure people who make bad fiscal decisions and discriminating againist those who use credit responsibly.

@Sideswiper,

Do you use your other credit cards a lot? I pay as many bills as I can with my credit cards (to rack up the reward points), and I only use credit cards when I go out to eat or go to the store (almost never use debit cards or cash). I also pay all of my CC bills completely off every single month... so they're still getting the 3%-4%. But that's before the gov't enacted the new CC rules that just went into effect, so maybe you're one of the 1st causalities to the new legislation...

One card I use a lot, the others not so much (mainly use them just when I can't use American Express). I rarely use debit, cash, or checks.

I was actually planning to use this card a lot but, oh well!

I have zero credit history and I know without even trying I'd be denied if I applied for this card. Is there any way to co-sign with somebody so I can get one of these?

First off, it doesn't really hurt to apply. If they deny you then you can get a free copy of your credit report and make sure there isn't crazy stuff on it. That said, it supposedly affects your credit score a little everytime someone checks it... but if you have zero history that shouldn't be a big issue.

It they really won't give you a card, and someone trusts you enough (like your parents maybe?) then that person could get the card and then ask for a card for you that is linked to his account. The problem for you is while you would have the card, I don't think it would give you any credit history, and the problem for the other person is that they are responsible for your spending.

That's the only sort of credit card co-signing I'm aware of...

All I'm really interested in are the rewards, outside of rent I only really spend maybe $150 a month on gas and groceries. I have a huge chunk of savings just sitting in my bank account cause I simply don't have a lot of bills. Does anyone know if they offer some sort of linked account security card maybe? Or if I go the secondary card route would I still have access to online account management/rewards etc. or is all that only for the primary card holder?

FREE 50 POINTS

Go to your account, and go to update it. Click the questionnaire tab (last one on right) and take for 50 points. Even if you have completed one before, this will be new.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sideswiper']One card I use a lot, the others not so much (mainly use them just when I can't use American Express). I rarely use debit, cash, or checks.

I was actually planning to use this card a lot but, oh well![/QUOTE]

Depending on what AmEx card you have, that might have been the problem. I remember seeing a show about credit cards once where they said that the American Express cards that do not have limits actually hurt your ability to get credit. It was sort of confusing, and this was years ago, so I don't know if it's true anymore.

[quote name='jh6269']Depending on what AmEx card you have, that might have been the problem. I remember seeing a show about credit cards once where they said that the American Express cards that do not have limits actually hurt your ability to get credit. It was sort of confusing, and this was years ago, so I don't know if it's true anymore.[/QUOTE]
It'll look like 100% utilization if you aren't careful. Instead of reporting your credit limit (you don't have one), your highest reported balance will be reported. If you're consistent in your charging patterns, your highest reported balance will be pretty close to your current reported balance every month, and you look like you're using the whole limit of the card or even going over it.

The trick to beating this is to have one month where you charge up a pretty big number, then keep subsequent months of charges significantly lower than this. But of course, don't spend money you wouldn't normally spend just to do this, and always pay in full each month.

They also said something about since there is no limit, they can't judge how far you've kept from your limit, or something to that effect. I guess we're talking about the same thing tho.

How long does it normally take for Sony to notify you when your item has shipped, specifically gift cards? I redeemed one on Monday and am still waiting for them to send me a shipping confirmation.

[quote name='Tyga24']How long does it normally take for Sony to notify you when your item has shipped, specifically gift cards? I redeemed one on Monday and am still waiting for them to send me a shipping confirmation.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean PSN cards? If so, they don't ship them, you go to your order and click on the small icon next to the completed order and you can see the virtual card there with the code.

I made the same mistake myself LOL

Pay attention to your points on this card when you buy Sony stuff too. I purchased a handycam on the sonyrewards website where they have 5 points per dollar spent plastered all over the site. Sony Card is still fighting with me saying they don't honor points purchased on Sonyrewards even though the website states it clearly on every single page that they do.

I am still arguing with them over the 888 points they still owe me for my purchase.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Pay attention to your points on this card when you buy Sony stuff too. I purchased a handycam on the sonyrewards website where they have 5 points per dollar spent plastered all over the site. Sony Card is still fighting with me saying they don't honor points purchased on Sonyrewards even though the website states it clearly on every single page that they do.

I am still arguing with them over the 888 points they still owe me for my purchase.[/QUOTE]

If you want the points, you have to make a charge to your Sony card from sonystyle.com. You'll get the 5x points, then you can fill out the credit form on the rewards site and it will use your points and credit your account.

[quote name='jh6269']If you want the points, you have to make a charge to your Sony card from sonystyle.com. You'll get the 5x points, then you can fill out the credit form on the rewards site and it will use your points and credit your account.[/QUOTE]
You would be wrong. Log in to your sonyrewards.com account and look for yourself.

also, I found this little nugget on the site as well...

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/clubs/sonycard/purchasecredit/

BonusPts_480x21.jpg

When you purchase Sony products at authorized retailers you’ll automatically receive 1 point per $1 spent. To receive the additional 2 points per $1 spent, you must submit the Purchase Credit form, per the instructions below. Please note that you’ll automatically receive the 5 bonus points per $1 spent for purchases made with your Sony Card or PlayStation Card at SonyStyle.com, Sony Style retail stores, and SonyRewards.com, so there’s no need to submit a Purchase Credit form.

[quote name='jh6269']It says each $1 spent, not each point spent.[/QUOTE]
Yes, and I spent $222 with them. I'm not talking about points spent I am actually referring to money spent.

Login to your sonyrewards account and you will see where it says points purchased also count. Look for the giant number 5.

But did you charge them to your card? That's the key part. I guess if you spent the real $ on your card at the rewards site, then yeah, you have to keep fighting.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']What are the "workarounds" the OP mentions to avoid the automatic 1000 point deduction when you register your 10th Sony Blu-Ray movie?[/QUOTE]

None really, you just stop at the 9th movie instead.

Fortunately I found this on Slickdeals:

If you have points on hold while you register the tenth disc, the system won't take those points. The daily and monthly prizes can hold 2000 points at a time (1000 for the monthly dream prize, and 2 days x 500 of daily prizes b/c of the lag taking points off hold). So if you have less than that, you don't have to lose any of the bluray points. Leave one point in your bank and you should be good. Tops off at 30 discs, at which point you get a 20% off electronics coupon too, which is pretty good.

bread's done
Back