The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

Yea I got it too today. I'm wondering if I could get two own vouchers and be eligible for this? It doesn't say that it has to be ONE item over 1,500. Also, there are no psn vouchers currently.

[quote name='n64ra']other than OOS PSN cards, what are available rewards?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much anything Sony makes. Televisions, camcorders, digital cameras, A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, DVD/Blu-ray movies, audio CDs, PS2/PS3/PSP systems and games. They have gift cards for stores and movie theaters too.

[quote name='darken']Yea I got it too today. I'm wondering if I could get two own vouchers and be eligible for this? It doesn't say that it has to be ONE item over 1,500. Also, there are no psn vouchers currently.[/QUOTE]

FYI, the fine print on the offer says "Only one reward per Cardmember."

[quote name='jallen']got an email with a free "blockbuster night" offer, if you didn't get the email, go to insider specials, add blockbuster night to your cart, use code BBN2009 to get it free. give it a try[/QUOTE]
Just used that tonight :D. Rang up to $15 before the coupon, so I was quite pleased. The initial price on the Sony website was only 500 points before the code, which is still a great deal for 2 movies, 2 pops, and a tub of popcorn, but I haven't checked if you can buy it whenever you want.

[quote name='Ocajavati']We were unable to apply that coupon to your cart.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's only for Sony/PS Card members, I used mine right before xmas, worked fine.

Only other reason it may have failed was because the coupon had a limited number of uses (was stated in email).

[quote name='Prophecize']I'm pretty sure it's only for Sony/PS Card members, I used mine right before xmas, worked fine.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I am a PS card holder. No workie here. :bomb:

[quote name='Ocajavati']Meh, god damn sonyrewards.

How long does it take to restock PSN codes? I would think of all things, they wouldn't run out of stock on that.[/QUOTE]

yeah god damn them! givin us free sh!t and all! who do they think they are!?!?

[quote name='jallen']yeah god damn them! givin us free sh!t and all! who do they think they are!?!?[/QUOTE]

Might be free shit for you, but I am a cardholder. It's nothing more than a regular 1-2% cashback reward for me.

Same goes for a lot of people.

Hence, we have a right to complain. You can choose to lay down and be slapped around, but that's your business.

[quote name='jallen']yeah god damn them! givin us free sh!t and all! who do they think they are!?!?[/QUOTE]
Free shit? I guess it's just as free as one of the 52" Bravia HDTVs or a Playstation3 system, if you have the points to redeem for those.

Say I am planning to buy a new ps3 and I use GS/GC credit and put the rest on the card, would I still get the extended warranty that the OP mentioned?

Dang, still out of stock of PSN vouchers...will have to buy a blockbuster card, which will then be used to buy PSN cards. =/

Not sure if people know the answer but figured I would ask here:

When you get a sony card - how do you register it with an existing sony rewards account or do you need to create a new sony rewards account?

And if you get 2 cards (one for me and one for my wife) - can I add the card benefits to both my sony rewards account and my wife's?

[quote name='vgossain']

And if you get 2 cards (one for me and one for my wife) - can I add the card benefits to both my sony rewards account and my wife's?[/QUOTE]

Both cards share the same number just has a different name.

Sony Rewards. You suck! PSN cards are "No Longer Available". There went my incentive to keep my card. I'm off to get a cash back card instead. Laaaame. It's a goddamn fake currency card to be spent exclusively on Sony games and content.

I guess since they're pushing so hard towards digital everything, it became too good of a deal.

Assholes.

[quote name='berzirk']Sony Rewards. You suck! PSN cards are "No Longer Available". There went my incentive to keep my card. I'm off to get a cash back card instead. Laaaame. It's a goddamn fake currency card to be spent exclusively on Sony games and content.

I guess since they're pushing so hard towards digital everything, it became too good of a deal.

Assholes.[/QUOTE]

You're being a little harsh here. It not like the end of the world if they take out the PSN vouchers. You can still redeem blockbuster giftcards and go there to buy PSN cards. Granted their rewards might not be best possible compare to other CC companies but at least you are getting something back from the money you are using. Don't be an ungrateful, ignorance person here after all the benefits you got from just using the money you were supposed to spent.

fucking stupid.

I emailed them more than a few times. They gave me generic responses, stating that more products will be restocked in a given period of time.

And now this bullshit? Go to hell Sonyrewards. Never using the card again.

[quote name='luan87us']You're being a little harsh here. It not like the end of the world if they take out the PSN vouchers. You can still redeem blockbuster giftcards and go there to buy PSN cards. Granted their rewards might not be best possible compare to other CC companies but at least you are getting something back from the money you are using. Don't be an ungrateful, ignorance person here after all the benefits you got from just using the money you were supposed to spent.[/QUOTE]

Every CC gives cashback. I'll take AmEx cash reward anytime. To hell with Sonyrewards, which was already terrible in term of cashback rate to begin with.

Not to mention it's literally impossible for them to actually run out of stock of the PSN voucher. It's just their way of saying fuck-you to the consumers.

[quote name='Ocajavati']fucking stupid.

I emailed them more than a few times. They gave me generic responses, stating that more products will be restocked in a given period of time.

And now this bullshit? Go to hell Sonyrewards. Never using the card again.

Every CC gives cashback. I'll take AmEx cash reward anytime. To hell with Sonyrewards, which was already terrible in term of cashback rate to begin with.

Not to mention it's literally impossible for them to actually run out of stock of the PSN voucher. It's just their way of saying fuck-you to the consumers.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly my point. It's a rewards program. I was enjoying a particular benefit, and one that wasn't even a tangible item which incurred inventory or materials costs. I was enjoying the cheapest item they offer, and they quit carrying that. As a consumer, I can elect to go elsewhere, and that's likely what I'll do. I'd hardly expect that I'm the only person pissed off by this on a site called "Cheap Ass Gamer".

[quote name='Ocajavati']
Not to mention it's literally impossible for them to actually run out of stock of the PSN voucher. It's just their way of saying fuck-you to the consumers.[/QUOTE]

You know, I used to think this too. Except that they do need actual voucher codes to give out, and they can only have a certain number of those at any one time.

I have been a sonycard holder since 2000. Their customer service is terrible. I have point requests I've sent with tracking that they claim they did not receive, yet items from the same envelope were processed. Right now I have 3 batches of receipts that have not been processed since early November.

I am trying to avoid using my card unless it is a SONY item, since it seems they offer you better deals if you start using the card again. Some people got 10,000 bonus points offers if they spent $1,500 in a 3 mo period.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I don't get all the love for the PSN cards. Personally, I am saving up for a big ticket item like a camcorder or BD player.[/QUOTE]

For me, I have the PSP 2000 (UMD drive) along with 16GB memory storage, so I can put quite a few games on the card. I head out for a weeklong business trip, I'm bringing 7 or so games with me, just on the memory card. Options while I'm away. Many of those games I'd never spend the DD cost on because I think they're overpriced, but when you're using imaginary money (a PSN card received through an awards program) it was easier to stomach.

Its a bit of a pain in the ass, but you all know you can buy a Sony product (like PSN card)at a store WITH YOUR SONY CARD, fill out a short form, and instead of that purchase showing up on your bill, have it paid by your point balance?
here's the form
https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/purchase_credit_form/

Just an option. Even if the rewards program sucks from now on, I got a PS3 for my brother at half price, over $100 in PSN credit, and I've never paid financing charges. So as a cheapassgamer, I still like the card at this point.

[quote name='chakan']Its a bit of a pain in the ass, but you all know you can buy a Sony product (like PSN card)at a store WITH YOUR SONY CARD, fill out a short form, and instead of that purchase showing up on your bill, have it paid by your point balance?
here's the form
https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/purchase_credit_form/

Just an option. Even if the rewards program sucks from now on, I got a PS3 for my brother at half price, over $100 in PSN credit, and I've never paid financing charges. So as a cheapassgamer, I still like the card at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yup, definitely an option, but it sounds like quite frequently they have some problem with processing them which can mean what you intended to be a free or discount item, ends up being full price. It's there, but as others have stated, their CS is pretty terrible, so it can be a gamble.

I FINALLY get enough points for a PS3 and they're out of stock. Has it been out of stock for a while? Any chance of them getting it back in stock soon?

[quote name='MrBrando']I FINALLY get enough points for a PS3 and they're out of stock. Has it been out of stock for a while? Any chance of them getting it back in stock soon?[/QUOTE]

Buy it from a store and redeem the points. If you order it from Sony, you're going to wait forever, at least that's what happened to another CAG.

Plus, you might be able to get a nice deal in a store.

[quote name='berzirk']Sony Rewards. You suck! PSN cards are "No Longer Available". There went my incentive to keep my card. I'm off to get a cash back card instead. Laaaame. It's a goddamn fake currency card to be spent exclusively on Sony games and content.

Assholes.[/QUOTE]

I recommend keeping the card to use other places (like Amazon) where you can buy Sony products much cheaper, and then use your points to credit back the money spent.

I've had pretty good luck redeeming my points for items in the past for things I bought in store. I've been waiting for 3-4 weeks for them to credit my bonus points for purchasing a Sony Vaio laptop from Newegg though....

3) Print the form and mail it within 60 days of purchase of your Sony item, along with a copy of your itemized sales receipt, packing slip, or order confirmation, to:

Do you have to PHYSICALLY mail in the form as the site suggests, or can the form be done online?

Really do not want to mail in letter.

Here's an easy way to earn 100 points thanks to Gamefly.

1. Sign out of Sony Rewards site.
2. Go to www.100freepoints.com
3. Click "Log in."
4. Sign into your account and type in the code "M3LR8GW."
5. Boo-yeah. :cool:

Points will not appear automatically. I tried this on 2 different accounts so the code is universal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ocajavati']Do you have to PHYSICALLY mail in the form as the site suggests, or can the form be done online?

Really do not want to mail in letter.[/QUOTE]

You have to submit a request online and then PHYSICALLY mail in the form/receipt.

Thanks for the 100 point deal.

As for the PSN cards, I don't see why they would just stop carrying them. They cost nothing to produce.. they would probably be happy if everyone spent all their points on PSN cards.

[quote name='Bad']Thanks for the 100 point deal.

As for the PSN cards, I don't see why they would just stop carrying them. They cost nothing to produce.. they would probably be happy if everyone spent all their points on PSN cards.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but they can't mark those up as much and I'm sure their margins on PSN titles is not what it is on many of their actual electronics and movies.

[quote name='Bad']Thanks for the 100 point deal.

As for the PSN cards, I don't see why they would just stop carrying them. They cost nothing to produce.. they would probably be happy if everyone spent all their points on PSN cards.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Oh well. I'm going to check my local blockbuster for PSN cards. I'm sure they will have some. The real question is, how much longer are my local blockbusters going to be hanging around?

[quote name='jughead']I was thinking the same thing. Oh well. I'm going to check my local blockbuster for PSN cards. I'm sure they will have some. The real question is, how much longer are my local blockbusters going to be hanging around?[/QUOTE]

Well there's always the Kmart cards.. they are listed as a PSN card retailer as well. I might check to make sure they actually have them first though.

[quote name='Ocajavati']Might be free shit for you, but I am a cardholder. It's nothing more than a regular 1-2% cashback reward for me.

Same goes for a lot of people.

Hence, we have a right to complain. You can choose to lay down and be slapped around, but that's your business.[/QUOTE]

when i refer to "free shit", i mean the ~$20/month worth of points you can earn on the website without dropping a dime on the card. My citi ThankYou rewards is practically useless, it takes 3500 points ($3500 spent on the card) to redeem for a $20 gift card, and to hell if they'd ever give away points like chase is with this card. I don't even use my sony card and i've already redeemed at least 5x the value on the sonyrewards site. If you're gonna bitch and moan, do it to the right people, don't do it here. I'm more than happy to keep this card and deal with rewards items coming and going like any normal storefront.

bread's done
Back